Options

Bayonetta - Game of the Forever will get Sequel of the Forever. Page 49.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I saw this thread today, and it reminded me that I never actually played it. I always intended to buy it, just never got round to it.

Until today!

Seriously though, this shit is fucked up.. but in a great way.

Shimshai on
    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It really is. Feel free to continue to post your impressions. It never gets old to hear a first time player of bayonetta talk about it.
    Keep story stuff in spoiler though, just in case someone else like you comes along later.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Dorktron9000Dorktron9000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It honestly didn't occur to me at the time to go around crapping up statues and stuff.

Dorktron9000 on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Point A: Darksiders is Zelda. Anyone who correlates Darksiders with something that isn't Zelda either hasn't realized how Zelda it is yet or has somehow managed into the modern age with some kind of physiological incapability for knowing a Zelda when they see one.

Point B: The next Bayonetta game should be a midquel that takes place at a random place in the middle of the first game. It would work because olol time magicks.

Point C: Shimshai, you don't even know how fucked this shit is yet.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    It is quickly becoming apparent that this game is fantastic. It's reminding me of Ninja Gaiden in that even though I'm not really sure what I'm doing in combat, it's still awesome. But it'll be even better when I play through it again and I am a god.

Oh and the story and setting is just getting more and more ridiculous by the minute. How does anyone even write this stuff?

And I mean that in a good way.

Shimshai on

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Shimshai something that will help you a lot is making an effort to use every move you have a fair few times. The greater your repertoire of internalised moves the easier it is for your subconscious to suggest to you what to do.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's one of the games where watching someone play is just as fun as playing it yourself. It's just so entertaining.

Glal on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Glal wrote: »
    It's one of the games where watching someone play is just as fun as playing it yourself. It's just so entertaining.

I played it for my date the other night. He's a game geek but is TERRIBLY unlearned in game lore and had never even heard of Bayonetta (or the Legend of Zelda if you can believe that). He watched level 1 and giggled like a school girl. He does NOT giggle like a school girl.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Shimshai something that will help you a lot is making an effort to use every move you have a fair few times. The greater your repertoire of internalised moves the easier it is for your subconscious to suggest to you what to do.

Is it possible to see the combo list anywhere while in-game? It would be a big help. Although I suppose I could do that beginning tutorial again, that might help.
    Magic Pink wrote: »

I played it for my date the other night. He's a game geek but is TERRIBLY unlearned in game lore and had never even heard of Bayonetta (or the Legend of Zelda if you can believe that). He watched level 1 and giggled like a school girl. He does NOT giggle like a school girl.

Was it because her clothes kept disappearing? :)

Shimshai on

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Shimshai wrote: »

That, the weird moves, the poses... everything.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Is it possible to see the combo list anywhere while in-game? It would be a big help. Although I suppose I could do that beginning tutorial again, that might help.

You can press select on every loading screen to get the move list at the right and as much time as you like to practise!

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Ah fantastic, just what I needed!

Shimshai on

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I'm so into this kinda game I didn't bat an eyelid until somewhere around Chapter 2

Jintor on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh heck yes. Rodin going shopping for baking goodies in the 9 levels of Hell?
    Day One.
    Especially if he had a special Bayonetta costume.
    Thinking some more about this, a game with Rodin that's plays like a spiritual successor / evolution of God Hand.

Glal on
  • Options
    JoJoHoraHoraJoJoHoraHora ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh heck yes. Rodin going shopping for baking goodies in the 9 levels of Hell?
    Day One.
    Especially if he had a special Bayonetta costume.
    Thinking some more about this, a game with Rodin that's plays like a spiritual successor / evolution of God Hand.

But he's not Alexander!

JoJoHoraHora on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Jintor wrote: »

I'm so into this kinda game I didn't bat an eyelid until somewhere around Chapter 2

Which ramped up exponentially until the end of the game.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited February 2011

You can see the movelist in one of the menus, dig around.

An important skill to learn is to dodge while holding your combo. You know what I'm talking about?
    I'll explain just in case.
    Let's say you are doing P=punch K=kick
    P,K,P.
    the little mini weave.
    As you press K, hold it down and don't let go, then dodge two or three times, then once she finishes dodging, press P. The weave will come out. (You can do it after one dodge, but when you are learning it'd be easier to do several to give yourself time to react)

Later on you will get a movement power that lets you scoot around battle. You can use this "holding the combo" method with this power as well, giving you the flexibility to unleash your finishers, launchers and power moves wherever you want. Note that the move you are holding can be completely cancelled and it will still work. So you could, as a basic example, do this with the P,K,P but not actually see the Kick animation at all. She will look like she is doing a punch, dodge, then weave.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The story makes no real sense at all. I'm wondering if the developer was high as shit while writing most of this.

The only thing that pisses me off is creatures that are immune to witch time. I've beaten it on normal, now for the hard run.

As for impressions-
    Camera angles sometimes sucks, overall though above average compared to some games. This is what tron evolution should of felt like. Very fluid, even the motorbike felt superior to the light cycle. Jumping puzzles kept to a minimum (thank heavens)

I never played DMC, but it feels like you have to learn the combos and timing of each enemy to really master this game. Knowing where the QTE'S show up would make a difference too.

Is it just me or getting stone rating for the first run normal for the first bit? or do I suck at this game?

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Everybody sucks the first time. Everybody gets stones.
    I got stones. The best player in the world got stones.
    Fucking Kamiya probably got stones. It's a normal thing.

Knowing the timing of enemies, all the comboes and how to use them effectively is what bayonetta is all about. So you are right on the money there. Good assessment for someone unfamiliar with DMC style btw.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Don't worry about Gracious and Glorious (immune to witch time Grace + Glory) right now. Everybody has trouble with the fuckers the first time around.

Dual shotgun loadout / Sword + Rocket Tonfas is perfectly capable of kicking their asses once you get your reaction timing down

Jintor on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    You can kill them with anything once you figure them out.
    I still haven't fully figured them out on the hardest difficulties but I'm pretty good at normal and hard.
    Like, somehow I'm dodging them now but honest to god I don't think I've learnt how to deal with them consciously. I don't remember going "Oh they do x after y" I just realised after a month or so that "Hey I'm dodging that in a consistent manner I guess I learnt something?"
    So I basically went from "WTF IS GOING ON" to "Woot this is pretty cool" without actually realising what I was doing.

This happens to me sometimes and it's always surprising. Happened a ton in Godhand.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Jintor wrote: »
    Don't worry about Gracious and Glorious (immune to witch time Grace + Glory) right now. Everybody has trouble with the fuckers the first time around.

Dual shotgun loadout / Sword + Rocket Tonfas is perfectly capable of kicking their asses once you get your reaction timing down

It was actually doing the 3 torture attacks in the beginning of hard that those two fuckers started screwing me over.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    the trick with that is to realise there is an infinite spawn of them. So don't try to go easy on them. Smash them one after the other until you build it up. It doesn't matter if you have to kill five per torture using cheap stuff, just as long as you get them in the end.
    Going easy on them out of fear that you will run out means they have a field day with you.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, Hard's prologue is significantly more annoying than a lot of the rest of Hard.

Jintor on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I didn't. I got, at worst, Bronze. Mostly got gold and platinum. :rotate:

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    MattakuevanMattakuevan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I think I literally had every single one be silver. It was weird.

Mattakuevan on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    During a chapter I'll get mostly silver, with a few of all the rest in there. And I'll also have no medal for some sections apparently. Is it easy to miss a lot of stuff in this game? I seem to miss on about 2 medals per chapter.

Shimshai on

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MattakuevanMattakuevan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You're missing the trials. You have to backtrack to find them usually.

Mattakuevan on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I suggest you use a faq to find the trial locations, unless you really enjoy backtracking after every small section of a level to make sure you're not missing anything. There's still plenty of challenge in actually clearing the trials.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The backtracking you need to do goes along with the QTEs as the worst parts of the game. In fact, the only bad parts of the game at all.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Meh, I'll get them on the second playthrough, It's not a big deal to me at this point.

Shimshai on

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Meh, I'll get them on the second playthrough, It's not a big deal to me at this point.

Yeah, the first time around is meant mainly for drinking in the crazy.

...you only think the game is crazy now.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I am aware of just how unaware of the craziness I am. I know there's more coming, but it's just hard to imagine how it'll turn out.

As for drinking in the crazy, I'll be drinking while drinking in the crazy. Not sure how well that will turn out though. :)

Worked well enough for SF4 though!

I just noticed that the two games I've been playing lately are Morrowind and Bayonetta. As far as games go, they're almost polar opposites.

Shimshai on

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I think I literally had every single one be silver. It was weird.

You guys are both mutants.

I am aware of the irony.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I got no stones first time through I have to say. Got a few plats. The burning ground got me a bronze rage

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think I got one bronze and fifteen stone

unintentional on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    It's satisfying to get those pure platinum medals, even if it is only in a single verse. But still, it makes me feel great.

Until I end up with a stone trophy at the end of it.

Shimshai on

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Also the number of stones you get depends very strongly on how much you explored for aflheims. I did a lot of backtracking so

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I've only found two so far, but then I haven't played at nearly as much as I should have by now. Couldn't actually complete the second one I found (limited number of punches and kicks). I'm sure if I spent enough time at it I could have beaten it but I wasn't in the mood for that.

Shimshai on

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I was just trying to make him feel better there wasn't really any reason to come along and help make him feel worse yknow guys.
    Just saying.
    Yknow.

Morninglord on