As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GOTY poll 2006 RESULTS

• Options
    DeaconKnowledgeDeaconKnowledge Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I felt that Zelda was the undeserved winner. But we all knew it was going to win, I mean this is the PA forums for fucks sake.

Regardless, next time you should just take the top 10 games and call them the games of the year, and not release the actual scores.

GOTY if anthing just cause arguments. I feel any one of the top 10 games could have been GOTY and I would have had no objection.

God Almighty.

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
    Animal Crossing - 3566 5318 4585/2492 7891 0383 Deacon/Akisha in Crayon
  • Options
    CullenCullen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Cullen wrote:
    mcc, out of interest what are the weightings on the positions? Just wondering how Dead Rising placed 2 above EBA when EBA has double the number of 1st place votes.

IIRC, it works like this..

If something gets voted #1, it gets 20 points. #2, it gets 19 points, etc. etc. until #20 where it gets 1 point. So basically, even if a game doesn't get a lot of #1 votes, it can still put up a strong showing if it frequently popped up as the #2 or #5 or whatever on peoples lists.

That's now I thought it would work. I guess I didn't think the lower placed scores would count as much as they do, just from looking at them. Just ran the numbers myself and it checks out!

Cullen on
  • Options
    ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I felt that Zelda was the undeserved winner. But we all knew it was going to win, I mean this is the PA forums for fucks sake.

Regardless, next time you should just take the top 10 games and call them the games of the year, and not release the actual scores.

GOTY if anthing just cause arguments. I feel any one of the top 10 games could have been GOTY and I would have had no objection.

God Almighty.

Yeah I realised my contradiction but hoped noone noticed. :oops:

What I was saying really was that I feel Zelda was undeserved, in my opinion. And while my opinion carries as much gravitas in these polls as anyone else, I think that a best games poll should not rank games.

I mean I remember last year the huge arguments over Resi 4 or SoTC which raged, because people dont like their favorite game to lose.

I dont think Zelda should have won, but that in no way means that I thought it was crap, or that I object to other people voting for it. It just means that it was very hard this year to choose one game over another, especially with a lot more platforms to choose from.

Still, you cannot deny the PA forums have a strong Nintendo bias, and dont say 'that's only cause we like fun', there is nothing wrong with an 'allegiance' towards a dev, especially one as good as Nintendo. But 9/10 a Ninty game would prevail in discussion/polls over a non ninty one in G&T, even if it was point of fact inferior.

Regardless, in reality GOTY polls mean nothing. To the dev its sales that matter, and I assume most of those top 10 are kicking ass in sales anyway (I know Gears is verging on 3 mil already, and god knows Zelda should basically be considered a pack-in game with the Wii it is that good)

ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I think the real shocker is that Electroplankton beat Sneak King.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    Smarmy LechSmarmy Lech Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm sad that Viva Pinata wasn't within the top twenty. Other than that, I can't really complain about the way the list shaped up.

I also can't remember what I voted for game of the year.

Smarmy Lech on
    Cottontail.png
  • Options
    AlphaTwoAlphaTwo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    BTP wrote:
    As much as any of us praised Sneak King, it's not that special. The novelty wears off quickly.

AlphaTwo on
  • Options
    PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    I want to inform you that Tetris DS is one of the best games I've ever played.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    AlphaTwo wrote:
    BTP wrote:
    As much as any of us praised Sneak King, it's not that special. The novelty wears off quickly.

While people have said that for both games, Electroplankton was a full priced game and Sneak King was 4 bucks and could be played on two consoles.

Despite that mass availability, Sneak King received only two more votes than Electroplankton. And Electroplankton still won over it.

Any way you cut it, it's a surprise win.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    edited January 2007

God Almighty.

Yeah I realised my contradiction but hoped noone noticed. :oops:

What I was saying really was that I feel Zelda was undeserved, in my opinion. And while my opinion carries as much gravitas in these polls as anyone else, I think that a best games poll should not rank games.

I mean I remember last year the huge arguments over Resi 4 or SoTC which raged, because people dont like their favorite game to lose.

I dont think Zelda should have won, but that in no way means that I thought it was crap, or that I object to other people voting for it. It just means that it was very hard this year to choose one game over another, especially with a lot more platforms to choose from.

Still, you cannot deny the PA forums have a strong Nintendo bias, and dont say 'that's only cause we like fun', there is nothing wrong with an 'allegiance' towards a dev, especially one as good as Nintendo. But 9/10 a Ninty game would prevail in discussion/polls over a non ninty one in G&T, even if it was point of fact inferior.

Regardless, in reality GOTY polls mean nothing. To the dev its sales that matter, and I assume most of those top 10 are kicking ass in sales anyway (I know Gears is verging on 3 mil already, and god knows Zelda should basically be considered a pack-in game with the Wii it is that good)

I don't know where to begin with this.

Why are you so insistent on denying people the ability to rank these games? There is ann obvious ambition for people to vote, so to say that voting to rank makes zero sense. Similarly, naming 10 games "GOTY" is ridiculous, because the votes clearly denote a most popular game. Why should EBA be voted GOTY along with Oblivion when it clearly didn't get enough votes? Because you don't agree with it? So what? Better luck next year.

As far as the Nintendo bias, I can't help but claim this as utterly ridiculous at best. But let's say there was a bias, so what? That's why it's a popular vote. The PA Forums may have a Nintendo leaning, but show me one forum of any interest out there that doesn't favor one aspect of their enthusiasm. It's human nature. It also irks me that your post completely dismisses the possibility that Zelda was voted for because maybe it was the best game of 2006. No way that could happen, because it's a Nintendo game. olol bias.

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    See, the the difference is Toad is just pointing out the obvious (there is a strong Nintendo leaning on this forum), and you are putting words in his mouth by saying that he completely rejected the possibility that Zelda was voted for because it was the best game of 2006.

In any case, all GOTY picks are opinions, and this one isn't any more or less valid than any other GOTY opinion.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    ImranImran Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It's probably worth nothing that there was more than one board involved in the voting and screaming "PA has a bias omg" seems silly when the voting also occurred on sites like, say, 360 Arcadians which would would assume does not have a particular bias towards Nintendo.

Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Imran wrote:
    It's probably worth nothing that there was more than one board involved in the voting and screaming "PA has a bias omg" seems silly when the voting also occurred on sites like, say, 360 Arcadians which would would assume does not have a particular bias towards Nintendo.
    Oh, so how many non-PA-offshoot forums participated in the poll?

Zoolander on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    PotU wrote:
    I want to inform you that Tetris DS is one of the best games I've ever played.
    YEAH BITCHES :^: That was my number 3, I think, right after...
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Wii Sports, however, is faaaar too high.
    Interestingly, Wii Sports got nearly three times as many second-place votes as first-place ones. (73 to 25.) In fact, more people voted it as their number 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7 game (individually) than their number 1. So it clearly impressed a number of people.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Zoolander wrote:
    Imran wrote:

At least 2: 360 Arcadians and The Platformers

DeaconKnowledge on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Zoolander wrote:
    Imran wrote:

Zoolander on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Zoolander wrote:
    Zoolander wrote:
    Imran wrote:

You know, that statement could be misconstrued as offshoots that aren't Penny Arcade.

DeaconKnowledge on
  • Options
    quibblebarfquibblebarf Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I am pleased to see that Okami put up a good showing. (but it got beat out by EBA? What is wrong with you people?)

I finally played the endgame and rolled the credits on this game last night. I have to say, that was one of the most pleasureable end-game experiences I've had in a long time. Okami is beautiful and polished from beginning to end (except those damn VOICES *claws at ears*).

That is all.

quibblebarf on
  • Options
    ascotascot Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    wait wait wait, Shadow of the Colossus came out in 2006. Where the hell is it on that list??? It should be somewhere between Zelda and Gears of War. This is an outrage.

ascot on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ascot wrote:
    wait wait wait, Shadow of the Colossus came out in 2006. Where the hell is it on that list??? It should be somewhere between Zelda and Gears of War. This is an outrage.
    kanyewestjg1.gif
    "mcc doesn't care about PAL release dates"

It was out in 2005 in NA

-SPI- on
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wii sports is way too high, I say that as someone who has played it quite a bit. It doesn't have any of the staying power or depth or magic that any of the other top ten titles have.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    ascotascot Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    -SPI- wrote:
    ascot wrote:
    "mcc doesn't care about PAL release dates"

It was out in 2005 in NA

Oh I see, must have been very late 2005, it was early 06 here. Never mind, carry on!

ascot on
  • Options
    MenaceMenace regular
    edited January 2007
    Wii sports is way too high, I say that as someone who has played it quite a bit. It doesn't have any of the staying power or depth or magic that any of the other top ten titles have.

I completely disagree.

It is made of magic.

Menace on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Menace wrote:

I completely disagree.

It is made of magic.

There's just far too little game there, and virtually no skill progression. Then again, if we judged everything based on how hard it is and how much better you have to get at it between the beginning and the end of the game, zelda wouldn't be up there either.

Alucard6986 on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Menace wrote:

I completely disagree.

It is made of magic.

There's just far too little game there, and virtually no skill progression. Then again, if we judged everything based on how hard it is and how much better you have to get at it between the beginning and the end of the game, zelda wouldn't be up there either.
    Just because it's a game you play in short bursts doesn't mean it isn't a game. What about Wario Ware? Tetris? Virtually any shmup or fighting game?

And if you say there's no skill progression in Wii Tennis ... have you beaten the 2,000-level tennis champ?

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Man, there just isn't enough game to Pac-Man

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Man, there just isn't enough game to Pac-Man

THERE ISN'T!

Compared to EBA, FF12, ZELDA, okami, you know, games "of the year."

Alucard6986 on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Lunker wrote:
    Menace wrote:

I completely disagree.

It is made of magic.

Virtually any shmup or fighting game?

This is an insult to shmups and fighting games. The best shmups are fucking relentless in their difficulty, and the best fighting games require the most time to master a character.

Alucard6986 on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I like it. TP was my game of the year. Okami was my number 2, and did quite well considering that it apparently sold like shit. EBA and Portrait of Ruin are pretty high, too.

Elendil on
  • Options
    Elessar ElfstoneElessar Elfstone Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Gears and Vegas were my favourite games of the year but no surprise that Zelda made #1 here.

Elessar Elfstone on
    Tobias: Or it could be your colon. I'd want to get in there and find some answers.

Forsake, Warlock of Stonemaul
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Blakout wrote:
    Those are all good choices. I'm not surprised Zelda won, but I am surprised it won by that much. I mean, yeah, it's Zelda and all, but it got like triple the #1 votes of Gears.

Yeah,... ditto here. Granted I didn't vote for Gears at all, but I expected to see a tight grouping of Zelda/Gears/FFXII at the top, then a small margin, then the rest.

Total agreement on Excite Truck though.... even though enjoyable, nobody thought it was GOTY. :)

(I love this voting system because it actually recognizes games that are consistently considered "good", not just games that are stand-out hits. On any other poll, Excite Truck wouldn't have even registered since it never got a #1 vote.)

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Lunker wrote:
    Menace wrote:

I completely disagree.

It is made of magic.

Virtually any shmup or fighting game?

This is an insult to shmups and fighting games. The best shmups are fucking relentless in their difficulty, and the best fighting games require the most time to master a character.
    Now which do you mean by "skill progression" -- as in it takes time to learn how to do things right, or that as you play your character develops more skills? And again: Have you beaten the 2,000-level Wii Tennis champ? I'm not saying Wii Sports is remotely near Ikaruga or VF4 levels of difficulty, but few shmups or fighting games offer a real sense of skill progression. You don't gain powers or build levels or grind mobs or anything, you just ... play. All the skills of the character are open to you from the get-go.

Rez is one of my favorite games, and it can be played front-to-back in 45 minutes, but I would never say there's too little of a game there.

Lunker on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I only voted for 1 game, and it ended up "winning".

The thing is, I played a lot of really good games this year. Gears of War, Okami, EBA, NSMB, etc., etc. However, the difference in how much fun I had with any of the other games and Zelda was so enormous that I couldn't really feel justified voting for anything else.

Yeah, I'm a complete Zelda fanboy (not Nintendo, mind you). But I think that would only be objectionable if it was for a series/franchise in which every game wasn't as insanely good and polished as the Zelda series. It just so happens that I'm in love with a franchise which always out does any other game whenever a new chapter comes out.

Graviija on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If I could have voted down some games, I would have. FF12 was my biggest disappointment of the year, Zelda wasn't as good as it should have been, and Gears loses huge points for having a plot in a book and never mentioning it in game.

Half-Life 2 Episode 1, .hack//G.U., Okami, and MGS Portable Ops all came out of left field or were better than I thought they would be.

Renzo on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited January 2007
    You are ridiculous, G&T. "oloz, an awesome game won GOTY, but because it's not my personal fave, BIAS!!!"

I can't remember if anyone cried bias when Halo 2 and Half Life 2 shared the top 2 spots in 2004, or when RE4 won 2005. I do remember G&T being a great deal more mature then. :p

I mean, for gods sake, there's two 360 titles in the top 5, occupying top spots. They're there because they're great games. Zelda's there because it's a great game.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I don't recall mentioning bias.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Renzo wrote:
    There are still cool people here. Sorry to generalize. :)

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Dareth Ram wrote:
    Renzo wrote:
    There are still cool people here. Sorry to generalize. :)
    :^: It's cool. I thought you were referring to me because your post was after mine.

Renzo on
  • Options
    Alex EncandarAlex Encandar Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dark crusade should have gotten farther up the list but TP definatly deserved first place.

Alex Encandar on
  • Options
    milathmilath Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Cool looking list! I've only played like 3 of the top 10, but, still... very neat looking little boxes.

Anyway, I think the real problem with any *OTY is memory. Games that came out at the end of the year have a much better chance of being in the top 10 or so than say, something that came out at the beginning of the year simply because people remember the more recent game better. Not saying Zelda or GoW didn't deserve to be up there, though, just that they are more fresh in everyone's minds.

It's kinda the same deal as movies being picked for academy noms. The ones that are released earlier in the year have a much lower instance of being picked than a few that were released at the end of the year, which leads many filmmakers to release their films at the end of the year if they think they deserve academy attention. Sometimes I wonder if we won't see, or aren't already seeing, this sort of release schedule from game developers as well.

milath on
    steam_sig.png
    "No.. I was wrong. This must be what going mad feels like."

• Options
    edited January 2007
    milath wrote:
    Anyway, I think the real problem with any *OTY is memory. Games that came out at the end of the year have a much better chance of being in the top 10 or so than say, something that came out at the beginning of the year simply because people remember the more recent game better. Not saying Zelda or GoW didn't deserve to be up there, though, just that they are more fresh in everyone's minds.
    Our 2005 GOTY was Resident Evil 4, and that came out at the begining of the year.

Dareth Ram on