Options

The New Comic Thread for Monday, December 21, 2009

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    When the fuck are they bringing back Spelljammer is what I want to know.

giff_character2.jpg

Motherfucking space hippo people.

august on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Mor Lik LOLthmas
    amirite?

That's what I thought it actually was, at first glance.
    MacGuffin wrote: »
    Flay.jpg
    Druhim wrote: »
    that's a pretty bad edit

I approve of it. It's better than any edit I could think up for it, being too distracted by the idea of "LOLthmas". And since we're going into Continuity on this for the next 3 comics, I doubt I'll be coming up with any edits of my own until the arc's over.

It's also a useful all-purpose interjection on its own.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Edcrab wrote: »
    JoeUser wrote: »
    I thought that it was spelled Lloth, but it turns out both are right.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Lolth is a fictional goddess in the Dungeons and Dragons fantasy role-playing game. Lolth (Lloth in the drow dialect), the Demon Queen of Spiders, is the chief goddess of drow elves. She is also known as the Spider Queen and the Queen of the Demonweb Pits.

Thank you Wikipedia!

"Alternate spelling is another language" excuse to address some inconsistent spelling

Woohoo fantasy worldbuilding

isn't this basically how they justified the Star wars thing of "did the Kessel run in 20 parsecs", except instead of spelling it was more bullshit about gravity wells and plotting a course around them?

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    just cast Harm over and over

::golf-clap::

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Caulk Bite wrote: »
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Lolth is a fictional goddess in the Dungeons and Dragons fantasy role-playing game. Lolth (Lloth in the drow dialect), the Demon Queen of Spiders, is the chief goddess of drow elves. She is also known as the Spider Queen and the Queen of the Demonweb Pits.

Thank you Wikipedia!

"Alternate spelling is another language" excuse to address some inconsistent spelling

isn't this basically how they justified the Star wars thing of "did the Kessel run in 20 parsecs", except instead of spelling it was more bullshit about gravity wells and plotting a course around them?

12 parsecs

god

Khavall on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You know what this comic needs is some surprise Beholders in episode 3.

The Illithid and the Drow put their differences aside to deal with the mutual threat, each acquiring a begrudging respect and admiration for the other.

Then the Illithid suck the Drows' goddamn brains out with their terrifying slavering beaks, and sacrifice the children to Ilsensine, the terrifying pulsating omiscient brain-goddess.

You know, holiday shit.

august on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Anyone have a link to the "Our Crucial Pamphlet" podcast? I said it in the last thread, but the podcast directory is dead.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    just cast Harm over and over

I read this as "Just cast Ham over and over"

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Wikipedia wrote:

Thank you Wikipedia!

somebody explained this to me and i thought it sounded very reasonable until i realized how retarded it was

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Wikipedia wrote:

Thank you Wikipedia!

somebody explained this to me and i thought it sounded very reasonable until i realized how retarded it was

The way Gabe explains it in one of the podcasts it's supposed to be a measure of how close he got to the black holes, and you'd have to be extremely talented to get that close.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    august wrote: »
    You know what this comic needs is some surprise Beholders in episode 3.

The Illithid and the Drow put their differences aside to deal with the mutual threat, each acquiring a begrudging respect and admiration for the other.

Then the Illithid suck the Drows' goddamn brains out with their terrifying slavering beaks, and sacrifice the children to Ilsensine, the terrifying pulsating omiscient brain-goddess.

You know, holiday shit.

so this becomes a jack chick tract

Quoth on
  • Options
    trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Wicked comic can't wait.

I would probably read a whole novel in this format, actually.

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Wikipedia wrote:

Thank you Wikipedia!

The way Gabe explains it in one of the podcasts it's supposed to be a measure of how close he got to the black holes, and you'd have to be extremely talented to get that close.

Well, without dying anyway.

JayKaos on
    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I must concede that I have an irrational hatred of elves and especially drow after numerous years of being a DM. Especially when someone decided it would be a fantastic idea to have a billion subraces of elves for no coherent reason.

The more of them the Illithids eat the better.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    drow are like the vampires of the dnd world

potentially cool when used properly as horrible evil bastards

stupid dumb when made all goody-goody by people who can't write characters for beans.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I thought vampires were the vampires of the D&D world.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    And Drow are always terrible and I know because I've read every D&D novel ever.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

No, vampires are the werewolves of the D&D world.

Garthor on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Wikipedia wrote:

Thank you Wikipedia!

Well, without dying anyway.

I don't want to pull this any farther off-topic but Han's skill isn't the issue, he's boasting about the Falcon's speed, and no matter how you try to spin that a parsec is still a measure of distance. It was a slip-up, and one that cannot be explained away by Star Wars nerds, no matter how hard they try.

freakish light on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    What if parsecs or whatever just means something different in star wars talk

Javen on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Garthor wrote: »
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

No, vampires are the werewolves of the D&D world.

yes, there is a complex hierarchy here

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I've never understood why fandoms have to go to such length to explain that "no, the author was just kinda lazy, made a mistake or wasn't that good to begin with"

Lloth/lolth
    Yeards
    Parsecs
    Harry Potter

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    because fans are anal and pedantic

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    akesoakeso Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I don't know how many ways I can call this strip idea genius.

akeso on
    primeval-warrior-sig.jpg
  • Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Javen wrote: »
    Wikipedia wrote:
    The Falcon is often connected to the Kessel Run, a pathway from Kessel past the Maw Black Hole Cluster used by smugglers to transport precious Glitterstim spice.[8] Solo in A New Hope brags that the Falcon made the Kessel Run in "less than twelve parsecs". As this is a unit of distance, not time, different explanations have been provided. In the Expanded Universe, it refers to his ability to move the ship closer to the Maw's black holes and therefore cut the distance traveled.[8] On the A New Hope DVD audio commentary, Lucas comments that, in the Star Wars universe, traveling through hyperspace requires careful navigation to avoid stars, planets, asteroids, and other obstacles,[9] and that since no long-distance journey can be made in a straight line, the "fastest" ship is the one that can plot the "most direct course", thereby traveling the least distance.[9] The novelization backs away and changes the line to "twelve Standard Time Units."

Darric on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    Hahahahah, standard time units.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm surprised no one has yet complained about the fact that they base this year's christmas story arc around D&D. I guess it also counts as a video game reference because there have been multiple games with mind flayers and drow in them.

Platy on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    SabreMau on
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I didn't remember that one. It wasn't very christmas-y.

[edit]
    Holy shit, "christmassy" is a real word.

Platy on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    There have been at least 8 strips this year so far dealing with D&D gaming without involving video gaming. I guess ever since they're both on board with the dice, it's a more on-topic topic.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    BerkBerk THE BUDGIE SMUGGLER Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    SabreMau wrote: »
    There have been at least 8 strips this year so far dealing with D&D gaming without involving video gaming. I guess ever since they're both on board with the dice, it's a more on-topic topic.

Berk on
    sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    berk you are a national treasure

Pony on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I must concede that I have an irrational hatred of elves and especially drow after numerous years of being a DM. Especially when someone decided it would be a fantastic idea to have a billion subraces of elves for no coherent reason.

The more of them the Illithids eat the better.

because different races of humans are terrible too?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Khavall wrote: »
    Wikipedia wrote:

Thank you Wikipedia!

12 parsecs

god

well, I knew the number started with a 'twe' sound...

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    yes

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    BackstopBackstop Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    License to Illithid

Backstop on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Backstop wrote: »
    License to Illithid

From Page 1 With Love

Butler on
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Darric wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    Wikipedia wrote:
    The Falcon is often connected to the Kessel Run, a pathway from Kessel past the Maw Black Hole Cluster used by smugglers to transport precious Glitterstim spice.[8] Solo in A New Hope brags that the Falcon made the Kessel Run in "less than twelve parsecs". As this is a unit of distance, not time, different explanations have been provided. In the Expanded Universe, it refers to his ability to move the ship closer to the Maw's black holes and therefore cut the distance traveled.[8] On the A New Hope DVD audio commentary, Lucas comments that, in the Star Wars universe, traveling through hyperspace requires careful navigation to avoid stars, planets, asteroids, and other obstacles,[9] and that since no long-distance journey can be made in a straight line, the "fastest" ship is the one that can plot the "most direct course", thereby traveling the least distance.[9] The novelization backs away and changes the line to "twelve Standard Time Units."

Wizard.

jwalk on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    august wrote: »
    When the fuck are they bringing back Spelljammer is what I want to know.

giff_character2.jpg

Motherfucking space hippo people.

that hippo is showing a disturbing slice of hippo thigh

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Look, I don't fucking know.

It's fucking Star Wars, quite possibly the last thing ever you should get bent out of shape if something doesn't connect directly from the movies to real life

Javen on
This discussion has been closed.