As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Deus Ex: contains unmarked spoilers

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dyscord wrote: »
    only JC's voice acting is truly bad. There are some stereotypical accents that are bad in a funny/ridiculous way, but only JC is really terrible.

Possibly because, as he's ethnically questionable, they couldn't decide on a funny accent to give him

It's NOT the accents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kihGm4KfY7k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP6Nuf2lq0w

emnmnme on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    only JC's voice acting is truly bad. There are some stereotypical accents that are bad in a funny/ridiculous way, but only JC is really terrible.

Possibly because, as he's ethnically questionable, they couldn't decide on a funny accent to give him

suuure

Zek on
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    apotheos wrote: »
    How about that voice acting in Hong Kong.

Deus Ex is great, except when its terrible.

JC Denton, in da fresh.

If you want a good time, I recommend da Rucky Money!

That said, the soundtrack alone redeems the game's audio. It's not really epic stuff, but it's not trying to be; it's just keeping pace with a solid sci-fi action/adventure/conspiracy cornucopia, and it does a damn fine job of it. I could listen to the chateau music on a loop for hours.

Everybody should give the remixed version of the Synapse a listen, if for no other reason than Alexander Brandon himself was involved in the mix.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So, I'm playing this for the first time tonight. It's been too long with no excuses.

I'm probably going to have to stay out of here for fear of spoilers... I haven't read this thread so far.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Stolls wrote: »
    Everybody should give the remixed version of the Synapse a listen, if for no other reason than Alexander Brandon himself was involved in the mix.
    Oh my.

Monger on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    "John Romero introduced me to OCR about five years ago. Since then I’ve been continually amazed by this whole “remix” thing, and to collaborate on this piece was a hell of a lot of fun. I’m so proud of it (with the little that I did, BGC deserves a huge lion’s share of the credit) that I’m going to tell BT about it and see what he says. It’s the first electronic piece that really feels like it’d be right at home as a major release. So Jimmy and David, thanks for bringing so much awesome music into the game industry and giving me the chance to be involved."

Oh my, indeed.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I thought the voice acting was fine in Deus Ex, well Hong Kong aside anyway. I never had a problem with the way JC sounded. I remember seeing an interview with Warren Spector in which he said he specifically wanted the voice of JC to be emotionless. I guess his reasoning was that players would be better able to infer (maybe that's not the word I want) their emotions on the character. Whether or not that actually worked I guess is up to each player to decide. I thought it fine myself.

I suppose my biggest complaint with the sequel was that the areas were so fucking small compared to DX1. I do have many other complaints against it, but as long as I imagined that the game I was playing wasn't a sequel to Deus Ex, I found it to be enjoyable enough.

Here's hoping the third one is more of a return to Deus Ex roots.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Axen wrote: »
    I thought the voice acting was fine in Deus Ex, well Hong Kong aside anyway. I never had a problem with the way JC sounded. I remember seeing an interview with Warren Spector in which he said he specifically wanted the voice of JC to be emotionless. I guess his reasoning was that players would be better able to infer (maybe that's not the word I want) their emotions on the character. Whether or not that actually worked I guess is up to each player to decide. I thought it fine myself.

JC is Gordon Freeman with a voice.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wimT162UDP0

This game really does have its charms.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think the funny thing is JC isn't actually written as a flat, emotionless character; sardonic, maybe, but the guy does have a personality and opinions of his own. Spoilered for safety:
    He walks into UNATCO spouting the party line, has a bit of hero worship going on with Carter, is friends with Reyes, and grows to trust Jacobson. He gets into rather pointed debates with various people, notably Harley Filben and the bartender at the Lucky Money, and it's clear he doesn't trust Morgan Everett when you run into him.

Granted, you have some leeway with how you deal with these people, and they'll respond in kind, but I don't think he was actually written as an empty vessel. Alex from Invisible War more closely fits that, as s/he does have varying responses for most situations. Then, of course, you hear JC speak and you get the exact opposite impression.

The acting did vary a lot from one character to the next, but I thought a handful were done well. The bad guys loved to chew them some scenery, even if the same guy was voicing a homeless dude a few minutes ago.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Vegan wrote: »
    So, I'm playing this for the first time tonight. It's been too long with no excuses.

I'm probably going to have to stay out of here for fear of spoilers... I haven't read this thread so far.

I would probably kill a man to re-experience Deus Ex for the first time.

Enjoy, you lucky bastard.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    http://pc.ign.com/articles/095/095571p1.html
    GNPC: For the record, state your name.

Jay Franke: My name is Jason Anthony Franke, otherwise known as Jay Anthony Franke, otherwise known as J. Franke, or JC Denton or Paul Denton or various other characters in Deus Ex.

IGNPC: How did you get hooked up with the project?

Jay Franke: I moved to Dallas and ended up getting hooked up with the project because I had worked so long with Activision. I also worked on a TV show called California Dreams where I played a character named Jake Summers. Therefore, they came to me and said, "Hey, you think you can do this voice?" And I said, "Hey, maybe I can, then I do! And if I can't, then I don't." And they were like, good enough, let's do it.

IGNPC: How's marriage?

Jay Franke: Marriage blows.

IGNPC: How did you take the critical acclaim of Deus Ex?

Jay Franke: It was great. Every review I had ever read said, first of all, the game rocks. Second of all, the story rocks. Third of all, the voice acting had never been better in any other game.

This dude knows what is going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4QosaIwHxc

Zek on
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This is a game that could stand a remake.

And the prediction of a huge terrorist attack on NYC (and other story elements come to fruition) was super creepy.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I wrote this in the last Deus Ex thread but I always picked Latino JC Denton when starting a new game. I don't know anyone who picked the weird looking albino guy.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    KanamitKanamit Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I picked the weird albino guy.

Kanamit on
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think I've picked all of them over time, definitely the albino guy at some point.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    if no one has mentioned this, a few years back a fella known as Alginon (don't have a link to this sorry), did a run through of Deus Ex using no inventory items or weapons at all. He made it all the way through and completed all three endings, too.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    fuck. I was resisting the urge to replay deus ex from the game of the decade thread, but now you went and made me reinstall it from this thread.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I wrote this in the last Deus Ex thread but I always picked Latino JC Denton when starting a new game. I don't know anyone who picked the weird looking albino guy.

I was *always* that guy.

Space Pickle on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    As others have said in this thread, what I feel Deus Ex really brought to the table - aside from the stuff that gets talked about, like the replayability - was atmosphere.

Over and over again I feel the level design is what really sells Deus Ex. For the most part, it doesn't feel "gamey," aside from understandable constraints like memory and so forth. Offices have stockrooms and water coolers; apartments have beds and bathrooms and closets and kitchens and TV sets. Breaking into the Versalife building could have felt utterly pedestrian if it felt like a videogame level, but because it looks like a real office (aside from creepy albinos walking around the cubicles) it gives your activities an illicit electric thrill.

And the cities - parts of Hell's Kitchen and Hong Kong and Paris are genuinely creepy. When you leave the warmth and noise of the Wan Chai markets for the silence of the canals, you can almost feel the hairs on the back of your neck stand up - it feels like a bunch of illicit business, a lot of genuinely scary stuff, is going on right under your nose. And it is, and you can find it if you look hard enough. The levels are designed like onions, with places having obvious functions that conceal weirder, less obvious ones. It helps the feeling of paranoia to be able to explore and see that practically everyone is harboring some sort of secret.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The scene in the Illuminati base, for example, with Morpheus, the AI prototype. The game doesn't even hint at you to enter that room, and there is ZERO discernable benefit to doing so.

Yet so much effort went into making it authentic.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    Exactly. I think part of the reason Deus Ex creates these emotions so well is because it turns you into what amounts to a peeping Tom. You break into people's apartments and frantically click on paintings and TV sets and probably look like some insane rambling hobo while you're doing so - and then the wall slides away and reveals hidden cameras and weapons and god knows what else.

The graveyard is another good one. As I recall, you can go the entire game without realizing that groundskeeper dude is crooked, but mess around in his closet long enough and your troubles are explained.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I thought the encounter with the frozen illuminati leader was one of the most poignant moments ever, and something you can totally miss.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Phoenix1985Phoenix1985 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I thought the encounter with the frozen illuminati leader was one of the most poignant moments ever, and something you can totally miss.

Such a great indication that yet again, you weren't working for the good guys. Just the guys fighting the guys you already figured out were bad.

Phoenix1985 on
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I really want to play this but I'll only be able to get the PS2 version.

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    not worth it from everything i hear.

why can't you get the pc version?

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My laptop won't be able to play it.

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    that seems unlikely, how old is your laptop?

DX wasn't graphically intensive even back in 2000.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Exactly. I think part of the reason Deus Ex creates these emotions so well is because it turns you into what amounts to a peeping Tom. You break into people's apartments and frantically click on paintings and TV sets and probably look like some insane rambling hobo while you're doing so - and then the wall slides away and reveals hidden cameras and weapons and god knows what else.

The graveyard is another good one. As I recall, you can go the entire game without realizing that groundskeeper dude is crooked, but mess around in his closet long enough and your troubles are explained.

that's part of why i actually like the voice acting, even though it isn't objectively good- it feeds into that feeling that nothing is quite right. everyone talks like they've got something to hide. in most cases, they do. even the characters on your side don't necessarily have your best interests at heart.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    jacobkosh pretty perfectly summarizes a lot of the reasons I love this game. It has some amazing environments - my two favorites would have to be
    Paris under martial law. The first time I hit this level I was in awe at it. Ducking around guard stations and patrolling robots, going into buildings and talking with the denizens. The guy talking about his son working the guard station had a very eery WW2 feel too it.

And then, the level right after that - The DuClair Family manor. Probably my favorite level in the whole game. The music and the whole feel of that level was just amazing - wandering around with Nicollette telling you about her childhood, and Icarus talking in your head in it's creepy way. And the letters from Beth to Nicollette. Powerful.

Oooh - also in Paris!
    ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!!!
    >ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!!!
    >>ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!!!
    >>>ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!!!
    >>>>ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!!!
    >>>>>ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!!!
    >>>>>>ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!!!
    >>>>>>>ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!!!
    >>>>>>>>ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!!!
    >>>>>>>>>ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!!!
    >>>>>>>>>RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!
    >>>>>>>>RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!
    >>>>>>>RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!
    >>>>>>RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!
    >>>>>RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!
    >>>>RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!
    >>>RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!
    >>RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!
    >RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!
    RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited January 2010
    My laptop won't be able to play it.

unless your laptop is the one they used to put man on the moon it will run deus ex

Tube on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    jacobkosh pretty perfectly summarizes a lot of the reasons I love this game. It has some amazing environments - my two favorites would have to be
    Paris under martial law. The first time I hit this level I was in awe at it. Ducking around guard stations and patrolling robots, going into buildings and talking with the denizens. The guy talking about his son working the guard station had a very eery WW2 feel too it.

And then, the level right after that - The DuClair Family manor. Probably my favorite level in the whole game. The music and the whole feel of that level was just amazing - wandering around with Nicollette telling you about her childhood, and Icarus talking in your head in it's creepy way. And the letters from Beth to Nicollette. Powerful.

Oooh - also in Paris!
    The mansion seriously creeped me out. I was totally expecting something to leap out at me from some hidden passageway or to walk into the next room and find a battalion of guards waiting for me. Or to come up on a mirror and suddenly a flash of lighting and BOOM something's behind me and then it's gone. The big, open spaces in there made me feel really vulnerable. The Icarus messages didn't help any, either.
    My laptop is going on 5 years now. It has a 1.8ghz Celeron M, 512mb RAM, and an Nvidia GeForce GO 6800 with 256mb RAM. I can run the game just fine at max settings and resolution (1440x900). It reportedly runs just fine at max settings on netbooks as well, which I totally believe considering the hardware in my laptop isn't much better.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This should go into the OP.

It's a guide and tools for getting deus Ex to run on modern systems if you have trouble. Stuff like widescreen, countering game speed because of dual core etc.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Holy shit I am crying from laughter at this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxi7JRJrod4

Urian on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man I loved that Versalife lobby. The statue was amazing and the way everything reflected was fantastic back then.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Paul. What's going on.

Welcome to the coalition, J.C. Guess I might as well start using coke.

Yeah.

Urian on
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Bullio wrote: »

Oooh - also in Paris!
    The mansion seriously creeped me out. I was totally expecting something to leap out at me from some hidden passageway or to walk into the next room and find a battalion of guards waiting for me. Or to come up on a mirror and suddenly a flash of lighting and BOOM something's behind me and then it's gone. The big, open spaces in there made me feel really vulnerable. The Icarus messages didn't help any, either.
    That was my favorite part in the game too! By then, Gunther was already hunting you, so I was totally expecting him to come busting through a window any second. Scary stuff.

Dangerbird on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Dangerbird wrote: »

Oooh - also in Paris!
    That was my favorite part in the game too! By then, Gunther was already hunting you, so I was totally expecting him to come busting through a window any second. Scary stuff.

You convinced me to reinstall it. I'm a visual whore though so i'm sure my memories of how beautifully atmospheric it was are different from how i'll see it now.

Urian on
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Urian wrote: »
    Dangerbird wrote: »

Oooh - also in Paris!

You convinced me to reinstall it. I'm a visual whore though so i'm sure my memories of how beautifully atmospheric it was are different from how i'll see it now.

Nothing beats the very first time you experience it.

That was one of many awesome parts in Deus Ex though.

Infiltrating VersaLife was also pretty awesome. I had set off all the alarms, but I had what I came for. To make it back to the lobby, I activated my long jump aug, then took a crazy dive off the highest floor balcony down to the lobby, landing on a sofa breaking it into pieces. With guards shooting at me, I get in the elevator and frantically mashed the button to close the door. It felt very cinematic the way everything played out.

Dangerbird on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    that's always how I get out of the versalife building, too.

breaking into chow's apartment by jumping through her bay window from the building across the street was pretty awesome. So much better than bribing the bum or whatever for the elevator code.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
This discussion has been closed.