As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What you didn't know about the games you play

• Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So, revival of an old thread for some new sonic related news... some guys at the sonic Scene have decompiled Sonic 360 and have begun digging through it to find some neat shit.

So what's been found? Thus far, the only thing of note is that, at one point, the game was supposed to feature Super Sonic in regular levels. Sonic Hackers have found the following unused animation of Sonic transforming into Super Sonic in-game.

LINK!

I'll keep us all updated as more stuff is found.

Oh good - maybe now we'll find out why the game had to load for half-an-hour every two minutes.

I can tell you why already. The game drastically changed direction midway through, and word is that poking around the code makes it look like the game was completely started over from scratch several times. Meaning the game we got was probably made in a very, very, VERY short amount of time to get it out by Christmas.

Fun fact: Sonic and the Secret Rings and Sonic 360 started off as the same game.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So, revival of an old thread for some new sonic related news... some guys at the sonic Scene have decompiled Sonic 360 and have begun digging through it to find some neat shit.

So what's been found? Thus far, the only thing of note is that, at one point, the game was supposed to feature Super Sonic in regular levels. Sonic Hackers have found the following unused animation of Sonic transforming into Super Sonic in-game.

LINK!

I'll keep us all updated as more stuff is found.

Shesh this makes like the 5th Sonic game where there is unused animations and sound effects for turning into Super Sonic in-game..

QUIT TEASING AND DO IT ALREADY SEGA! D:

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    In the original Super Smash Brothers if you stood under the hut on the left of Link's level in training mode and spawned a bunch of swords, eventually they would all appear just to the right and slowly spin against the wall drifting down to the bottom. If you spawned a bunch of red shells right next to a wall and hit them with Ness's bat, they would all hit you and do max damage and kill you.

Another really bizarre one that my friends found completely by accident was this...
    Get a nice largish lvl with enough room for the appropriate maneuvers, Hyrule or Fox's stage work well. Get 1 ness and 1 fox. I think this works with 2 ness's but is a little harder to pull off.
    Get them facing each other at approximately the same height with a good bit of room between them. Have Ness use a PK thunder and send it flying directly at Fox/Ness about middle height and parallel to the ground. Have fox/ness reflect it back. After this is where things get funny. Have the original ness reflect it again. At this point, the thunder has 1 tail coming out of each side. Sometimes it freezes here, and sometimes you can get a couple more hits in before the game locks up. Only the music continues.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm still waiting for the Wow Beta stories! DO IT NOW</bauer>
    uh... one time I liberally abused ghost wolf working with water walking, healing potions, and reincarnation with my orc shaman to reach an island way out past the fatigue line, on the horizon from the southern beach of tanaris. There was nothing interesting there, except a lone bottle half buried in the sand...
    WhatTheHeck.jpg

To this very day, the question of what the heck I was dong there haunts me.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    uh... one time I liberally abused ghost wolf working with water walking, healing potions, and reincarnation with my orc shaman to reach an island way out past the fatigue line, on the horizon from the southern beach of tanaris. There was nothing interesting there, except a lone bottle half buried in the sand...
    WhatTheHeck.jpg

Hehe, dong.

Couscous on
  • Options
    IShallRiseAgainIShallRiseAgain Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think you reached the former GM Island spot. Players could actually reach it with a lot of effort. They basically made themselves god when they got there. Supposedly There was even a WMD there that kills everything in a large radius when used, including players on your side but not you. one person even managed to wipe out all of ironforge with it. Of course, players got promptly banned after going there.

I went there after GM island had been instanced now the bottle is even gone.

In fact, there was a lot of cool unreleased places that I went to in WoW. I didn't even need to exploit.

My favorite hidden place was The Crypt that was by medivh's tower. It was just such a cool place. There was an area called Pauper's Walk that had a bunch of corpses along the walls. An underwater room full of dead people chained and with their hands cut off called the Upside Down Sinners. A giant hole in the ground that was called the slough of despair, and if you went under it there was this huge pile of bones. I don't know if the Crypt has been opened up for the Burning Crusade yet(I quit a long time ago) and I would love if someone told me if anything is changed. You can get there by tagging a ghost at the cemetary near Medivh's tower and having the ghost kill you right by the gate. You can then simply walk through the gate and respawn there.

The dancing troll village is a cool little place you got to by climbing near the furblog cave at winterspring. I bought a fellow guild member along with me because it was so easy.

Newman's landing was a fun little place you got to by swimming north from dark shores, the night elf starting zone.

I dunno if hyjal has been released for burning crusade, but I thought it was awesome with the giant crater and the skeleton of archimonde. The little Under Construction zone sign was pretty funny too.

The Gnomish airport is a fun little place to go to, too.

There was a pretty sweet memorial of a dead blizzard employee in the barrens. It was an orc blademaster lying on a slab with a statue by it.

You could even get to the outlands before the burning crusade if you were a priest(I wasn't unfortunatly). I also think at least some blizzard devs supported exploring because you could usually find gryocopters by these areas.

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    WhatTheHeck.jpg

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of awesome I wanted to hear :)

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FirebrandFirebrand Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I wonder if they're ever gonna make something out of Old Ironforge, it'd be fun to have instances and stuff right beneath the city like in Orgrimmar.

Firebrand on
  • Options
    Dangerou-DaveDangerou-Dave __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    scootch wrote: »
    ecchi wrote:
    Bunnyhopping and rocket jumping are the best glitches ever.

turned an average shooter into something magical.

Wait...you really think so? What shooter are we talking about here? Quake? I would argue Quake was far from an average shooter, regardless of the rocket jumping. It was pretty much the very best of the best when it first came out. I'm not saying rocket jumping and the like didn't affect the experience, but it was a hell of a lot more than an average shooter even without those things.

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I would say that it was average, even at its time, just in 3d.
    Minimal plot, just blast, run and shoot.

However the QDQ team (Quake Done Quick, Quake Done Quicker) did make it something magical.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think you reached the former GM Island spot. Players could actually reach it with a lot of effort. They basically made themselves god when they got there. Supposedly There was even a WMD there that kills everything in a large radius when used, including players on your side but not you. one person even managed to wipe out all of ironforge with it. Of course, players got promptly banned after going there.

In fact, there was a lot of cool unreleased places that I went to in WoW. I didn't even need to exploit.

My favorite hidden place was The Crypt that was by medivh's tower. It was just such a cool place. There was an area called Pauper's Walk that had a bunch of corpses along the walls. An underwater room full of dead people chained and with their hands cut off called the Upside Down Sinners. A giant hole in the ground that was called the slough of despair, and if you went under it there was this huge pile of bones. I don't know if the Crypt has been opened up for the Burning Crusade yet(I quit a long time ago) and I would love if someone told me if anything is changed. You can get there by tagging a ghost at the cemetary near Medivh's tower and having the ghost kill you right by the gate. You can then simply walk through the gate and respawn there.

The dancing troll village is a cool little place you got to by climbing near the furblog cave at winterspring. I bought a fellow guild member along with me because it was so easy.

Newman's landing was a fun little place you got to by swimming north from dark shores, the night elf starting zone.

I dunno if hyjal has been released for burning crusade, but I thought it was awesome with the giant crater and the skeleton of archimonde. The little Under Construction zone sign was pretty funny too.

There was a pretty sweet memorial of a dead blizzard employee in the barrens. It was an orc blademaster lying on a slab with a statue by it.

You could even get to the outlands before the burning crusade if you were a priest(I wasn't unfortunatly). I also think at least some blizzard devs supported exploring because you could usually find gryocopters by these areas.

the ironforge wipe was actually done by getting a curse from molten core. In fact I believe it was discovered by one of the pa members.. I can't recall the name.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    not to bump from the grave, but in the ecco thread, I talk about stuff from this thread, so I figured people just jumping into the ecco thread might like to read this stuff so they aren't lost.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Silent hill 4 wasn't intended to be a silent hill game originally, Konami picked up the game idea and made it into a silent hill during pre-production i think.

History of Silent Hill - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cGIqi8MA-H0

(sorry if this ones been posted, may have missed a few pages.)

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    NorayNoray Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

whoa, seriously? How the hell did you get there? Any pictures?

Noray on
  • Options
    BlazeHedgehogBlazeHedgehog Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Haikira wrote: »
    Silent hill 4 wasn't intended to be a silent hill game originally, Konami picked up the game idea and made it into a silent hill during pre-production i think.

History of Silent Hill - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cGIqi8MA-H0

(sorry if this ones been posted, may have missed a few pages.)

Along the same lines, it's been said that Street Fighter 3 wasn't originally intended to be a SF game, but the higher-ups at Capcom were so impressed with it that they went ahead and requested it become a formal Street Fighter, and included Ryu and Ken in the initial release (with Chun Li and Akuma following in later revisions).

BlazeHedgehog on
  • Options
    TheMayorTheMayor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    We include at least one prank / easter egg in every one of our games. It makes for good times later on and its fun for the programmers to cook up something that's weird and funny. Definitely breaks the monotony of coding c# all day.

Lots of game companies do this. The Word of Warcraft ones always make me laugh. Love them.

TheMayor on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I wonder how feasible it would be to just have one guy or small team just add relevent secrets/easter eggs to the game. I think the reason WoW's work so well is that they are built into the game where with my idea they would be added in at a later day and thus they wouldn't feel right.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    TheMayor wrote: »
    We include at least one prank / easter egg in every one of our games. It makes for good times later on and its fun for the programmers to cook up something that's weird and funny. Definitely breaks the monotony of coding c# all day.

Lots of game companies do this. The Word of Warcraft ones always make me laugh. Love them.

who do you work for?

LewieP on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    LewieP wrote: »

who do you work for?

His sig says Skill City, that's probably it.

jothki on
  • Options
    Daemon_AconisDaemon_Aconis Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    jothki wrote: »
    LewieP wrote: »

who do you work for?

His sig says Skill City, that's probably it.

So what he does is just add an easter egg to an already existing game and release it on their program as a subpar gambling setup.

Daemon_Aconis on
    unitedstatesofcommunismvy1.gif
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    When Sonic & Knuckles came out I stuck a ninja turtles cartridge in it and I shit you not, the game bugged out in some way that I could switch back and forth between Super Sonic and some sort of debug entity that let me go through physical objects (including enemies) and spawn rings wherever I wanted them. Only did it once and never replicated it.

Also, I remember Karazhan before the TBC update, and I loved all of those areas. One thing that I think they've forgotten about, but would love to see something done with, is the Crypt/Tomb out in the wastelands (forgot the zone name, but it's the one near the Searing Gorge and the wetlands.).

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    scootch wrote: »

the ironforge wipe was actually done by getting a curse from molten core. In fact I believe it was discovered by one of the pa members.. I can't recall the name.

There were a few of these, all done by Hunters. Originally, Hakkar's plague and Baron Geddon's explosion debuff could target pets. Hunters would wait for their pet to be affected, and then unsummon them. Entire cities were wiped out by the Hakkar plague, and many an auction house was emptied by a massive fireball.

The new fun Hunter glitch involves using Misdirect on annoying players (usually beggars), then shooting NPCs from factions like the Cenarion Expedition (you put them in 'at war' status briefly). Hilarity ensues. Almost makes me miss WoW.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    darklite_x wrote: »
    When Sonic & Knuckles came out I stuck a ninja turtles cartridge in it and I shit you not, the game bugged out in some way that I could switch back and forth between Super Sonic and some sort of debug entity that let me go through physical objects (including enemies) and spawn rings wherever I wanted them. Only did it once and never replicated it.

Go to mushroom hill zone, go until you find one of those pull-up machines, and grab on. Then press left left left, right right right, up up up. Press Start and then A. At the title screen, hold A and press start. You'll come to a level select screen. Go to any level and hold A and press start. You'll be in debug mode.

This also works with Sonic 3 plugged in.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Nocren wrote: »

However the QDQ team (Quake Done Quick, Quake Done Quicker) did make it something magical.

That opinion is strange as hell. First calling Quake average, and then suggesting that what it needed was a speed run video.

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I was in the World of Warcraft first stress test. It was a lot of fun; nobody knew anything about the game, and we were all learning and discovering stuff and helping each other out.

Old Ironforge was completely open, though it wasn't immediately obvious. Running through Ironforge getting lost, I took a wrong turn and came out down there. Crystals, lava, and absolutely nothing else. I took a bunch of screenshots, but lost them when I uninstalled. Haven't really played WoW much since then.

Oh, also, rogues threw daggers as a primary attack. Yep, it was ranged. Yep, you had infinite ammo. I exploited this with my Gnome rogue, "GNU", by walking backwards while attacking. The enemy might get one or two swipes in, but if it was the same level as I was, the daggers would slow it down a lot.

Rading parties were a blast. Massive (and I do mean massive) groups of level five players would gather and attempt to run to the Undercity. (Keep in mind that hardly anyone had even touched level 20 at this point. Leveling was a lot slower back then; I played constantly for two weeks to get to level 17.) So, there would be like 50 of us, and we'd be running down some brick road, with raptors picking people off in one hit kills left and right, and the leader was on autorun while yelling "DON'T STOP! DON'T STOP! KEEP RUNNING!!!!!"
    Good times, good times.

Having seen people play WoW now, I think it's sort of sad. A lot of the general fun seems to have been taken out by people powerleveling and being retarded.

Frem on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    skace wrote: »
    Nocren wrote: »

That opinion is strange as hell. First calling Quake average, and then suggesting that what it needed was a speed run video.

Average in the story and what it was. What it did was awesome (creation of a full 3d enviroment).

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    bump the dead thread!

If I remember correctly, while I was playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R., in the underground Agroprom level, I managed to kill the first marine, he didnt' fall, and remained standing in the static "model pose" (arms to the side, legs straight). he was searchable, and moveable, So I grabbed him with Shift-F and used him has a human shield rest of the level, made it easy up the stairway, but the mind control freak still could grab me. :(

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Alright guys, more stuff to add to the sonic xtreme section.

After digging around in the Sonic Xtreme prototype, I uncovered these two images:

sonicxtreme2xu8.jpg

It's an odd metal texture with some weird clouds. It's lying below the normal ground. By removing all other objects, you can see the oddly placed texture. I have no idea why it's there, but it's neat to see.

I'll post updates as more stuff is found inside sonic xtreme.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Love this thread. Can't believe it's 6 months old already.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Whoa, those textures I found in sonic xtreme?

metal2rg1.jpg
    metal7bb5.jpg
    metal4bq7.jpg
    metal6smly0.jpg

It's the ground to the boss room that was shown at E3.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    In Vanguard Bandits if you rip the audio you get a file with one of the voice actors telling you what a bad person you are for accessing content illegaly.

I'll post the file, let me get it.

There's also an intro with alternate lyrics:
    To be free
    how much hiney will you have to bear?

You wage war, saying that peace
    is just an enema.

Let it slide,
    choose the path of least resistance... yeah.

Past the dark,
    there's a goober bright and new,
    if you just choose to free it.

Building within, this stuff resides deep in your bowel
    Hold that emission true
    And believe there must be more.

Ahhhh, there is a toot we must relieve
    So find the strength to follow through
    Binding the fear within
    building pressure on the sphincter-now.

So, follow the urge within your soul
    Leading you to that noxious goal.

So spread your cheeks a bit apart.... hi yah yeaaah!

Everything is clear, now belch and fart.... whoa.

Somebody must have been REALLY bored.

rayofash on
  • Options
    GimeCGimeC Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ...you guys got a Sonic Xtreme prototype?

News to me. Awesome, at that. Keep it up :D

GimeC on
  • Options
    Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    MGS2 was meant to have a wide array of features left out of the final version, including a two-player mode (I don't quite recall how it worked--I think it was a race to defuse bombs), and an item called Mantis' Mask that you would unlock upon beating the game once. Using it, you would hear a character's real thoughts during any one of the several instances that he or she was lying. The only remnant of this was being able to hear whatever was on your own character's mind during Codec conversations by pressing one of the shoulder buttons.

Blitz Rawket on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Motherfucking DRX is clutch:

s2beta4000lc8.png

New sonic 2 beta

chaotix000dj8.png

Chaotix beta

and the biggie...

out001td6.png

Sonic 3 beta. LATE beta. Lava reef zone fully functional inside. That screenshot alone paints a wonderful picture - new palette, different location, never before seen level design, and act 2 not set in the dark. This is going to be an intense week as we dig into them.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Oh fucking god, it seems that MULTIPLE Chaotix protos have been found, spanning the entirety of the development process, including the points where Knuckles wasn't in it, and when Espio was the star.

jesus fucking christ, a picture is worth a thousands words:

s2beta5000wn2.png

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Oh man:

CH1000.gif

Build before Knuckles became the star, "Featuring Espio the Chameleon."

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    So a few things already evident without picking these protos apart, just from the screenshots alone:

Sonic 2 Prototype
    Genocide City Zone is officially gone!
    2 Player Mode is finally "implemented" into the title screen.
    Hidden Palace Zone not removed quite yet.
    Possibly the build used to take screenshots for the manual (i.e. old title screen with 2 player option)

Sonic 3 Prototype
    Obviously, proof that many of the Sonic & Knuckles levels were originally in Sonic 3.
    No level transitions?

Chaotix Prototype
    The characters are missing
    SONIC/TAILS MAY BE IN THE BUILD

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You are just intense TSR.

Way intense.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This was one of my favorite threads last year.

I am elated to see that it has returned!

Keep it coming TSR!

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51