As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Computer Security Thread] CVEs, or "Crap! Vulnerabilities! Eughhhhh..."

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    My biggest gripe with Apple is that it follows a design ethos that appears to assume that people are too stupid to use more than one button at a time. Everything from their mice to their phones has this issue.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I appreciate the level of thought that goes into Apple's UI and hardware design, but I cannot stand the lack of customization. I like to tweak damn near every aspect of my phone, and Apple's philosophy that they know best for everyone grates. Plus the Apple tax is asinine.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    I appreciate the level of thought that goes into Apple's UI and hardware design, but I cannot stand the lack of customization. I like to tweak damn near every aspect of my phone, and Apple's philosophy that they know best for everyone grates. Plus the Apple tax is asinine.

The gnashing of teeth involved with me trying to set up icons on my mom's iPhone 6 so she can see her wallpaper. My God, why do they do such stupid shit like that?

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    I prefer android, but I recommend iphones to people all the time just because they are better at getting patches out. Everything else is just personal preference IMO

I've been pimping the Pixel phones pretty hard because of the monthly updates. I use a Pixel 2 XL right now and it's great. But before that I had a Motorola Turbo which only got 2-3 updates the entire two and a half years I had it, and while I was happy with the phone even after 2 years, the last "patch" made my phone unusable. So until other android phone makers get better about monthly patches. It's either a Pixel or an iPhone for me.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    My biggest gripe with Apple is that it follows a design ethos that appears to assume that people are too stupid to use more than one button at a time. Everything from their mice to their phones has this issue.

And then you just have to press the Apple key and your mouse button at the same time.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Uh, since we're on the topic of mobile phones and security... Apparently Samsung phones are spontaneously sending photos to random people in the contact list, without approval?
    Bad news for Samsung phone owners: some devices are randomly sending your camera roll photos to your contacts without permission. As first spotted by Android Central and later covered by Gizmodo, users are complaining about the issue on Reddit and the company’s official forums. One user says his phone sent all his photos to his girlfriend. The messages are being sent through Samsung’s default texting app Samsung Messages. According to reports, the Messages app does not even show users that files have been sent; many just find out after they get a response from the recipient of the random photos sent to them.

By all accounts it's not a targeted attack, but it still seems... bad.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Xaviar wrote: »
    There are actually quite a few android phones that I like better than apple, hardware-wise.

But I hate android. It feels so clunky compared to iOS.

And I don't think that's an "Oh apple design is just so polished!" thing.

I think OSX is gross and clunky too. Even compared to some linux distros. I just think the iOS team did a pretty good job, and their competition did a terrible job. (Not that android is objectively BAD, just that it has bad mouth-feel)

But yes, LD50. Your list of points is basically my thought process.

I switched over to Android about a year ago (after having a surprising time actually finding a handset that met my physical requirements: Qi charging, a MicroSD card, and of course, a headphone jack), and after a rough transition period, got used to it (it also made me the only person I know personally who's using a Blackberry Android handset).

Since then, I've found that Android's greatest advantage (the app ecosystem) has also become it's greatest frustration (if an app breaks, you are shit out of luck)--and the state of Android apps increasingly means I'd rather lug my Surface Pro around and use that for anything that takes longer than a five-second email or news check. The different aspects of Android functionality that I use the most--syncing texts and sending alerts to PC, switching between WIFI networks, bluetooth devices--always seem to be either broken or minutes away from breaking. It's gotten to the point where I'm thinking about going back to my Lumia 830, of all things. It works better much better with my car, it responds faster, the battery lasts longer (and charges faster wirelessly). After amusing myself with the Westworld game for an hour and realizing I cannot give a shit about Pokemon Go as hard as I try, pretty much the only app that I'd lose is Google Pay (which actually works surprisingly well now, whereas when I started using Android Pay it sucked).

Basically, I don't take advantage of enough that Android does, and what I do seems to be unreliable or broken (except Google Pay). It's easy to say, "Well, it's obviously your Handset," except trying to troubleshoot these issues strongly suggests it isn't--these are things that can happen with any Android handset, and come down to the apps themselves and luck of the draw. "Android 7.0 might fix the issue. Or it might not. Who the fuck knows?" The two things I really like about Android that still work--my music app (Pulsar+) and my podcast app (Podcast addict) aren't so much exclusive to Android as reflecting the diversity of options you do have (which is nice). I don't play mobile games (I couldn't keep interest in a 3DS or Switch for the same reason), my app needs are very simplistic, and I miss how well my very-limited Lumia 830 used to integrate with the handful of things it could. I'd probably be a prime target for conversion to Apple if 1) iTunes wasn't still terrible in Windows 2) iOS wasn't such an enormous joke where I come from 3) their handsets--and their dealbreaking lack of features I want--didn't make my skin crawl at the price points you find them.

Humorously enough, I'm actually pretty confident in the security of my Blackberry Priv...compared to other Android handsets, anyway. But otherwise, I just generally dislike my phone and avoid using it whenever I can.

Except for music. And occasionally Google Pay.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    FWIW, the Blackberry KEYONE was well received and has aged fairly well. Similarly, the KEYTWO will be released later this year and by all accounts, it's a very good iterative upgrade to the KEYONE.

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    FWIW, the Blackberry KEYONE was well received and has aged fairly well. Similarly, the KEYTWO will be released later this year and by all accounts, it's a very good iterative upgrade to the KEYONE.

I actually dislike the idea of a fixed keyboard (while the sliding keyboard was a nice bonus, my main motivations for the Priv were the MicroSD slot and the Qi charging along with the very high screen resolution). It's not as bad as "not having a heapdhone jack", but I'd probably pass them up for a handset without it, but the other things.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Uh, since we're on the topic of mobile phones and security... Apparently Samsung phones are spontaneously sending photos to random people in the contact list, without approval?
    Bad news for Samsung phone owners: some devices are randomly sending your camera roll photos to your contacts without permission. As first spotted by Android Central and later covered by Gizmodo, users are complaining about the issue on Reddit and the company’s official forums. One user says his phone sent all his photos to his girlfriend. The messages are being sent through Samsung’s default texting app Samsung Messages. According to reports, the Messages app does not even show users that files have been sent; many just find out after they get a response from the recipient of the random photos sent to them.

By all accounts it's not a targeted attack, but it still seems... bad.

That sound you hear is android users furiously deleting all of the nudes they have saved on their phones.

As far as phone security is concerned I like Apple's walled garden. Their app ecosystem has just consistently been more secure than Anroid's (I seem to recall android working on that a few years back, is it any better now?).

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    To be fair, it's only Samsung users who are impacted, not all Android users. But yeah, that's a significant market share, and I can presume that quite a few people aren't happy right now.

That's a special kind of hell, too, that it doesn't actually let you know if it sent anything out - It just does. Stewing in that mess doesn't sound like fun.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Specifically, it is samsung android users on t-mobile's new messaging infrastructure who are using the Samsung messaging app.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Mugsley wrote: »

I actually dislike the idea of a fixed keyboard (while the sliding keyboard was a nice bonus, my main motivations for the Priv were the MicroSD slot and the Qi charging along with the very high screen resolution). It's not as bad as "not having a heapdhone jack", but I'd probably pass them up for a handset without it, but the other things.

Keyboards... Man I miss the Droid.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Edge is considered a pretty secure browser right? Is there a way to use an ad blocker with it?

• Options
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Edge is considered a pretty secure browser right? Is there a way to use an ad blocker with it?

After checking Edge on my phone, I can confirm: yes. I think Edge on my Android came with Ad Block as a content blocking extension, since I cannot ever recall looking for Edge extensions on Android.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    If I wanted a chrome adblock on my pixel would I need to root it?

• Options
    Carpy wrote: »
    If I wanted a chrome adblock on my pixel would I need to root it?

Android chrome doesn't support addons, but there is an app you can get called Blokada that can adblock your entire phone. It doesn't require root permissions to be installed/used.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Firefox mobile is pretty good and it does support add-ons.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Surprising literally nobody, tons of HP printers are vulnerable to a remote code execution attack and need their firmware updated:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/hp-printer-over-100-inkjet-models-have-two-critical-bugs-so-patch-now-warns-hp/

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Firefox mobile is pretty good and it does support add-ons.

Last time I tried FF mobile it was ridiculously slow. Especially here on the PA forums. Seems like it kept getting hung up on how the forums scroll and I would just see blank spots while the rest of the messages were loading.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    After taking it for granted that there's probably no way to backup my save data in Neko Atsume, which, along with the Podcast Addict app, are the only things I need to bother backing up on my Android phone (eh, maybe texts as well?), I'm hoping that completely scrubbing my phone back to factory settings might help with the various Windows 10 app alerts/texting issues. It's worth a shot, right?

I considered buying an economic handset to replace the Priv, but I really haven't had it that long, and it would suck to buy a handset only to find it had the exact same issues a few months later.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    So, the windows 10 alerts/texting just doesn't work reliably. It worked fine on my phone for a while, then just... didn't for a long time. then it started working again.

I eventually just gave up on the concept.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    You can do messages.android.com now, if you want to access your texts from the web.

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    You can do messages.android.com now, if you want to access your texts from the web.

you have to use the Google SMS app, but it works flawlessly and I use it all the time.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    It worked well on my last phone (not surprising), and I don't really like using the Google SMS app--plus, as far as I know, that's separate from app notifications and other alerts.

"Thing worked great...until it didn't. Considered giving up," pretty much sums up my limited experience with Android as it is. I could use Google's own websites to send texts, but it was inconvenient enough to discourage me from doing so.

• Options
    It worked well on my last phone (not surprising), and I don't really like using the Google SMS app--plus, as far as I know, that's separate from app notifications and other alerts.

"Thing worked great...until it didn't. Considered giving up," pretty much sums up my limited experience with Android as it is. I could use Google's own websites to send texts, but it was inconvenient enough to discourage me from doing so.

To be fair, at least it's a thing that's possible on Android, it isn't at all on iOS unless you live 100% in the mac ecosystem. Microsoft is making improvements at the phone integration stuff, but it's slow. the first bits of a feature that will let you actually browse your Android phone's content through a file browser as long as your on the same wifi network are live in the Insider releases. Right now in the first test of it is limited to photos, and only the first 25, but you can see the improvements coming.

Basically they've had to overhaul the entire phone interface.... interface. Originally it was intended to only work with Windows Phone, and once they finally gave up on that they have been trying to re-work it to work with Android without actually breaking anything. It'll get there.

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    Dunno if this has been posted yet, but I want to die.

• Options
    wunderbar wrote: »

To be fair, at least it's a thing that's possible on Android, it isn't at all on iOS unless you live 100% in the mac ecosystem. Microsoft is making improvements at the phone integration stuff, but it's slow. the first bits of a feature that will let you actually browse your Android phone's content through a file browser as long as your on the same wifi network are live in the Insider releases. Right now in the first test of it is limited to photos, and only the first 25, but you can see the improvements coming.

Basically they've had to overhaul the entire phone interface.... interface. Originally it was intended to only work with Windows Phone, and once they finally gave up on that they have been trying to re-work it to work with Android without actually breaking anything. It'll get there.

No, you're right, it isn't a thing on iOS--or at least, I don't think Cortana on iOS is capable of that, which would be the most obvious avenue to do that. That's a direct reason for me having gone with an Android phone in the first place (that...and a bunch of other reasons I listed above, not the least of which was no MicroSD slot, no headphone jack, nonexistent handset options and the abomination that is iTunes in Windows).

The problem is that it is there--it worked for months. It still works for some people. But part of the Android experience is, for some people, "Shit breaks and that's just how it is." It's not unique to Android, but let's be honest, it happens a lot with Android apps. I barely use the Google Play store, and I probably have a dozen apps that worked at some point, and don't anymore, and I just have to live with it.

That's why I'm thinking of wiping my phone, and not chucking it in and going back to my "ancient" Lumia 830.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Oh blockchain powered? That'll be fine.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Shadowfire wrote: »

It's not, the user found that it's actually running on prem mongodb. Along with that discovery they found the passwords for the database published in clear text on github, where some of the voatz source code was also easily found.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options

It's not, the user found that it's actually running on prem mongodb. Along with that discovery they found the passwords for the database published in clear text on github, where some of the voatz source code was also easily found.

... Surprising literally nobody.

I feel like I said that recently...

• Options

No, you're right, it isn't a thing on iOS--or at least, I don't think Cortana on iOS is capable of that, which would be the most obvious avenue to do that. That's a direct reason for me having gone with an Android phone in the first place (that...and a bunch of other reasons I listed above, not the least of which was no MicroSD slot, no headphone jack, nonexistent handset options and the abomination that is iTunes in Windows).

The problem is that it is there--it worked for months. It still works for some people. But part of the Android experience is, for some people, "Shit breaks and that's just how it is." It's not unique to Android, but let's be honest, it happens a lot with Android apps. I barely use the Google Play store, and I probably have a dozen apps that worked at some point, and don't anymore, and I just have to live with it.

That's why I'm thinking of wiping my phone, and not chucking it in and going back to my "ancient" Lumia 830.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I can tell you that I've literally never encountered that specific of problems. You have a Priv right? that was blackberry's first Android phone, and was regarded as a buggy phone. I'll bet with a better, higher quality phone you'd have a better experience.

• Options

We're all going to die.

• Options
    edited August 2018

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I can tell you that I've literally never encountered that specific of problems. You have a Priv right? that was blackberry's first Android phone, and was regarded as a buggy phone. I'll bet with a better, higher quality phone you'd have a better experience.

I mean, I know that--you've already said as much (or at least I thought you did). You can bet that all you want, and there's a decent change that'll be the case, but I know a fact that this same thing can happen with OnePlus phones, Galaxy handsets, the Google Pixel, and other phones, because those are some of the handsets people report having in the Google Plus community dedicated to these problems. I'm literally the only person with a Priv, which is the least surprising part of this. You probably are better acquainted the reliability of those models than I am--I assume they run the gamut. I think it's pretty self-explanatory why I'm not going to buy an entirely new handset, hope the problems are fixed (for however long), and lose the features I actually do like on the Priv (like the keyboard). Especially when wiping the phone only costs as much as probably my Neko Atsume save.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I can tell this is unquestionably an issue for some people--unless you're suggesting all those people are lying, which I doubt on both counts. We're just the unlucky ones, it has to happen to someone after all.

Synthesis on
  • Options

I mean, I know that--you've already said as much (or at least I thought you did). You can bet that all you want, and there's a decent change that'll be the case, but I know a fact that this same thing happens with OnePlus phones, Galaxy handsets, the Google Pixel, and other phones, because those are some of the handsets people report having in the Google Plus community dedicated to these problems. I'm literally the only person with a Priv, which is the least surprising part of this. You probably are better acquainted the reliability of those models than I am--I assume they run the gamut.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I can tell this is unquestionably an issue for some people--unless you're suggesting all those people are lying, which I doubt on both counts. We're just the unlucky ones, it has to happen to someone after all.

yea, there's also the tyranny of the silent majority. Samsung sells approximately a zillion and a half phones a year. a thread on an internet forum with a couple dozen people complaining about a problem is not indicative of the wider experience. That doesn't diminish the problems they actually do have, but I think in general we're too quick to look at the tiny vocal group and assume they represent the majority. (this isn't the case just with phones, it's true of pretty much anything you can think of now).

Anyway, how about that computer security? I hear it's a thing now.

• Options
    That silent majority is why it's fine to leave the users to fix this shit themselves. "What are you going to do, buy an iPhone?" No, you've called my bluff. But I'm going to just throw money at the problem either.

See, that's how I tie it back to the topic.

• Options

Followup to this:

voting_software.png

• Options
    And people rag on paper ballot voting!

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Ok I am only vaguely familiar with what Blockchain actually is. From my understanding it just stores a "block" of data, and chains it to the next block of data without overriding the previously stored data and keeping a ledger of all activity thats secured by a mathematical proof that if the software doesn't know the answer to already is very hard to force? And somehow its suppose to be more secure?

Like I know people who seem really excited by cryptocurrency and stuff because blockchain but when I ask about what about it they are so excited for I just get back "Well its the chain!" and that answers nothing.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Ok I am only vaguely familiar with what Blockchain actually is. From my understanding it just stores a "block" of data, and chains it to the next block of data without overriding the previously stored data and keeping a ledger of all activity thats secured by a mathematical proof that if the software doesn't know the answer to already is very hard to force? And somehow its suppose to be more secure?

Like I know people who seem really excited by cryptocurrency and stuff because blockchain but when I ask about what about it they are so excited for I just get back "Well its the chain!" and that answers nothing.

the modern meaning of "blockchain" is "buzzword attached to a scam"

BahamutZERO.gif