Options

The Fitness Thread

• Options
    varlandvarland Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Thanatos wrote:
    Sanius, if you're in high school, you should be pretty careful about dieting. Your body may still be developing, so make sure you're getting enough nutrients, balanced meals, etc. You don't want to fuck yourself up for life.
    A slow weight loss should not pose any health threats at all, heck, it should improve his future life significantly.

What are you referring to when you say "fuck yourself up for life"?
    EDIT: Out of curiousity of course. There are lots of myths rampaging around this specific scene. :)

varland on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    varland wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    Sanius, if you're in high school, you should be pretty careful about dieting. Your body may still be developing, so make sure you're getting enough nutrients, balanced meals, etc. You don't want to fuck yourself up for life.
    A slow weight loss should not pose any health threats at all, heck, it should improve his future life significantly.

EDIT: Out of curiousity of course. There are lots of myths rampaging around this specific scene. :)
    Deficiencies in certain nutrients can cause you to have problems later on down the road (iron and calcium come immediately to mind, though those are bigger worries for women than men). It's not going to kill you, but can cause long-term health problems.

And I'm not speaking of a "slow weight loss," which should be safe; I'm speaking of, like, starvation diets.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Thanatos wrote:
    varland wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:

Deficiencies in certain nutrients can cause you to have problems later on down the road (iron and calcium come immediately to mind, though those are bigger worries for women than men). It's not going to kill you, but can cause long-term health problems.

And I'm not speaking of a "slow weight loss," which should be safe; I'm speaking of, like, starvation diets.
    Ah, allright.

varland on
  • Options
    leftrightleftright Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    6' 220 isn't...fat, unless you are fat (if you get what I'm saying). Anyway I'd say with a clean diet with some nice heavy compound movements for a while, once you've got some quality muscle dieting down will make you look good nekkid.

I don't like the taste of protein bars usually, sometimes ill eat a balance bar or a metabolic drive bar (probably can't get those in a gas station though).

leftright on
  • Options
    SaniusSanius Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Heavy compound movements? What exactly are those? Also, yes, I am fat. 220 at 6 foot would be good if I were like, you know, buff, but no, sadly. :P

Sanius on
  • Options
    PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sanius wrote:
    Heavy compound movements? What exactly are those?

Heavy just means the weight is high enough to where you can only do 3-5 reps.

A good bit on compound movements...
    A compound exercise is one that involves more than one muscle - the standing press is a good example, involving the major muscles of the shoulder girdle and the upper arms, the trapezoids, the deltoids, the upper (minor) pectorals, and the triceps; the bench press is a bad example - although it too involves several muscles, the deltoids, the triceps, and the pectorals.

The standing press is a good example because it provides good - if not quite direct - workloads for several major muscles; the bench press is a bad example because it provides reasonably direct work only for the anterior portion of the deltoids, and a lower order of even less direct work for the triceps and pectorals - the primary problem with the bench press apparently being that of direction of movement, the resistance is being moved in a direction that is almost never encountered in any sort of normal activity - and thus the body has never developed great strength for movements in that direction.

...snip...

As a general rule, exercises should be selected that involve several major muscular masses of the body in a compound movement - and where a choice exists, such exercises should involve the greatest possible range of movement. That is one of the main faults in the bench press; the range of movement is too restricted.

If a proper selection of exercises is made, then only a few movements are required to develop almost the ultimate degree of strength and muscular size. The best barbell exercises?

In no particular order, they are - squats, stiff legged deadlifts, standing presses, heavy barbell curls and some form of pullover, either stiff-armed or bent-armed.

If other equipment is provided - as it should be - then these can be supplemented with various forms of chinning movements and parallel dips.

In the vast majority of cases, the best results will be produced by the employment of from four to six of the above exercises - but if all of the above exercises are being used in the same workout, then not more than two sets of each exercise should be employed, three times weekly.

All of these exercises are heavy movements - if performed properly - and too many sets of such exercises will lead to a condition of overworking; results will still be produced if such overwork is not carried to extremes, but far better results will occur much more quickly if a properly designed training program is provided.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/cyberpump39.htm

Lastly Sanius, if you're still in highschool you should take a sport. I don't care what because anything will help you get in better shape. I'd suggest wrestling, football or soccer.

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited January 2007
    Doing some running or biking should help out more than weight training (but do that too!). Honestly if you're 220 pounds, just cutting out soda and eating good food in reasonable portions should have the weight falling off, especially if you stay active. I lost about ten pounds (which I'm told was water weight) in about two weeks without doing anything drastic.

Tube on
  • Options
    LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascism Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Can someone recommend some excersie programm for me?

I am pretty much out of shape because I haven't done any serious sports in years.

I am 30 years old and I am pretty tall (1,97 m) and weigh about 100 kilos.
    I also smoke so my constitution is not too good.

I did lots of sports when I was younger, so I am not totally unaccustomed to training excercises.

I got a pair of adjustable dumbbells, max weight would be around 28 pound each.
    I also got a stepper and a hometrainer(bike).

So what would be a sensible training schedule? In the past I often started with too many excercises right away which led to muscle aches and made me stop for days.

Librarian on
  • Options
    SaniusSanius Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Doing some running or biking should help out more than weight training (but do that too!). Honestly if you're 220 pounds, just cutting out soda and eating good food in reasonable portions should have the weight falling off, especially if you stay active. I lost about ten pounds (which I'm told was water weight) in about two weeks without doing anything drastic.
    Haha, I was 230 two months ago, and I cut off soda and the like and dropped ten pounds very quickly, probably would be at about 210 now but only about two weeks ago have I had a real steady exercise routine.

Sanius on
  • Options
    StarfuckStarfuck Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    It should also be noted that the link PirateJon provided is an Arthur Jones article and Arthur Jones is a god damn strength training legend.

I'm going to go ahead and say, that if you are training at home, with only those things available to you, you might want to look into training with the db's like kettlebells. 28 lbs each isn't much though and won't last too long.
    Maybe invest in some more db weights if you want to stay working out at home.

If you want to work out at home on the cheap, look into sandbag training. Buy an old army surplus duffel bag, some trash bags and about 100 or so lbs of sand from home depot and go to town.

Some quick searches brings these links up
    http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/291/

p&b is a great site and they have a great old thread on sandbag training
    http://powerandbulk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4805&highlight=sand+bags

and i'm actually going to link a t-nation article, god forgive me
    http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=05-184-training
    but it lists some old school exercises that are fun as hell
    at my old gym, the owner found some truck tires in the alley and brought a couple in and they were routinely used as finishers for a lot of the members in the alley. they will kick your ass

what i'm saying is. if you want to train at home, you might want to consider it. i do sandbag workouts a couple of times a week between my gym workouts or even replace a gym workout with sandbags

Starfuck on
    jackfaces
    "If you're going to play tiddly winks, play it with man hole covers."
    - John McCallum
  • Options
    LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascism Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Thanks, yeah a gym would be nice but is not an option right now, so some old fashioned excercises I can do at home would be best.

Librarian on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Librarian wrote:
    Thanks, yeah a gym would be nice but is not an option right now, so some old fashioned excercises I can do at home would be best.
    One-legged squats, regular squats, piggy-back squats, push-ups, one-armed push-ups, fingertip push-ups, knuckle push-ups, pull-ups, one armed-pullups, handstanding shoulder push-ups, etc, etc...

These are all excersizes you can do at home, with varied resistances (if regular, basic squats are too easy, do them on one leg -- really works your balance as well).

varland on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Librarian wrote:
    So what would be a sensible training schedule? In the past I often started with too many excercises right away which led to muscle aches and made me stop for days.

Stop smoking (duh). Do 3 x 10 of the heaviest weight you can do without failure of a military press, bench press (you can use dumbbells, it's fine) squats and deadlifts on monday, wednesday and friday. Have a jog or a bike ride on your off days, or swim. Or just generally be more active, anything will make a difference. Stop eating shit, and stop drinking anything with more than 0 calories in. Seriously, the weight will fall off.

You're going to be sore for your first week, maybe two. So sore you can't move your arms above your head. It goes away, trust me.

Tube on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ok, I would like a simple exercise plan that I can do at home (I don't have easy access to a gym).

While I'm not grossly overweight I am terribly out of shape. I can do 5 sit-ups before it starts to really burn, so I thought maybe I'd do several reps of 5 throughout the day and slowly (very slowly) work up to 2 sets of 20 each day.

Right now I just want to find things that can help slowly burn fat off. Also, running is definately an option.

Magus` on
  • Options
    CatnipCatCatnipCat Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    A good alternative to running is jumping rope. You don't even need to go outside to do it. Plus, it's not as hard on your knees as running is, and your body weight is supported on both legs instead of one.

It's not only great cardio but also helps your agility and timing.

CatnipCat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    A lot of the more knowledgeable people here seem to be forgetting that we're mostly talking to rank beginners. Eating better, simple bodyweight exercises, and daily walks are usually enough to get them where they want to be. This requires no extra equipment, no researching movements or whatever.

Recommending people instantly go from being inactive to doing hard cardio and big lifts is a recipe for frustration, failure, injury.
    Magus` wrote:
    Ok, I would like a simple exercise plan that I can do at home (I don't have easy access to a gym).

While I'm not grossly overweight I am terribly out of shape. I can do 5 sit-ups before it starts to really burn, so I thought maybe I'd do several reps of 5 throughout the day and slowly (very slowly) work up to 2 sets of 20 each day.

Right now I just want to find things that can help slowly burn fat off. Also, running is definately an option.
    No. What will happen if you just do the number you can do already several times a day? Nothing at all. As far as your body cares, it can do what you're asking already so no (or very little) adaptation is needed. A better plan would be to do 20 in a row with you resting just enough to finish your set. Even better would then be to rest 5 minutes, then do that 1 or 2 more times.

now as for a good simple plan - check out the first level of the 20 level fitness plan from http://bodyweightculture.com. Their registration system is retarded, but the info and workouts in the forum are very good.

Request... I can't for the life of me find "hungarian get-ups" online. Possibly the wrong name. The exersise starts with you laying down with a barbell held in one hand then pressing the barbell overhead as you stand up. Any one know bout it bout it?

PirateJon on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    A problem I find myself running into as far as diet goes is I hit my calorie intake level (~2,000) much faster than I get full.

Like, I've already hit it and I'm *starving*. And no, I'm not eating junk food. I'm eating what can be considered to be fairly filling food, and yet it's like I have to over-eat in order to feel full.

What can I do?

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Eat smaller meals throughout the day, spaced out by 3 hours.

Seriously, you don't need to feel full, just not be hungry. Also, after you take a mouthful, put your knife and fork down and chew it properly. You might just be eating too fast, so your brain isn't registering that you're full.

OR you could work out really hard, and eat as much (good stuff) as you like.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Eat smaller meals throughout the day, spaced out by 3 hours.

Seriously, you don't need to feel full, just not be hungry. Also, after you take a mouthful, put your knife and fork down and chew it properly. You might just be eating too fast, so your brain isn't registering that you're full.

OR you could work out really hard, and eat as much (good stuff) as you like.

Let me clarify. I don't mind not feeling full, but even if I eat slowly (and chew chew chew) I still have strong hunger pangs.

It's been a few hours since I last ate and I'm still hungry as ever.

Magus` on
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    What sort of exercise are you doing?

Smasher on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Smasher wrote:
    What sort of exercise are you doing?

Right now I've been doing 'stress' stretching (term I use) in which I push the joints/muscles as far as they can go and hold it.

Crunches (trying to find a better ab maker, though). I'm also gonna go jogging in a bit.

I play to get some weights for my arms soon.

If you any suggestions on top of this, let me know. Keep in mind I do NOT have easy access to a gym so it should be something I can do without machinery.

Magus` on
  • Options
    leftrightleftright Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Pirate is right about starting out slow, i think i said earlier starting out with bodyweight exercises is a good idea to get you ready for weights, if not....well i just did. Basically start slow and the gains you'll get over time will be much greater then someone who starts off going too hard.

leftright on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Ok, new problem. When I run, for some reason my throat really hurts after awhile, like it's swelling shut. I can't get any really good air in.

My legs, on the other hand, don't get tired for awhile.

I just jogged for about 2 minutes (shut up) and while my legs are a bit tingly (but far from 'spent') my throat is fucking KILLING me.

Magus` on
  • Options
    DiscGraceDiscGrace Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Magus` wrote:
    Ok, new problem. When I run, for some reason my throat really hurts after awhile, like it's swelling shut. I can't get any really good air in.

My legs, on the other hand, don't get tired for awhile.

I just jogged for about 2 minutes (shut up) and while my legs are a bit tingly (but far from 'spent') my throat is fucking KILLING me.

Talk to your doctor. You might need an anti-asthma inhaler. I used to get exercise-induced asthma when I was younger - felt like my throat was closing up - although I grew out of it for the most part in the last 6-7 years.

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Magus` wrote:
    A problem I find myself running into as far as diet goes is I hit my calorie intake level (~2,000) much faster than I get full.

Like, I've already hit it and I'm *starving*. And no, I'm not eating junk food. I'm eating what can be considered to be fairly filling food, and yet it's like I have to over-eat in order to feel full.

What can I do?

Why are you aiming for 2000 and not 1800 or 2200?

You have to be sure you have the right intake. It depends on your age / sex / height / weight / activity level / body-fat% / goal. Assuming you're aiming right what are you considering "fairly filling"? Is it mostly unprocessed veggies and whole grains? 2000 calories of steak not anything like 2000 calories of broccoli or oatmeal.

PirateJon on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    PirateJon wrote:
    Magus` wrote:

What can I do?

Why are you aiming for 2000 and not 1800 or 2200?

You have to be sure you have the right intake. It depends on your age / sex / height / weight / activity level / body-fat% / goal. Assuming you're aiming right what are you considering "fairly filling"? Is it mostly unprocessed veggies and whole grains? 2000 calories of steak not anything like 2000 calories of broccoli or oatmeal.

Well, I'm 6' 7", 253lbs. I thought 2,000 sounded like a solid number.

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Damn, no wonder you're hungry.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Though that gives different results from these two:

http://www.hpathy.com/healthtools/calories-need.asp

http://www.weightlossforgood.co.uk/calorie_intake_calculator.htm

Whichever one you believe, you're still at least 500 calories daily below the recommended weight loss level.

Smasher on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I plan to exercise daily, and the first site says I can hit as high as 3,500+ calories.

That seems a bit much, even for my height.

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    The USDA site has a pdf you can download at that link. Click on the first pdf, and go to the fifth page.

For an active 71" tall male with a BMI of 25, it recommends 3200 calories. You have both 8 inches and 3.5 BMI on top of that, so that's going to be a fair chunk more calories; I'd guesstimate 3600-3700 total, though don't quote me on that. Of course that's if you're not looking to lose weight, so you'd probably want something closer to 3000.

Also consider what your body's telling you. While it's obviously used to eating more and some hunger is to be expected for a while, in your words you're "*starving*". That's not good.

Smasher on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    What also confuses me are all these diet advice conflicts.

"GO CARBS." "AVOID ALL CARBS." "EAT MEAT.. BUT ONLY EVERY OTHER DAY."

I'd like to know what's worked for you guys. I'm cutting out all obvious 'bad' foods (junk food, fast food, sweets) but I'm still not sure what food is 'better' for me.

Magus` on
  • Options
    StarfuckStarfuck Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    If you diet, you're going to get hungry. That's why it's a diet. You're eating below maintenance. Tough it out. That's all you can do.

Starfuck on
    jackfaces
    "If you're going to play tiddly winks, play it with man hole covers."
    - John McCallum
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Since you're dieting, I assume you're going for weight loss (ie fat loss) rather than muscle building. In that case, you should be fine just going with a balanced diet. Have some meat, have some pasta, etc., all in moderation of course. Keep up your exercise program, avoid overindulging too often (once in a while won't kill you, though naturally it'll slow you down), and over the course of a few months you'll notice the fat burning away.

Smasher on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Magus` wrote:
    Well, I'm 6' 7", 253lbs. I thought 2,000 sounded like a solid number.

6'7? Christ, no wonder you're hungry, you gigantic freak of a man. Eat more, just make sure it's good food.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Smasher wrote:
    Since you're dieting, I assume you're going for weight loss (ie fat loss) rather than muscle building. In that case, you should be fine just going with a balanced diet. Have some meat, have some pasta, etc., all in moderation of course. Keep up your exercise program, avoid overindulging too often (once in a while won't kill you, though naturally it'll slow you down), and over the course of a few months you'll notice the fat burning away.

I actually do want muscle building. I don't want to be buff (ick) but I do want to be toned. Flat stomach, etc.

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    There's no such thing as tone really. If you lose fat you'll have a flat stomach, but you whole body will look better if you work out, because if you don't work out and lose fat you just look skinny and weird.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    So, until I get access to a gym I should do running/jogging, sit-ups, weight lifting (with whatever I can find) and jumping rope.

Any other suggestions?

Magus` on
  • Options
    FawkesFawkes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Better to do push-ups & pull-ups instead of weightlifting with kit not designed for it.

Fawkes on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The general rule of thumb for a balanced diet is 30/30/40. 30% of your calories from carbs, 30% from fat, and 40% from protein. If you're trying to build muscle at the same time, you're going to want more protein. Chicken and fish are probably your two best bets for getting it, with the possibility of whey protein to supplement that.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Fawkes wrote:
    Better to do push-ups & pull-ups instead of weightlifting with kit not designed for it.

Push-ups I can do, but I don't see any way to do pulls ups.

Magus` on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Carbs are fine. Carbs are necessary. Carbs are good. Highly refined carbs that get absorbed and turned into fat before you have a chance to burn them are not good. That means sugar. That means flour. Avoid these things where you can, and try to cook as many of your own meals as possible, and when you're shopping, buy things at the most basic stage possible instead of pre-made sauces, pre-breaded chicken, pre-assembled pizzas, etc. When you take more control over what is actually in the food you eat, it's easier to eat better food.

Don't think of it as eating as little as possible, or cutting out bad things. Start from scratch, and think of it as putting as much good stuff into your diet as possible.

If you do a lot of emotional eating, or bored eating, or snacking throughout the day, start off by doing a food journal for a few weeks. Odds are you don't even know what you're eating or how much you're eating or when you're eating. Record what, how much, and when. Once you know what your habits are, break them. Plan your diet out in detail.

Write down what you will eat a day in advance or more, and stick to that and only that. Focus on incorporating as many healthy foods as you can, and natural sources of vitamins are always better than supplements.

After a while it'll become habit to just eat healthy regularly, and you won't need to focus so much on planning things and so forth. And after a long enough while the thought of actually eating at McDonald's will seem a little gross, and most of their food won't taste nearly as good as it used to.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
This discussion has been closed.