Options

Tebow to interrupt the Super Bowl to rant about abortion

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    Except that they won't let her put it up for adoption. Did you miss the part where my father wants grandbabies? In addition, and this is the bigger part, is that there will be several months where she really shouldn't work as a waitress, needless to say going to both high school and taking introductory classes at the tech school.

You are saying that the entire pregnancy will not affect her work performance and her education? Because I think it definitely will.

Of course it will. That doesn't mean that I think that her work performance is worth killing a child.

The reason that arguments as to the convenience of the lives of the parents will not sway people who are against abortion is because they believe it is the killing of a human life. At what point is your job or education worth killing a child to protect? Never. So your argument will not sway.

At what point is sacrificing your entire life worth killing a child? Quite often.

Arch on
  • Options
    17th_Knight17th_Knight Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

At what point is sacrificing your entire life worth killing a child? Quite often.

You wouldn't "sacrifice your entire life", don't be melodramatic.

However, if you're actually asking me if I think that your job, or education, is worth killing a child? Never. That you would kill a child for the sake of your own job security or to earn a PHD is appalling, at best. I hope you're simply being inflammatory, because that is a pretty abhorrent mindset.

Do you really think you're going to change my mind by saying something like that?

17th_Knight on
    Are you afraid? What is it you fear? The end of your trivial existence? When the history of my glory is written, your species shall only be a footnote to my magnificence. I am SHODAN.
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    I find few redeeming qualities in children of this sort:

blastocyst.jpg

Shivahn on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well, they don't cry or shit all over the place.

Bama on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    Bama wrote: »
    Well, they don't cry or shit all over the place.

So in short, I should also be ok with killing toddlers?

Makes sense.

I have like an eight hour school day, starting soon, so I'm going to have to bow out for a bit. Which saddens me greatly. But it's not like my position doesn't have enough support that my points won't be made.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

You wouldn't "sacrifice your entire life", don't be melodramatic.

You aren't "killing a child", don't be melodramatic
    However, if you're actually asking me if I think that your job, or education, is worth killing a child? Never. That you would kill a child for the sake of your own job security or to earn a PHD is appalling, at best. I hope you're simply being inflammatory, because that is a pretty abhorrent mindset.

That you would ask me to change my entire life because of an accident I tried my hardest to prevent is pretty abhorrent. Because, to someone like myself, my job and education ARE my life. In addition, I am making ends meet with my current position, and could not afford a child as it would catipault me into massive debt, this stymieing future plans. not to mention the fact that my fiancee would have to actually gestate and birth this child, and thus take an academic hit when she just got off of academic probation. To us, our future careers ARE what we want our life to be, not a child.

Arch on
  • Options
    McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm still trying to read this whole thread, but I think abortion should be legal because every act of male masturbation/safe sex kills babies, right? Unless you don't count the sperm as a baby yet, in which case semantics suck.

McAllen on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    That you would ask me to change my entire life because of an accident I tried my hardest to prevent is pretty abhorrent. Because, to someone like myself, my job and education ARE my life. In addition, I am making ends meet with my current position, and could not afford a child as it would catipault me into massive debt, this stymieing future plans. not to mention the fact that my fiancee would have to actually gestate and birth this child, and thus take an academic hit when she just got off of academic probation. To us, our future careers ARE what we want our life to be, not a child.

None of that is worth killing a child.

Listen, kid, you're being melodramatic. None of that would occur, your life wouldn't end, you wouldn't be unmade and have no future and nowhere to go. Trust me, you'd do just fine.

But even if that were the case, I still would not condone killing a child to help you get a better job or to not be in debt. Nothing you say is going to change that.

Your bank account, job security, profession, or education are not worth one human life. Your arguments aren't going to convince me otherwise, so why do you bother?

17th_Knight on
    Are you afraid? What is it you fear? The end of your trivial existence? When the history of my glory is written, your species shall only be a footnote to my magnificence. I am SHODAN.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    McAllen wrote: »
    I'm still trying to read this whole thread, but I think abortion should be legal because every act of male masturbation/safe sex kills babies, right? Unless you don't count the sperm as a baby yet, in which case semantics suck.

Y'know, you can criticize it all you want, but I still love Legally Blonde for using this exact argument.

Arch on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Your bank account, job security, profession, or education are not worth one human life.
    But a woman's emotions are? I mean, you're ok with killing an innocent third party to mitigate the harm of a crime.

Bama on
  • Options
    ueanuean Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Except that they won't let her put it up for adoption. Did you miss the part where my father wants grandbabies? In addition, and this is the bigger part, is that there will be several months where she really shouldn't work as a waitress, needless to say going to both high school and taking introductory classes at the tech school.

You are saying that the entire pregnancy will not affect her work performance and her education? Because I think it definitely will.

Of course it will. That doesn't mean that I think that her work performance is worth killing a child.

The reason that arguments as to the convenience of the lives of the parents will not sway people who are against abortion is because they believe it is the killing of a human life. At what point is your job or education worth killing a child to protect? Never. So your argument will not sway.

Ooh, that struck a nerve with me. Did you not read where he said he believes it is the killing of a human life? You might as well be saying "at what point is sacrificing your entire life worth killing a one year old child? Quite often". You see an inherent difference between a fetus and a 1 year old. Pro lifers do not - they're both lives. I sure hope you didn't understand that....

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Your bank account, job security, profession, or education are not worth one human life.
    I'm surprised your such a staunch supporter of Universal Health Care.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    And AGAIN at the end of it all- If both my fiancee and I BOTH want to get our PhDs, who watches the kid?

one of us is giving it up. Its not gonna be me. I shouldn't make her give it up.

Fuck the children.

Zed put me in your sig.

Arch on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    uean wrote: »

Ooh, that struck a nerve with me. Did you not read where he said he believes it is the killing of a human life? You might as well be saying "at what point is sacrificing your entire life worth killing a one year old child? Quite often". You see an inherent difference between a fetus and a 1 year old. Pro lifers do not - they're both lives. I sure hope you didn't understand that....

Y'know, my argument still stands even with that statement. A one year old has about the same range of emotion and intellectual development as say, a full grown pig. And people kill those all the time.

Arch on
  • Options
    FuzzFuzz Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I met Tim Tebow at a blockbuster once.

Fuzz on
  • Options
    McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Y'know, my argument still stands even with that statement. A one year old has about the same range of emotion and intellectual development as say, a full grown pig. And people kill those all the time.

BUT ITS A CHILD DONT YOU SEE HUMANS ARE NOT ANIMALS BUT WE REALLY ARE ANIMALS BUT WE ARE BETTER THAN ANIMALS WHICH MEANS EVEN THE SLIGHTEST CHILD CASUALTY IS 100% WROOOOONGG LONG LIVE THE CHILD EMPEROR

McAllen on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Shivahn wrote: »
    I find few redeeming qualities in children of this sort:

Y'know what is funny? My initial first post in this thread was going to be this:

Arch wrote:
    Yo 17th_knight, I'm real happy that you hate killin' children and imma let you finish but....

this
    blastocyst.jpg

is not the same as this
    baby.jpg
    at any time.
    any time.

I decided to go the debate route instead, but seeing as it is (as he admits) impossible to argue with the position of "all abortion is murdering children", I will post it now.

Arch on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    What happens when biomedicine is advanced to the stage that a fetus is viable at almost any point from conception?

I'm actually interested in this question. If anyone has any thoughts on the matter, please share them.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    What happens when biomedicine is advanced to the stage that a fetus is viable at almost any point from conception?

I'm actually interested in this question. If anyone has any thoughts on the matter, please share them.
    I don't really see it having any legal bearing. Being viable doesn't give it inherent rights. Those pretty much start at the point you first exit a vagina, with the last couple not coming in until after age 20. If we can magically convert all viable fetuses into 18 year olds, then there might be a legal issue.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Sorry, I will bite!

It really depends on what you mean by "viable".

Do you mean able to survive to adulthood? Because I think we are close to that point now. I don't think it changes the game at all. When is the cells at a level where it can interact with its environment beyond being a passive consumer? For humans, this occurs well after the first trimester, which is when most abortions are performed. At that point, the "baby" is barely to the fetal stage, and can do nothing but grow and consume nutrients, much like any other somatic cell. In fact, it is even less useful than other somatic cells, because it cannot even perform its primary function (that is, ensuring the survival of its genetic material).

Arch on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    How about this: we rename abortion "premature disownment." If the kid can't find a job or breathe on its own, tough titties.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

It occurred to me (before I read your post) that if we could (in early stages) remove the fetus without harming it or the mother and either keep it in stasis or put it in a third party (or artificial) womb, it'd be a nice technological sidestep. No "children" are dying, and effective abortions are plentiful.

Sure, we might have a freezer full of suspended animation kids waiting for barren couples to grow them up, but at least they're not aborted, right? Much better than being aborted.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    uean wrote:
    Ooh, that struck a nerve with me. Did you not read where he said he believes it is the killing of a human life? You might as well be saying "at what point is sacrificing your entire life worth killing a one year old child? Quite often". You see an inherent difference between a fetus and a 1 year old. Pro lifers do not - they're both lives. I sure hope you didn't understand that

People have answered this and it refuses to stick in other people's heads. Sure those embryonic cells are alive. But so are sloughed-off skin cells, or a yeast culture or a slime mold. Those kinds of life are being extinguished all the time. Everyone here is against the extinguishing of a sapient, conscious entity. But life means jack shit.

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    FuzzFuzz Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    oh man, I mean.. we could talk about Tim Tebow's movie selection..

that's interesting too..

Fuzz on
  • Options
    ueanuean Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I dunno... abortion --> test-tube baby? "My daddy's a water dropper!"

Also, Arch, your reference to baby-bacon D:D:D:

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Nothing would change, because viability has nothing to do with my position? Difficult as it is to measure and nail down, I care about suffering and happiness. Something that hasn't achieved either is warranted about zero protections.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010

That's beyond abhorrent.

You'd be willing to kill a 1 year old child for your own convenience?

17th_Knight on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »

It occurred to me (before I read your post) that if we could (in early stages) remove the fetus without harming it or the mother and either keep it in stasis or put it in a third party (or artificial) womb, it'd be a nice technological sidestep. No "children" are dying, and effective abortions are plentiful.

Sure, we might have a freezer full of suspended animation kids waiting for barren couples to grow them up, but at least they're not aborted, right? Much better than being aborted.

How is it better than being aborted?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010

The thing about thinking in terms of "viable" fetuses is that it can quickly lead down a path where every tech at a fertility clinic is a mass murderer.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

They're still alive. Isn't that the whole point?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I decided to go the debate route instead, but seeing as it is (as he admits) impossible to argue with the position of "all abortion is murdering children", I will post it now.

Except that you don't see a difference between them either. You find it just as practical, moral, and acceptable to kill a baby as a fetus, you said so yourself.

17th_Knight on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I like the Asian philosophy on death much more, it's inevitable, it's a tragedy, and people who murder other people should be punished but preventing death should not be the core obsession of the culture. It's just a part of life.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

What's so great about being alive? Is it a tragedy when I eat a carrot?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010

That's beyond abhorrent.

Do you have anything but appeals to emotion? You have yet to display any logic. In fact, killing you might not even be murder.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

What's so great about being alive? Is it a tragedy when I eat a carrot?

I dunno, ask 17th.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

That's beyond abhorrent.

Given that they are the intellectual equivalent of adult pigs, why is that abhorrent?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Do people ITT even understand how current abortion laws work? You can't abort if the fetus is viable, it's delivered and stuck in an incubator. The only ways you can abort a fetus are a) if it isn't viable or b) if it will save the mother's life.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Except that you don't see a difference between them either. You find it just as practical, moral, and acceptable to kill a baby as a fetus, you said so yourself.

and the sarcasm goes whoooooooosh

Arch on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Well, if we hit a certain point of biomedical advancement, every single sperm could be deemed viable and capable of eventually becoming a full grown adult. Would we make it illegal to not store every single sperm for later conception?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Also, Arch, your reference to baby-bacon D:D:D:

I figured if the argument was already at "people who support abortion also support killing children" I might as well go whole-hog.

Arch on