As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Heavy Rain: The origami is coming from INSIDE THE HOUSE

• Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    i dunno, man. the facial movements seem fine to me, but i suppose i might be better at suspending my disbelief.

I can suspend my disbelief like nobody's business, man. They just look seriously off to me, especially those dead eyes.

like a doll's eyes...

Nah, whatever. Like I said, my uncanny valley threshold has different triggers than yours, I guess. Plus I'm an animation major so I've probably got a different way of looking at this stuff than most people.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    yeah, i can see that, but i've been working my way through richard williams' animation survival kit and doing studies of facial expressions :P so while i am not a major, i would like to think my animation sense is pretty okay.

and the eyes don't give that sense to me! psychonauts' eyes, ghostbusters' eyes, sure. but these seem pretty lifelike to me.

but maybe i'm a silly goose. i dunno. it seems hard to believe that our triggers could be so different, but hey.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Tycho's blog post may be ringing true for some people who may be getting good at shitting in their own mouths

Personally, I think that Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit was a very flawed game, and you either looked past the flaws and found massive potential or you zeroed in on the flaws and it completely alienated you from anything original it was trying to do

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I also see this game as smack dab in the middle of uncanny valley

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The eyes in Psychonauts were very much full of life and stuff. I can't say anything about Ghostbusters since I haven't played it, but in Heavy Rain they just seem painted on.

Maybe the bits I've seen just weren't very good for facial expressions and eyes and stuff. It could be that the rest is much better about that stuff.

Also, I may have been spoiled by James Cameron, the bastard.

Oh well!

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Gonna lean towards Spectre-X on this. Uncanny Valley is all over this.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I mean the facial animation is fine...except that lady was doing some pretty expressive movements without moving any other part of her face except for the immediate parts.

"Here watch as I talk about a killer without ever moving my eyebrows."

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    vermiculturevermiculture Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    the animations are a little weird and I hate that woman's teeth. One time my character removed his crazy glasses without the use of his arms or hands. They just sorta floated off of his face.

but I still liked it!

vermiculture on
    steam id: vermiculture
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I blame the voice acting on the fact that despite their budget they refuse to hire american actors to play americans, so you get stuck with french people trying to both sound american and like they're, you know, real

that reminds me of this terrible movie i recently watched called 'wΔz'

which starred stellan skaarsgard as a grizzled american cop (bad idea) and melissa george as a rookie american cop (australian d-grade soap actress... really bad idea) and the whole film consisted of this strange combination choking on their fake american drawl and coming up with inaudible mumbles

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The actress portraying Lauren does horribly

But the private investigator? I don't think his VA is that bad at all honestly

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited February 2010
    spectre-x engaging in fast paced whiny hyperbole?

no! say it isn't true! I WON'T BELIEVE IT!

Knob on
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Indigo Prophecy was outstandingly bad. It should have won awards for excellence in badness. It was Michael Jackson in 1987 bad. It was a glorious achievement in the field of badness. I firmly believe that everyone should play it, and I also firmly believe that the only correct response to "Indigo Prophecy was a really good game" is "hahaha, you're a fucking idiot". I could write epic poetry dedicated to how bad Indigo Prophecy was. If, during the long and difficult birth of my first child, the doctor drops him on his head, I will name that child Indigo Prophecy as a tribute. If further proof were needed that David Cage a virtuoso of the abysmal, consider this scenario; at some point his team came together and said "David, we've done it. We've created the most terrible piece of art ever conceived. We can't cram any more bad stuff into this game, ever barrel has been scraped. It's as terrible as we can possibly make it" and David Cage just smiled and said "there will be a stereo in the game, and it will only play Theory Of A Deadman songs". His staff simply back away, shaking their heads. One of them whispers "he's a genius"

A simple "no" would have sufficed.

happy-gilmore-billy-madison-collection-1.jpg

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The actress portraying Lauren does horribly

But the private investigator? I don't think his VA is that bad at all honestly

word.

I also would have liked to plow her, but I guess that's only in the full version

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I really enjoyed the demo.

Personally I think the game looks great, but the facial animations are nearly non-existent and everyone sounds like they are secret frenchies

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    They sound like those clips from that movie The Room or whatever

Staleghoti on
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2010
    i am super duper excited about alan wake though

bongi on
  • Options
    Dely AppleDely Apple Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Staleghoti wrote: »
    They sound like those clips from that movie The Room or whatever

This is exactly how I described most of the dialogue I've heard from this game

Press X to "Jason you are tearing me apaaaahhhhtttt"

Dely Apple on
    feets.jpg
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Personally, I think most of the animation in this is fine, and I actually like the look of most of the characters. Yeah, the hooker is definitely a little wooden, and the guy that busts into her place has some pretty awful VA, but I think Shelby's look and VA fits the character pretty damn well. I also liked Jayden's VA and I thought the police chief was pretty good, too.

Also, I completely disagree that Indigo Prophecy was garbage. It did a lot of really stupid things, sure. It also had some of the more innovative and memorable moments that I've played in a video game. If you want to trumpet all of its flaws, fine. But you're missing the forest for the trees.

Heavy Rain is going to be SO GOOD.

DON'T MAKE ME X O X [controller shake]
    YOU SILLY GEESE

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited February 2010
    Also, I completely disagree that Indigo Prophecy was garbage.

You are wrong.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

You are wrong.

I know, Tube, I know. Honestly, your reaction was what I mostly expected when I made this thread. It's good to know I wasn't the only one out there that took something positive away from that experience.

If you need me I'll just be over here with my Theory of a Deadman album collection and my sore lack of self-respect.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Tube runnin this shit like a BAWSE

Staleghoti on
  • Options
    MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I rented Indigo Prophecy once and then I never actually played it

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010

You are wrong.

I know, Tube, I know. Honestly, your reaction was what I mostly expected when I made this thread. It's good to know I wasn't the only one out there that took something positive away from that experience.

If you need me I'll just be over here with my Theory of a Deadman album collection and my sore lack of self-respect.

I mean I'm glad you appreciate it. That's the first step towards recovery.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

You are wrong.

Is the second step a cleansing immersion in the glory of Hulk: Ultimate Destruction? Because if so...I think I'm ready to change.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010

You are wrong.

Is the second step a cleansing immersion in the glory of Hulk: Ultimate Destruction? Because if so...I think I'm ready to change.

I don't think you're ready to play the most perfect game ever created. It'd be like that sequence in Alien 3 where the Alien jumps from the molten lead into the liquid nitrogen. You'd explode.

Tube on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    All behold Tube - sole authority on quality.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    As it was in the beginning. As it ever shall be.

Tube on
  • Options
    QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    He is Tube, King of Kings
    Look on his works, ye mighty and despair

QuestionMarkMan on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Are you calling Tube old and irrelevant?

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The Heavy Rain Four Days Challenge is finished today. You can enter the person you suspect is the killer today at the website.

I got it right, got the congratulatory message from the FBI, got a game trailer, and they say they're going to email me something. woot.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I don't really want to find out much of anything until I play through the game.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Artreus wrote: »
    I don't really want to find out much of anything until I play through the game.

Same here. Ori, does the Challenge spoil anything?

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    not really. you get evidence photos, some youtube videos, facebook profiles. more to get in the mood of heavy rain than to give away segments of the plot. you get handwritten missives from two of the main characters.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm reading Cage's blog, linked by Jerry in the newspost for today. Spectre, apparently Cage made the dev team remodel the kids and recapture their acting, as well as redevelop some other scenes he wasn't satisfied with. Looks like we can't say anything one way or the other until we play it.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    DarkBridgeDarkBridge Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I just downloaded the demo and gave it a shot, so here are my first-time impressions for anyone curious;

I was pretty excited about this game when I first saw the news, but I'm a little less excited having tried the demo. There really isn't much for you to look at, it basically showcases the controls.
    There is a "choice" section
    where you see a guy go into a girl's room that you try to pry for information regarding the killer, and you may choose to help her when you hear her screams, etc.
    , but there didn't seem to be much I could do to alter the course of the initial conversation. This will probably be less of an issue in the full game.

Also, I'm not sure how I feel about the controls. I suppose its intent was to open up the game for more choices and outcomes, but within the limitations of the demo I don't see how this couldn't have been done with dialogue boxes and a much more direct approach to character control (X to jump, O to punch, etc). It was a good idea on paper, but I feel much more constricted to a linear path in this game than I do in other adventure or story-driven games. It almost feels like a waste - the environments are really detailed and there's a lot of stuff to look at, but you can only interact with the predetermined objects/people.

That being said, I like Scott Shelby, the first character you get to play as in the demo. I suppose it helps that my choices make him "me", but his facial expressions at some points are really convincing. The girl that you run into during the demo though, her face...whoa. Come on developers, we're in 2010. Characters can look better now.

I'm all for storyline, but if the controls and limitations are this obstructive in the full game, I'd just assume read a book based on the game. Gameplay > storyline for me. I'll stick with renting a copy.

DarkBridge on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    not really. you get evidence photos, some youtube videos, facebook profiles. more to get in the mood of heavy rain than to give away segments of the plot. you get handwritten missives from two of the main characters.

Nice, trying this out later.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Heavy Rain appeals to me, because it's like a modern adventure game.

A genre that should be revived, but probably won't be.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Also, there's tits.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2010
    Heavy Rain appeals to me, because it's like a modern adventure game.

A genre that should be revived, but probably won't be.

it's like a modern adventure game

only

instead of using lateral thinking to solve puzzles you do whatever is on the screen

bongi on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    hmm, i have to defuse a bomb

here, glottis, puke on the floor

Orikaeshigitae on