Options

The Fifth Birthday PSP Thread

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »

I absolutely LOVED Grandia II and while I know the similarities in the games more or less ends at the title, I'm interested to play this.

Edit: Sonuvabitch. These recent sales and the PSOne selection growing larger by the week is making a PSPGo look more and more tempting.

Amazon has it at 200 don't they? And it comes with LBP now..so that's a decent enough deal.

Nah it's back up to $233. I kinda regret not grabbing a White one at $199 though.

Edit: That LBP deal is almost putting me over the edge though. I don't own a PS3 so I'd really like to try the game. And it retails for $40, so damn...

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I remember Grandia being touted as a "FF7 killer" back when it was a new release. It wasn't quite that good.

Pretty fun though; even though the story takes seemingly ages to get anywhere.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This thread inspired me to have another go at installing CFW on my PSP2000. Success! Ridiculously easy once I figured out that I was trying to do it with a bad memstick before.

So yeah, anyway, I love my PSP even more now. Currently working on Valkyrie Profile, and I have Persona 1 waiting in the wings. I've never played any of the Grandia games, but it sounds like I should get Grandia 1?

For those looking for recommendations, this chart is still useful, despite being a bit out of date. Linked for large: http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/vsrecommendedgames/images/f/f2/PSP_Reccomended_Games.jpg

cj, I'd totally read a PSP blog if you wrote one. Have you played any of the DJMax Portable offerings after 2?

cheez on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I've played DJMAX Fever, and it's good. It's basically DJMP 1+2 smashed together, though.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    cheez wrote: »
    This thread inspired me to have another go at installing CFW on my PSP2000. Success! Ridiculously easy once I figured out that I was trying to do it with a bad memstick before.

So yeah, anyway, I love my PSP even more now. Currently working on Valkyrie Profile, and I have Persona 1 waiting in the wings. I've never played any of the Grandia games, but it sounds like I should get Grandia 1?

For those looking for recommendations, this chart is still useful, despite being a bit out of date. Linked for large: http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/vsrecommendedgames/images/f/f2/PSP_Reccomended_Games.jpg

cj, I'd totally read a PSP blog if you wrote one. Have you played any of the DJMax Portable offerings after 2?

Clazziquai. I haven't played Black Square, but I did later pick up Portable 1(the very first).

It is tough as nails.

To any importers: Clazziquai is better than 2/Fever. It is my favorite by far.

And this is in it.

And regarding that list, Harvey Birdman... yeah, not exactly special. For some reason I got it as a Secret Santa gift for Wii.

The game's like three hours long. Maybe.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    To any importers: Clazziquai is better than 2/Fever. It is my favorite by far.

...You tempt me so. Damnit.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Speaking of imports, what else is good?

I've picked up Colin McRae Rally 2005 from Europe, and Initial D: Street Stage from Japan, but what esle should I take a look at if I

1.) Don't speak Japanese,

and

2.) Don't like DJMax?

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The only imports I have are three DJ MAXes and Initial D, so I'm not much help there.

I've always wanted to import Growlanser(since it's a safe bet it's never coming out here), but it's extremely Japanese heavy.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    2.) Don't like DJMax?

D::(:cry:

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    So DJ MAX Fever/2 looked pretty nice, right?

Have a gander at what Clazziquai's backgrounds can do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v1Z4EcupTw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQzlI4pAq18&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9lj0pjJFKc&feature=related

Also, something in Clazziquai's program makes the PSP's speakers sound fantastic. It really amplifies the sound quality.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm convinced. I'm importing when I get my tax return.
    How's Black Square by the way?

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Insane. I've never played it, but sheesh, looking at stuff like this, I don't think I want to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdZLAbQAesk

It's Clazziquai's improvements plus even crazier charts.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Koreans are... Special. I'll leave it at Special.

(Catchy tune though.)

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Insane. I've never played it, but sheesh, looking at stuff like this, I don't think I want to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdZLAbQAesk

It's Clazziquai's improvements plus even crazier charts.

I was excited for DJ Max. I love Rhythm games ala Space Channel 5, Gitaroo Man, & the like.

But I downloaded the demo and HOLY SHIT it DESTROYED ME.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    But I downloaded the demo and HOLY SHIT it DESTROYED ME.

The demo is harder than the actual game. It starts you way higher than the default difficulty level.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Speaking of imports, what else is good?

I've picked up Colin McRae Rally 2005 from Europe, and Initial D: Street Stage from Japan, but what esle should I take a look at if I

1.) Don't speak Japanese,

and

2.) Don't like DJMax?

Only other import in my collection is Tales of Eternia from Europe.

cheez on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Say, would anyone be interested in my PSP wallpaper set? I have 300 something game/anime ones, most of them croped/resized into PSP wallpapers by myself (and a few photoshoped by me) and others found online. It's all organized.

I haven't updated it in a while though... most of the stuff is from 2008 and reflects my RPG/anime tastes from then.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    My weak texturing photoshop skills, anything fancier was done by someone else and found.
    Shadow Hearts II
    shadowheartskarinkoenig.png

Star Ocean II
    staroceaniirenadias.png

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    when I bought my psp it came with 2.6 - shortly thereafter it was loaded with custom firmware and the only thing in it ever was DJ MAX. I love that game to death but a lot of the music i like is only reachable at "you must not only be Korean but have seven thumbs" level. :/ I have more hours in that than any other videogame I've ever played, to be honest. I'd buy Clazziqui, but i'm sort of led to believe it consists mostly of the same sort of light fare that almost all DJ MAX songs under 5 were- and Black Square of course looks incredihard. I still heart my original though. it's fantastic for improvised multiplayer on road trips- "you take the left-hand buttons and I'll take the right hand buttons", like playing double in DDR with two people. I can handle just about anything 4button (the 13 or whatever [blythe?] still evades me) and maaaybe up to a 7-8 in 6button. 8button isn't technically much harder than 6button but the entry-level charts are much tougher than they need to be.

at any rate I never could convince myself that the import cost hike for 2 was worth it, especially with a rumored stateside release, etc... long story short I really, really need to get on that.

If I could afford it I'd buy mostly imports. the japanese got a nice slice of PSP all to themselves :[
    something i've always wanted to get was Talkman Euro.

Here's a tidbit of 5-year reminiscence; I recently listed most of my PSP collection on Goozex. Games I KEPT are; DJ MAX, Killzone: Liberation, Ghost in the Shell, WipEout Pure, Me & my katamari ( <3 ). I'm o nthe fence about Final Fantasy Tactics- I played FFTA almost to completion and was serious hyped about a PSP game, but when I started playing I really just found out I had gotten just about everything I wanted out of the Advance game and haven't really touched War of the Lions. I played through armored Core: Formula Front one last time and am trading that currently. I also have traxxpad and a few movies; Steamboy, Serenity, and a two-UMD Aeon Flux animated series thing. (found it on sale and was seriously confused by its very existence.) oh, and a game that I got with DJ MAX because it was cheap- "PSP Simple 2500 series vol. 6: The Shensa". it is basically a port of an action tanksim game. For the price I really enjoyed it and it makes for a very small CSO to take with me on the memory stick even with another disc in.

Currently receiving some shiny used games to revive my PSP- I'll keep you updated.

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Clazziquai is overall the easiest version. It was made with casuals in mind, and has a 2 button mode.

It has a fair amount of easy songs, a lot of moderates, and two or three stupidly difficult ones.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The only song that destroys me is the 14-WhiteBlue MX.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Clazziquai is overall the easiest version. It was made with casuals in mind, and has a 2 button mode.

It has a fair amount of easy songs, a lot of moderates, and two or three stupidly difficult ones.

Well, I can clear most stuff in 2 on 6button mode, but I can't get the hang of 8button mode. How would you compare it to that?

vagrant: I'm always up for some new walls.

cheez on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Well, I can clear most stuff in 2 on 6button mode, but I can't get the hang of 8button mode. How would you compare it to that?

vagrant: I'm always up for some new walls.

You'll be fine. 8 button is nuts on any game, though Clazziquai makes it easier. It's called '4BFX' there.

And some of my favorite wallpapers are from Clazziquai:

DJMAX_CE_WALL_006.jpg

DJMAX_CE_WALL_007.jpg

DJMAX_CE_WALL_009.jpg

DJMAX_CE_WALL_015.jpg

DJMAX_CE_WALL_016.jpg

More DJ MAX:
    DJMAX_WALL_197.jpg

DJMAX_WALL_153.jpg

DJMAX_WALL_109-001.jpg

DJMAX_WALL_089.jpg

DJMAX_WALL_080.jpg

DJMAX_WALL_077.jpg

DJMAX_WALL_012.jpg

DJMAX_WALL_023.jpg

DJMAX_CE_WALL_001.jpg

DJMAX_CE_WALL_003.jpg

And the one I've used since I unlocked it:

DJMAX_CE_WALL_002.jpg

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I was more asking whether Clazziquai would be too easy. :P

cheez on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    >>> PSP Wallpaper <<<

About 332 in there, and most are from 2008. But maybe there's something you like.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

No way. It's got some easy songs, but the moderate ones get really tough charts on 6B(Clear Blue Sky is 11, it's high speed drum'n'bass), and In My Heart and First Kiss are just plain fun.

My favorite songs are way too easy, like Love Mode, but it's still worth playing.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Really looking forward to this

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/return-to-lunar-silver/62335

Though hopefully they'll get around to redoing the second one.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    flammiebcflammiebc Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

No way. It's got some easy songs, but the moderate ones get really tough charts on 6B(Clear Blue Sky is 11, it's high speed drum'n'bass), and In My Heart and First Kiss are just plain fun.

My favorite songs are way too easy, like Love Mode, but it's still worth playing.

If you can grab black square along with it, its link disc mode for clazziquai has additional patterns (mostly mx) for some songs as well, and they are not trivial. Plus its a good way to just play the songs without slogging through the (mostly super boring) Clazziquai tour mode.

flammiebc on
    Switch: SW-7753-7176-1119
    PSN: LucidStar_BC
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    how is Resistance: Retribution?

Molybdenum on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Molybdenum wrote: »

There's a demo you can download.

It's pretty good.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    flammiebc wrote: »

If you can grab black square along with it, its link disc mode for clazziquai has additional patterns (mostly mx) for some songs as well, and they are not trivial. Plus its a good way to just play the songs without slogging through the (mostly super boring) Clazziquai tour mode.

I think Play-Asia's selling a BS/CQ bundle for $49.99 now? Which is a really good deal. I paid that just for Clazziquai.

And yeah, Tour Mode is basically random charts. I hear Black Square's is more fun.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I think Play-Asia's selling a BS/CQ bundle for $49.99 now? Which is a really good deal. I paid that just for Clazziquai.

And yeah, Tour Mode is basically random charts. I hear Black Square's is more fun.

:o

WANT.

also what FW is the Resistance demo for? i'm well behind on my CFW updates I think. Running 5.00 M33-3.

Molybdenum on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Of course, failing that, DJ MAX Fever is $19.99 everywhere, if you want to start out slow.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010

It's pretty good.

I picked up a new copy from Amazon for like $13, but I haven't had time to fire it up yet. The demo was really good, though.

It's got infrastructure, so if you get it let me know and we should get some DM going sometime.

edit: I don't know what firmware the demo requires, but the UMD has the 5.03 update on it, so if you're at "5.0" you should give it a shot.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

It's pretty good.

I picked up a new copy from Amazon for like $13, but I haven't had time to fire it up yet. The demo was really good, though.

It's got infrastructure, so if you get it let me know and we should get some DM going sometime.

edit: I don't know what firmware the demo requires, but the UMD has the 5.03 update on it, so if you're at "5.0" you should give it a shot.

Yeah I'm gonna grab it someday on a whim if I see it for under $30.

And I still want Killzone but I'm almost just tempted to grab it off of PSN since it's a reasonable price.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Killzone is really good. It was one of the first games I picked up from the PSN.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think Play-Asia's selling a BS/CQ bundle for $49.99 now?

Lies. :(

cheez on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think Play-Asia's selling a BS/CQ bundle for $49.99 now?

Lies. :(

Truth.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This seems like a thing that somebody in this thread would know. I currently have a 1GB memory stick in my PSP. A shiny new 8GB just came in the mail. Is there any easy way to transfer all the stuff from my 1GB to the new 8GB?

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh I see, it's an entirely separate sales unit. Bought'd!

I like how Play-Asia recommended I buy Clazziquai together with it.

cheez on