Options

Monolith+Nintendo Announces XenoBlade: Third Xeno Is the Charm?

• Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    the presentation looks amazing imo, if it really comes with a xeno-type storyline this will be brilliant. i dont see anywhere if Tetsuya Takahashi is involved though and even if he is... soma bringer was BAD, he might have lost his touch.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Htown wrote: »
    damnit.

Why the wii?

Because it's awesome.

I have a personal rule to never trust anyone with a gamer score over 10k to not be a silly goose, especially when it comes to video games NOT on an Xbox platform.

This particular goose needn't worry about getting his 1k on this game.

This is a strange generalization to make, ahem, you silly goose.

Perhaps I simply play a lot of games, already own two systems, and am somewhat dissappointed that a series that I enjoyed last generation is arriving on the one I don't own?

Oh, that's right, you aren't listening to me because of an arbitrary number.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Htown wrote: »
    damnit.

Why the wii?

Because it's awesome.

I have a personal rule to never trust anyone with a gamer score over 10k to not be a silly goose, especially when it comes to video games NOT on an Xbox platform.

This particular goose needn't worry about getting his 1k on this game.

This is a strange generalization to make, ahem, you silly goose.

Perhaps I simply play a lot of games, already own two systems, and am somewhat dissappointed that a series that I enjoyed last generation is arriving on the one I don't own?

Oh, that's right, you aren't listening to me because of an arbitrary number.

Considering the history of said series the fact that it has another sequel at all is amazing. Besides Nintendo bought these guys like 3 years ago.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Did Xenosaga really sell that badly?

chamberlain on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

It was originally a five game series and had to be condensed into three so I'm guessing sales weren't exactly stellar.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    chevluh wrote: »
    Trailer from last E3, from back when this was called Monado:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e309-debut-xenoblade/50332

It's sorta, well, it looks pretty generic, like a Rogue Galaxy + FF12 mishmash.

I hope that it isn't just generic jrpg that got renamed later on to tap to the fans of other xeno-games.

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    chevluhchevluh Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    jammu wrote: »

I hope that it isn't just generic jrpg that got renamed later on to tap to the fans of other xeno-games.

I don't quite think it's the case, because if it was a marketing coup it'd be a pretty silly marketing coup. I mean, let's face it, the xeno property as a whole isn't a commercial powerhouse. I'd be more easily inclined to think it's the other way round, and Takahashi disguised his next xeno-attempt as something else for a while to get the project greenlit.
    As far as I know each successive game sold less than the previous one, which is actually pretty much inevitable for a serial. I still don't get why they made the episodes so tightly knit, surely they should have realized it'd have discouraged most new players from taking the story en-route. A serial's the kinda stunt you only pull if you can release the games at close intervals and for little cost, the .Hack way, not for blockbuster-budgeted games that get released over years.

But to give you an idea, the expensive PS2 Xenosaga 3 sold around 180'000 copies in japan, while on the other hand the much, much cheaper DS Endless Frontier sold around 150'000.

chevluh on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/100129/06.html
    We decided to call it XENOBLADE to honor Mr. Tetsuya Takahashi who poured his soul into making this and who has been working on the XENO series.
    o_O

Couscous on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hmmm.

I remember seeing those Monado screens which were generally totally ignored everywhere. It looked promising...although I think something about the camera needs fixing. I reeeeally hope there's a different camera angle in the final game, or something.

Is it just me?

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I really hope Soraya Saga's involved in this. While her mental well-being is....questionable....she has been responsible for the most interesting characters and stories in both Xenogears and Xenosaga (she is credited for Bart, Billy, Jr, Albedo, Ziggy, and so forth. She's also credited with Edgar and Sabin in FFVI).

Turns out she has a DA page, and has recently released her concept artwork for Titus 12, a defunct project that looked real interesting before she hastily removed the images from her official site.

TITUS_12_by_Solaryear.jpg

The_captain_by_Solaryear.jpg

Jinx_and_Robin_by_Solaryear.jpg

VR_5_Hugo_by_Solaryear.jpg

Noe_Meou_and_Nirvana_by_Solaryear.jpg

Drake_in_color_by_Solaryear.jpg

It's some good stuff, and I would love to see this become an actual game someday (in which she says in her DA page that it's still a possibility).

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/100129/06.html
    We decided to call it XENOBLADE to honor Mr. Tetsuya Takahashi who poured his soul into making this and who has been working on the XENO series.
    o_O

It's much better than trying to make it some sort of sequel or something. That would pretty much guarantee my apathy on the project.

Xenogears tried the George Lucas method of starting at chapter 5. That idea never got off the ground.

Xenosaga tried the "We're making a 6 game story arc epic!" plan. That plan cracked after the first game, completely shattered after the second, and only an act of God let them sweep up the pieces and glue together a finale.

Were they to try yet AGAIN... well I'm out. I'm too old to go through that crap again.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I thought people had generally agreed long ago that the "chapter 5" in Xenogears signified not the idea of being the 5th game in a potential series, but that Fei's story in particular was the 5th chapter in the overall story which included several other stories throughout history and which are touched on within Xenogears' plot.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Xenosaga 1 is bad, Xenosaga 2 is worst.
    Xenosaga 3 is good.

Poor sales leading to namco selling off Monolithsoft.
    And Nintendo buying it.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    damnit.

Why the wii?

Because you touch yourself at night.

EDIT:

To be more constructive.... I don't know the first thing about xenowhatever but Baten Kaitos was pretty good... So I'm optimistic.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    damnit.

Why the wii?

It's gonna be a fighting game. I just know it.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    chevluhchevluh Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's an ARPG.

chevluh on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It's an ARPG.

Okay. That trailer looks MUCH better than the screens. I can also tell what bothers me about the screens.

The user interface is too damn big. It's crowding the camera.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    damnit.

Why the wii?

EDIT:

To be more constructive.... I don't know the first thing about xenowhatever but Baten Kaitos was pretty good... So I'm optimistic.

Who doesn't?

And the first Baten Kaitos was very good, never played the second.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    damnit.

Why the wii?

EDIT:

Who doesn't?

And the first Baten Kaitos was very good, never played the second.

Second one's better than the first.

As for this, I'm firmly in "cautiously optimistic." I just hope this one isn't another grand story arc that sputters out.

Dartboy on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    courtesy of gonintendo courtesy famitsu
    - "The world setting, story and other elements have no relation (to past Xeno games). It's a completely new title." - Xenoblade director Tetsuya Takahashi
    - Takahashi feels that past Monolith titles have focused on events and scenarios, and this development path was a dead end
    - Xenoblade started off with the dev team examining the origins of the RPG genre, and creating a game that was simply fun
    - Why does this game have 'Xeno' in the title? "I wanted to to have some sort of common point with the games I've made."
    - "Xeno" has the meaning of "different nature" or "uniqueness"
    - the 'blade' portion of the name is explained in the game's ending
    - background story involves two golds that fought a great battle tens of thousands of years ago
    - the end of this battle resulted in two giant corpses, which happen to be the setting for this game
    - "It seemed like it would be enjoyable to adventure on top of the body of a giant god." h
    - Mr. Takahashi was inspired by Soma Bringer for his giant god idea, and started to work on design documents right away
    - a model of the two gods (one with wings) was created in order to better give a sense of what's going on
    - the two gods are frozen in battle, with swords clashing against one another
    - the model was created before game development began. "It was of great help when explaining the project to Nintendo."
    - the entire game takes place on the two gods, and you'll find nothing but ocean surrounding them. There's not even any outer space to speak of.
    - the game world is about the size of Japan
    - areas of the world open up as you explore
    - you'll be able to go inside one of the gods
    - verticality is a big part of Xenoblade. "From the start of the project, we thought it would be interesting if we could make use of a vertical construction."
    - Areas of the world correspond to parts of the gods' bodies
    - you'll also experience different weather and varied monster ecolog
    - you can head to the top of one of the gods to see an aurora
    - the people that live on the different gods are fighting with each other
    - one god is a home to organic life (where the main character is from), and the other is home to mechanical life
    - story beginning: "It's simple -- the fight against mechanical life that threatens the peace of mankind."
    - the game kicks off in a cave on the foot of one god
    - your aim is to make it to the god's head
    - the game keeps track of where you should be going for both the main quest and side quests
    - use warps to transport back to older areas
    - specific systems in place to keep you from getting lost
    - seamless world movement: "We've put effort into this, because we felt that in order to show a living world, we needed an overwhelming sense of scale, like that of an MMORPG."
    - gain experience for exploring special areas that include monsters that can't be defeated at first. Level up and return to take these foes down.
    - enemies visible in the game world, encounter one and you seamlessly transition to battle
    - nearby enemies can join in on battles
    - journey with two AI-controlled characters
    - select special skills (called Arts) for your AI party members
    - your character performs attacks automatically
    - Arts - attack skills, recovery skills and more
    - 50 to 60 hours of gameplay
    - Takahashi promises you won't spend endless amounts of time grinding or engaging in event scenes

Guek on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The story about two frozen gods sounds very intriguing.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    "The world setting, story and other elements have no relation (to past Xeno games). It's a completely new title." -
    - Takahashi feels that past Monolith titles have focused on events and scenarios, and this development path was a dead end.
    Way to lower expectations. If you liked our previous games, this is not for YOU! :?

I'm going to wait and see more video material before deciding, but this news was a downer.

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    "The world setting, story and other elements have no relation (to past Xeno games). It's a completely new title." -
    - Takahashi feels that past Monolith titles have focused on events and scenarios, and this development path was a dead end.
    Way to lower expectations. If you liked our previous games, this is not for YOU! :?

I'm going to wait and see more video material before deciding, but this news was a downer.

So you preferred the hugely uneven playtime to movie watching ratio?

There's nothing more exciting sometimes than playing a boss battle just to have to sit there and watch a half hour of movie. It was the weakest thing about his past Xeno titles in my opinion, including Xenogears.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    94361_xb_1_3_122_957lo.jpg

94358_xb_1_2_122_2lo.jpg

94355_xb_1_1_122_526lo.jpg

94369_xb_1_5_122_202lo.jpg

I call bullshots, but a man can dream

Guek on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

So you preferred the hugely uneven playtime to movie watching ratio?

There's nothing more exciting sometimes than playing a boss battle just to have to sit there and watch a half hour of movie. It was the weakest thing about his past Xeno titles in my opinion, including Xenogears.

Some of us would consider that half hour movie as the reward from the dungeon crawl and/or bossfight. :)

edit: Xenosaga was my top jrpg in recent game of the decade poll. I'd value only few snes era jrpg higher than it.
    (ff6, chrono trigger)

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Heh, I could understand that.

Yea, I wasn't a fan of so much movie time myself. When I got to the third disc of Xenogears, I hated it, as it was nothing but boss fight/movie, bossfight/movie for like 4-5 hours of the game.

God I hated doing that disc so much, it nearly ruined the game for me.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Gears has TWO DISKS.

The second disk is bad though.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Wow, that story and setting sounds incredibly awesome. It's like Shadow of the Colossus x 1000. And you know the gods are going to move or threaten to move at some point!

What if the main antagonist wasn't some crazy Sephiroth guy, but the entire "landmass" you live on?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Real-time combat. 2 gods frozen time in middle of combat.

I'm sensing some epic final boss fight potential here!

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Gears has TWO DISKS.

The second disk is bad though.

Sorry, second disc. My point still stands. It was brutal for me to slog through it.

edit: Yea, the setting does sound awesome....and if the final boss were you having to fight and destroy the land in which you all live on...well that would be pretty awesome and tragic.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    no one is going to comment how ridiculously gorgeous those screens look? :P

Guek on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yea, the screens look fantastic.

Sadly this game has me more excited so far than FFXIII...how crazy is that?

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    edit: Xenosaga was my top jrpg in recent game of the decade poll. I'd value only few snes era jrpg higher than it.
    (ff6, chrono trigger)

Xenosaga Episode II was mine. I fucking love that game.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Yea, the screens look fantastic.

Sadly this game has me more excited so far than FFXIII...how crazy is that?

Me too. Before I thought it sounded pretty generic but with that setting and those screens, it is shaping up to be a pretty sweet game.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    (ff6, chrono trigger)

Xenosaga Episode II was mine. I fucking love that game.

All of them were great. 2 had the best battle system, if I remember correctly. Hard, but fair.

I wish more games had collectable card games in them like in xenosaga 1.
    I spent lot of time opening virtual boosters and designing decks, just to face AI.

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Final Fantasy VIII had my favorite in game card game. Man I spent hours just playing that card game to collect all the rare cards.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Guek wrote: »
    I call bullshots, but a man can dream
    Baten Kaitos had gorgeous background shots, and the Wii is as we all know one and a half GameCube taped together, so those shots aren't exactly outside the realm of possibility.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    *chews on feature/info quotes*

*chews on mag scans*

*counts beads*

Huh. Hopefully I'm not being too frank here, but never though there'd come a day when I'd have to start budgeting for the numerous worthy Wii games hitting in 2010. This is easily my seventh or eighth game coming down the way I could justify the purchase of, and hell, I've already about two so far this year.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It's nice to see Nintendo putting Monolith to very good use, and not just leaving them in a corner to rust.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Argh, FFXII clothing design. "Hey, let's add concentric plastic circles!"

Delzhand on