God damnit I want the third place one.

Huntera on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Verflutche wrote: »
    No, they're random hat only.

Me as well. I would craft 3 refined metals for a small chance at getting one, but odds are I would just end up with a really shitty hat.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Lindsay Bluth FunkeLindsay Bluth Funke Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Joe K wrote: »
    Endaro wrote: »
    I think for the next testing night, we should assign certain things for each person to keep an eye on and critique. So instead of getting 24 duplicate "lol chokepoints", one person would be commenting on textures, one on lighting, one on gameplay flow, one on props, etc. Similarly, have a person for each class checking out the maps viability/biases. How useful is engie on this map? Are snipers overpowered? Enough side tunnels for spies/pyros?

On a similar note, we had a server of 24 full for a couple hours but the only ones to post critiques and suggestions so far are the mapmakers themselves. You lazy bastards.

This is a great idea and would be best implemented on final tests, when there are actual textures, brushes, overlays, etc to monitor for consistency. Gamplay flow, however, could and be checked at every possible opportunity. There should be an 'at least one of each class' rule implemented in tests, so that map makers can ensure their maps don't over power a certain class.

well, first you need to draw up test plans that cover all the aforementioned cases, check for corner cases, then convene a meeting to go over the test plan so that we have full coverage.

heynow doncha think that this is getting a bit like... work?

Work isn't nearly this much fun. :mrgreen: Besides, most of us here LIKE offering up critical opinions of other people hard work. Have a go at reading ANY of the TF2 threads here....we are critical people, and enjoy every second of it. We are also very supportive of each other as PAers, and don't mind helping when a map needs testing. Testing requires a certain specific to-do checklist; if it sounds like work to anyone, then they don't have to join in on the fun.

Lindsay Bluth Funke on
    Live free or die
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Verflutche wrote: »
    No, they're random hat only.

Me as well. I would craft 3 refined metals for a small chance at getting one, but odds are I would just end up with a really shitty hat.

I'm saving my one refined metal so I can try for a 50/50 chance at a good scout hat* eventually.

*Read "good scout hat" as; Hatless or Baker Boy

Huntera on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think for the next testing night, we should assign certain things for each person to keep an eye on and critique. So instead of getting 24 duplicate "lol chokepoints", one person would be commenting on textures, one on lighting, one on gameplay flow, one on props, etc. Similarly, have a person for each class checking out the maps viability/biases. How useful is engie on this map? Are snipers overpowered? Enough side tunnels for spies/pyros?

On a similar note, we had a server of 24 full for a couple hours but the only ones to post critiques and suggestions so far are the mapmakers themselves. You lazy bastards.

This is a great idea and would be best implemented on final tests, when there are actual textures, brushes, overlays, etc to monitor for consistency. Gamplay flow, however, could and be checked at every possible opportunity. There should be an 'at least one of each class' rule implemented in tests, so that map makers can ensure their maps don't over power a certain class.

well, first you need to draw up test plans that cover all the aforementioned cases, check for corner cases, then convene a meeting to go over the test plan so that we have full coverage.

It's called testing, so that we can make these maps worth voting for so you can dick around on them later. If you can't be bothered to be helpful during a test, than you should probably stay out of the overflooded server so that someone willing to help can get in.

tf2maps has a pretty good testing community built up. I'd say if someone was looking to get people to nitpick texture alignment and crate rotation.. go to them. They live for that shit.

PAers are useful for "is the map fun" or "how badly will engineers exploit this shit up".

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    xzzy wrote: »

It's called testing, so that we can make these maps worth voting for so you can dick around on them later. If you can't be bothered to be helpful during a test, than you should probably stay out of the overflooded server so that someone willing to help can get in.

tf2maps has a pretty good testing community built up. I'd say if someone was looking to get people to nitpick texture alignment and crate rotation.. go to them. They live for that shit.

PAers are useful for "is the map fun" or "how badly will engineers exploit this shit up".

Awwww, you have to give PAers a little more credit than that. There are a good handful of really skilled and willing people who will give honest and constructive feedback on map tests.

Lindsay Bluth Funke on
    Live free or die
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Uriak wrote: »
    Thanks a lot for the testing and feeckback. So what I thought of the maps I could play on

Xzzy
    Well, very open and frantic action. The issue is with the game mode itself, there is reason Valve forced people to cross each other tracks to get to the objective, with the exception of the final, in this case, there is a slippery slope where the leading team get quickly away from the losing one, and the action becomes scarcer. When the teams gets to the forward spawn, things are a bit mixed up, the losing team must walk backward to get and "pull" the cart rather than pushing it.
    This don't seems to be easily fixed with the current layout. If you wan't to keep things parallel then, you should consider a more curved path, that avoid the cart going to far geographically as it progress along the track. Some features are definitively interesting, though, such as the spawns battlement above the canyon, facing each other.

Not being defensive here, I just wanted to note that that was kind of the reason I set the map up like it was. I needed to see if the crossover was significant, how the game would play if teams had line of sight to enemy spawns, if rollback was important.. stuff like that.

It really seems like payload race needs a stalemate in order to play well. It needs a spot like the last point of bombditarod where teams spend 10 minutes shooting the hell out of each other before someone ninja pushes the cart. This is likely why valve put in the 'rollback zones' in plr.. it enforces the chokepoint issue. Teams have to clear out the enemy long enough to get the cart over the hump.

In that regard, last night's test was pretty illuminating. I sure understand plr a lot better than I did two days ago.. calling it "payload with two carts" is oversimplifying a whole lot.

I already know how I'm gonna deal with it, I just gotta sit down with hammer and rework things to fit.

xzzy on
  • Options
    davinciedavincie Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Persia was pretty and that one map that was all orange at the start was cool too, it basically is my perfect sniper heaven.

davincie on
    20qx2bp.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hmm. I need to get a more concrete idea of a design for my map before I get into hammer, I think.

What I've got in mind so far is: A/D 3 CP map, offense starts in a sort of cargo blimp and jumps out onto the roof of a tall structure of some sort. Offense pushes down the structure from there, defense comes from below. I am trying to think of a tall structure that could be the setting for this that wouldn't seem out of place in TF2's retro 50's spy/action movie setting.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    davincie wrote: »
    Persia was pretty and that one map that was all orange at the start was cool too, it basically is my perfect sniper heaven.

Having a sniper refer to a map as a "perfect sniper heaven" is probably a good indication that the map favors snipers a bit too much. And that more testing should be done. :wink:

Lindsay Bluth Funke on
    Live free or die
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I've obviously got a lot of work to do on my map, but for future reference testing a map, please don't try to break the map first thing. I had a few people just trying to jump over the fence for the first 5 minutes of my test. Their team was getting rolled the entire time, and it really didn't help me figure out if the map worked.

I'm going to seal it off so it's impossible by the next update.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    davincie wrote: »

Having a sniper refer to a map as a "perfect sniper heaven" is probably a good indication that the map favors snipers a bit too much. And that more testing should be done. :wink:

I agree, there should be more cover for the snipers.

davincie on
    20qx2bp.jpg
  • Options
    UriakUriak Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Here, Hey you, I've done a map test, you can find the record here. It's only two rounds, though, because it was a normal server rotation.

Well
    I may repeat almost entirely what Lindsay said : action was almost too fast, after the first couple minutes of struggle at the base, one team would let its cart to skyrocket in an instant, and from then, the action would involve more walking than fighting. The loosing team has obviously to split, leading to a greater disadvantage. Then the second stage feels almost the same, and the added starting distance doesn't seem to count really, since it's immediately followed by a rool back zone.
    There was an instance where the cart violently rolled back without being in such a zone. You may see it in the demo.

Since it kinda intersects the response from Xzzy, my two cents about the plr mode : like the ctf, it implies the hazardous balancing of having two objectives at once plus the additional burden of having these objectives moves. So far from what I've played
    - pipeline setup kinda works but feels quite classical 5cp ish : team in front of team, you go into ennemy territory
    - pipeline final/roolback zones à la panic : funny but utterly destroy any tactical advantage you had from previous moments be it on single or multi stage
    - parallel fight without roll back as in Xzzy's and Hey You's : simply put : slippery slope, fights loose intensity as the team progress, works in the negative way most maps work.
    - "pulling the cart" : avoid the slippery slope, but turn the game flow into raw chaos.

Well, so far my feeling is most plr setups are either "fair and boring" or "crazy and fun"... there is action, but it doesn't accuraly reflect one team's achievements. As for the multi stage issue, I'm not positive there is a fair way to handle this : they are currently mostly useless, but who'd want to start a stage with a sensible disadvantage ? (the same thing with ctf, when one team actually occupy the other base)
    I hope you guys find clever dieas to handle all these issues

Uriak on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I just found a soldiers stash, coolio.

davincie on
    20qx2bp.jpg
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Re: Secretproject

Reiterating the point made in-game that the sniper possibilities from below the spawn floor grate are ridiculously good. People running by, exposed and at range, on a flat surface + shadows and cover + no health for targets to pick up + them distracted by their carts + massive field of vision.

You could try closing off the sniper areas a bit and upping the lighting to start with. I'm not sure if the other option of something bisecting the map would do much for its flow.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Flippy_D wrote: »

Reiterating the point made in-game that the sniper possibilities from below the spawn floor grate are ridiculously good. People running by, exposed and at range, on a flat surface + shadows and cover + no health for targets to pick up + them distracted by their carts + massive field of vision.

You could try closing off the sniper areas a bit and upping the lighting to start with. I'm not sure if the other option of something bisecting the map would do much for its flow.

no comments on my video, flippy? or at least my signature!

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    crucialityfactorcrucialityfactor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    nealcm wrote: »

I think your signature basically says it all. What more do you want from him?

crucialityfactor on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

i want him to relive that moment

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    Bruce ForsythBruce Forsyth Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    i want some sort of acknowledgment because my mother never hugged me

Bruce Forsyth on
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    i'll tell you who his mother hugged

it was me

in bed

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    whoa whoa whoa, you're right i wanted acknowledgement, but it was for a totally different traumatic event

the fact that my mother would sink so low as to hug undeinpirat in bed

hes just so ugly

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    whoa whoa whoa, you're right i wanted acknowledgement, but it was for a totally different traumatic event

the fact that my mother would sink so low as to hug undeinpirat in bed

hes just so ugly

Not to mention a terrible hugger.

crucialityfactor on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This is getting off topic.

Someone better make a remark about undeinpirat pushing his bombcart into nealcm's mother's hole full of toxic waste barrels to get this thread back on topic.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You guys ever had a day where you just completely sucked for some reason? Finishing maps bottom of the scoreboard, 3:25 kill/death, that sort of thing? For no discernible reason?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh yea, it's just, I mostly have bad games, I have the exact opposite most of the time, I do good once in a blue moon, and do low-grade decent the rest of the time.

Albiet, it's been a LOOOOOONG time since I had a 3:25 K/D.

P.S: That scoreboard I linked 3 days ago, is the first time I've ever broken 100 in a game, in the 9 months I've had this thing.

Huntera on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Kills and deaths are zero-sum. Every kill you have is a death for someone else, and vice-versa. I know I was having a pretty awesome round-- about 4 to 1-- and others on my team were also doing well. Sometimes it doesn't matter how good you are if everyone else is at the top of their game as well.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    My bad days just include me killing myself more than usual.

I wouldn't be surprised if I was #1 for suicides on the servers.

crucialityfactor on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    My bad days just include me killing myself more than usual.

I wouldn't be surprised if I was #1 for suicides on the servers.

if dying while taunting for a freezecam counts as suicide

i would be #1 on that list

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

remember that one time where I killed you with that one weapon and you acted like you were actually getting mad about it and it was funny?

yeah

MrDelish on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    MrDelish wrote: »

remember that one time where I killed you with that one weapon and you acted like you were actually getting mad about it and it was funny?

yeah

familyguyteamfortressvx4.png

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    why

why would you do that

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Alright, the "random class or random team" enforcement script is back under development and live on my server.

I welcome all attempts to exploit it or get around it.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    jonxp wrote: »
    Alright, the "random class or random team" enforcement script is back under development and live on my server.

I welcome all attempts to exploit it or get around it.

I once tried to get around your mother...
    and she was super kind and moved right out the way with a smile on the first request. Delightful woman.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    More like Your Mom Jokes Fortress.

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    So after chewing it over in my head since last night, I think my plan is to change from doing a PLR map to a plan old PL map.

The problem is everything I think to do that would make the map play better would turn the map into more like pipeline, which I really wanted to avoid. The alternative would be to make it more like bombditarod or secret project, and I don't want to clone anyone's work.

But doing plain old payload seems like it could work. And I think based on the play I saw last night (as rough as it was), the ideas I had going were fun ones.

xzzy on
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That sounds like it would turn out pretty bad ass. I could see that flowing pretty well with the set up you had.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    No honor among soldiers
    cpgranary0029.jpg
    I am the worst spy
    cpgravelpit0025.jpg
    I did over 1200 damage
    plbadwater0027.jpg

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hey look!

Its me in the corner changing my name.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I did pretty awesome as soldier for a bit but then we lost. 9 assists in one life (buff banner woot) and I was something like 28-23-22 by the end of the game. normal RL/banner/equalizer is truly the best kit

L|ama on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    Hey look!

Its me in the corner changing my name.

are you trying to keep up with someone

and you don't know if you can do it?

oh no, you've said too much

MrDelish on
This discussion has been closed.