Options

24: Day 6: Jack Goes For The Throat

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2007
    and the VP is kinda a dick

If there's one thing I've learned from watching 24, it's that the VP is always a dick.

Also, I'm very pleased with Tom Lennox's (sp?) character. I think he's the most interesting on the show right now. He's sort of a dick, but he still has a conscience, and is genuinely torn between his desire to do what's best for the country (even if his ideas on that are really, really bad), and his desire to do the right thing, even though the right thing would probably just result in him going to prison for something he didn't do and the real bad guys getting away with it.

He was awesome last night when
    he got out of the basement, and the first thing he said was, "These guys tried to kill the president. Place me in custody and arrest them until you can sort this out." I was all, "Fuck yeah, Lennox!"

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I thought last nights episode was a lot better than the last few.
    I attribute Jack getting caught to the fact this is his first day back after being tortured for almost 2 years in China. I mean give the guy a break, he's bound to make a mistake or two.

tofu on
  • Options
    Christ PuncherChrist Puncher Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    he was nonchalantly walking to the door for no reason, he obviously had something in mind when it exploded.

And I agree about Lennox, one of the best characters. Asad was too, shame he's dead.

Christ Puncher on
    Wii friend code: 7549 1748 0857 1681

XBL: Slimebucato
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It'll be nce to see
    the president is going to wake up and throw a wrench in the VPs plans becasue he saw Asad try to warn them about the bomb. it was quick but Asad actually jumped in front of the presdent and probably saved his life.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Ownage JonesOwnage Jones Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    tofu wrote: »
    I thought last nights episode was a lot better than the last few.
    I attribute Jack getting caught to the fact this is his first day back after being tortured for almost 2 years in China. I mean give the guy a break, he's bound to make a mistake or two.

That's how I've been seeing it. Not 100%, more like 80%.

But by the end of the season, I expect to see him back in Season 4/5 form. Looks like that will start next ep.

Ownage Jones on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Currently playing: Infamous, Resident Evil 5
    Need to play: Shadow Complex, Uncharted 2, Ratchet and Clank: ACIT, MW2, Alpha Protocol
  • Options
    GnastyGnasty Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This season just keeps disappointing.
    Seriously, another consulate? I'm getting sick of torture scenes (nor do I think it is at all plausible that Jack is capable of torturing other people after having been in a Chinese prison for 2 years). Jack's capture was incredibly lazy. And if the VP isn't part of the conspiracy, he is one of the biggest douche bags ever (well, he'd be that if he was part of the conspiracy, but still). Oh, and I really wish that had gotten rid of Morris last episode.

There seem to be very little good things about this season. Logan was promising, but I think his part was rather disappointing this episode. Tom Lennox is a good character, and hopefully Karen Hayes shakes things up. Also, I'm hoping that the VP's racist legislation will screw over Nadia and add some drama at CTU.

Next episode could be good though...a new character is being introduced, and Martha Logan might (might) make things interesting.

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I agree that the show is getting pretty bad. Jack, counterterrorist agent extraordinair, takes the consol hostage and when he has the info he needs just tries to WALK OUT THE DOOR, when he knows people are on the other side?

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    To be fair there was no way out. Which he should have realized. Why the fuck didn't he just call the info in first?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    GnastyGnasty Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    To be fair there was no way out. Which he should have realized. Why the fuck didn't he just call the info in first?
    Because the writer decided that the Russian consulate was infested with stupid. I mean, seriously, after Jack gets himself captured and convinces the Russian guy to betray his country, he decides to do it right in front of one another Russian guy

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • Options
    Christ PuncherChrist Puncher Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    He didn't try to walk out the door. He was just walking towards it.

Christ Puncher on
    Wii friend code: 7549 1748 0857 1681

XBL: Slimebucato
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah. Mad stupid.

But hey (preview spoiler)
    Aaron Pierce is back... and with Logan's wife. Bow-chicka bow.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    DuckterPepperDuckterPepper Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    i first liked the fact that Jack screws up finally, but it was indeed very lazy writing. And i can't stand that tortiuring anymore, it's just not realistic. there is NO WAY you can just break into a consulate and cut off fingers from diplomats. THAT is terrorism and even Jack knows he will cause more war with such a move than to prevent damage... Even more so when all he got is a HUNCH from a traitor in the first place! COME'ON!! And i liked the fact he couldn't torture that guy in episode 2 or 3, THAT was good writing (the one where Asad poked the guys' knee) because it was plausible after 2 years of torturing. Where did that go? Where did that Jack go that wanted to quit and cried??? i want to see THAT season. Jack struggeling, not being the superagent anymore like usual.

The attack on the chinese consulate the other season was plausible and planned and under cover, this was just plain stupid. Damn, i am SO dissapointed from this season.

DuckterPepper on
    DuckterPepper

duckterpepper.png
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    That jack died when he killed curtis and then moments later watched a nuclear bomb detonate inside city limits

Al_wat on
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    They have been this sloppy before.

When the plot demanded that Jack be subdued for the introduction of his father... He was taken down like a little girl.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    HOLY CRAP!

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    HOLY CRAP!

Oh come on I saw that a mile away

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    HOLY CRAP!

I have to admit, this time I didn't. I thought she would throw the plate of food at him or something. I certainly didn't expect THAT.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    HOLY CRAP!

I have to admit, this time I didn't. I thought she would throw the plate of food at him or something. I certainly didn't expect THAT.

That's what I thought too. It was pretty crazy.

I must just be bad at 24. Every time something surprises me, there are already 10 people on the forums saying they saw it coming.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    HOLY CRAP!

That's what I thought too. It was pretty crazy.

I must just be bad at 24. Every time something surprises me, there are already 10 people on the forums saying they saw it coming.

I was expecting it from the point that she started
    Chopping kiwi

Good episode. Aside from
    Lennox losing his balls.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    ikillkennyikillkenny Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've found now that I stop paying attention to 24 as much when it's on the episodes are much more enjoyable. I start to no longer care about the terrible dialogue, the awful plot holes, basically antying that goes on at CTU, and only really pay attention when the show gets interesting. In the end the only thing you're really missing is the frustrating parts of 24.

ikillkenny on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I'm disliking how they dropped the father plot like a sack of potatoes

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm disliking how they dropped the father plot like a sack of potatoes

It'll come back. I'm actually not missing it, because I thought that particular plotline sucked hairy donkey cock.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2007
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Good episode. Aside from
    Lennox losing his balls.

I expect him to find them again. At any rate, look at his options:

1.) He stands firm and tells the truth. The VP throws him to the wolves amd he winds up in prison, the real assassins get off scott free, Veep probably tells the exact same story to the premier and bullies some other guy into lying anyway.

2.) He lies. He remains on the staff, where he can push to have the real assassins prosecuted, he gets to enact the policies he believes are necessary to the security of the nation, and he can try to direct the Veep's hand to keep him on the level.

It's not really an obvious choice either way, since doing the "right thing" could very well just make everything worse.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Plus Powers Boothe is a scary motherfucker.

Also, Ricky Schroeder is a total dick.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

And he has the same haircut he's had for 25 years.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Good episode. Aside from
    Lennox losing his balls.

I expect him to find them again. At any rate, look at his options:

1.) He stands firm and tells the truth. The VP throws him to the wolves amd he winds up in prison, the real assassins get off scott free, Veep probably tells the exact same story to the premier and bullies some other guy into lying anyway.

2.) He lies. He remains on the staff, where he can push to have the real assassins prosecuted, he gets to enact the policies he believes are necessary to the security of the nation, and he can try to direct the Veep's hand to keep him on the level.

It's not really an obvious choice either way, since doing the "right thing" could very well just make everything worse.

I think he's going to stab the veep in the back eventually. He's bideing his time until he can get something solid

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Someone should make a flipbook of Ricky faceshots throughout the years. His face would slowly sag while his hair remains exactly the same.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Spoilery stuff for Future Eps to answer some questions people have...

I warn you now, some of these spoilers are huge, some not so huge. So read at your own risk and whatnot.

Family Plot:
    Marilyn is back next episode, and somebody with the surname Bauer (most likely daddy Bauer) is set to die late in the season. The plot's not over with - it's just backbenching for now.

Lennox's Balls
    ...will make a return soon. At least in part. Next episode Karen is back in the bunker at last and they agree to work together even though they hate each other because they know the Vice Prez is on the warpath and needs to be stopped.

Jack, Love and China: (Warning: Big, BIG spoilers heading right through to the end of the season)
    Audrey will be back soon. Supposedly (not 100% on this) she went to China after they realised they had Jack - she tried to get him back, used her father and all the diplomatic channels etc. The chinese faked a car crash and everybody thinks that she's dead when in fact she's been captured. There'll be some major misdirection saying she's died next episode - but it's not true. I'm not 100% on this because it seems like such a ludicrous idea, but... that's what I've been told. Natually, this goes along with comments from the writers saying the Chinese angle is not finished. The Chinese plan to use Audrey against Jack, and that's why they captured her in the first place. China are going to ask Jack to steal some of the codes/specifications from the nukes to steal secrets from Russia that they couldn't get before. Jack will naturally comply and go against CTU's authority.

Oh, and stuff about Wayne:
    Wayne will indeed wake up and start to fuck up the Vice President's plans, but he's going to be in critical condition. At one point he's going to litereally wake up... revoke an order the VP just gave, and pass out again. Eventually, the VP tries to pass the 25th ammendment. Sandra Palmer will be back soon, helping Karen Hayes and Tom Lennox in some capacity.

So.. there you have it. This season is really picking up for me now, and I'm really beginning to enjoy it. Not as much as S5, but you can't win them all.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    DuckterPepperDuckterPepper Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So.. there you have it. This season is really picking up for me now, and I'm really beginning to enjoy it. Not as much as S5, but you can't win them all.

i agree, ep 13 was back on track again. but that damn father story is still buggin me, and it's not over yet foshizzle...

DuckterPepper on
    DuckterPepper

duckterpepper.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    And how do you know this stuff?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I mod on a 24 community that have proven spoiler-providers there that have been there since about S4. They're trustworthy guys; one posted parts of this week's script word for word months ago, though I didn't read that one until last week myself. Sadly I have to mod a lot of it and therefore have been spoiled into oblivion this season. Bleh.

How those guys get their information I don't know. It's a don't ask don't tell situation, really, because they'd get in trouble - all I know is most of them have never been wrong, and those who have only by a little bit. People have to prove themselves before they're counted in the "spoiler" forum anyway.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    OH shits.
    Audrey!

VishNub on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Jack, Love and China: (Warning: Big, BIG spoilers heading right through to the end of the season)
    Audrey will be back soon. Supposedly (not 100% on this) she went to China after they realised they had Jack - she tried to get him back, used her father and all the diplomatic channels etc. The chinese faked a car crash and everybody thinks that she's dead when in fact she's been captured. There'll be some major misdirection saying she's died next episode - but it's not true. I'm not 100% on this because it seems like such a ludicrous idea, but... that's what I've been told. Natually, this goes along with comments from the writers saying the Chinese angle is not finished. The Chinese plan to use Audrey against Jack, and that's why they captured her in the first place. China are going to ask Jack to steal some of the codes/specifications from the nukes to steal secrets from Russia that they couldn't get before. Jack will naturally comply and go against CTU's authority.

Given the past episode, I went ahead and read this. Still massive spoilers for people who care more than I do.
    I didn't get how they could try to pass Audrey off as dead - wasn't she SHOWN in some of the promos for this season?

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Holy shit, what the hell is wrong with Powers Boothe?
    Is there such a thing as a psychological compulsion to nuke someone?

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm glad they dropped the father plot. That was just a clusterfuck of bad writing.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Ricky and the VP are the only new characters this year that I have enjoyed watching at all. Palmer is the worst actor the series has ever had, Milo I hope gets his head blown off immediately and his Muslim ladyfren is just as bad. Thank goodness Palmer's sister has a small part. Any more of her and I may not watch the show any more. Big fan but I'm really not enjoying this season at all so far.

LA scenes are getting boring as well. LA or cities nearby always the target. <yawn> I know they do it because that's where the tv studios are but it's getting old.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    so that whole thing with the guy in the camp was a huge timewasting excercise huh?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    so that whole thing with the guy in the camp was a huge timewasting excercise huh?

The sub-plot that annoys me the most is Morris' latent alcoholism. So the guy who was tortured into giving the terrorists a weapon that could kill millions might want to drink? Oh...no?

I don't mind the new Palmer, but that might be a general positive feeling towards Buffy alumni. I do occasionally laugh at how being the president can't be that bad, compared to working on the Hellmouth.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    The problem I have with Palmer is he's too damn young. The actor's 37! He'd be hands-down the youngest president in history! And his only known prior political experience was a run as his brother's Chief of Staff that was only for something like a year or two. Really stretching my suspension of disbelief with that (and I say this even considering all the crazy, over-the-top shit that happens on this show).

EDIT: Now that I think about it, he was also involved in all that shit that made David drop out of his reelection in the first place. Could he really have gotten that many "sorry-your-brother-got-shot" votes?

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    young palmer is far too melodramatic in my eyes. he looks like he is an actor trying to remember the death of his dog when he was 7 so he can come up with some tears. he cant sell me on the suspension of belief that america would actually vote for a guy like that, even if his brother got killed.

i agree with give Morris a break. The dude HAD A DRILL GOING INTO HIS SHOULDER BLADE. sure, check him for booze but not every 30 minutes please.

thing i thought of this year last night...in the fake world that is 24 would you EVER live in such a shitty, dangerous country? i'd move anywhere but here with the 100% chance that your next pres will be knocked off or something is going to blow up.

i may whine about the show but its still better than 95%+ of all television.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748