As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The 2000s: The best or worst decade in recent history?

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    the new decade doesn't start until 2011 even.

Are you tryin to say that 0 ain't a year?

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Wrong.

(Re: Fighting Flip)

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The 1980's were fun.

We didn't get a nuclear war, gang violence, or the invention of disco-- and it got rid of Jimmy Carter.

Fuck the haters.

The 1970's were a far worse, more existentially terrible decade than the 1980's or even this current decade.

Fuck yeah man 80s were awesome.

It's not because of the clothes or anything like that, it was the most relaxed decade.

Unless you worked on Wall Street.

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I spent half of the 80s in West Germany and it was still totally relaxed.

Weaver on
  • Options
    nateknatek unh unh Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    the new decade doesn't start until 2011 even.

are you trying to tell me that the year 2000 was part of the 90s?

natek on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    oh crap

do they teach in schools that Germany used to be two countries or do they just skip from the holy roman empire to the current status?

Weaver on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Wrong.

oh, i thought they said that when all that y2k hullabaloo was going on, that the "0 year" was really part of the last decade/millenium.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

that is ten numbers

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Wrong.

oh, i thought they said that when all that y2k hullabaloo was going on, that the "0 year" was really part of the last decade/millenium.

that was actually part of an idiotic religious argument over what BC/AD meant

Weaver on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This Decade started out with at the top of the roller coaster cackling madly at the fun I was having at the state fair.

It is ending with me getting kicked out of said fair for pooping in the petting zoo and yelling at children.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Weaver wrote: »
    Wrong.

i don't think it was part of any religious thing, i just recall some talking heads on various news channels being pedantic like and saying the new millenium wasn't really until 2001, because the year 2000 still counted as a part of the last millenium.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    2000s have the iPod and Kindle

The future is now.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Tonkka wrote: »
    This Decade started out with at the top of the roller coaster cackling madly at the fun I was having at the state fair.

It is ending with me getting kicked out of said fair for pooping in the petting zoo and yelling at children.

Is this a literal or a figurative fair?

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Also the crappiest moment of the 2000's for me was when my 1 terabyte hard drive fell off my computer (I had the external case open to make sure it was still connected) and I think the damn thing broke

so now I think I lost all my damn Mp3s

like 100 gigs of shit

daaaang

Moriveth on
  • Options
    nateknatek unh unh Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Wrong.

i don't think it was part of any religious thing, i just recall some talking heads on various news channels being pedantic like and saying the new millenium wasn't really until 2001, because the year 2000 still counted as a part of the last millenium.

yeah they must have read wikipedia's article on decades

natek on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    AMP'd wrote: »

Sorry, very figurative.

Would have been more fun if it was literal though. I could have been on the news!

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Better than the 90's, worse than the 80's.

80's was the last fantastical, fun decade we'll have for an age.

I

what

WHAT

No, seriously, are you out of your mind? The 80's was a fucking terrible decade. Everything from the fashion to the politics was atrocious.

The 90's, now that was a real man's decade.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    my lower left molars hurt so bad right now from chewing all of the meat at christmas dinner

like the roots are loose I can wiggle them around

they'll settle back in in a day or two but ouch ouch ouch

Weaver on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

amp'd don't take this the wrong way but i keep mistaking you for lucky cynic

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    oh crap

do they teach in schools that Germany used to be two countries or do they just skip from the holy roman empire to the current status?

iirc, my state (Indiana) cut European History from elementary/middle schools altogether unless it somehow DIRECTLY RELATES to 'mericuh.

I knew nothing of the Holy Roman Empire until AP European History my sophomore year of high school.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    oh crap

Hahahahaha, I don't think they teach anything about the Holy Roman Empire until college, at least

From what I remember it goes Ancient Rome, "some castles and shit," the American Revolution, Nazis, and then Current Events for a semester.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Godfather wrote: »

Everything had more pockets, for one

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Godfather wrote: »

Everything had more pockets, for one

so many that you had to wear pants backwards to even access some of them.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    That is so saddening.

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Cloudman wrote: »

Is it the avatar or the posting?

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The late 80's brought us the Super Mario Bros Super Show. Early 2000's gave us a shitty DVD release without the proper background music.

Perrsun on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Oh well

this means I can get more mp3s again and less crap this time round

Moriveth on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    That was still a better fashion statement than whatever the fuck the 80's came out with.

Everything about that era was one big joke, it's hilarious.

Godfather on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    my high school's Current Events curriculum was centered on our latest president, Gerald Ford.

I graduated in 2006

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    The 00s did give me kexp.org

shameless advertising what

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

the former

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    That is so saddening.

saddeningest

History as a required subject is a travesty, at least in the U.S.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    edited December 2009

the former

Hrm

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    pillowpillow Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Guys I want to be a history teacher
    I'm sorry usagi if you see this I'm swaying more towards the history than the mech engineering lately

pillow on
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    That is so saddening.

Indeed.

I mean, comparatively, students are only learning an infinitesimally small amount of real history. America is really only just over 230 years old and they really don't cover anything before the founding of the country itself.

I mean, fuck. The coolest shit happened in European and Asia anyway.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I once tried to do my end of year paper on the Gauls because they were never covered in history, and whoops the library didn't have anything on them either.

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

the former

Hrm
    so how does it feel being a furfag?

are you yiffing right now?

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    That is so saddening.

saddeningest

History as a required subject is a travesty, at least in the U.S.

I disagree. In the United States any semi-intelligent person learns that different people have different interpretations of history based on what they want to believe. In most countries people tend to learn that ____ is the most important country in the world.

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I once tried to do my end of year paper on the Gauls because they were never covered in history, and whoops the library didn't have anything on them either.

D=

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    pillow wrote: »
    Guys I want to be a history teacher
    I'm sorry usagi if you see this I'm swaying more towards the history than the mech engineering lately

pillow

May I offer some advice?

Double major in something else, too.

Admittedly, I never wanted to teach history, I just wanted to do research and write papers about it, but I regret not having continued on to double major in Geology as well.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg