Options

the death of the gaming culture

cowboyhugbeescowboyhugbees Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
i realize how IGN has whored itself out to hit-generating op-ed articles, but check this article out:

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/106/1060720p1.html

don't actually read the article, though - read the comments.

i know PA has tackled this issue before with the "Think B4 You Speak" campaign, but honestly. when did the gaming culture become overwhelmed by such disrespectful (EDIT: sorry) jackasses bent on pissing people off just for the sake of pissing them off? i thought the article raises a good point, but apparently you can't raise these issues without being assaulted by the so-called "gaming community".

i'm so tired of people equating "gamers" with homophobia and hate, but lately i can't really disagree with them. personally, i was attracted to video games initially because i wasn't much of a social butterfly. i enjoyed playing games at home with some of my best friends rather than going out and partying with people i didn't know or like. it provided me a refuge from the world that really didn't speak to me. and more often than not, other gamers could sympathize with my situation.

but now, with the advent of XBL etc., that refuge is being infested with people who use the cover of obscurity and the audience that online gaming provides them to spread bonafide hate and insensitivity. my issue with this is that many members of that audience may be like i was at one point - insecure about myself, using games as a refuge and seeking a culture of like-minded individuals.

what happens to those insecure people when barraged with homophobic slurs and hate-speech, defended by some bullshit "competitive nature" excuse?

i'm afraid that the culture that once nurtured me is now excluding the people who need that ideal culture the most, and is in turn destroying itself entirely.

do you agree? did you ever find the gaming culture embracing? do you find it repelling now? are you concerned by the ever-increasing hate-filled atmosphere?

am i wrong?

cowboyhugbees on

• Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm a bit skeptical of the idea that there was ever a "gamer culture" to begin with.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    There is no gaming culture and there never was.

Jackasses on message boards is just jackasses on message boards. It's the same thing for video games, football teams, whatever else.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    I'm a bit skeptical of the idea that there was ever a "gamer culture" to begin with.

perhaps in the literal sense, yes, but i'm referring to something a bit more esoteric than that

cowboyhugbees on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    US GAMERS

That's an insult.

Why? Because Gamers are everyone.

The idea that there is a gamer culture is offensive to gamers. The idea that there are gamers as a separate class is offensive to everyone. The majority of the population plays games. We aren't a fad. We aren't a culture. Sure, the PA posters are strange people. But "people who play games" is just the majority.

Khavall on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've never heard anyone generalize gamers as being homophobic or hateful. I'm not sure how you're tired of it if it's not going on. Maybe I've learned to ignore it.

Henroid on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

perhaps in the literal sense, yes, but i'm referring to something a bit more esoteric than that

What do you mean by that? How are you defining "culture" if not in the sense that it is ordinarily understood?

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    I've never heard anyone generalize gamers as being homophobic or hateful. I'm not sure how you're tired of it if it's not going on. Maybe I've learned to ignore it.

I'm assuming he's referring to the fact that the 14-y/o "gamers" are all "GAY FAG BITCH MARTYRDOM SPAM BITCH LESBIAN GAY" exists as "THE GAMER CULTURE IS HOMOPHOBIC AND HATEFUL"

Khavall on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You guys act like the video games are the only hobby that get summed up by its participants as a subculture. We have subcultures associated with genres of music, with various hobbies, with trains, with just about anything. People who play games and engage in the vernacular and discussion are gamers. I don't mean to create an exclusive club out of it or anything, but I think it's naive to say there isn't a certain sphere of discussion, icons, and activities that qualifies as "gamer culture."

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

It's dangerous to go alone. Take this.

A winner is you!

Somebody set us up the bomb.

Hey! Listen! Hey! Listen! Hey! Listen!

Red warrior shot the food!

Your princess is in another castle.
    Aeris dies.

Snake! SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!

Up up down down left right left right B A start

Noob.

Real-time weapons change! Hit its weak point for massive damage!

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Upon further review, you're thinking of 'introverted nerd culture'. It's just that gaming used to be an activity solely in nerd culture - now it's not.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The slurs are mostly what happens when you allow more than one 14 year old in the same place. Teenagers are awful people.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Khavall wrote: »

I'm assuming he's referring to the fact that the 14-y/o "gamers" are all "GAY FAG BITCH MARTYRDOM SPAM BITCH LESBIAN GAY" exists as "THE GAMER CULTURE IS HOMOPHOBIC AND HATEFUL"

So he's saying they're homophobic and hateful?

Usually when people are talking about 14 year olds using profane language, they generalize them as being idiots. These kids would be using the same language on the football field or skate park though. They say that shit because, at that age, it makes you hardcore in life.

And then they grow up as we all did.

Henroid on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

There was/is. It's stupid. Just like any other baseless clique.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Khavall wrote: »
    US GAMERS

That's an insult.

Why? Because Gamers are everyone.

The idea that there is a gamer culture is offensive to gamers. The idea that there are gamers as a separate class is offensive to everyone. The majority of the population plays games. We aren't a fad. We aren't a culture. Sure, the PA posters are strange people. But "people who play games" is just the majority.

i think everyone's being a bit too literal when i say "gaming culture". first off, if you really think about it, is ANY culture a "real" thing?

secondly, i do believe that people who play games as a hobby regularly and enthusiastically may be more inclined to have different social expectations than others. those are the people i am referring to specifically

cowboyhugbees on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Upon further review, you're thinking of 'introverted nerd culture'. It's just that gaming used to be an activity solely in nerd culture - now it's not.

What this guy said.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You guys act like the video games are the only hobby that get summed up by its participants as a subculture. We have subcultures associated with genres of music, with various hobbies, with trains, with just about anything. People who play games and engage in the vernacular and discussion are gamers. I don't mean to create an exclusive club out of it or anything, but I think it's naive to say there isn't a certain sphere of discussion, icons, and activities that qualifies as "gamer culture."

There's no 'music' culture. There's country culture, rap culture, indie culture, jazz culture, etc., etc. And those are just as much marketing as anything else.

Likewise there's no 'movie' culture, because everyone goes to see movies.

With gaming you might get things like 'madden/halo fratboy' culture, jrpg weeaboo culture, mmo addiction culture, casual soccer mom culture - but there's so much overlap between these groups as to be pointless.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2010

There's no 'music' culture. There's country culture, rap culture, indie culture, jazz culture, etc., etc. And those are just as much marketing as anything else.

With gaming you might get things like 'madden/halo fratboy' culture, jrpg weeaboo culture, mmo addiction culture, casual soccer mom culture - but there's so much overlap between these groups as to be pointless.

Is there no movie culture? I have a friend who eats breathes and sleeps movies. He reads movie blogs, follows all the news, and participates regularly in industry discussion with other movie nerds.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

What this guy said.

i think that's fair. maybe the issue i am concerned about is the forcible marrying of the introverted crowd with the "not-thinking-before-you-shit-all-over-someone" super-competitive crowd ?

cowboyhugbees on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

Yep. And what we're seeing here is the collision of one such subculture with another subculture. It's like the rivalry between trance fans and jungle fans at a rave, or between Star Wars geeks and Star Trek geeks.

This was supposed to be my secret safe place where everybody felt like family! How dare you encroach on it with your alien ways!

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    "Gamers" used to be hobbyists, obsessives; people who dedicated their leisure time to the medium to a significant degree. Consoles were rare. Games were not very approachable. Gaming computers were expensive.

Nowadays "gamers" are anyone who can spend an hour or two a week playing games. Consoles are in as many American homes as cable boxes. Every PC sold in the last five years is capable of playing, at bare minimum, Flash browser games that cost nothing. Almost every American has one of these game-capable computers.

The label has grown to encompass a much greater spectrum of individuals, and this is going to include some people who disgree with each other. It used to be a homogenized sort of group, now it's much more varied. Yiou're not going to find the same kind of cohesive groupthink as you did ten years ago.

This is a very good thing for the medium as a whole. John Gabriel's Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory will never vanish, and taking the comments of a few trolls on a public comments section as indicative of the whole is fucking retarded.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Is there no movie culture? I have a friend who eats breathes and sleeps movies. He reads movie blogs, follows all the news, and participates regularly in industry discussion with other movie nerds.

I was going to say "Look at Ahbed in Community," but then I realized it's more of pop-culture fascination.

A general movie culture isn't really a culture though, it's more of a hobby that many take and in that sense they become historians more than anything.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

There really isn't a "movie" culture though. Does your friend go to see Transformers2 and talk about how it was a bitching display of Boobs/robot fighting? Knowledge of an art =/= "culture" of the art. There will always be afficianados/academics, but that's not really "culture"

Khavall on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Well, that would be "the movie nerd culture", possibly, but not "the movie culture".

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I was going to say "Look at Ahbed in Community," but then I realized it's more of pop-culture fascination.

A general movie culture isn't really a culture though, it's more of a hobby that many take and in that sense they become historians more than anything.

Then what is culture defined as to you? And I don't want examples, I want a definition.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Feral wrote: »

It's dangerous to go alone. Take this.

A winner is you!

Somebody set us up the bomb.

Hey! Listen! Hey! Listen! Hey! Listen!

Red warrior shot the food!

Your princess is in another castle.
    Aeris dies.

Snake! SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!

Up up down down left right left right B A start

Noob.

Real-time weapons change! Hit its weak point for massive damage!

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

>_

moniker on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

What this guy said.

i think that's fair. maybe the issue i am concerned about is the forcible marrying of the introverted crowd with the "not-thinking-before-you-shit-all-over-someone" super-competitive crowd ?

Well yeah. Like when someone shoots up their school and they find a video game in his room and the media shits about it. We all recognize the wrong portrayal. But our (USA) media and the Australian government are drawn to stereotyping people to make it easy on themselves.

Thankfully we have Child's Play, the gamer's charity, to make people consider otherwise! (donate today, click the link in my sig!)
    that felt good

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

There are isolated nerds about everything, but I wouldn't say that makes it a culture. I've got a friend who does the same thing for transformers, but I think saying that there's a 'transformers' culture would be silly.

Besides which, I'm guessing he doesn't do this for all movies, just a subset of action/mega blockbuster/maybe nerdy comic movies. Does he go to nearby film festivals? Follow news about the latest romantic comedies and documentaries?

To the op: The reason why I think this is important is that if you don't think there was a 'gamer culture' to begin with, then there's nothing really going on here, just teenagers being douchebags on the net, which isn't really indicative of anything.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    Aeris dies.
    God damn it! You really gotta label spoilers.

Just so everyone knows, major Final Fantasy 7 spoiler up there.
    Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father

Bama on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    "Gamers" used to be hobbyists, obsessives; people who dedicated their leisure time to the medium to a significant degree. Consoles were rare. Games were not very approachable. Gaming computers were expensive.

This is a very good thing for the medium as a whole. John Gabriel's Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory will never vanish, and taking the comments of a few trolls on a public comments section as indicative of the whole is fucking retarded.

first, dude, i don't know what games you're buying, but new SMB is still $60 bucks.

second, i think the problem is a bit more widespread than "a few trolls on a public comments section". no?

cowboyhugbees on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »

Then what is culture defined as to you? And I don't want examples, I want a definition.

As soon as I hit submit on that post I realized I didn't buy what I was saying. So I can't really answer that.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    moniker wrote: »
    You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

>_

> PLAY DDR WITH PYRAMID HEAD

Feral on

• Options
    edited January 2010

There are isolated nerds about everything, but I wouldn't say that makes it a culture. I've got a friend who does the same thing for transformers, but I think saying that there's a 'transformers' culture would be silly.

Besides which, I'm guessing he doesn't do this for all movies, just a subset of action/mega blockbuster/maybe nerdy comic movies. Does he go to nearby film festivals? Follow news about the latest romantic comedies and documentaries?

To the op: The reason why I think this is important is that if you don't think there was a 'gamer culture' to begin with, then there's nothing really going on here, just teenagers being douchebags on the net, which isn't really indicative of anything.

Okay, so there is no movie subculture or gaming subculture. In that case we may as well relegate punk subculture or rave subculture to punk nerds and rave nerds.

Or you could just open up the idea that just because it's a little broader, that doesn't mean there isn't a subculture associated with it.

C'mon guys, this is high school Sociology stuff.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

As soon as I hit submit on that post I realized I didn't buy what I was saying. So I can't really answer that.

Okay, I'll ask SageinaRage then. Sage, what is culture defined as to you?

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    No wait Sarksus, I think I can answer it.

I think when something has a culture tied to it, there's a sort of group mentality or get-togetherness about that thing. It's not a perfect definition but maybe someone can elaborate on it.

Henroid on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man, us gamers are so full of hate. Man we suck

Wait no

This shit is retarded

Stop with this gamer culture shit. Why the fuck do we do this elitist bullshit you don't hear about a music lover's culture or tv watcher's culture or movie watcher's culture

People fucking suck sometimes, end of story
    Bama wrote: »
    Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father

You mother fucker
    The Titanic sinks

Rent on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I think when something has a culture tied to it, there's a sort of group mentality or get-togetherness about that thing. It's not a perfect definition but maybe someone can elaborate on it.

No, I don't mean how you decide whether something has culture or not, I mean what is a culture.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah - it's not really about gaming culture (whether it exists or not). The average person that plays Modern Warfare over XBL is not part of the subgroup they're referring to.

This is what happens when you get a group of essentially anonymous adolescent males playing competitive action games desperately trying to impress each other. No it's not cool. Yes we've all experienced it.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    Man, us gamers are so full of hate. Man we suck

Wait no

This shit is retarded

Stop with this gamer culture shit. Why the fuck do we do this elitist bullshit you don't hear about a music lover's culture or tv watcher's culture or movie watcher's culture

People fucking suck sometimes, end of story

Actually we were talking about music culture and movie culture just a few posts before you. I didn't hear about it, though, since I'm reading this on a computer screen, so I suppose your point stands.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

No, I don't mean how you decide whether something has culture or not, I mean what is a culture.

D:

Um... how outsiders view people who partake in a hobby?

Edit - 'Outsiders' is a strong word but it doesn't reflect my sentiment.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

first, dude, i don't know what games you're buying, but new SMB is still $60 bucks.

second, i think the problem is a bit more widespread than "a few trolls on a public comments section". no?

Personally? Not really, no.

The average age of 'gamers' is mid-30's and the overall population is huge. After the Boomers die off/in a decade or so we're going to be the primary political power thanks to demographics and so all the stupid bullshit will tone down. Same as it did for novels, radio, movies, television, Rock n' Roll, &c. Douchebags will still be douchebags, though.

moniker on