Options

[Computer Security Thread] CVEs, or "Crap! Vulnerabilities! Eughhhhh..."

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I will also say some of this is coming from self identified current and former employees online, could be total BS, but seems to fit with what little we do know

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    No MFA...

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Apparently people also can't get out of some parking lots because of the hack.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Yikes. That bit about the malicious actors stealing employee information to perform identity theft is particularly scary.

Once again, Information Security is every company's last priority - Until it suddenly becomes their first.

It's one of the trademarks of this particular actor and also just a general area where a lot of firms have weak processes. Directing more resources towards securing digital phishing rather than call based attacks combined with help desk metrics that prioritize quickly closing tickets with positive conclusions leaves you rather vulnerable in this area.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Using “metrics” as a primary motivator is usually a bad sign. They’re helpful to have when you need to investigate an anomaly but otherwise don’t promote good behaviour or service. They should try actually looking after and managing their teams.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Using “metrics” as a primary motivator is usually a bad sign. They’re helpful to have when you need to investigate an anomaly but otherwise don’t promote good behaviour or service. They should try actually looking after and managing their teams.

“When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure”

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    "What is the name of your dog?" is an excellent illustration of why security questions are just complete crap in this day and age.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

I mean, metrics are the only way to understand behavior at scale. That said, they should be tied to actions and practices as it's just meant as a shorthand proxy for other things.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Yikes. That bit about the malicious actors stealing employee information to perform identity theft is particularly scary.

Once again, Information Security is every company's last priority - Until it suddenly becomes their first.

Still one of my favorite strips

uz19dtc3icix.png

Also, make sure you're updating your browsers.... or literally anything that uses libwebp. There's a "heap buffer overflow" security vulnerability with webp files that can be used to run malicious code.

https://stackdiary.com/critical-vulnerability-in-webp-codec-cve-2023-4863/
    A significant vulnerability in the WebP Codec has been unearthed, prompting major browser vendors, including Google and Mozilla, to expedite the release of updates to address the issue.

⚠️ Important: Let me make it perfectly clear that this vulnerability doesn't just affect web browsers, it affects any software that uses the libwebp library. This includes Electron-based applications, for example - Signal. Electron patched the vulnerability yesterday. Also, software like Honeyview (from Bandisoft) released an update to fix the issue. CVE-2023-4863 was falsely marked as Chrome-only by Mitre and other organizations that track CVE's and 100% of media reported this issue as "Chrome only", when it's not.

👉 Who uses libwebp? There are a lot of applications that use libwebp to render WebP images, I already mentioned a few of them, but some of the others that I know include: Affinity (the design software), Gimp, Inkscape, LibreOffice, Telegram, Thunderbird (now patched), ffmpeg, and many, many Android applications as well as cross-platform apps built with Flutter.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Fucking Webp!!!

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    does anything that can parse webp images inherently use that library?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    does anything that can parse webp images inherently use that library?

Probably.

• Options
    hope discord patches that quickly then

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Fucking Webp!!!

*drag image from browser to desktop*

image.webp

robert-downey-jr-shocked.gif

Echo on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Stuff like this is why it'd be so much nicer if Electron worked like Tauri and just used the system webview widget instead of bundling an entire browser. Now I gotta got not one high priority update for the OS, but probably a dozen individual app updates. If the developers are on top of things. It's very inefficient.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    Stuff like this is why it'd be so much nicer if Electron worked like Tauri and just used the system webview widget instead of bundling an entire browser. Now I gotta got not one high priority update for the OS, but probably a dozen individual app updates. If the developers are on top of things. It's very inefficient.

Maybe Electron was a mistake

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Frem wrote: »

Maybe Electron was a mistake

reject electron, return to quark soup

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Nice breakdown of the webp thingie.

https://blog.isosceles.com/the-webp-0day/

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    So is this one of those situations like the xkcd comic where the entire infrastructure of the Internet is dependent on the same tiny library that some dude in Nebraska last updated in 2010?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Here's a data security question for folks:

How can you best handle off-site backups in a manner that's secure? I know a lot of people use Backblaze or a similar service, but the cloud is famously nothing more than someone else's computer. There's a risk of compromise there, and beyond that, you need to run software that effectively siphons off files from your computer silently - Something I imagine can be hijacked pretty easily if an enterprising malefactor wants to put in the effort.

Is there any other option other than doing a manual backup and physically transporting it somewhere else?

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I think part of the reason why cloud storage would be popular in this situation is not because it's secure or not but because it passes off liability to a third party.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    In the case of Backblaze, I think they never have your encryption keys -- it's encrypted locally, so if you ever lose your key, you can't restore it.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    In the case of Backblaze, I think they never have your encryption keys -- it's encrypted locally, so if you ever lose your key, you can't restore it.

It looks like maybe that step is extra/optional. They encrypt the data, but you can also set a personal passphrase to add to the encryption that only you would have.

https://www.backblaze.com/cloud-backup/features/backup-encryption

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    That makes me feel better about the storage of data on the server side, if it's encrypted locally.

Isn't there some significant risk inherent to the software necessary, though? I imagine it'd be easy to hijack, or use as a backdoor.

• Options
    That makes me feel better about the storage of data on the server side, if it's encrypted locally.

Isn't there some significant risk inherent to the software necessary, though? I imagine it'd be easy to hijack, or use as a backdoor.

Are you concerned about vendor supply chain compromise or just local compromise? If your local machine is compromised to the point they could compromise your backup app, they could already do anything they want with your data without bothering with that extra step of compromising the app.

• Options

Are you concerned about vendor supply chain compromise or just local compromise? If your local machine is compromised to the point they could compromise your backup app, they could already do anything they want with your data without bothering with that extra step of compromising the app.

My concern is largely that there would be some manner of supply chain of command with the vendor, because that has become shockingly common these days.

The secondary concern is that a piece of software like this effectively widens the exposed attack surface of a local machine. Not so much "it was already compromised" so much as it is "an exploit in this software - which is constantly listening and constantly sending data - was leveraged to compromise the local machine". Security software don't much like these kinds of applications, and I presume it's for this reason.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    If you want offsite backup but not the cloud, there's always the option of an encrypted external hard drive in a storage locker.

• Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    If you want offsite backup but not the cloud, there's always the option of an encrypted external hard drive in a storage locker.

I suppose that IS the most secure option to take, all things considered. It requires diligence and upkeep, but it's by far the least risky way to do things.

• Options
    So is this one of those situations like the xkcd comic where the entire infrastructure of the Internet is dependent on the same tiny library that some dude in Nebraska last updated in 2010?

Sorta? Pretty sure it's a Google maintained library and API but the library is present everywhere

• Options
    Yeah the webp standard and libraries belong to google, so point fingers thataway

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

That Lastpass shade, though...

• Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

I suppose that IS the most secure option to take, all things considered. It requires diligence and upkeep, but it's by far the least risky way to do things.

I would not find that the least operationally risky. Everything is about acceptable risk. The risk there since it's a fully manual task is that it simply doesn't get done, gets forgotten about, or isn't done on a regular or frequent enough basis. The overall risk to your data and frequency of you needing to do a restore and not having a viable backup is going to be far greater than the low, but admittedly never zero, chance of a supply chain compromise of your backup vendor.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

That Lastpass shade, though...

Evergreen thread title.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Fairly easily exploitable buffer overflow in glibc
    https://www.qualys.com/2023/10/03/cve-2023-4911/looney-tunables-local-privilege-escalation-glibc-ld-so.txt

This crashes:
    "GLIBC_TUNABLES=glibc.malloc.mxfast=glibc.malloc.mxfast=A" "Z=`printf '%08192x' 1`" /usr/bin/su --help

• Options
    Apparently there have been quite a few python packages that have been recently reported to steal data and send it to malicious parties.
    A malicious campaign that researchers observed growing more complex over the past half year, has been planting on open-source platforms hundreds of info-stealing packages that counted about 75,000 downloads.

The campaign has been monitored since early April by analysts at Checkmarx's Supply Chain Security team, who discovered 272 packages with code for stealing sensitive data from targeted systems.

The attack has evolved significantly since it was first identified, with the package authors implementing increasingly more sophisticated obfuscation layers and detection evading techniques.
    Once it launches, it targets the following information on the infected systems:
    • Antivirus tools running on the device.
    • Tasks list, Wi-Fi passwords, and system information.
    • Credentials, browsing history, cookies, and payment information stored on web browsers.
    • Data in cryptocurrency wallet apps like Atomic and Exodus.
    • Discord badges, phone numbers, email addresses, and nitro status.
    • Minecraft and Roblox user data.

Additionally, the malware can take screenshots and steal individual files from the compromised system such as the Desktop, Pictures, Documents, Music, Videos, and Downloads directories.

A reminder that just because something is open source, that doesn't mean it's safe.

A list of the malicious packages can be found here

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    And a reminder that even if you avoided one of these packages, you'll need to make sure it's not transitively included in one of the packages you did include.

• Options
    huff puff I heard supply chain attack and came as fast as I could

• Options
    This CVE has been out for a couple of days but CISA just published an advisory on a pre-auth privesc 0-day in Confluence, evidence of ongoing exploitation and open source PoCs floating around. Just in case anyone manages confluence and missed it

https://www.cisa.gov/news-events/cybersecurity-advisories/aa23-289a

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Are we still happy with MSE / Windows Security for day-to-day firewall at home. It's been a while since I checked in whether that has changed

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I was browsing Reddit and someone asked about password security and a bunch of people mentioned using spaces on their passwords for increased security. When questioned on it they replied that only older, out of date systems would be unable to tolerate a space. Is that true? I have probably 30 or 40 password saved into my password manager and i don't think a single one of them allowed spaces. Am i just somehow missing that part of the Internet or were those people full of shit? Like i understand, loosely, why spaces were not allowed before, and obviously tech has come a long way since the early 2000's, but i didn't think that was one thing that had changed.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion