Options

[Let's Play] Civilization 4: Domination Victory!

• Options
    NewresNewres Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    By scripted, he means Dyscord. Congrats on your promotion, Dyscord.

Also: Shaka is demanding Guilds. Give it up, or tell him to fuck off?

Nope, we are in the middle of a millitary buildup anyways. We can blitz France, grab a couple of juicy cities and if he tries to take advantage of the situation I am pretty sure we can make peace with France and rush to the other front. Just make sure you have the cities which Shaka would most likely attack well defended. And check when he is looking for a war target.

Newres on
    960751-1.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My God, Brennus doesn't hate us (Pleased even, got an event).

mrt144, since you're here:

He'll trade Literature, Compass, Theology.

We can offer Civil Service, Guilds, Philosophy, and Paper.

Anything you want to try?

Also can get crabs for Sugar. We're a little light on healthiness.

Also: Shaka has Iron. And SEVENTEEN cities. Fucking Ikhanda.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    We shall decide next update. Our power margin with Louis is a full 2.0 and there is a good sized stack of doom sitting near him. So things are prepared!

Update coming when I sort everything out.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Update 8: A Gathering Storm (Not Gay People)
    2w2n4ns.jpg

The Government has been reformed! Merchants, Artists, and Scientists will now select Governors! Governors will select the Cabinet. The people sort of have a say! There is a middle class! My life is difficult!

24ffql4.jpg

We sell Rice to the Maya. Yay income!

24p9d87.jpg

A Master Blacksmith appears in Silver Snakes. He gives us +1 Hammer as long as the Forge there isn't destroyed. Sweet!

289dlqs.jpg
    2d9vg5g.jpg

mrt144's plan to produce a Priest is a success. He quickly makes the Taoist holy building, inserting a market/grocer into the build queue of Pi-Dongbury.

xmvl93.jpg
    2gy0vfr.jpg
    2rp7jph.jpg
    2ijrq79.jpg
    2nrilc5.jpg

Now is the part of Sprockets when we build wonders. Lots and lots of Wonders. Many of which we will be appropriating momentarily. Also note: Shaka switched to Free Religion, so he built Shwedagon Paya.

1z6887.jpg

We've reached the Renaissance! No longer shall we be dominated by the religious! Ideas spring forth from our citizens.

Alchemist is now known as the Inventor. Priests cannot be the Inventor. Engineers are now eligible for the position.

20jsp03.jpg

We entered the Renaissance by researching Education. Universities are now available to build. Also Castles from Engineering, but those are less exciting. I did insert one in Wangian's build queue though as it is surrounded by Zulus.

11vtuvo.jpg

We got another Great Prophet, somewhat unfortunately. WotanAnubis, this one is you! Should note that the Islamic shrine is not built and we are likely to come into possession of it soon enough. But you can do whatever with it. Lightbulb is Theology or Divine Right if we get Theology in a trade. Also of note: we are very, very powerful. And Shaka is building a fucking ton of cities. He's going to be a serious problem soon.

The AIs REALLY like Astronomy. Shaka started Gunpowder after finishing paper.

vr59bd.jpg

Oh, and he's friendly with two AIs, because we totally need that.

25aj78z.jpg

Brennus likes us! We can trade with him.

2yyth0p.jpg

The current tech tree, there's also Compass and Optics back on the left. We could probably jump all the way to Rifles strangely soon if we wanted. Enough of those would make Shaka way, way easier.

ji0412.jpg

We've got the second largest religion in the world. Also: pretty sure the other continent/islands/whatever don't have any religion at all. Interesting!

I didn't take a shot, but we have a fairly serious Stack of Doom in one of our cities. You'll see it when the governor posts the shot. And we have twice France's power. So we should probably crush them.

Officially:

Declare War on France?

Assuming that passes: here are the French cities in a spoiler. We need a BATTLE PLAN from Grand Marshal Hippie, and a Keep/Raze vote on some of them. Others we are keeping no matter what for various reasons, which I will note when discussing them.
    3329oc4.jpg

Rouen is built literally directly on the road from East Schlongville to Wangian. Every square in its BFC is a grassland or commerce-y resource. We're keeping it so Shaka doesn't have a city that can cut off Wangian.

k9z31j.jpg

Avignon is meh, but is the Islamic holy city. And so it should pay for itself (especially if WotanAnubis keeps that Priest around).

10r2vjb.jpg

Chartres will eventually be useful. Can probably backfill it later though. What say you, Egypt?

24fk57k.jpg

I don't like where Marseilles is, but it has the Sistine Chapel. Hmph.

259ljkx.jpg

Orleans is pretty nice AND has the Hagia Sophia. Keeping it.

2v0j060.jpg

Christian holy city, shrine built, has hills and iron, should be a decent production city, especially if there's some seafood to feed it.

2ret83n.jpg

Duh, keeping it. (Two Marble! And they're industrious! Crazy)

2qicie0.jpg

Why does the AI waste gold squares like this? Why? I hate this city, but Brennus is going to rebuild it. What say you?

2uqdceb.jpg

Tours is pretty meh. I have no opinion about Tours. You guys choose.

Bum's recommended battle plan: Drive through Tours to Paris and Rheims, crippling the French. Then mop up.

Plan for the French Rump Vote

1) Genocide
    2) Peace, keep them independent
    3) Peace, Vassalize them after acquisition of priority war aims (Paris, Rheims, Orleans, Marseilles)

Finally:

We need to re-structure our governance. I would like to make states for our governors with two or three cities in each one. This will streamline things, create better unity, and more importantly, lessen the hassle of running this thing (if we keep all the French cities that would be 21 Governors). Each new state would have one governor and one representative, to be voted on by the members of all cities within the state. Arcadia would remain independent.

Sub-proposition - If Aye wins (even if you vote nay, vote on this) should each state hold
    a) two cities
    b) three cities
    c) a geographically appropriate number of cities

If this motion passes, I'll draw something up after we conquer France.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    By scripted, he means Dyscord. Congrats on your promotion, Dyscord.

Also: Shaka is demanding Guilds. Give it up, or tell him to fuck off?

What's our power relative to Shaka anyway? Cause I severely want to "share" the knowledge of Guilds with him after we're done "sharing" the knowledge of Guilds with France.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

What can we get for Paper straight up?

Let's do Sugar for Crabs.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Holy crap Louis!

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    mrt144 wrote: »

Literature, Compass, his map, 10 gold (that's all he's got).

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    mrt144 wrote: »

Literature, Compass, his map, 10 gold (that's all he's got).

Let's do it.

I suggest that we wait until Paris is ours before we shrine the Great Prophet.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Wow. I am now excited for the WAR! And I very much approve of forming states of three cities. I hope the representative of Pinto Agrees with me.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Post map acquisition:

The Zulu city sites suck. They're all going to be put to the torch.

Also, now available:

National Epic (either Pi-Dongbury or Paris's wonders)
    Heroic Epic
    Forbidden Palace

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    RG will have to weigh in with the official Dickerdale vote, but my two cents:

If it's viable, we should exterminate the French completely. I say keep all cities except Chartres (we can rebuild it later, if we really want to) and Lyon (throw Brennus a bone, as he's the only one on the continent that actually likes us)

As for the governmental restructuring, I'm in favor of it, leaning towards option C. This imperial governance thing is hard work!

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    The Littlest IonThe Littlest Ion Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    In regards to the French, I say option A: Genocide. The less enemies to deal with, the better.

On condensing the government and making actual states, I vote for option B. If we keep every French city, as you stated, we would have 21 cities; 7 governors sounds like a fair number for our empire.

For our tech tree, I think that after Replaceable Parts, we should go for Rifling; it will make warfare so much easier. So:

Printing Press -> Replaceable Parts -> Rifling -> Music -> Military Tradition

If you guys think it is necessary, we can throw Banking in between Rifling and Music. You know, to help stabilize the economy after/during our upcoming war and such.

Liberalism can wait for now. We aren't in any big threat anytime soon of losing it; the other civs that we know don't even have Philosophy yet, and in order to research Liberalism you require Philosophy.

The Littlest Ion on
    IonJr.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Since I can see what they're researching: want to give me the right to just insert Liberalism wherever?

And yeah, Banking is 3/4 turns at the moment, so I may just grab it at some point.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Keep all French cities.

Chop/build Forbidden Palace or Versailles in Paris asap to maximize its benefit and decrease our maintenance dramatically. If we can build Versailles that means we can hold of on build the FP until later and possibly put it much further south on the continent once we have spread.

We need to trade for Compass/Optics asap and build a couple caravels to go exploring. Given how large our empire is it behooves us to have more of the map explored by this point. (remember caravels ignore borders, arent ocean faring, but can still uncover a lot of the map for us)

We don't need to rush for Astronomy like the AI's are, instead go for Military Tradition. Research Nationalism and work on building the Taj Mahal. Then go for Liberalism, use the free tech for Military Tradition, golden age from the Taj will allow us to crank down the slider to make more money and upgrade all our mounted units to curaissers, which destroy longbowmen/macemen/pikemen once trebs knock down the culture, not to mention being great defensive units. Then click on Rifling and let it backfill all the techs we need for that. Riflemen/Cavalry will pretty much ensure we can conquer the rest of the entire continent in short order.

All of the AI's are wasting a large number of turns racing for Astronomy in order to make contact with the other continents. We need to take advantage of that by pushing hardcore for Curaissers/Cavalry in order to wipe them all out while we have a distinct military tech advantage.

It might even be worthwhile to simply DoW Pacal, take a city or two and see if he capitulates, then give him back those two cities. He'll never be able to manage the 50% mark in population to break free. Same goes for Brennus. Yeah, we're buddy buddy now, but we can be buddy, buddy with him under our thumb as well. Plus as vassals they partially contribute to our domination threshold while not bleeding our coffers dry with more city maintenance.

Edit: Governance - I propose we do like the Romans did. Western, core, Eastern. Reps from each city in those three regions decide which rep will govern that province, and the province governor will collect build orders for their cities and funnel it to the head honcho.

travathian on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Or we could dominate slightly more slowly and I get to show the entire game.

I NEVER nuke people, but I think we need to nuke people.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Even if we take the whole continent I don't think we'll be near the threshold for a Domination victory. Big and Small large map has a crapload of usable space and we havent even see the other continent yet. Pull up the victory page and see what % we are at now. I would be shocked if we're over 20% given we don't even dominate 50% of this continent yet. If Shaka has that many cities that means there is a serious chunk of land down south we havent seen yet.

Given our current tech pace we will easily get to the modern age before we have completely filled in this continent and have it fully developed.

travathian on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Since I can see what they're researching: want to give me the right to just insert Liberalism wherever?

And yeah, Banking is 3/4 turns at the moment, so I may just grab it at some point.
    Yeah, go ahead and insert it at the point where we're actually at a risk of losing the opportunity. Otherwise, just let it sit tight for now

The Littlest Ion on
    IonJr.gif
  • Options
    dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    travathian wrote: »
    Edit: Governance - I propose we do like the Romans did. Western, core, Eastern. Reps from each city in those three regions decide which rep will govern that province, and the province governor will collect build orders for their cities and funnel it to the head honcho.

Too be fair, the romans only did that when their empire was full of fail. which our empire is distinctly not.

dojango on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Also: I'm trying to create less bureaucracy, not more.

Would be a fun thing to play around with the world builder and give you a multiplayer scenario at the end. Maybe.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Wow... Priests have dwindled into useless leftovers from an earlier, less enlightened age, haven't they?

Anyway, for what it's worth, I think my Great Prophet will wait until the Islamic Holy City has been taken and then build the Shrine there.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    SammailSammail Registered User new member
    edited February 2010
    Still new here, but don't give Shaka anything. He'll be coming as soon as he can anyway. Why help him hit harder?

Sammail on
  • Options
    HippieHippie Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    As per:
    Hippie wrote: »
    TO WAR!

I will march our troops past the Arc de Triomphe, down the Champs Elysees to the Place de la Concorde. And take Paris as a trophy.

I'm all for it.

The proposed battle plan is sound. Hit Tours on the way to Paris and Rheims, then Orleans and Marseilles. After that it's just a matter of mopping up.

As for the votes:

Wipe them out... all of them!

and

Aye to the forming of states. Define them by the geography.

Hippie on
  • Options
    silburnlsilburnl Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Shite, I lost my post. Anyway here are my votes (in my capacity as a member of the cabinet).
    Declare War on France?

Aye.
    Assuming that passes: here are the French cities in a spoiler. We need a BATTLE PLAN from Grand Marshal Hippie, and a Keep/Raze vote on some of them. Others we are keeping no matter what for various reasons, which I will note when discussing them.

I vote keep all French cities bar Lyons. Let Brennius have Lyons to keep him happy.

We should be thinking about National wonders and such like - it looks like one of the French coastal cities (Chartres perhaps) would be a good slot for Moai Statues.
    Plan for the French Rump Vote

1) Genocide
    2) Peace, keep them independent
    3) Peace, Vassalize them after acquisition of priority war aims (Paris, Rheims, Orleans, Marseilles)

I vote (c) genocide - pretty obvious really given as I think we should be keeping practically all of the French cities.

We need to re-structure our governance. I would like to make states for our governors with two or three cities in each one.

I vote aye to a reorganisation into states (the fact that I am currently a governor has no bearing on this vote - honest).
    Sub-proposition - If Aye wins (even if you vote nay, vote on this) should each state hold
    a) two cities
    b) three cities
    c) a geographically appropriate number of cities

I vote (c) geographically appropriate states - let's not get hung up on fitting states into some kind of template.

PS
    Travathian speaks wisdom.

silburnl on
    Insert witty sig here
  • Options
    EbfanEbfan Wimmy Wam Wam Wozzle! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    In my opinion:

War with France? Aye
    Goal of the war? Genocide
    Restructuring? Aye, geographically appropriate states

Ebfan on
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Go to war with France, (1)wipe them out

Create states, with (c)geographically appropriate city counts

Raze Tours and give Lyons to Brennus, since if he resettled there he might move north and get the gold.

On the tech front, go for rifles just 'cause it's hilarious to get them so early.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    NewresNewres Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    For the war on France.

1,) Conquer all!

They are weak so we can wipe them out completely, and not worry about cities rebelling again because of culture and whatnot. I think we should keep all cities with perhaps gifting Lyon, but I will leave this up to our Queen.

For reorganizing governorship
    Yay with c) a geographically appropriate number of cities

It makes sense as our empire grows bigger to have governors assigned to multiple cities.

BTW I am a representative and citizen of Pinto for the sake of updates in the original post.

Newres on
    960751-1.png
  • Options
    quarthinosquarthinos Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'd have to say put the frogs to the torch (War to the Genocide!)

I don't have an opinion on raze/keep of cities, but giving Brennus a bone would work.

I'm going with the majority here and saying geographic states.

quarthinos on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    quarthinos wrote: »
    I'd have to say put the frogs to the torch (War to the Genocide!)

I don't have an opinion on raze/keep of cities, but giving Brennus a bone would work.

I'm going with the majority here and saying geographic states.

I agree with the above. I have no real opinion on the French cities as far keep/torch. Save Liberalism, but definitely pick up some economic techs soon - we need more trade routes.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    TagTag Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Keep the great wall city; not sure which one it is in. It's likely that that city also has a great spy or scotland yard in it (if not, some other city should, so look before we torch it); whichever city has this resource can instantly become our own glorious nation's spy capital... how fitting!

Tag on
    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    If we have enough military units before the next city update, I'd like to put a Grocer and, if you grab the tech, a Bank into Los Wangeles's queue. More conquest does mean more upkeep for a bit assuming we don't liberally but strategically torch stuff.

Steel Angel on
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It's Paris. Paris has I think 8 wonders. Maybe 9. We'll get a full catalogue of them tomorrow night.

City PMs will go out in a few hours.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm in a bad mood at the moment, so no PMs. Slacker massive city dump goes here:
    2gvm1kl.jpg

15wqz5.jpg

o5nzgz.jpg

2gtuhsh.jpg

2u87xj4.jpg

2lj0vv7.jpg

2my6ra1.jpg

290yfz4.jpg

2r7bpjs.jpg

1zv2uit.jpg

ngsufr.jpg

2iiu3qa.jpg

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Throw a Grocer followed by a Market into the building queue for Lesbion. After that, military production can continue as usual.

The Littlest Ion on
    IonJr.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You guys crack me up. Everyone wants to build a bunch of buildings in their city and have a bunch of specialists without even thinking about what good those things will do.

Djonganet has a ton of commerce potential, yet it only has a library and is building a treb; ditch the treb and focus on commerce multiplying buildings while letting high production cities build units.

Pi-Dongbury is trying to run a specialist economy despite the fact that it isn't even close to its happiness cap and all its tiles are farmed for maximum pop, yet is building a gold bonus building that will hardly help given its religion has only spread to one other city; skip the buildings and crank out missionaries, then once your gold income has increased then build the +25% gold buildings.

E Schlongville: yah! high commerce city building commerce multiplier buildings.

Silver Snakes: is building a military unit while working tiles for commerce, while using 3 specialists and over the health limit? Focus. If you want to build units then move from food/commerce tiles to production tiles.

Coitus: has a artist specialist, presumably for border pushing. Border pushing is pointless given that the French wont have any borders here real soon. Instead switch to production and start cranking out more military units or produce gold in order to upgrade our archers to longbowmen.

Lesbion shouldnt even think about a market and a grocer given how little commerce it produces and yet how awesome its production capacity is.

If you wanted to play a specialist economy you should have picked a philosophical leader, cause a ton of those GPPs are going to waste and those specialists are not contributing very much to most of the cities.

Everyone keeps thinking "well we have enough military units to beat Louis" and you are right. We probably do. But also keep in mind that every new city is going to need a defender or two, plus we are going to suffer losses in war. See our power rating compared to Shaka's? That is going to go down with every loss we suffer, and Shaka hates us, so it is not unreasonable to think he might attack us while we are thinned out. It is always better to go into a war knowing that victory is absolutely certain, than it is to leave any doubt and potentially end up in a protracted war. Not to mention that the Apostolic Palace adds all sorts of difficulty in warmongering and it behooves us to capture it asap.

Really, any high commerce city should focus on commerce multipliers and everyone else should focus on military or missionaries. At 50% slider settings we'd break even, which is fine at this point given our tech situation. Focus on one thing at a time, if that focus is destroying Louis, then balls to the wall and smash his face in. Markets don't smash faces :P

travathian on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    To be fair: I kind of started just arbitrarily making Trebuchets everywhere as I needed them to assault Louis.

Also, if you want to show off idealized micro play, you should make an LP! It's only a little bit of work writing wise!

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Meh, if people want to learn the meta game then civfanatics has tons of guides about it. And its not really micromanaging its more about focusing cities on what they can do best. High production cities with low commerce shouldn't bother with buildings that target commerce. Yeah they will get some small benefit from them over time, but every hammer spent on a building with a limited bonus is a hammer not spent on a unit to keep our power score high enough to fend off that vulture down south.

travathian on
  • Options
    HippieHippie Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Plus, this isn't really about focusing on winning. This is just us running an empire. Its for the lulz, as the children say.

We dont care that our towns aren't optimized, its just to play around.

Hippie on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    o5nzgz.jpg

Does the city have a Grocer yet? If not, it needs one!

Beyond that, I have this handy checklist in lieu of my normal build queue format.

Do we have enough knights to wipe out France and possibly counter an attack by Shaka? If not, build more knights!

We do have enough knights? Then build a University or Bank, depending if our funds or research is in worse shape.

Do we still have enough knights? If not, build some more!

Now build whatever building we didn't.

Now build more units.

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dropping a non-LP related question here, please let me know if it isn't welcome:

Since everyone hanging around in this thread plays (or, is at least familiar with) Civ IV... do you use any mods with it? I'm seeing a pile of "we assume you have this" mods in the big Civ forums. Like interface mods that stray very close towards the line of altering gameplay altogether.

WHEOOHRN, indeed.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif