As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My information might well be of use to you, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• Options
    Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    And you can make a bit of cash of guns you pick up. If you repair them you can resell them, but they have to be in relatively good condition before you repair, otherwise the repair bill will be more than the payout. Anything with a condition of ~60-70% or greater seems to reap a positive return. It's not a whole lot, and you won't become rich from doing it, but it's better than nothing.
    And yeah I experimented with this last night and noticed the same thing. Helps with my OCD that I don't have to just drop them on the floor and can at least sell them for a few rubles.

Where are you at now in the game? I just got the quest to take care of the thing in your spoiler tag. Done with just about everything else in the first area (anomalies and marked sidequests).

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Nice OP

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    One thing to think about is the difficulty level. Jim @ RPS said on Master the enemies still throw grenades with annoying accuracy. I set it to Veteran and I've only had them blast me once or twice, but that might get worse later in the game. That difficulty seems sufficient to me early on. Most of the gun battles against humans have been challenging due to urban buildings or an ambush. It's not like SoC where everyone is immediately hostile and you can see the enemy a ways off to snipe from cover until they're dead. This might change when I get a scoped rifle and can retreat to use those tactics. (I actually found one early but it's the same problem as vanilla SoC with a lack of dropped ammunition depending on the enemy tech level of the zone you're in.)

The new inventory interface has some pros and cons. Much more clear indication of whether a weapon or armor is better or worse than what you have equipped (green good, red bad). They took numbers away from the secondary effect protection list and went with bars there too. Not many numbers other than with the artifacts. Radiation is no longer a bar but a 3-level indicator like bleeding. All this may have been in Clear Sky, I don't even remember. I'd say the HUD is pretty good with a couple new additions; they even put the clock out there.

Another minor spoiler about stealth:
    I was excited because there's a side quest section that looks like you can sneak into it, but there is some sort of shitty global detection thing where if you move into the light everyone goes hostile. I was able to sneak around some enemies but it didn't turn out like I hoped and had to shoot everyone. Maybe there will be other parts that do this better, or I could always try going at night. Modders can work on this too I'm sure, but I was curious if they would expand stealth due to the new detection indicators on the HUD.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I almost forgot about this coming out until I saw a thread somewhere else about it yesterday. And I hadn't even heard of Metro 2033 somehow. I was getting kind of annoyed at the lack of decent pc shooters recently, I now am not.

Also :shakefist: as I won't be able to try this until the weekend.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I just remembered that the forums were talking about some settings to make CoP look at least as good as CS in terms of lighting and textures. Can't find the user.ltx settings now but I'll keep looking. Probably not going to bother with it much since mod teams will spice this up nicely and I can rediscover the game all over again at that point.

I believe GSC increased the fog distance, which is why the land looks so plain.

Keep in mind that all the old engine glitches are still here, like the weird sunshadow that some people get. The usual tricks apply, but don't expect lots of polish on the engine. CoP so far is some new design and more of the same in the rest of the game, like most expansion packs are.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    InterruptInterrupt Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This game is a bit of a happy surprise for me, I bought SoC when it came out but never made it past Yantar with my less than stellar PC. I installed it last week on my new beast after my Russian friend kept talking about how great CoP is and I'm having a blast this time around.

I love how these games have a great sense of place and atmosphere. In SoC things feel like they existed before the game and not just because of it.

I'm hoping CoP shows up on Steam soon as the reason it took me this long to fire up the original again is because of the original disc going AWOL. Any news on why it's taking so long?

Interrupt on
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Word on the street is the steam delays are directly related to the publisher never working with steam before.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Every day CoP is not up on Steam is another day I don't have to resist the temptation of playing it before I can do the LP for it. Also another day closer to having some graphical updates from the LURK team (provided they ever manage to finish LURK 1.1).

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    STALKER trivia I never realized until this game: the sun rises in the west.
    Madpanda wrote: »
    Word on the street is the steam delays are directly related to the publisher never working with steam before.
    In the previous thread we talked about bitComposer having some credits on two Steam games, Race On and The Void, but it wasn't clear how much they actually did for them if anything. Might have just been regional distributors.

If anyone really wants to play this I would not fret about checking out Target. You know they'll be selling it for $5 a year or two from now if you're that desperate for Steam. If you can wait without getting upset that's one thing, but I think we're going to see more of a delay than just this Friday...

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    As far as I know, bitComposer is the defacto publisher for the game. If you recall, The Void also wasn't on Steam until one or two weeks after retail release.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    RPS and 4A want everyone to know that Metro 2033 is not like STALKER. Still intrigued (psychic freaky parts?) but probably not much to do with the games in this thread!

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I thought I was going to wait for steam, but there was a whole stack of boxes in Target and I couldn't resist. I feel a little bad having skipped right over Clear Skies.

Fats on
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Fats wrote: »
    I thought I was going to wait for steam, but there was a whole stack of boxes in Target and I couldn't resist. I feel a little bad having skipped right over Clear Skies.

I hate you people who live in countries that have Target.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Well, my review is up on Eurogamer.dk, so I'll spill the beans.
    Great review, man. Makes me wish I didn't make a resolution to clear a significant portion of my backlog before I pick up new games.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Tim James wrote: »
    Madpanda wrote: »
    In the previous thread we talked about bitComposer having some credits on two Steam games, Race On and The Void, but it wasn't clear how much they actually did for them if anything. Might have just been regional distributors.

It took me 6 weeks to get my mail-in copy of The Void from those guys.

[edit] Damn it, I keep double posting. Lame.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Daemonion wrote: »
    That's okay. I'm stuck doing it since barely anyone else has CoP. Come on everybody, knock down a few soccer moms at Target and get a copy! Let's compare impressions.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    RPS and 4A want everyone to know that Metro 2033 is not like STALKER. Still intrigued (psychic freaky parts?) but probably not much to do with the games in this thread!
    I just realized 2 things.

1. I could totally go for Russian Half-Life
    2. I still need to play Cryostasis.
    Mind.

Blown.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Monger wrote: »
    Well me too but the problem is you have to be able to polish rail shooters to a mirror sheen, and who knows if they can do it.
    2. I still need to play Cryostasis.
    On my list as well for freaky factor but too busy at the moment. Some of the hokey game elements in Metro 2033, like air filters, reminded me of what I've heard about Cryostasis. That's something else they have to be very careful with or the whole game becomes stupid. So I'm cautious but still intrigued.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well me too but the problem is you have to be able to polish rail shooters to a mirror sheen, and who knows if they can do it.
    As someone who thought Gears of War 2 was garbage and played Dark Sector through 5 times (and counting), I don't really know if I agree.

Monger on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That's okay. I'm stuck doing it since barely anyone else has CoP. Come on everybody, knock down a few soccer moms at Target and get a copy! Let's compare impressions.

I can't really play until next week. emot-saddowns.gif

Fats on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Mind.

Blown.
    Haha!

Fuck. I want to go to target and buy this.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Mind.

Blown.
    Haha!

Fuck. I want to go to target and buy this.

It's STALKER. Your backlog will understand.

DO IIIIIIT! 8-)

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It's STALKER. Your backlog will understand.

DO IIIIIIT! 8-)

No! ...must ...resist temptation ...too ...strong

Daemonion on
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'll be damned, Target had it. Thanks for the recommendation :D

Game time? Game time.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Man, stop tempting me to run up to Target. I will sit here and wait patiently for Amazon to deliver me magnificence at my doorstep, if only so I can experience fantasticism without the necessity of pants.

And apparently prepurchasing Metro 2033 on Steam will net you Red Faction: Guerrilla for free.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Have they shipped it yet from Amazon?

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    No, but yes.

Maybe?

Never.
    We are preparing these items for shipment and this portion of your order cannot be canceled or changed.

Monger on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So for someone who has L.U.R.K. installed, what are some other mods I can pile on top of it that won't cause some sort of conflict? Is there anything worth installing in addition with L.U.R.K.?

And what's this about getting Azumanga on the TV?

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    So for someone who has L.U.R.K. installed, what are some other mods I can pile on top of it that won't cause some sort of conflict? Is there anything worth installing in addition with L.U.R.K.?
    The only thing I'm running with LURK is the gun mod in the megapost. I haven't tried to stack mods on top of it, but I can't really think of anything I'd want changed that LURK doesn't already cover. Excluding the stuff that isn't working in the current version yet, of course.
    And what's this about getting Azumanga on the TV?
    Not only is there a mod that makes the TV in the bar play Azumanga Daioh, but the mod that makes the TV in the bar play Azumanga Daioh was one of the first mods that came out for the game. It's about as far up my "wait, why would you even..." as... well, the majority of mods for any given Elder Scrolls game.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    We are preparing these items for shipment and this portion of your order cannot be canceled or changed.
    That's what it said for me, but I figured it might be a week so I emailed them to cancel it.

I'm on to the second map now, although places in the first map continue to be used for quests. Still a slow burn. Lots of exploring nooks and crannies, knocking out tasks. Nothing too wild yet but it's nice to play more STALKER.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

What mods will and will not work together is always a total crapshoot. Generally, any large-scale mods like Complete, LURK, or OL are just too complex to be mesh without going into the their files and changing a whole slew of items.

And for LURK, keeping a couple things in mind if you want to try it out will help you enjoy it a lot more. Namely, the only time you will find a better suit than the one you start with is once in some train car. All the found suits and reward suits are taken out; either they're replaced with bandit jackets or you get nothing at all. It's not a bug, it's part of the intent of the LURK developers to make the economy worth something. LURK 1.1 will at least replace the suits with rewards of varying usefulness, but 1.1 isn't out yet so that doesn't help anybody.

Second is that selling things gets you a lot less money and everything costs a helluva lot more. Early game with LURK, keeping an adequate supply of the right ammo is pricey enough to make you worry. And even the relaxed weight limits in LURK are pretty limited, but that can be altered by the user if they so choose.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm barely ten minutes into CoP. I scoped out a burned-out farmstead covered with burner anomalies, then took my findings over to a wrecked ship-turned-stalker hideout. Caught up on the latest news, started looking for info on the chopper crashes, traded an artifact for some food and vodka. A blowout forced everybody indoors, so I sat and listened to a stalker play a harmonica while the storm raged outside.

I haven't fired a single shot yet and it is so good to be back :D

Edit: Goddamn, half an hour in and already shit got crazy. Very minor early-game spoiler.
    Went looking for some strange artifact for Beard, wound up getting mugged; first the guy pretended he needed it for some sick friend, then two of his buddies jumped me with rifles when I pretended I didn't know what he was talking about. Not giving them the chance to ask again, I dug out my own gun and took cover while returning fire. Took out the mugger and one of his pals, but was badly wounded in the exchange.

As I'm patching myself up I hear gunfire in the distance, and it's not directed at me. Poke my head out, and I see a few snorks prowling around where the third mugger used to be; nothing on the map but a grey dot.

I start looting bodies and see one of them survived, badly wounded. I shrug, dig out my pistol, and put him down for good.

Totally worth the wait.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You'll find a lot of short scripted things scattered around like that. There is also a lot of A-life combat. The NPCs have probably done more shooting than I have during the game so far. There could be a very real possibility of pacifist runs through the main quest, at least on the first map here, if you carefully scouted your path to avoid monsters.

[EDIT] Actually thinking about this more it might not be possible, at least without mods.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I took some time away from Mass Effect 2 last night to start on Clear Sky and so far I'm digging the territorial control mission at the beginning. It's like a more tense, chaotic game of Team Fortress; having to hold guys off while backup arrives is a nice touch. There's more like this later on, right?

Anyway, after getting shot up a whole bunch while warming up I'm finally back into my old groove; the hunting rifle I found is a nice alternative to the shotgun, but since it uses shot pellets it's still not much more than a short-range weapon. Lining up headshots with the pistol at range seems to work well, and after lucking into a stash of AK ammo things should get a bit easier.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    There's more like this later on, right?
    Well, there was supposed to be, but it's broken and the devs never fixed it. I also believe an official patch just removed it.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Well, there was supposed to be, but it's broken and the devs never fixed it. I also believe an official patch just removed it.

Doesn't the Faction Commander Mod fix some of the faction war stuff?

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    weeskweeweeskwee Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    got my preordered copy yesterday from Amazon. played for an hour or so last night.

observations:

1) best looking of the series by far.
    2) runs flawlessly at maxed settings for me, and i do not have an uber machine.
    3) no bugs made themselves known in my first play session.
    4) it rocks hard.

That is all. :)

weeskwee on
    Nintendo Network ID: weeskwee
    XBL Gamertag: weeskwee
    PSN: weeskwee
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    weeskwee wrote: »
    What are you basing that on, art direction and increased draw distance? The latter is kind of a wash due to the low res maps on distant land.

They did improve the textures (and AI) on a lot of the mutants, which look pretty good.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The faction warfare bits in Clear Sky were so utterly and terribly broken that they were simply removed by the developers to keep from jamming up games. A number of missions involve taking a given point, but those points don't count as taken until members from a given faction arrive there. Squads can get stuck, killed, or simply will never, ever move from a given point (at least not without ages of real-time waiting) and thus make it impossible to secure positions.

Even with Faction Commander, it's still possible to have missions time out or never be completable without joining a given faction and paying to spawn a group of them at a point. It's still kind of messy, but Faction Commander at least makes it possible to complete certain missions even if they become a pain to do so. Plus it re-activates the faction warfare, which is neat.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Doesn't the Faction Commander Mod fix some of the faction war stuff?
    Yea, but I don't know if he is using mods or not.
    weeskwee wrote: »
    got my preordered copy yesterday from Amazon. played for an hour or so last night.

observations:

2) runs flawlessly at maxed settings for me, and i do not have an uber machine.
    3) no bugs made themselves known in my first play session.
    4) it rocks hard.

That is all. :)

I took two games off my backlog yesterday ...I'm wondering if maybe that is enough to pick up CoP?

Damnit. If I buy CoP than what will stop me from Mass Effect 2, Splinter Cell Conviction, Borderlands expansions, Assassin's Creed 2 ...

Daemonion on
This discussion has been closed.