As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This takes me back... [Mass Effect]

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    maybe people should just stop making ugly faces

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dyscord wrote: »
    there's a bug that causes eyelashes and facial makeup to not appear until you get to the normandy. In fairness it's not a huge deal, but really annoying when 1) your shepard looks like an alien (or charlie villanueva, whatever) until you get to the normandy and 2) after you get to the normandy you find out your shepard still looks like an alien because your choices were poor ones

If you're on the PC, at least, saving as soon as you're out of the character creator, exiting the game, restarting it, and loading your save pops all the makeup and eyelashes in. It's still a lot of inconvenience, but at least you're not waiting until the Normandy.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »
    ME2:
    Has anyone tried clicking on the vending machine in Zakera Ward's Level 27? It has at least 50 scripted responses of a turian trying to sell you a fruity drink harmful to turians and quarians, which, eventually, he claims can give you magic powers and other far fetched shit.
    He is very intent on selling you this drink. I'm stunned that there are no Youtube vids of this vending machine dialogue as it has to be one of the funniest things in the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dLnfXPol2M

Mei Hikari on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    the ME2 faces site has been a big help, since I can just import a highly rated face and tweak it and be at least somewhat certain that it won't look completely stupid, but still

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've found the hardest thing about femsheps is not fucking up the cheekbones.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    sidenote: They really need to work on making the very fist actions not look cheesy.

Like evil clenching fist
    or Knuckle Grinding fist in other hand

Egos on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    They need to also work on not making it look like Shepard is about to rape someone whenever he smiles.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So after buying this game on Steam I'm now downloading another 600 MB worth of shit from Bioware that could have been easily bundled with the core game. I am dissapoint.

Robman on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    hands are something that, in general, it doesn't seem like people have figured out how to animate. Granted they're really complex and probably a lot lower priority than faces, but you'd think by now they'd look better than they do. There's that one scene in one of miranda's convos where she knits her fingers in her lap (at least, that's what I think is meant to be happening) and it's pretty much completely terrible.

And yeah, the facial proportions on female shepard are the hardest part. Every time I make something that I think looks relatively normal, it seems like it's too small in proportion to her neck/shoulders. And there's no real way to expand the size of the face without giving her a ridiculously strong looking jaw.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    WolfprintWolfprint Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I have an issue with female necks. They are extremely long, and makes FemSheps look like giraffes. Especially with that bun hairdo.

And speaking of hand signs, I find it slightly amusing that Krogan, Turian, human, Asaro, and even the nice people over in Dragon Age: Origins do the same hand waving-"I'm trying to emphasise a point here" action.

Wolfprint on
  • Options
    Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I've found the hardest thing about femsheps is not fucking up the cheekbones.

The cheekbones are not solely a femshep problem, more than once I have created a maleshep who looks great in the character creation screen, and then when he appears in game it looks like you could cut a roast on his cheekbones.

Ad astra on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That wouldn't work with the AI as it currently is. An ammo regeneration capability would let you coast out firefights by just resting behind cover, since by and large their aren't too many times when the enemy will try to flank you. This works when you can run out of ammo - since they just have to wait you out. When you don't run out of ammo, you can just wait them out.

It would work if the enemy did try to flank you though if you didn't fire for a long while.

You can already do this with any class other than the Soldier, it's just you have to wait for your powers to recharge rather than your heatsink to cool.

But flanking enemies would be a huge difficulty spike, everyone's to a greater or lesser extent a glass cannon this time around.

I don't think it would even matter if you completely ran out of ammo during a firefight, I just don't want to have to pick it up after every fight.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    JucJuc EdmontonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Robman wrote: »
    So after buying this game on Steam I'm now downloading another 600 MB worth of shit from Bioware that could have been easily bundled with the core game. I am dissapoint.

and the prices being charged to new owners are outrageous! truly truly truly outrageous!

Jem!

Juc on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    They need to also work on making it look more like Shepard is about to rape someone whenever he smiles.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I made a male shep that looked alright, a little weirdly asian and a little odd but overall fine enough, in ME1.

I went through the entire game and it was passable.

Then at the very end of the game,
    he walks out of the rubble and that smile... oh my god, that smile.

i vowed that day to use the default male shep in ME2.

and what happens?

HE CAN'T FUCKING SMILE EITHER

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Why is there so much trouble with heads? I mean unless what you see in the preview isn't what you see in-game.

You should be able to rotate shepard's head to see how it looks from a number of angles, so getting the structure right shouldn't be too bad, just use the right mouse button and drag your head around on PC or the right thumb stick (I think) on the xbox.

Juc on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Juc wrote: »
    Why is there so much trouble with heads? I mean unless what you see in the preview isn't what you see in-game.

You should be able to rotate shepard's head to see how it looks from a number of angles, so getting the structure right shouldn't be too bad, just use the right mouse button and drag your head around on PC or the right thumb stick (I think) on the xbox.

The lighting in the face maker can throw you off. And you don't get a full range of motion either, they should have made it where you can rotate it any way you want, and select through lighting choices to see it in different settings.

Because I've had the same problem. Made a face, get to the first cutscene and you see it from an angle you didn't really see in the maker, and it turns out your jaw is sunken in and your cheekbones are daggers.

And then faces always look weird in the Squad screen.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    edited March 2010

The angles don't work in some lighting.

I know I accidentally gave my Femshep a MJ nose once because it looked okay during the CC.

But in action...my goodness.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I think it's a combination of until you see them making faces, in a full 360 and a variety of lighting conditions the limited angles, neutral expression and lighting conditions can mask weird peaks and valleys.

And people who fail to realise that extremity is almost always the opposite of beauty.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Who the hell designed this savegame import thing? This is some amateur hour crap holding me back from gaming.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Do what I do and make hideous faces on purpose, no matter what happens it's an improvement of some sort.

Juc on
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Who the hell designed this savegame import thing? This is some amateur hour crap holding me back from gaming.
    Well first the DLC could not have easily fit on the discs and second what?

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Do what I do and make hideous faces on purpose, no matter what happens it's an improvement of some sort.

This turns it from a bug of sorts into an unintended feature.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Goomba wrote: »
    Yeah I'm not sure what his problem is at this point.

Mei Hikari on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm guessing Save Game importing is a lot more difficult on PC.

Also I do know that if you have multiple playthroughs for the same name, it is hard to time which one is which.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Mei Hikari wrote: »

It does take a while. It also seems like you can edit and change things more initially. And if you cancel it it goes through the whole deal again.

The fact that it seems to take ages to do anything and lacks indication of recognition of input confuses you as to whether you pressed a button and there's a delay, in which case you probably just overpressed and will skip forward further than you wish, or it's not something taht you can select and you're wasting your time.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    the biggest problem is not being able to see how the face moves. You also can't really look at the face from very many angles compared to the variety of "camera" work and lighting that goes on in the actual game.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Mei Hikari wrote: »

It does take a while. It also seems like you can edit and change things more initially. And if you cancel it it goes through the whole deal again.

The fact that it seems to take ages to do anything and lacks indication of recognition of input confuses you as to whether you pressed a button and there's a delay, in which case you probably just overpressed and will skip forward further than you wish, or it's not something taht you can select and you're wasting your time.
    Worked fine on the 360.

Mei Hikari on
  • Options
    EnbotEnbot Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Egos wrote: »
    sidenote: They really need to work on making the very fist actions not look cheesy.

Like evil clenching fist
    or Knuckle Grinding fist in other hand

I enjoyed Grunt's super-eager jumping-while-punching-fist-into-other-palm action.

Enbot on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

i think i'd also like an ability to move the light source somehow, so shepard doesn't end up with mirandaface

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

looks like somebody's a pc scrub trying to big it up with the console masta race

Nuzak on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

abe_simpson.gif

"Bitch, bitch, bitch!"

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Are the hand actions mo-capped? My guess is no since I imagine it would be a fairly complicated effort to accurately grab all the fingers, which is probably why it comes out seeming "off".

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Nuzak wrote: »

i think i'd also like an ability to move the light source somehow, so shepard doesn't end up with mirandaface

The angles you can view it at are also extremely binary. You can turn and tilt the head in four directions, but it can only be turned and tilted in those four directions and always only to the same degree.

It makes it a huge pain to get some features right and the others require trial and error to figure out whether you should actually touch them or not and that varies with facial structure. What I have to do for some features, like cheeks and cheekbones is to constantly bounce the head back and forth so I can see those features at angles in between looking completely in one direction and looking straight ahead because aside from that movement from one state to another, there just is no in between.

Plus, most faces you make that differ too much from a narrow set of features and settings tends to look surprisingly weird and even the best faces look wrong from the wrong angles and in the wrong lighting.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    get a job

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, well, maybe I'll just make ugly faces. What do you think of that, Nuzak? Maybe I'll just do that.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    algorhythm3.14algorhythm3.14 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    YO!

A long ass time ago, someone posted a neat chart/table of the Mass Effect Missions, Assignments, and Decisions that was very useful for building a save to bring into Mas Effect 2. I can't find it, anyone know where that at?

algorhythm3.14 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    well seeing as i made the best looking shepard, all faces by comparison are now ugly

you can do no better

fall in line or be crushed, etc

Nuzak on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Speaking of faces.

1287793-jacob.jpg

As Joker would say: "What the shit?"

Seriously, there's a huge disparity between those two images. They look nothing alike. Except for the fact that they're both, ya know, black dudes.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Speaking of faces.

1287793-jacob.jpg

As Joker would say: "What the shit?"

Seriously, there's a huge disparity between those two images. They look nothing alike. Except for the fact that they're both, ya know, black dudes.

kanye-west-2%5B1%5D.jpg

Dox the PI on
This discussion has been closed.