As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Rock Sugar Band - "Because Pop Rocks"

XiaNaphryzXiaNaphryz Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Social Entropy++
Rock Sugar is a cover band that mashes together different singles into one track. When you see what they try to do, none of this should work (let alone make any sense), but for some reason it does. In awesome fashion.

RockSugarBand.com

band.jpg

Here's the "backstory" of the group. :lol:
80’S METAL BAND “ROCK SUGAR” RESCUED AFTER 20 YEARS ON DESERTED ISLAND. BRAINWASHED AND CONFUSED, ROCKERS RETURN TO HOLLYWOOD WITH A SHOCKING NEW MUSICAL STYLE.

1989 should have been the best year ever for Rock Sugar, the big haired heavy metal band that had just broken the top 41 on the rock radio charts with their solid brass debut album “Bang You Like A Drum”. But instead of headlining concerts, Rock Sugar made the headlines when they were presumed lost forever after playing an extremely ill advised gig celebrating the bat mitzvah of 13-year-old Lisa Rosenberg.

The show was performed miles out to sea aboard the private luxury yacht of Lisa’s father, schnapps millionaire Schlomo Rosenberg. Assuming that Rock Sugar was some innocent boy band, Schlomo had no idea who they actually were or what they actually sounded like. He only knew from his extremely spoiled daughter that they were “really cute” and he figured that must mean she would love their music. She didn’t, and judging from the stunned expressions on their faces, neither did her prepubescent little friends.

Shortly after the chorus of Rock Sugar’s second song “Nail You Like A Hammer”, a drunken and violent brawl broke out involving the band, the rabbi, a clown, the captain, a guy in an Smurf costume, Schlomo and well over a hundred infuriated and now thoroughly sexually confused children. In the midst of the fight, as Jesse, the lead singer, was pummeling the Smurf and no one was steering the damned ship anymore, it struck an undersea stone wall. As the boat was sinking, the extremely unhappy and now yacht less Schlomo refused to let Rock Sugar climb aboard the life rafts to safety.

Having been denied rescue, the band credit their miraculous ability to make it to the shore alive only because of their firmly held belief that “sharks don’t eat metal”. Left to their own extremely questionable survival skills, Rock Sugar managed to salvage several items from the sunken yacht. In addition to their instruments, they retrieved a hot pink battery powered boom box covered with stickers of Hello Kitty, a crate of batteries, 158 cases of schnapps and numerous articles of teenage girls clothing, most of which the band admit to trying on and several pieces of which apparently fit and looked “pretty frickin’ awesome”. But things got worse when the horrified rockers discovered that the only music available for them to listen to was little Lisa Rosenberg’s very pop, very 13 year-old girl’s, very ‘80’s CD collection.

And so, the hardcore degenerate heavy metal members of Rock Sugar spent the last two decades stuck on an island with nothing to do but drink schnapps, catch hard to digest wildlife, befriend monkeys and dream of their long lost groupies while listening only to, and being slowly and systematically brainwashed by, every favorite pop song of a 1980’s preteen girl. Bored, full of schnapps and wasting away on a tropical oasis, they built a stage out of driftwood, bamboo shoots and tree sap and got to work. Against the odds, Rock Sugar was alive… and they were practicing.

Fast forward twenty years when a tuna boat with a screwed up compass discovered a group of long haired castaways on a deserted island far out in the middle of the Pacific. Finally rescued and now violently thrown back into the real life of present day Los Angeles, and with absolutely no clue whatsoever of anything that’s happened, developed or changed in the world since 1989, Rock Sugar is back and ready to electrify audiences with their brand new, razor sharp, psychotically original sound.

The first twenty years of their lives spent listening to heavy metal followed by a twenty year forced diet of little girl pop, their own influences have permanently collided with the unknowingly very influential 13-year-old Lisa Rosenberg. And now Rock Sugar is performing “re-imaginings” of the world’s favorite songs in ways that the world has never even dreamed of. Twenty years of what started with a shipwreck and turned into history’s longest reluctant rehearsal has paid off and the band, as well as the wild originality of what they have created, are beyond belief or explanation.

But while you may be able to at last take the metal band off the deserted island, apparently you can’t take 20 years of exposure to 80’s pop out of the metal band. Prepare to have the line between pop and metal blown to smithereens and pour yourself a shot of Rock Sugar.

Because Pop Rocks.
Rock Sugar Band trailer - Shook Me Like A Prayer (AC/DC / Madonna)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiLWhdJ-x-Q&fmt=22

A few samples of their tracks:

Don't Stop The Sandman Official Video (Metallica/Journey)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr4HffbAUTk&fmt=22

Here Comes The Fool You Wanted (Bon Jovi / Eurythmics)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KDuj7PC1fA&fmt=18

Shook Me Like A Prayer (AC/DC / Madonna)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpNrqxBWxQM&fmt=18]

Prayin' For A Sweet Weekend (Bon Jovi / Loverboy / Guns & Roses)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw6hwWcsBqM&fmt=18

Voices in the Jungle (Guns & Roses / Til Tuesday)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQyPjIe1yPQ&fmt=18

Straight to Rock City (KISS / Paula Abdul) :lol::lol::lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ita4xSr7teY&fmt=18

Heaven and Heaven (Warrant / Bryan Adams)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vXI8WmuN2Y&fmt=18

And their "Reimaginator" complete album listing:

DON’T STOP THE SANDMAN
WE WILL KICKSTART YOUR RHAPSODY
CRAZY GIRL
VOICES IN THE JUNGLE
HERE COMES THE FOOL YOU WANTED
SHOOK ME LIKE A PRAYER
STRAIGHT TO ROCK CITY
PRAYIN’ FOR A SWEET WEEKEND
HEAVEN AND HEAVEN
BREAKIN’ THE LOVE
I LOVE SUGAR ON ME
ROUND AND SEPARATED
DREAMING OF A WHOLE LOTTA BREAKFAST

Currently the album's only for sale on their website via Paypal. They really need to get onto iTunes or Amazon or something.

XiaNaphryz on

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'd kind of rather talk about Gorillaz

Clint Eastwood on
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Cloudman wrote: »
    I'd kind of rather talk about Gorillaz

I'd love to

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • <3<3 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I like anything with Journey in it.

<3 on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Their new album is really good! I can't stop listening to it! Rhinestone Eyes, oh man, I can't get that chorus out of my head. It's been stuck there all fucking day

Clint Eastwood on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited March 2010
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Cloudman wrote: »
    Their new album is really good! I can't stop listening to it! Rhinestone Eyes, oh man, I can't get that chorus out of my head. It's been stuck there all fucking day

Empire Ants is better, imo.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
    edited March 2010
    I really like Glitter Freeze and Some Kind of Nature! The album is probably the strongest right after Superfast Jellyfish, but I like Stylo a bunch, too!

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2010
    I can't find a bum track on the thing

I guess Glitter Freeze is kind of meandering but all of their albums have had a track like that near the middle of the listing

pirate jet, pirate jet, pirate jet, pirate jet

Clint Eastwood on
    edited March 2010
    Cloud of Unknowing is a little boring, but Bobby Womack's voice is there for me

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Don't Stop the Sandman was phenomenal. And sometimes Jess Harnell slips into Wakko voice, and it's jarring and delightful.

Dex Dynamo on
  • XiaNaphryzXiaNaphryz Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    Don't Stop the Sandman was phenomenal. And sometimes Jess Harnell slips into Wakko voice, and it's jarring and delightful.

He should do a version of each song in Wakko voice, ideally with the other Animaniac voices as backup.

XiaNaphryz on
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

I have only listened to Don't Stop the Sandman and I was entirely unimpressed

it's a carbon copy cover of Don't Stop Believin with a different verse guitar pattern

that is not what a mashup is

#pipe on
  • GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    They should have called themselves Limozeen.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Crazy LarryCrazy Larry Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    #pipe wrote: »

I have only listened to Don't Stop the Sandman and I was entirely unimpressed

it's a carbon copy cover of Don't Stop Believin with a different verse guitar pattern

that is not what a mashup is

Gotta agree with this. They're just a glorified cover band doing note for note covers of 80's hits, except they change which song they're covering mid-song. Maybe if they actually, you know, mix and matched parts from different songs so that were actually playing pieces of different songs simultaneously it'd be interesting, but this feels pretty lazy.

Crazy Larry on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    GSM wrote: »
    They should have called themselves Limozeen.

ahahahaha

:^:

Abracadaniel on
  • GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I too dislike "mashups" that just cut back and forth every verse, but "we will kickstart your rhapsody" is actually a good one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA23v2xrUbo

...except that they start lazily cutting between the two at the end.:x

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    don't like these guys

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2010
    I too dislike "mashups" that just cut back and forth every verse, but "we will kickstart your rhapsody" is actually a good one.

Yeah this is pretty good

the other ones not so much

(I only listened to Don't Stop the Sandman)

edit: nm Straight to Rock City is awesome

Garlic Bread on
  • CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I love "Straight Up," so I'm partial to a hilarious meedley-weedley-mee guitar version of it.

CowShark on
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    okay Don't Stop the Sandman was garbage but Straight to Rock City is pretty fucking good

YaYa on
  • Filler Inc.Filler Inc. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hey, so the lead vocalist was the voice of wakko on animaniacs and a whole bunch of other well known voice over work.

Sweet side gig.

Filler Inc. on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

In that slideshow, it's like the guy had a rule where he had to cut in eight pictures of girls in bikinis on muscle cars to counter every time he showed Freddy Mercury.

NotASenator on
  • DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Can we talk about Beatallica here? Is that a thing we can do?

Like this...

...and this.

DE?AD on
  • Run Run RunRun Run Run __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010

god, I hate performance art so much

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
  • GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Druhim wrote: »
    don't like these guys

Dru has both beauty and wisdom.

GRMike on
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I like these mashup things, but I like weird music regardless

Q-Unit, mashup of Queen and 50 Cent

JoeUser on
  • GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Edit: That was not the Jay-Zeezer I thought it was.

GRMike on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2010
    JoeUser wrote: »

this is great

Garlic Bread on
    edited March 2010
    Keith wrote: »

this is great

You can get mp3s of all their songs here

I like Under Pressure All the Time the best

JoeUser on
    edited March 2010
    JoeUser's got some hood in him!

Garlic Bread on
  • celandinecelandine Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Metallica and Journey. What could be better?

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
    edited March 2010
    celandine wrote: »
    Metallica and Journey. What could be better?

anything else

Garlic Bread on
  • Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

this is great

Didn't the same guy do some other mashup album with Coldplay and...?

Recoil42 on
    edited March 2010
    Also we can't really have a mashup thread without Grey Album, can we?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3VVykEt37c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7OyoEgR1bo

Recoil42 on
    edited March 2010
    edited March 2010
    Recoil42 wrote: »

this is great

Didn't the same guy do some other mashup album with Coldplay and...?

Hmm, not that I've seen. It's The Silence Xperiment (aka DJ !)

JoeUser on
    edited March 2010
    Garlic Bread on
    edited March 2010
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Abracadaniel on
    edited March 2010
    Garlic Bread on