As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Un[chat]ed 2 was GOTY material? Meh...

• Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    syndalis wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    I am totally getting an iPad, now that I have thought about it for a few days.

I can put all my game books away for good and rely on PDFs on a smallish mobile device that are legible and in color. YAY!

Also, remote desktop client, 1024x768. Sexy.

Yeah! You also can't listen to your music while you read your game books!

Or install the software you want to install!

Or browse the web freely because there's no flash!

Save your fucking money and get a netbook.
    umm, you totally CAN listen to your music, just can;t stream pandora. Unless you are using an RDC like I plan to, in which case I can do everything and anything I want on a super light super thin slate, including multitasking while browsing and using flash on my webpages.

Ha. Ha. Ha.

Who fed you that bullshit? It's pretty well known at this point that the iPad doesn't support flash and you can only do one task at a time.
    Well, he would be able to do all those things with RDC.

Bama on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2010
    Bogart wrote: »
    Please to help me with my rucksack?
    It was the Dukes!

Will ya be gettin' off at ta city of brotherly love?

does this involve me

Organichu on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Tonight will be the first night since Tuesday I will not be drinking. Also last night I burnt my left nostril, skinned my right shin badly and lost my voice.

I am looking forward to some good old sobriety.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Res wrote: »
    Also, Mass Effect is just fuckawesome. I'm probably half way through (I'm on illium, and I'll leave it at that) and I've already started a new game as an adept after seeing what they can do

Adept is pretty awesome.

Protip: Shockwave will travel under cover and barriers.

I've got Jack on my team and I learned that early on.

Also, can someone spoiler for me all the possible love interests? I'm a female shephard.
    Jacob, Thane, Kelly, Garrus, Morinth

I think that's it.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    iPad lacks an e-ink screen right?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Tonight will be the first night since Tuesday I will not be drinking. Also last night I burnt my left nostril, skinned my right shin badly and lost my voice.

That's an interesting combination of injuries. How'd the burnt nostril happen?

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I find those kind of relationships weird (Russian mail-order brides etc).

Like, the guy is unattractive and pathetic, but the woman is someone who'll fuck for a visa.

I think I have more sympathy for the guy, actually.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Right, it's just LCD.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The i-pad seems to fill the 'something that's not a big ass laptop, but allows you to browse the web/read documents/watch films on a reasonable size screen anywhere.' Which strikes me as a fairly large niche. I imagine we'll see the concept get popularised in the immediate future.

Leitner on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited February 2010
    An old girlfriend of mine is in town for the week and we were catching up yesterday. Her father works at a nuclear power plant in Illinois and I guess there's a bit of a hiring crisis going on as all the nuclear engineer dudes are pushing retirement age and there aren't enough replacements, so they've been doing a lot of outreach to get more women to enroll in nuclear engineering programs.

So I guess her dad was taking a gaggle of female students on a tour of the plant a couple weeks ago and he said something to the effect of how they probably have their pick of the boys at the engineering college. One girl piped up from the back and said, "yeah, the odds are good, but the goods are odd."

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The Russian talk has reminded me of a question I had. What are the practical effects of the US not having an official language? Could a Russian immigrant demand the name on his ID be printed in cyrillic, or something?

Bama on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Leitner wrote: »
    The i-pad seems to fill the 'something that's not a big ass laptop, but allows you to browse the web/read documents/watch films on a reasonable size screen anywhere.' Which strikes me as a fairly large niche. I imagine we'll see the concept get popularised inthe immediate future.

O_o

I don't know about Europe but last time I checked this was already a popular concept in the States.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2010

We were doing flaming doctor peppers. You take a shot that's most amaretto (sp?) with 151 on top at light it on fire and drop it into some light beer. Then you drink it and it tastes just like a doctor pepper. So, you know, being the genius that I am I volunteered to try the first one. They didn't put enough beer in the cup, and the cup was plastic, so when they dropped in the shot (and the flame is decently hard to see) and I went to drink it (the drink foams up fast so you should drink it quickly) the side of the cup caught on fire and I inhaled while I was drinking and fire right up the nose. Alcohol doesn't really burn that hot though so my nose is fine but man, it was a little scary.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So one time I was drinking with these two Russian guys and the one who was in my class said something in Russian that sounded like a toast, we all drank, then he translated it for me: "Life is hell."

Ever since then I've wished I could remember how to say "life is hell" in Russian as my all-purpose toast.

desc on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    wait i'm a male shepard

whose face can i fuck

Organichu on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    How can you have trouble with sv?

that's like having trouble with the letter b or something

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited February 2010
    iPad is dumb. Being an early adopter is silly. I am utterly baffled by the device, it is trying to fill a niche I do not believe actually exists.

It's a big iTouch with strong media capabilities, browse capabilities, eBook infrastructure, an OS that centers on the multitouch experience, and enough power and real estate to give a good space for new developments.

Honestly, tablets haven't really been tried in earnest before. The only tablets I've seen have ran on a shoehorned Windows OS where everything is really centered around keyboard and mouse and the touchscreen just feels like a tedious barrier to use.

I'm curious to see where it will go. Like I said, by the looks of it, the iPad is a much better hardware solution to the way that Frankie uses a computer than her MacBook or her iTouch are.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The i-pad seems to fill the 'something that's not a big ass laptop, but allows you to browse the web/read documents/watch films on a reasonable size screen anywhere.' Which strikes me as a fairly large niche. I imagine we'll see the concept get popularised in the immediate future.

It looks pretty awkward to tote around and use. Half of the shots I've seen of it in use have the dude using it sitting sideways on the couch holding the device in his lap. This is not a practical way to use a device out of your home, at all.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    desc wrote: »
    So one time I was drinking with these two Russian guys and the one who was in my class said something in Russian that sounded like a toast, we all drank, then he translated it for me: "Life is hell."

Ever since then I've wished I could remember how to say "life is hell" in Russian as my all-purpose toast.

Why would you say it in Russian, though?

Why not just say it in English?

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    wait i'm a male shepard

whose face can i fuck
    All I know is there's no crouch key so you can't teabag dead mercs.

Bama on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The i-pad seems to fill the 'something that's not a big ass laptop, but allows you to browse the web/read documents/watch films on a reasonable size screen anywhere.' Which strikes me as a fairly large niche. I imagine we'll see the concept get popularised inthe immediate future.

O_o

I don't know about Europe but last time I checked this was already a popular concept in the States.

Everytime people use 'europe' like an all fufilling culture I frown so hard.

But anywhere, yeah they do, this seems to be taking that to its logical conclusion.

It looks pretty awkward to tote around and use. Half of the shots I've seen of it in use have the dude using it sitting sideways on the couch holding the device in his lap. This is not a practical way to use a device out of your home, at all.

Well not just out of the house. A laptop I could really easily shift to the living room, or kitchen would be rather nice.

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    wait i'm a male shepard

whose face can i fuck
    Miranda, Jack, Tali, Kelly, Morinth

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Americans should not be allowed to say the word "europe"

they never use it right

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Watching the iPad demonstration video, got to the bit where it's a "dream to type on"... wouldn't you have to type one handed on that thing or like, lay it down flat on a table? It sounds...awkward.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So far I have accomplished very little today.

This is not good given I'm taking Thurs afternoon through to Saturday off for family obligations.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »

they never use it right
    Way to break out of the "condescending European" stereotype.

Bama on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Indeed, so the marketing it as an ebook reader is utter bullshit.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited February 2010

We were doing flaming doctor peppers. You take a shot that's most amaretto (sp?) with 151 on top at light it on fire and drop it into some light beer. Then you drink it and it tastes just like a doctor pepper. So, you know, being the genius that I am I volunteered to try the first one. They didn't put enough beer in the cup, and the cup was plastic, so when they dropped in the shot (and the flame is decently hard to see) and I went to drink it (the drink foams up fast so you should drink it quickly) the side of the cup caught on fire and I inhaled while I was drinking and fire right up the nose. Alcohol doesn't really burn that hot though so my nose is fine but man, it was a little scary.

Oddly, I have seen this exact thing happen before.

We were using like a medicine cup - like the kind of thing that comes on top of a nyquil bottle. And the 151 was so light that the whole thing just floated on top of the beer.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Watching the iPad demonstration video, got to the bit where it's a "dream to type on"... wouldn't you have to type one handed on that thing or like, lay it down flat on a table? It sounds...awkward.
    Apple has another product in the works, the iThumbs, so you can hold it with both hands and type with your thumbs.

It's all in the marketing, man.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited February 2010
    poshniallo wrote: »
    I find those kind of relationships weird (Russian mail-order brides etc).

Like, the guy is unattractive and pathetic, but the woman is someone who'll fuck for a visa.

I think I have more sympathy for the guy, actually.

Eh...when you get time you should definitely take a look at this Harpers article:
    When the group had set out from JFK Airport the day before, it had not seemed like an especially friendly bunch. The first member I met, when I said it was nice to meet him, had shot me a challenging look and countered, “How do you know? I could be an axe murderer.” Fat-faced and bearded, he turned out to be a plaintiff's lawyer with a fondness for describing his clients' injuries in graphic, breathy detail (e.g., “The cops tasered a kid till they burnt the hair off his face”). Other attempts at small talk likewise fell flat until, finally, a few of the tour veterans—or “repeat offenders,” as one jokingly called himself—began to dispense advice. Some had been on as many as five of these trips before; at least two had brought home fiancées in the past, though they hadn't actually married. They promised that we, too, would surely become repeat offenders once we saw what was in store. “Remember,” said one silver-haired gent in a well-cut suit and polo shirt, “they've only been liberated for ten years. They're going through a social and sexual revolution like we went through in the 1970s.”

Dan the Man nodded contentedly. “You see? I'm telling you, the camaraderie always ends up being a big part of this—I've had guys make half-million-dollar business deals on these trips,” he said. “Now, take everything you know about dating and throw it away. After a few days, you guys are going to become like American women! A woman you would have killed to have lunch with back in the U.S., she'll be wanting to go out with you, but you'll start noticing little faults—her ankles are too big, you don't like the shape of her earlobes. And you will throw her back, because you have so many choices.”

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    iPad is dumb. Being an early adopter is silly. I am utterly baffled by the device, it is trying to fill a niche I do not believe actually exists.

Citrix says with XenDesktop or XenApp it'll run Windows 7, which makes it a little bit cooler in my book, but you'll still need a private server and probably wifi to make it work

The niche is the same as the blackberries/netbooks/iphones niche....the problem is that at it's price point I just don't think the ipad is competitive. Luckily for apple people don't seem to mind paying a lot for their brand name.

Dman on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

they never use it right
    How is it used wrong?

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Bama wrote: »

they never use it right

well they never fucking do!

you can't say "in europe they have x" like "in the us we have y"

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Oddly, I have seen this exact thing happen before.

We were using like a medicine cup - like the kind of thing that comes on top of a nyquil bottle. And the 151 was so light that the whole thing just floated on top of the beer.

Haha oh man must have sucked for the guy doing that if he didn't realize it wasn't sinking before he tossed the drink back.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Bama wrote: »

they never use it right

well they never fucking do!

you can't say "in europe they have x" like "in the us we have y"
    Why can't you? Especially now with the EU, you're all just a bunch of member states.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »

It's a big iTouch with strong media capabilities, browse capabilities, eBook infrastructure, an OS that centers on the multitouch experience, and enough power and real estate to give a good space for new developments.

Honestly, tablets haven't really been tried in earnest before. The only tablets I've seen have ran on a shoehorned Windows OS where everything is really centered around keyboard and mouse and the touchscreen just feels like a tedious barrier to use.

I'm curious to see where it will go. Like I said, by the looks of it, the iPad is a much better hardware solution to the way that Frankie uses a computer than her MacBook or her iTouch are.

It is not a terrible idea.

I just want it to play WoW.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    wait i'm a male shepard

whose face can i fuck
    Miranda, Jack, Tali, Kelly, Morinth

oh my god

oh my god
    i can fuck jack?

OH MY GOD

my dreams have come true

hateful, angry, murderous, levitating sex

Organichu on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    desc wrote: »

Why would you say it in Russian, though?

Why not just say it in English?

Why not say it in Russian? The time delay and sensation of 'not understanding that phrase' and then 'oh now I understand it' in everyone else who is drinking is where the humor occurs. Me saying "life is hell!" as we're downing a shot makes the humor overly simple.

desc on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

they never use it right

No; we do use it right. We are pretty much the only ones who do.

For some reason all Europeans seem to think that their little country or region is exempt from being part of "Europe".

It's a continent. Everything west of the Urals until you land in the Atlantic proper. You don't get an exception for being kinda far north or an island with a tiny channel between you and the mainland.

Sheesh.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think I've decided that I don't like Blackberries. Probably going to switch back to my SLVR.

TL DR on
This discussion has been closed.