Options

The Last Day of the [STEAM] Sale - Disappointing

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dammit if I buy Mass Effect I can play it through on PC and then buy the PC version of the sequel.

CURSE YOU STEAM

Plus the Bring Down The Sky DLC is free on the PC.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've got Mass Effect for the 360, but my rig is now beefy enough to run current-gen games with ease. Is it worth the 5$ to switch up to the PC version?

Entriech on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    For today being New Year's Day, which typically is a big sale day for retailers, the Steam sale is a bit underwhelming.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Dammit if I buy Mass Effect I can play it through on PC and then buy the PC version of the sequel.

CURSE YOU STEAM

It's not.

Hoz on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I was hoping for a better sale on the everything telltale pack.

I want Monkey Island and Wallace and Gromit.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I never played Mass Effect.

Should I play it now?

Yes.

There is no font size large enough to convey how much yes.

Mass Effect is my favorite Bioware RPG

And that's saying a lot

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That's a lot of Doom.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited January 2010
    "THIS PARTICULAR VARIATION ON THE GREATEST GAMES SALE IN HISTORY DOESN'T HAVE ANYTHING THAT I PARTICULARLY WANT" seems a bit petulant really

Tube on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hoz wrote: »

CURSE YOU STEAM

It's not.

Yes it is

Also Games for Windows Live is nowhere near Mass Effect and I am so fucking thankful for that

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Mass Effect is really really great.

I didn't like it for the first few hours, but once you have had enough chance to customise your Sheppard, and got to know the characters, it really draws you in.

LewieP on
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Entriech wrote: »
    I've got Mass Effect for the 360, but my rig is now beefy enough to run current-gen games with ease. Is it worth the 5$ to switch up to the PC version?

I'd say so. When you finish you can play around with console commands.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

CURSE YOU STEAM

It's not.

Yes it is.

The new crappy DLC might not be, but who cares?

Lawndart on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

CURSE YOU STEAM

It's not.

It is. At least it was about 6 months ago when I downloaded it for free.

There, it totally is.
    screenshot20100101at120.png

EDIT: beat.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »

CURSE YOU STEAM

It's not.

Yes it is

Also Games for Windows Live is nowhere near Mass Effect and I am so fucking thankful for that

Does it have good controller support?

Cause I wan to play this on the big screen.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    NAND NORNAND NOR Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Is there any third party DRM attached to Mass Effect? Or did they remove it?

NAND NOR on
    moebius.jpg
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Will Crysis remain at $13?

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I got as far as when you get your own ship and the freedom to explore the galaxy and then I never played again. I was paralyzed by the complete and utter freedom and not knowing where or what to do next so I just stopped.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    NAND NOR wrote: »
    Is there any third party DRM attached to Mass Effect? Or did they remove it?

Removed it.

AuburnTiger on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, I was thinking of Pinnacle Station, sorry.

Hoz on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

it's back up to 39

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »

CURSE YOU STEAM

It's not.

Yes it is

Does it have good controller support?

Cause I wan to play this on the big screen.

No controller support at all.

Yes, really.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I got as far as when you get your own ship and the freedom to explore the galaxy and then I never played again. I was paralyzed by the complete and utter freedom and not knowing where or what to do next so I just stopped.

It's the same with the other Bioware games with the 3 planets that you go to.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    ZoelefZoelef Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    "THIS PARTICULAR VARIATION ON THE GREATEST GAMES SALE IN HISTORY DOESN'T HAVE ANYTHING THAT I PARTICULARLY WANT" seems a bit petulant really

Well, I was going to say that I've spent $0 so far on the Steam sale...

Zoelef on
  • Options
    grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So two days left. What big games still have not had a one day deal yet? And I don't mean MW2. Games with a realistic chance like Fallout 3 GoTY.

grrarg on
  • Options
    SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Isn't redlynx trials the game that videogaiden (or whatever guy that is with a barely understandable accent but still has great reviews like God Hand) say was really good but difficult?

2.50 may not be a bad price.

Sanders on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Except that there's way more than 3 planets. There's like over 20. And the random one I picked had guys with guns that were 1-shotting me.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    There's a demo for Trials. Give it a shot first.

Alegis on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    grrarg wrote: »
    So two days left. What big games still have not had a one day deal yet? And I don't mean MW2. Games with a realistic chance like Fallout 3 GoTY.

Well, I know I'm not the only one hoping for a one day Witcher sale.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Shit, im stuck at working, am I screwed, or eventually ok?

It said it failed, but the games are in my list....

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Except that there's way more than 3 planets. There's like over 20.
    20 copies of those 3 planets.

Those optional missions disgusted me so much on my first playthrough I quit the game for a while.

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Except that there's way more than 3 planets. There's like over 20. And the random one I picked had guys with guns that were 1-shotting me.

But those planets don't really matter. There are 3 main storyline planets that are highlighted for you.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Except you can only land on 1-2 planets per system. Most of the planets are there for filler or for obsessives to click on to collect random sidequest doodads.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well, I've been begging for Mass Effect daily now, so yeah, I'll buy that. What's the verdict on Sam & Max? Are those episodes like really short? If they're not, then that's a shitload of adventuring right there.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Some Internet research leads me to believe that ME PC does not have achievements. $5 is a great price, but I will just replay my 360 copy and hope that the next 2 days bring me either The Witcher and/or Overlord pack at low, low prices.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010

it's back up to 39

Oh :(

Well, I have Assassin's Creed, Left 4 Dead, Mass Effect, Mirror's Edge, and STALKER all bought but not yet installed, so I guess I have something to play.

AuburnTiger on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Bah, bought Mass Effect. Even though I have it for xbox, I don't have the DLC yet, so I figure it makes up for it that way. Plus this way, I can play ME2 on the PC and have a saved game to import over. And the PC version's likely to be $10 cheaper than the xbox version as usual.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Roshin wrote: »
    Well, I've been begging for Mass Effect daily now, so yeah, I'll buy that. What's the verdict on Sam & Max? Are those episodes like really short? If they're not, then that's a shitload of adventuring right there.

Each episode is roughly 7-10 hours, I'd estimate. If you take your time and explore and get stuck a little. It's a shitload of content, pretty much everyone who has ever enjoyed an adventure game should look into them.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2010

If you don't have any of them then you should go for it. I have the first season and it was fun. If they also discounted season 2 instead of just the complete pack I'd get it, but I don't really feel like rebuying the first season, especially since I can't gift it.

In short, the verdict is buy, especially for that price.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

it's back up to 39

Oh :(

Well, I have Assassin's Creed, Left 4 Dead, Mass Effect, Mirror's Edge, and STALKER all bought but not yet installed, so I guess I have something to play.

Between steam and Christmas gifts, I have Ratchet and Clank Future, Infamous, God of War collection, Assassin's creed II, GTA 4, The Witcher, Torchlight, Borderlands DLC, Mass effect and Mirror's Edge D:

Dissociater on
  • Options
    SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

If you don't have any of them then you should go for it. I have the first season and it was fun. If they also discounted season 2 instead of just the complete pack I'd get it, but I don't really feel like rebuying the first season, especially since I can't gift it.

In short, the verdict is buy, especially for that price.
    Great price if you are into that type of game. While it lists Abe Lincoln must die at $19.99, it is actually free, so give it a download and try it.

Sanders on
This discussion has been closed.