As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Suggested PSP games for PA East

whosgeowhosgeo Registered User new member
edited March 2010 in PAX Archive
If the DS can have its own thread, so can the PSP! I primarily play single player games on my PSP. So I'm not sure what is often played multiplayer standing around at PAX. I'm looking to pick up a couple games before heading to Boston. Any suggestions?

whosgeo on

• Options
    dardordardor Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I don't like PvP (at all) so can't help you much there. I know that a few of us have Dissidia, which has pretty good head to head battling. If you're an FF fan you should get that regardless.

dardor on
    I'll take a potato chip and eat it!
  • Options
    MisterPlisskenMisterPlissken Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Both the Siphon Filter and Metal Gear: Portable Ops games have decent multiplayer. I might have to dust of mine before I come over.

MisterPlissken on
  • Options
    DaNerdDaNerd Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
    Dissidia
    Phantasy Star Portable
    Lumines
    Guilty Gear Accent Core Plus

DaNerd on
    Buy a small corporation and use it to manufacture love. Then give the love to her at a bulk discount
  • Options
    RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    DaNerd wrote: »
    Dissidia
    Phantasy Star Portable
    Lumines
    Guilty Gear Accent Core Plus

I believe I see a pattern here. I'll be sure to bring my PSP and 3 copies of Monster Hunter Freedom Unite.

Rdr on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I guess I forgot a copy, since it's 4 person co-op.

DaNerd on
    Buy a small corporation and use it to manufacture love. Then give the love to her at a bulk discount
  • Options
    OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm pretty sure the answer is...

Or something like that. I might also bring Lumines, Warhammer 40k Squad Command, and FF Tactics, though I expect monster hunter to be the most common psp game by far. Anyone up for pwning a Lao Shan?

Onmitsu on
    Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    If by Lao Shan you mean Fatalis, then yes! Lao fights are so long and boring.

DaNerd on
  • Options
    OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Alright, sounds good. I personally mentioned lao shan because I figure 4 badass hunters pounding on it should actually kill the bastard with due speed. Maybe. Time I busted out the game and started training again.

Onmitsu on
    Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
  • Options
    BrennaCeDriaBrennaCeDria Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Can we switch this to "misc" like the DS thread was? Cause I won't be at PAX until Prime, but I'll be bringing Dissidia and Lumines at the very least, not sure what else; have to go through and see what I have is multi-player.

BrennaCeDria on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    While you're switching it to misc, you might want to also add the 'X' to the end of "PA".

DaNerd on
  • Options
    MockduckMockduck Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I will bring Atari Classics (c'mon 2 player action!) along with Dungeons and Dragons Tactics.

Mockduck on
  • Options
    GausGaus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I know in past conventions around the Boston area, DJ Max Portable has been very popular.

Also - Did anyone mention Monster Hunter Freedom Unite yet?

Gaus on
    Professional assassination. It's the highest form of public service. - Chiun
  • Options
    whosgeowhosgeo Registered User new member
    edited February 2010
    So i've sensed a theme here. Looks like I should pick up MHFU before PAX. Anyone a fan of Puzzle Quest? Any other suggestions? Or is the PSP not worth it at the con?

Oh, and if someone can tell me how, I'll change the category to "Misc" and add the "X" on PAX

whosgeo on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think that it's totally worth it to bring the PSP, I just think the trend will be towards more modern games. ( Like MHFU ) Puzzle Quest just isn't in a lot of people's minds any more. ( especially since it was so glitchy in the beginning, it put a few people off )

Gaus on
  • Options
    ninja_bladeninja_blade Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Okay so I'll bring dissidia...
    does anyone have street fighter, or Star wars battlefront?

ninja_blade on
    karate here. [taps his head] Karate here. [taps his heart] Karate never here. [points to his belt] Understand?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I have Street Fighter. I don't have Star Wars.

Gaus on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Street fighter is good and people are bringing dissidia

ninja_blade on
    karate here. [taps his head] Karate here. [taps his heart] Karate never here. [points to his belt] Understand?
  • Options
    ayersrjayersrj Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I picked up Blazblue today. Haven't even played the portable one, so I need to get my skills up very quickly.

Also was planning on bringing Gran Turismo, Lumines I & II, and if someone actually has a random copy kicking around NHL 07, which is by far the best portable hockey game since NHL 2002 (which was basically NHL 94 on the GBA)

ayersrj on
    WarioWareDIY FC - Ron - 0990-4234-4719
    LetsGoTech.png
  • Options
    50 More Trash50 More Trash Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I really hope I can bump into someone to play a matchup of FF Tactics... I'm one of the only people in my circle of friends with a PSP and have never had a chance to try PvP Tactics... meaning I'd probably get my ass kicked, but it would still be fun to see what its like.

And I would think Lumines II over Lumines, if I recall correctly there's a few extra game modes in II... but I could be wrong.

Is there a meetup or something for PSP gaming, or are we just crossing our fingers and hoping we're next to eachother in line (best way to pass time in line!).

50 More Trash on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I really hope I can bump into someone to play a matchup of FF Tactics... I'm one of the only people in my circle of friends with a PSP and have never had a chance to try PvP Tactics... meaning I'd probably get my ass kicked, but it would still be fun to see what its like.

And I would think Lumines II over Lumines, if I recall correctly there's a few extra game modes in II... but I could be wrong.

Is there a meetup or something for PSP gaming, or are we just crossing our fingers and hoping we're next to eachother in line (best way to pass time in line!).

I got FF tactics but I haven't really played it... do you know if it's just random generic units or leveled ones?

ninja_blade on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I got FF tactics but I haven't really played it... do you know if it's just random generic units or leveled ones?

Oh man, that's one of the downfalls of the game. In PvP or Co-op it doesn't scale up or down your characters... meaning that if you play someone substantially higher level than you its impossible, and even if you're doing co-op the monsters are rated based on the highest level character... meaning it would be horribly hard... even if not for PAX, you really should play it though, it's an amazing version of an already awesome game.

50 More Trash on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Oh man, that's one of the downfalls of the game. In PvP or Co-op it doesn't scale up or down your characters... meaning that if you play someone substantially higher level than you its impossible, and even if you're doing co-op the monsters are rated based on the highest level character... meaning it would be horribly hard... even if not for PAX, you really should play it though, it's an amazing version of an already awesome game.

I've passed the PS1 version, it is good, but my PSP is what I do when there's nothing else. I love my psp don't get me wrong, but God of War 3 is out...not to mention the time killer (final fantasy 13)

ninja_blade on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I've passed the PS1 version, it is good, but my PSP is what I do when there's nothing else. I love my psp don't get me wrong, but God of War 3 is out...not to mention the time killer (final fantasy 13)

PSP is for playing at work... I was at a customer service job when I picked up my copy of Tactics for PSP, so it took me about a week or two of playing at work to get a solid play through, complete with sidequests, etc. I love the PSP for the re-releases of games I used to love (looking at you Dracula X Chronicles/Symphony of the Night specifically).

50 More Trash on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I think everyone is going to be meeting up in the handheld lounge. ( you probably can't miss it since it's the loonng hallway with the windows looking out onto the street. )

Also wanted to say that I just picked up Eye of Judgment portable and hope to see some people to battle.

Gaus on
  • Options
    macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'll be bringing bust-a-move, lumines, and wipeout pure.

macrogeek on
  • Options
    DJ LushiousDJ Lushious Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I didn't think about Street Fighter Alpha. I'll be picking it up this weekend.

So, is it mainly we'll link up in the handheld gaming lounge? I was thinking that it would just be a matter of seeing *someone* broadcasting a game at any point during the convention.

DJ Lushious on
  • Options
    AstroLadAstroLad Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Anyone bringing Lumines 2? Or my personal favorite Ac!d 2?

AstroLad on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Not sure how many of you have played it but Resistance: Retribution is down to 20$ here in Canada (assuming it might be even cheaper in the USA)... its pretty fun (very Goldeneye/Perfect Dark actually) and has a couple multiplayer modes... anyone bringing theirs?

That's the great part about PSP games... I can bring my whole Library and take up almost no space in my bag...

50 More Trash on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I love Resistance: Retribution. I haven't played for soo long though.. I should definitely bring it.

Gaus on
  • Options
    DJ LushiousDJ Lushious Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Okay, so I got Sreet Fighter Alpha and am finding the smaller D-Pad to be a complete bear to pull off some characteras supers (Vega, Guile, etc.).

I've not given the BlazBlue series a whole lot of time. Would I be better to give that a try? Does BlazBlue's special/ultra/whatever moves translate to the PSP d-pad better?

DJ Lushious on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    BlazBlue is a p terrible game. If you want something that plays the same, but is much better, pick-up Guilty Gear: Accent Core Plus.

DaNerd on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    That's not entirely fair to BlazBlue... I played tons of GG on the PS2... and found that BB is about 78% more approachable for newbies... they take the overall feel of GG and tweak it a little bit for BB making it much easier for someone to get into, but still having that high level of skill to actually master it (and even then, I would argue that mastering all the characters would be almost impossible, I've had the game for about a year and play on a regular basis and can only really say I'm "good" with Noel and Arakune).

But I also have never played either on PSP, I tend to grip the PS controller 'arcade style' and also have a tournie stick for play at home, these tendencies and preferences wouldn't transfer over too well on the PSP I think... but that's just me.

PSP Games I will have in my bag:
    Resistance Retribution
    Dissidia
    Lumines II
    FFT

Does Crisis Core have a multiplayer element? I seem to remember there was a trade thing or something.

50 More Trash on
  • Options
    ShadowWolf9ShadowWolf9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    What about Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny?

It's my favorite fighter on the PSP.

ShadowWolf9 on
  • Options
    creid8creid8 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm bringing:

Lumines
    FFT
    Monster Hunter Freedom (haven't started 2, don't own Unite)
    Metal Gear Ac!d 2 (because someone mentioned it)

creid8 on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    creid8 wrote: »
    I'm bringing:

Lumines
    FFT
    Monster Hunter Freedom (haven't started 2, don't own Unite)
    Metal Gear Ac!d 2 (because someone mentioned it)

Do you have a high level game at FFT? I only have an endgame (pre Helm's Deep mind you, but still very high level, Dark Knights, Dancers, etc) save and would love someone to be around that level to play with or against...

50 More Trash on
  • Options
    Lotus9Lotus9 Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    I was thinking Tekken? Wireless Tekken on PSP is pretty sweet. Wait, 6 is out. Nevermind. I only have 5 on PSP. Hmmmm. I'm bringing it and FFT and Lumines. @REMGS on Twitter if you're down.

Lotus9 on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Man... I only have Lumines II... please tell me some of you guys have it... I've seen most of you post Lumines... but never the "II" part... such a good game... I was asked a question by a friend of mine with less-than-legal PSP (mine is not modded so no worries there)... do hacked versions of games work multiplayer with legal systems? If nobody knows we'll find out pretty quickly at PAX, but until then he nor I are sure.

50 More Trash on
  • Options
    ArymanAryman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well... besides Dissidia there's nothing else that's been mentioned that I play. I guess I'll be leaving my Phat at home.

Aryman on
    360/PSN/Steam: Aryman104

Currently playing: MvC3
    Other games: SSF4, Smash Bros Brawl, Pokemon HG, Magicka
  • Options
    AstroLadAstroLad Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I have and will bring Lumines II. Don't know how long I'll be in line for if at all, but I am definitely bringing and playing Lumines II and Ac!d 2.

AstroLad on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Man... I only have Lumines II... please tell me some of you guys have it... I've seen most of you post Lumines... but never the "II" part... such a good game... I was asked a question by a friend of mine with less-than-legal PSP (mine is not modded so no worries there)... do hacked versions of games work multiplayer with legal systems? If nobody knows we'll find out pretty quickly at PAX, but until then he nor I are sure.

So games do and some don't. Most do though.

Gaus on
This discussion has been closed.