Options

Sixth Sense Technology.

ArbitraryChemicalsArbitraryChemicals Registered User new member
Since everyone is flipping shit over the rumored Apple Tablet, I thought I'd bring up this genius because this technology is much more exciting than a big iPhone / small iMac.

ArbitraryChemicals on

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That is a long way off though.

But yeah it is ridiculously cool.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    NostregarNostregar Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That is simply amazing.

I don't even have words for how much I love that thing.

Nostregar on
  • Options
    VultureVulture __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    That's way too cumbersome.

Check this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvA9lA7_5FE

Vulture on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Of course it is cumbersome. It isn't going to be out for years. Prototype and all that.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I doubt it's ever going to come out at all.

Vulture on
  • Options
    NostregarNostregar Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Vulture wrote: »

Based on...?

Nostregar on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Nostregar wrote: »

Based on...?

His sixth sense.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Check this:

Man I watch that and see dozens of separate Ph D projects to make it viable. It is however pretty awesome.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Check this:

Man I watch that and see dozens of separate Ph D projects to make it viable. It is however pretty awesome.

Certainly more awesome than carrying a fucking tiny projector on your body like a fucking silly goose.

Vulture on
  • Options
    XantusXantus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Check this:

Certainly more awesome than carrying a fucking tiny projector on your body like a fucking silly goose.

remember how silly and huge cellphones were when they first started?

it'll be mainstream but it has to start somewhere...

Xantus on
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My favorite part about mockups for all of these technologies is how insanely slow and deliberate the movements of the actors pretending to interact with them are.

Fuck, if I want a technology that'll make it take a very slow, measured hand gesture to do what moving my mousewheel up four clicks could easily do in that context, I may as well just go back to 2-button mouses.

Hey guys I hear if you go back to cassette tapes you can hold less music in your player! INNOVATION!

But who knows. Smarter people than I are working on this stuff, so maybe it'll be made practical and useable somehow.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I really want someone to make touchscreens useful. At $400 AUD when Dell has a special I would buy the fuck out of them if there was software which worked around the house.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Count ZeroCount Zero Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Check this:

"Yeah that nifty demo of a technology that is still in its infancy sucks, check out this awesome alternate reality where everything is a touchscreen"

I mean there are definitely hurdles to getting this whole augmented reality ball rolling, but I could post a clip out of star wars and it would be about as relevant as that touchscreen thing.

Count Zero on
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38624&dateline=1248802110
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Count Zero wrote: »

Check this:

"Yeah that nifty demo of a technology that is still in its infancy sucks, check out this awesome alternate reality where everything is a touchscreen"

I mean there are definitely hurdles to getting this whole augmented reality ball rolling, but I could post a clip out of star wars and it would be about as relevant as that touchscreen thing.

Except some of the tech in that video is real whereas Star Wars laser weapons and lightsabers and spaceships and such aren't.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    bentbent Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I love the ideas behind sixth sense. It's really the most innovative device that's being worked on here and now.

One thing most people don't seem to realize is that he's wearing an actual working prototype in that video, not an ideal design of the final product. I'm sure it will be refined to a much smaller size.

bent on
    sig1.png
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Check this:

I want to live in this world.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Count ZeroCount Zero Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Darmak wrote: »

Check this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvA9lA7_5FE[url][/url]

Except some of the tech in that video is real whereas Star Wars laser weapons and lightsabers and spaceships and such aren't.

We have lasers, we even have lasers that you can use to shoot down missiles and such, we even have spaceships, admittedly we are a little closer to touchworld (:winky:) than we are to star wars but the comparison is still apt. On the other hand i was being petulant at someone who apparently was banned for being an alt so I might as well drop it.

Count Zero on
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38624&dateline=1248802110
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Check this:

We have lasers, we even have lasers that you can use to shoot down missiles and such, we even have spaceships, admittedly we are a little closer to touchworld (:winky:) than we are to star wars but the comparison is still apt. On the other hand i was being petulant at someone who apparently was banned for being an alt so I might as well drop it.

Let's agree to disagree, and laugh at the alt getting banned.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Check this:

I want to live in this world.

Waaaaaaaant.

My friend was just talking about how cool ePaper will be when we finally make that feasible. Have all your data stored on a cloud/home server thing too, so if you ever lose your piece of epaper, go to best buy, get a new one for 3 bucks, login, deactivates the old one, etc. Future, want!

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Check this:

Let's agree to disagree, and laugh at the alt getting banned.

That is a very cool video and I'm glad it was shared.

However, that video was obviously made for shits and giggles. It's an ideal creative direction for Microsoft.

The sixth sense thing is already here. I'm going to make one this year. Especially since all the software is going to be open source. I wish the software would be released already! D:

ArbitraryChemicals on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah the Sixth Sense thing is badass, and it was badass the last time we talked about it. Once they put all that projector tech into, say, a phone? Holy shit.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Yeah the Sixth Sense thing is badass, and it was badass the last time we talked about it. Once they put all that projector tech into, say, a phone? Holy shit.

It would be cool if someone adapted the software for a phone to use its camera and display the information on the screen. Not as cool as the thing by itself by would be a nice stopgap untill the device was streamlined.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited January 2010

It would be cool if someone adapted the software for a phone to use its camera and display the information on the screen. Not as cool as the thing by itself by would be a nice stopgap untill the device was streamlined.

That'd be interesting. I was thinking more that, rather than wear the projector on your neck, you have a little device you set out that works like the phone in the Microsoft video, just take it out, use it with your surroundings, etc.

Though that'll probably be a helluva lot more difficult. Sixth Sense glasses? that'd be badass if able to be done without bulk.

OH GOD DBZ VIZORS

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

That'd be interesting. I was thinking more that, rather than wear the projector on your neck, you have a little device you set out that works like the phone in the Microsoft video, just take it out, use it with your surroundings, etc.

Though that'll probably be a helluva lot more difficult. Sixth Sense glasses? that'd be badass if able to be done without bulk.

OH GOD DBZ VIZORS
    ma-garrus.jpg

mere_immortal on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I really really want someone to figure out a reasonably high resolution wearable display. I would ditch my laptop in an instant if we could get 1280x800 somehow projected on a pair of glasses.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In the video we saw the guy dial a phone number with the projector projecting on his hand. But although you're right that this technology would be much more convenient as something other than a weird clunky necklace, I still think it's more exciting than the iPad, especially now that the iPad's been officially announced since the time this thread was started.

ArbitraryChemicals on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The SixthSense stuff is really, really cool. What really has me excited is the potential. How would hospital staff use something like this? EMTs? Police and firefighters? The military? The disabled and elderly?

I'm sure that the unit will be much smaller once it goes live. I doubt it'd be any more intrusive than the myriad of id badges and flash drives some people wear around their necks once it's all said and done.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    CrovaxanCrovaxan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Kainy wrote: »
    My favorite part about mockups for all of these technologies is how insanely slow and deliberate the movements of the actors pretending to interact with them are.

Fuck, if I want a technology that'll make it take a very slow, measured hand gesture to do what moving my mousewheel up four clicks could easily do in that context, I may as well just go back to 2-button mouses.

Hey guys I hear if you go back to cassette tapes you can hold less music in your player! INNOVATION!

But who knows. Smarter people than I are working on this stuff, so maybe it'll be made practical and useable somehow.

Well of course they have to be slow and deliberate it's brand new technology, you don't just dismiss it as useless because it doesn't work instantly.

"Hey guys i made this thing its a wire and u send little electronic pulses on it and after a good minute of beeps u use this long decoder thing to find out the message!"
    "Thats slow and stupid. YOUR slow and stupid! why cant u make something i just pick up and talk and someone hears my voice instead? GAWD!"

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
    Crovax.436 Steam: Crovaxan