As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Un[chat]ed 2 was GOTY material? Meh...

15758596062

Posts

  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    anyway, let's talk about how the EU is becoming the third soviet union with the Data Retention Directive

    EDIT: Irond Will that is not how it works at all. Of course we're part of europe, but you can't really use "europe" as a group and area most of the time

    eastern europe, central europe, the british isles, scandinavia are all very different from each other in alot of ways

    EDIT EDIT: Inquisitor, fascism isn't extreme right in economy, it has "third way" economy. Golden middle ground, basically. Government-run capitalism. On the axis we could call anarchy-authority it's very much to the right, of course

    Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    it's not just americans who are that ignorant

    the entire world is stupid

    Organichu on
  • DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dman wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Bama wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Americans should not be allowed to say the word "europe"

    they never use it right
    Way to break out of the "condescending European" stereotype.

    well they never fucking do!

    you can't say "in europe they have x" like "in the us we have y"
    Why can't you? Especially now with the EU, you're all just a bunch of member states.

    the EU means polacks can work here freely and that there are limits to how one can fuck with the market. That's pretty much it.

    Europe is not a homogenized entity at all. The EU doesn't change that. That seems to be another american misconception, that the EU resembles a United States of Europe. It really doesn't.
    Besides, Norway isn't part of the EU proper.

    Everyone has to bare their crosses.
    New Zealand/australia
    Canada/US
    Norway/the rest of europe
    :P
    :winky:

    Haaaaaaave you med Freud?
    What can I say? :winky:

    Dman on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Bama wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Americans should not be allowed to say the word "europe"

    they never use it right
    Way to break out of the "condescending European" stereotype.

    well they never fucking do!

    you can't say "in europe they have x" like "in the us we have y"
    Why can't you? Especially now with the EU, you're all just a bunch of member states.

    Try saying that Portugal has the same stuff as Estonia.

    I'm not really suggesting that Europe has a unified culture or anything, but honestly the lengths that European countries will go to in order to try to except themselves from identity as "European" is just silly. The English - well, all of the British really - claim they are not European because they are an island and they kept their currency. Scandinavia considers themselves their own "thing" (but also like to exclude Finland kind of). The Spanish of course are too far west to be European and the same with the Portuguese. Eastern Europe, of course, is too young to really be part of "European" culture because of their isolation during the cold war and status as second-world countries.

    Basically, all of Europe seems to see "Europe" as "Germany and maybe France".
    They bitch and moan for 10 years that they have to change currencies every time they cross a border and show passports all the time. Then they get a unified currency and can pretty much freely cross borders like Americans can cross states, and they bitch and moan that everyone lumps them all together.

    So basically, Europeans.

    matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Fighting The Rising Odds Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Basically, all of Europe seems to see "Europe" as "Germany and maybe France".

    Belgium too.

    Jacob, that article is already depressing me.

    Bogart on
  • ResRes __BANNED USERS
    edited February 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    it's not just americans who are that ignorant

    the entire world is stupid

    I think this is something we can all agree on.

    Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Res wrote: »
    Oh, that one.

    I don't like that ruling, but I can't disagree with it. I mean I don't know of anything in the constitution that should make it illegal.

    Using a document that is written hundred of years ago before industrialization ever occurred seems to me to be a poor reference document to determine how our laws should interact with multinational corporations.

    Inquisitor on
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    anyway, let's talk about how the EU is becoming the third soviet union with the Data Retention Directive

    Third soviet union...

    Ok, the first soviet union was the soviet union.
    The second was...

    _J_ on
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    poshniallo wrote: »
    I find those kind of relationships weird (Russian mail-order brides etc).

    Like, the guy is unattractive and pathetic, but the woman is someone who'll fuck for a visa.

    I think I have more sympathy for the guy, actually.

    Eh...when you get time you should definitely take a look at this Harpers article:
    When the group had set out from JFK Airport the day before, it had not seemed like an especially friendly bunch. The first member I met, when I said it was nice to meet him, had shot me a challenging look and countered, “How do you know? I could be an axe murderer.” Fat-faced and bearded, he turned out to be a plaintiff's lawyer with a fondness for describing his clients' injuries in graphic, breathy detail (e.g., “The cops tasered a kid till they burnt the hair off his face”). Other attempts at small talk likewise fell flat until, finally, a few of the tour veterans—or “repeat offenders,” as one jokingly called himself—began to dispense advice. Some had been on as many as five of these trips before; at least two had brought home fiancées in the past, though they hadn't actually married. They promised that we, too, would surely become repeat offenders once we saw what was in store. “Remember,” said one silver-haired gent in a well-cut suit and polo shirt, “they've only been liberated for ten years. They're going through a social and sexual revolution like we went through in the 1970s.”

    .....

    Dan the Man nodded contentedly. “You see? I'm telling you, the camaraderie always ends up being a big part of this—I've had guys make half-million-dollar business deals on these trips,” he said. “Now, take everything you know about dating and throw it away. After a few days, you guys are going to become like American women! A woman you would have killed to have lunch with back in the U.S., she'll be wanting to go out with you, but you'll start noticing little faults—her ankles are too big, you don't like the shape of her earlobes. And you will throw her back, because you have so many choices.”

    Yup, the men are pathetic and sexist and revolting. I wouldn't fuck 'em.

    I wish there was more about the women, though.

    It's all fucked up and quite sad, really.

    I just feel the brides know what's going on there more clearly than the grooms. They're less deluded, which is why I feel less sorry for them.

    poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Europe is not a homogenized entity at all. The EU doesn't change that. That seems to be another american misconception, that the EU resembles a United States of Europe. It really doesn't.

    To be fair, that misconception is also becoming frequent within EU countries as well. The number of times on the run up to the second Lisbon treaty vote in Ireland i was told that "We're not the same as the Germans, why should be let the EU make us all the same!" was beyond silly.

    HerrCron on
    sig.gif
  • DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    anyway, let's talk about how the EU is becoming the third soviet union with the Data Retention Directive

    The soviet union had a lot of data retention?

    Dman on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Res wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    it's not just americans who are that ignorant

    the entire world is stupid

    I think this is something we can all agree on.
    This is why the great leaders of the past have usually killed large numbers of people for seemingly no reason.

    matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Res wrote: »
    Oh, that one.

    I don't like that ruling, but I can't disagree with it. I mean I don't know of anything in the constitution that should make it illegal.

    Using a document that is written hundred of years ago before industrialization ever occurred seems to me to be a poor reference document to determine how our laws should interact with multinational corporations.

    what the fuck

    fuck

    Organichu on
  • ResRes __BANNED USERS
    edited February 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Res wrote: »
    Oh, that one.

    I don't like that ruling, but I can't disagree with it. I mean I don't know of anything in the constitution that should make it illegal.

    Using a document that is written hundred of years ago before industrialization ever occurred seems to me to be a poor reference document to determine how our laws should interact with multinational corporations.

    Yeah, well, that's what the Supreme Court's job is. Judicial review does not include pulling entirely new amendments out of their asses.

    Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited February 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    arch the person you're arguing with is correct

    :x

    question for [chat]

    What, exactly, IS fascism?

    to my understanding it is the opposite of the free market, I.E. the government directly controls the economy and other aspects from a small central location.

    Am I wrong?

    Yes you are wrong. What you are thinking about is either socialism (where the government directly controls the means of production), communism or totalitarianism.

    Fascism doesn't have a pat definition. It is generally though of as somewhat totalitarian, culturally right-wing, nationalist. It meshes well with a free-ish market. Mussolini described fascism as (I am paraphrasing) the unification of the government and corporations.

    Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Res wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Res wrote: »
    Oh, that one.

    I don't like that ruling, but I can't disagree with it. I mean I don't know of anything in the constitution that should make it illegal.

    Using a document that is written hundred of years ago before industrialization ever occurred seems to me to be a poor reference document to determine how our laws should interact with multinational corporations.

    Yeah, well, that's what the Supreme Court's job is. Judicial review does not include pulling entirely new amendments out of their asses.

    And thus, we can disagree with their interpretation.

    Arch on
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Res wrote: »
    Oh, that one.

    I don't like that ruling, but I can't disagree with it. I mean I don't know of anything in the constitution that should make it illegal.

    Using a document that is written hundred of years ago before industrialization ever occurred seems to me to be a poor reference document to determine how our laws should interact with multinational corporations.

    what the fuck

    fuck

    WOW.

    That's amazing dumbness.

    _J_ on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    arch the person you're arguing with is correct

    :x

    question for [chat]

    What, exactly, IS fascism?

    to my understanding it is the opposite of the free market, I.E. the government directly controls the economy and other aspects from a small central location.

    Am I wrong?

    Yes you are wrong. What you are thinking about is either socialism (where the government directly controls the means of production), communism or totalitarianism.

    Fascism doesn't have a pat definition. It is generally though of as somewhat totalitarian, culturally right-wing, nationalist. It meshes well with a free-ish market. Mussolini described fascism as (I am paraphrasing) the unification of the government and corporations.

    Ok so then, this ruling is actually closer to fascism IF you support it!

    Arch on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Res wrote: »
    Yeah, well, that's what the Supreme Court's job is. Judicial review does not include pulling entirely new amendments out of their asses.

    Nah, depends if what kind of judge you are, actually. Historically we have had judges that have done just that, but we've also had judges that use the constitution as their basis for everything.

    Organ: What?

    Inquisitor on
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Second soviet union being the US of course

    you have us beat with the USA PATRIOT act and the like

    but we're getting there!

    EDIT: The US might actually be approaching actual fascism with this. Try to ignore all the horrendous connotations that word has.

    Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • ResRes __BANNED USERS
    edited February 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    Res wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Res wrote: »
    Oh, that one.

    I don't like that ruling, but I can't disagree with it. I mean I don't know of anything in the constitution that should make it illegal.

    Using a document that is written hundred of years ago before industrialization ever occurred seems to me to be a poor reference document to determine how our laws should interact with multinational corporations.

    Yeah, well, that's what the Supreme Court's job is. Judicial review does not include pulling entirely new amendments out of their asses.

    And thus, we can disagree with their interpretation.

    I... I guess you can, if you don't know how to read or something.

    Or if you know something about the constitution that I don't.

    Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Cap his ass Chu, he's after your guns.

    Leitner on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Res wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    Res wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Res wrote: »
    Oh, that one.

    I don't like that ruling, but I can't disagree with it. I mean I don't know of anything in the constitution that should make it illegal.

    Using a document that is written hundred of years ago before industrialization ever occurred seems to me to be a poor reference document to determine how our laws should interact with multinational corporations.

    Yeah, well, that's what the Supreme Court's job is. Judicial review does not include pulling entirely new amendments out of their asses.

    And thus, we can disagree with their interpretation.

    I... I guess you can, if you don't know how to read or something.

    Or if you know something about the constitution that I don't.

    Um, not to be a jerk or anything, but where in the Constitution does it say "Multi national corporations should be treated as one individual?"

    Arch on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So I'm being chewed out right now by an old high school fling. She's pissed that by dating a younger woman I'm reducing the dating pool of eligible men for women in our age group. And pointing out that she's fulfilling a stereotype has not made her any happier.

    Thomamelas on
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    Um, not to be a jerk or anything, but where in the Constitution does it say "Multi national corporations should be treated as one individual?"

    Towards the end.

    _J_ on
  • OrganichuOrganichu jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    inq i don't even know what to say to that

    you just... we should just wing it, i guess?

    i don't even know what the fuck to say

    you enjoying your freedom of speech?

    freedom from illegal searches and seizures?

    freedom from cruel and unusual punishments?

    i just

    goddamnit

    Organichu on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    Res wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    Res wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Res wrote: »
    Oh, that one.

    I don't like that ruling, but I can't disagree with it. I mean I don't know of anything in the constitution that should make it illegal.

    Using a document that is written hundred of years ago before industrialization ever occurred seems to me to be a poor reference document to determine how our laws should interact with multinational corporations.

    Yeah, well, that's what the Supreme Court's job is. Judicial review does not include pulling entirely new amendments out of their asses.

    And thus, we can disagree with their interpretation.

    I... I guess you can, if you don't know how to read or something.

    Or if you know something about the constitution that I don't.

    Um, not to be a jerk or anything, but where in the Constitution does it say "Multi national corporations should be treated as one individual?"

    Yeah, just because the constitution doesn't say they shouldn't do this doesn't mean it isn't a bad idea.

    RMS Oceanic on
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    So I'm being chewed out right now by an old high school fling. She's pissed that by dating a younger woman I'm reducing the dating pool of eligible men for women in our age group. And pointing out that she's fulfilling a stereotype has not made her any happier.
    Tell her to find a younger man.

    Bama on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    _J_ wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    Um, not to be a jerk or anything, but where in the Constitution does it say "Multi national corporations should be treated as one individual?"

    Towards the end.

    Y'know, for a second you making a joke threw me, and so I looked up the constitution and read the parts at the end

    Arch on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    inq i don't even know what to say to that

    you just... we should just wing it, i guess?

    i don't even know what the fuck to say

    you enjoying your freedom of speech?

    freedom from illegal searches and seizures?

    freedom from cruel and unusual punishments?

    i just

    goddamnit

    What did any of those things you just said have to do with corporations how how they interact with the constitution Organ? Please try to stick to the topic at hand. :P

    Inquisitor on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited February 2010
    Bogart wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Basically, all of Europe seems to see "Europe" as "Germany and maybe France".

    Belgium too.

    Jacob, that article is already depressing me.

    I know, right? I was like D: for a day after reading it. It almost feels like parody.

    Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Bama wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    So I'm being chewed out right now by an old high school fling. She's pissed that by dating a younger woman I'm reducing the dating pool of eligible men for women in our age group. And pointing out that she's fulfilling a stereotype has not made her any happier.
    Tell her to find a younger man.

    I suggested that. Apparently younger men aren't interested in relationships. I thought going cougar was the thing to do for women.

    Thomamelas on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    inq i don't even know what to say to that

    you just... we should just wing it, i guess?

    i don't even know what the fuck to say

    you enjoying your freedom of speech?

    freedom from illegal searches and seizures?

    freedom from cruel and unusual punishments?

    i just

    goddamnit

    Agreeing on the core principles and following the document to the letter even when it would act to undermine those principles are not the same.

    TL DR on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    inq i don't even know what to say to that

    you just... we should just wing it, i guess?

    i don't even know what the fuck to say

    you enjoying your freedom of speech?

    freedom from illegal searches and seizures?

    freedom from cruel and unusual punishments?

    i just

    goddamnit

    more like

    the constitution is a skeleton that we base our government on. much like how the finger bones in mammals can be reworked to make flippers and wings, so too with the constitution.

    Same basics, different skin stretched on it as things change and new interpretations are necessary.

    Arch on
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah Organ what? freedom of speech and such were issues when the constitution was written, corporations being people was not

    Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Also Will, I am about to go to lunch with the fiancee, but is what I said 'correct' inasmuch as I am using it for humorous effect re: fascism?

    Arch on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Picked up ME 2 over the weekend because I'm weak. Apparently according to scholar irond will I'm a homosexual now.

    Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited February 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    arch the person you're arguing with is correct

    :x

    question for [chat]

    What, exactly, IS fascism?

    to my understanding it is the opposite of the free market, I.E. the government directly controls the economy and other aspects from a small central location.

    Am I wrong?

    Yes you are wrong. What you are thinking about is either socialism (where the government directly controls the means of production), communism or totalitarianism.

    Fascism doesn't have a pat definition. It is generally though of as somewhat totalitarian, culturally right-wing, nationalist. It meshes well with a free-ish market. Mussolini described fascism as (I am paraphrasing) the unification of the government and corporations.

    Ok so then, this ruling is actually closer to fascism IF you support it!

    yes it is.

    Right wing Americans like to howl about how the gummint is going to send its jack-booted thugs against their freedom-loving masses and subvert their precious free market, and in their beloved Nazi analogies, they are always the Jews trembling in basements.

    But then you look at the rise of fascism in Italy and Germany, and it was the right-wing cultural populists, the well-armed, and the wealthy corporate interests that brought the fascists to power and joined in.

    Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited February 2010
    poshniallo wrote: »
    Yup, the men are pathetic and sexist and revolting. I wouldn't fuck 'em.

    I wish there was more about the women, though.

    It's all fucked up and quite sad, really.

    I just feel the brides know what's going on there more clearly than the grooms. They're less deluded, which is why I feel less sorry for them.

    Well, they're doing something unpleasant to get out of poverty and starvation. I mean, when you look at the stuff people do to come to the West - drug dealing or hijacking or murder or whatever - I figure getting faux-married to some sad specimen of a guy isn't too terrible.

    Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • OrganichuOrganichu jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    inq i don't even know what to say to that

    you just... we should just wing it, i guess?

    i don't even know what the fuck to say

    you enjoying your freedom of speech?

    freedom from illegal searches and seizures?

    freedom from cruel and unusual punishments?

    i just

    goddamnit

    What did any of those things you just said have to do with corporations how how they interact with the constitution Organ? Please try to stick to the topic at hand. :P

    are you joking?

    Organichu on
This discussion has been closed.