As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You think this letter on my head stands for [Awesome Moments]?! NSF56K

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    I like the idea that Deathstroke was doing well enough to get 2 annuals back then.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I really did enjoy most of the Bloodlines heroes like Gunfire, Sparx, Ballistic, Myriad, etc.

Superman_Annual_Vol_2_5.jpg

I know it's kind of reviled now, but at the time (when I was sixteen or so) it was the most awesome series ever.

Hitman was one of the best, shortest little runs of a book, too.

841115-hitman_lobo_01_33_super.jpg

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Best part is how Hitman managed to get Lobo to not kill him.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    oh god, I'd forgotten about lobo

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    oh god, I'd forgotten about lobo

He's coming back in June

ISN'T LIEFELD GREAT

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Lobo is awesome, chumps and chumpettes.

I mean, I have no doubt that he'll be terribly used in Deathstroke, but the character's been used to terrific effect before. I need to dig up my copy of Green Lantern Corps Quarterly #8, featuring Lobo and Jack Chance.

In the meantime, here's a back-up from Amazing Fantasy #16, featuring Paladin.

ktC4s.jpg
    P08dA.jpg

1xSfO.jpg

6gIHR.jpg

PBC0A.jpg

FTqcX.jpg

FH5Sc.jpg

AIMaK.jpg

There's so much I love about this. The kinetic shoot-out, the way Paladin sits all bunched up in the car on the second page, and the super-detailed backgrounds and mechanical stuff.

Di Giandomenico's art is always beautifully expressive, Paladin's bright purple costume actually looks pretty awesome with Lovern Kindzierski's colors, and Chris Kipiniak's script does a lot to sell you on the character's status as a cocky mercenary bastard, in just eight pages.

• Options
    ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    Paladin's awesome. Remember when his costume had a green shirt and cape? The all-purple might be a little bright, but at least it's not hideous.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Paladin is really cool

That comic where he teams up with Cap to fight a boatload of female supervillains is hilarious

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    The Sex Cannon?

• Options
    ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    I remember when he was dating the Wasp. I thought if she could have her pick of Avengers, and went with this guy, he must be a total badass.

• Options
    Arryn wrote: »
    I remember when he was dating the Wasp. I thought if she could have her pick of Avengers, and went with this guy, he must be a total badass.

She married Ant-Man. AFTER he went crazy and turned into Yellowjacket.

I don't think she had that high of standards.

• Options
    Arryn wrote: »

She married Ant-Man. AFTER he went crazy and turned into Yellowjacket.

I don't think she had that high of standards.

They just retconned that in October's Origins tale. That said, it was really pretty romantic!

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    More funny Daredevil stuff.

JNxNy.jpg

Deadpool weaponizes his voice:

mN7Ky.jpg

Another, sadder, Deadpool panel. During his "Christ, I just realized my life sucks, doesn't it?" phase.

vZeXA.jpg

Pretty sure he kills the guy afterwards, so the kid doesn't have too.

Dr. Doom is an ass.

70irw.jpg

And a rare DC comics panel. Darkseid would like to serve you a hateburger.

98RrQ.jpg

I have no idea where that's from. Maybe Mcdonalds decided to expand their brand through advertisement back in the day? Ronald isn't nearly as hardcore as Darkseid. Having Darkseid try to sell you a burger made from the flesh of children and undiluted raw hatred has to appeal to someone, I guess.

Archonex on
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Please

Please

Don't ever post Gutters again.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Google says that Darkseid image is from Ambush Bug, which makes sense.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Ugh, Gutters.

Why would a blind guy with super-sharp senses not taste almonds?

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Ugh, Gutters.

Why would a blind guy with super-sharp senses not taste almonds?
    Or smell

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Google says that Darkseid image is from Ambush Bug, which makes sense.

No kidding. He's essentially DC's Deadpool.

Also, get over the Gutters thing. That's twice now someone flipped out about it. It's a good joke. Even CTRL+ALT+DEL manages to excrete a decent comic once every year. Shadowlands Daredevil came off as an asshole much of the time, and it was playing on that.

Thomas Waynes life sucks in Flashpoint, Martha's sucks too.

97198737.png

The entire run with Batman's involvement in it is worth getting, even if you aren't into DC and have a bare minimum amount of knowledge of Batman. He's probably the only character in the entire "event" that is undeniably interesting and compelling to read.

Archonex on
  • Options
    that's an awful lot of pages you're posting there.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    that's an awful lot of pages you're posting there.

If that's too much, i'm sorry. They're mostly from various different sources, though. The only really connected thing is the last two or three images. It's rather hard to convey that particular thing on why it's "awesome" in just one page. It's not awesome just because of one panel, but because of the build-up of awesome to one awesomely tragic panel.

The entire Flashpoint Batman run is fantastic and deserves to be read either way, which is why I didn't just post scans from start to finish.

Archonex on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    @Archonex

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/3149/not-a-hoax-not-an-imaginary-rules-thread-new-rule-8-10-10#Item_9
    note for those posting in the Awesome Moments thread:

1. Just panels, at most 1 page if it is really necessary to convey why the panel is so awesome. But no more than that.

2. Don't be asshats, I don't want this to turn into scans_daily. This is just so we can come together and share our favorite panels with each other.

3. If you don't have a scanner, or can't find the panel through a google image search or whatever, feel free to describe it and maybe post the issue and number. Maybe someone here will be nice enough to scan it themselves and post it.

4. Try not to double-post if possible. If this gets to be like 50 pages I'll understand. But try reading through the thread a little bit first so we don't get a million variations of 'Goddamn Batman'.

If you can't follow rule #1, expect to receive an infraction. If you post excessive amounts of scans over a series of posts without other people contributing, expect to receive an infraction.

Also, a friendly reminder: bitching goes in the bitching thread. You can discuss things, even things you liked, in a reasonable manner everywhere else. It shouldn't be terribly difficult. This goes for things like, "well THIS GUY sucks on THIS COMIC, but THIS COMIC RULES." That's obnoxious, and it needs to stop.

There are hundreds of shitty comics forums on the internet. If you can't deal with these rules, I'm sure they'll welcome you with open arms.

Just a note: the scan rule applies to this entire forum.

• Options
    I feel like you kind of posted the whole story there. Just the one page where Martha becomes the Joker would probably be enough to show people what the story's like.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Whatever. Edited the extra images out. There wasn't that much inter-connectivity in the panels, as I explained. But if it bothers people that much, they're gone, simple as that.

@Centipede Damascus: I really, really, didn't. Nor did I intend too, if I came off as wanting too. There's more to the story then that. But i'm obviously not going to post any more regarding it since it seems people don't want that. I'd rather not get into an argument over that, by doing that. I was mostly posting awesome pages from the Flashpoint run. Most of which could be taken individually.

It's kind of a side effect that nearly every awesome thing that happens in Flashpoint happens because of Batman. He's by far the most interesting character in the series. The condensed nature of the event also makes it hard to post awesome pages and not tell you something about him.

Archonex on
  • Options
    well

it's just that, it's right in the rules for the thread

i'm glad that you're excited and want to share it with people but it's the rules

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Antimatter wrote: »
    well

it's just that, it's right in the rules for the thread

i'm glad that you're excited and want to share it with people but it's the rules

The rule you're quoting makes it seem like you can't post entire stories like what was done earlier in the thread.

It doesn't sound at all like they're saying you can only make one panel per post.
    1. Just panels, at most 1 page if it is really necessary to convey why the panel is so awesome. But no more than that.

While I disagree that they were linked in the format you're saying the rules seem to state, if it's that much of a problem I just won't post panels anymore. I really think it's kind of ridiculous to get upset over someone posting a bunch of pictures on the internet. Not worth the time to argue about it either, so i'll just bow out of the thread for now.

Archonex on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Gutter is so bad

so bad

Ryan Sohmer needs to

well

I don't want to wish harm on another human being

but seriously

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    is that our batman telling his alternate universe mother who happens to be the joker that he's batman? Because damn.

I guess I should read flashpoint.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Solar wrote: »
    Gutter is so bad

so bad

Ryan Sohmer needs to

well

but seriously

Fa3f1.png
    patrick carnes laid out the following four steps to sexual addiction (source wikipedia):

“I am basically a bad, unworthy person.”
    “No one would love me as I am.”
    “My needs are never going to be met if I have to depend on others.”
    “Sex is my most important need.”

the behavior is commonly brought on by unresolved feelings of shame, anger or unresolved conflict. this ritualized, life-interrupting need for sexual conquest is an attempt to resolve these feelings in an unhealthy way.

anyway, thanks for letting me bring this insidious, tough-to-confront problem to your attention

it’s the least i could do

Munch on
  • Options
    Munch wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    Gutter is so bad

so bad

Ryan Sohmer needs to

well

but seriously

Fa3f1.png
    patrick carnes laid out the following four steps to sexual addiction (source wikipedia):

“I am basically a bad, unworthy person.”
    “No one would love me as I am.”
    “My needs are never going to be met if I have to depend on others.”
    “Sex is my most important need.”

the behavior is commonly brought on by unresolved feelings of shame, anger or unresolved conflict. this ritualized, life-interrupting need for sexual conquest is an attempt to resolve these feelings in an unhealthy way.

anyway, thanks for letting me bring this insidious, tough-to-confront problem to your attention

it’s the least i could do

here's the weird fucking thing: kris straub's stuff is hosted by the licd guys

I don't even know at this point.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    does LICD fund wordpress or comicpress? because the two sites that Straub uses, chainsawsuit and chainsawsuit LABS, use those

• Options
    I think he used to get hosting from Blind Ferret, Sohmer's company. I know that the PvP animated thing was done by them.

• Options
    pretty sure now that Straub and Kurtz hang out with PA they don't use Sohmer anymore

I think

• Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Archonex wrote: »
    Also, get over the Gutters thing. That's twice now someone flipped out about it. It's a good joke.

That is not a good joke. It doesn't even make sense.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    That's a joke?

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    From Corey Lewis' Layered Jacket #1; Layered Jacket has a jacket, capable of producing anything he imagines. Trouble is, he's not very imaginative.

PP9ac.jpg

AJRn9.jpg

Nzvql.jpg

You can read Layered Jacket #1 for free NSFW here NSFW. Additionally, Lewis is running a Kickstarter to reprint the first two, and print the newest one, here.

He's already met his goal, but if you'd like to add some homespun mini-comics in your collection, you may want to check it out.

Munch on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Where's that second Deadpool scan from?

That's really my ideal Deadpool- he's somewhat wacky, but there's this underlying sadness to him that he carries. I wish that more writers did that, instead of POP CULTURE JOKE #23.

• Options
  • Options
    Was Deadpool Team-Up just randomly numbered or something?

• Options
    It started at #900, and counted backwards.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    It started at #900 and counted backwards. It was because there were a bunch of books that were renumbering the #500 or 600 and so the joke was "Well, this is Deadpool #900!"

EDIT: Damn these slow fingers!

Crimsondude on
This discussion has been closed.