Options

Dipshit NY Assemblyman wants to ban salt, tasty food.

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    It's the standard portion size in America that's a problem as much as anything else anyways. Our mediums are basically everywhere else's large.

I'm not necessarily convinced on that. If you look at serving sizes on anything you buy at the grocer they're kinda super low. Lemme go to my kitchen and find some shit, hang on.

Kraft Mac & Cheese
    Serving Size 2.5 oz
    Servings Per Container about 3

Peter Pan Peanut Butter (Creamy)
    Serving Size 2 tbsp (32g)
    Servings Per Container about 14 (this is the smallest size jar by the way, 16.3 oz)

StarKist Chunk Light Tuna (In Water)
    Serving Size about 2 oz drained
    Servings about 2 (5 oz can, you know how small these are)

California Sun-Dried Raisins
    Serving Size 1/4 cup (40g) (for the record, the tuna above is 56g)
    Servings per container about 11 (15 oz total)

Maruchan Ramen
    Serving Size 1/2 block of noodles with seasoning

None of these serving sizes would put a dent in my appetite. I'm about 5'10", 140 lbs, though I also have a pretty fast metabolism.

Man, half a packet of ramen as a serving size... I would starve on that shit.
    I think he might've been referring more to fast food than to things you find in your kitchen. Hence the "mediums are basically everywhere else's large." Plus, what bama said. A can of tuna is easily eaten by one person. Well, one American anyway. No one really follows those serving size measurements. :P

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Prospero wrote: »

That has more to do with the fact that ramen has almost no nutritional value. On the other hand, I have noticed that if I eat granola often, I tend to be less hungry. I am thinking it is more the foods you eat, rather than the amount, that determines how hungry you are.

During my last 3 months up in Portland, OR (before getting foreclosed on, heyoooo) my diet was mostly meals of ramen with two pieces of toast. Oh yeah.

Henroid on
  • Options
    ProsperoProspero Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

That has more to do with the fact that ramen has almost no nutritional value. On the other hand, I have noticed that if I eat granola often, I tend to be less hungry. I am thinking it is more the foods you eat, rather than the amount, that determines how hungry you are.

During my last 3 months up in Portland, OR (before getting foreclosed on, heyoooo) my diet was mostly meals of ramen with two pieces of toast. Oh yeah.

That... wow, were you incredibly emaciated or what? D:

Prospero on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's the standard portion size in America that's a problem as much as anything else anyways. Our mediums are basically everywhere else's large.

I'm not necessarily convinced on that. If you look at serving sizes on anything you buy at the grocer they're kinda super low. Lemme go to my kitchen and find some shit, hang on.

Kraft Mac & Cheese
    Serving Size 2.5 oz
    Servings Per Container about 3

Peter Pan Peanut Butter (Creamy)
    Serving Size 2 tbsp (32g)
    Servings Per Container about 14 (this is the smallest size jar by the way, 16.3 oz)

StarKist Chunk Light Tuna (In Water)
    Serving Size about 2 oz drained
    Servings about 2 (5 oz can, you know how small these are)

California Sun-Dried Raisins
    Serving Size 1/4 cup (40g) (for the record, the tuna above is 56g)
    Servings per container about 11 (15 oz total)

Maruchan Ramen
    Serving Size 1/2 block of noodles with seasoning

None of these serving sizes would put a dent in my appetite. I'm about 5'10", 140 lbs, though I also have a pretty fast metabolism.

I think he might've been referring more to fast food than to things you find in your kitchen. Hence the "mediums are basically everywhere else's large." Plus, what bama said. A can of tuna is easily eaten by one person. Well, one American anyway. No one really follows those serving size measurements. :P

Oh hrm, you're right. Still, you'd be surprised how many people adhere to those labels. My stepmom is the only person I've lived with who did.

I'm not convinced the servings sizes are the reality of the picture (as someone just said). I think those are in place to keep the people who want to force everyone to eat right at bay, in a sense.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

That... wow, were you incredibly emaciated or what? D:

I did still manage to have occasional other foods (if TV dinners count) when I felt like spending more than I should've. Prior to the diet change I was only 155ish lbs. It's funny what unemployment does to people. BUT THAT'S ANOTHER THREAD!

Henroid on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, there's a difference between the "serving size" (i.e. 1 serving of meat = deck of cards) and the actual "portion size" that is served. And people are conditioned to finish what's put in front of them, regardless of how hungry they feel.

I remember reading about a study done where a control group was fed bowls of soup that could be refilled the conventional way, while the other group was fed bowls of soup that surreptitiously refilled themselves from beneath the table or something. The experimental group ate something like 30% more soup than the control group.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Yeah, there's a difference between the "serving size" (i.e. 1 serving of meat = deck of cards) and the actual "portion size" that is served. And people are conditioned to finish what's put in front of them, regardless of how hungry they feel.

I remember reading about a study done where a control group was fed bowls of soup that could be refilled the conventional way, while the other group was fed bowls of soup that surreptitiously refilled themselves from beneath the table or something. The experimental group ate something like 30% more soup than the control group.

God I wish my ramen did that up in Portland.

Henroid on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

God I wish my ramen did that up in Portland.

They never make my flavor anymore.

Fucking Mushroom. What happened?

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Who are you, Ted Nugent?

Did you know he and his wife wrote a cook book titled "Kill It and Grill It"?

True story.

Did you know he told college students the other day to watch Glenn Beck?

True story.

Why were college students listening to Ted Nugent? Colleges are bastions of liberal propaganda and brainwashing.

My school is practically a cathedral dedicated to the worship of Beck in his divine wisdom, we do have a small liberal resistance movement though, and you know its a public school where 90% of the students are here with the assistance of federal student aid so... sigh

override367 on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Who are you, Ted Nugent?

Did you know he and his wife wrote a cook book titled "Kill It and Grill It"?

True story.

Did you know he told college students the other day to watch Glenn Beck?

True story.

Why were college students listening to Ted Nugent? Colleges are bastions of liberal propaganda and brainwashing.

My school is practically a cathedral dedicated to the worship of Beck in his divine wisdom, we do have a small liberal resistance movement though, and you know its a public school where 90% of the students are here with the assistance of federal student aid so... sigh

Are you guys allowed to be in a room with a member of the opposite sex without supervision?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010

If the liberal resistance are big fans of Michael Moore then it's not really a resistance just more of the same crazy. :P

And fuck this Ortiz guy. He's going to single-handly destroy a century of culinary and social traditional and art. So, yeah, again, fuck him and his stupid idea of how food is made.

He sounds like an asshole that grew up on fast food and now has a self loathing problem.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sheep, you seem to be under the impression that this guy will be successful. I think that assumption is unwarranted.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This thread is reminding me of that recent commercial from the Big Soda lobby.
    Something to the effect of "Congress is proposing raising taxes on soda. They say it's only pennies but those pennies add up when you're trying to feed a family."

I can't link to the ad at work, but i remember the first time I saw that I audibly raged at the TV "So then why are you feeding your family shit with no nutriotional value you dumb bitch!"

Edit: Yes I yelled at a recording of an actress paid to say dumb shit by a lobbying group. It wasn't my finest moment.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Almost as bad as me rolling my eyes about HFCS everytime I see that commercial.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    bowen wrote: »

Oh my lord that commercial is annoying.

Because if the person you are asking doesn't know why its bad.... it can't be bad!

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If we get rid of salt, you just know people will be health-conscious and get their iodine in other ways.

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Because if the person you are asking doesn't know why its bad.... it can't be bad!

I'm just concerned as to why ice cream needs HFCS to begin with, I guess.

I had a packet of sun dried strawberries the other day. It irked me to find out it had HFCS in it. Sun dried fruit. Fruit, sun dried, there's no "HEY LETS ADD SUGAR TO THIS" step involved. People who eat sun dried fruit tend to not want something super god damned sweet foodstuff.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The only difference between HFCS and sugar is HFCS has 5% more fructose and so is slightly sweeter. It's the same thing, and you can't make ice cream without some form of sugar. The problem is when people put it in everything and in larger quantities because HFCS is cheap.
    Bowen wrote:
    Most people don't eat out very often anyways, and most people don't eat preprocessed foods every day at home.

Gotta disagree with you there, Bowen. The number of people that eat out and eat quick frozen entrees on a regular basis has to outweigh (haha, outweigh, cuz they're fatties) the amount of people that cook for themselves on a regular basis.

To many people it's perceived as much easier to go "No 6 with a coke" in a drive thru than to go home and turn on the oven.
    I'll be honest: I eat canned soup for lunch almost every day. I know it's terrible for me, but it hasn't prevented me from losing 20 pounds, so I'm not going to worry about it. However, just because Burger King is hurting because some people have pulled back doesn't mean that most people don't eat fast food on a somewhat regular basis.

Also, there is no reason to ever eat Ramen. It's cheap but not when compared to anything that has some nutritional value. A pound of spaghetti only costs a dollar!

Coinage on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah but you can't get a case of spaghetti for $1.80.

bowen on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Are you guys daft?

The reason foods with little or no salt taste bland to you is because you're so used to eating foods with salt in the first place.

For one thing there is absolutely no reason for a salt shaker to be at a table in a restaurant. The sodium from salt is vital for survival, but only like 500 mg a day or so. 1/4 of a teaspoon of salt can potentially serve your entire daily need of sodium.

But yet, the average American consumes a good 2000-3000 even 4000 mg of sodium a fucking day.

That means that every decade the average shithead American consumes a lifetime's worth of salt.

You think that's fucking healthy?

The Japanese diet is one of the saltiest on Earth - miso, pickled veggies, salted fish, soy sauce, etc.

The Japanese life expectancy is also one of the longest on Earth. The Japanese obesity rate is one of the lowest on Earth. Perhaps the problem lies elsewhere. Possibly that people scarfing down salty fries at McDonald's also think that a quarter-pound of beef is an appropriate size for a hamburger, if not on the small end.

Coinage wrote: »
    Also, there is no reason to ever eat Ramen. It's cheap but not when compared to anything that has some nutritional value. A pound of spaghetti only costs a dollar!

Well, actual ramen is awesome - but also not that cheap.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010

But you can go to price club and buy a months worth of noodles and sauce for like 20 bucks.

psychotix on
  • Options
    psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Are you guys daft?

The reason foods with little or no salt taste bland to you is because you're so used to eating foods with salt in the first place.

For one thing there is absolutely no reason for a salt shaker to be at a table in a restaurant. The sodium from salt is vital for survival, but only like 500 mg a day or so. 1/4 of a teaspoon of salt can potentially serve your entire daily need of sodium.

But yet, the average American consumes a good 2000-3000 even 4000 mg of sodium a fucking day.

That means that every decade the average shithead American consumes a lifetime's worth of salt.

The Japanese diet is one of the saltiest on Earth - miso, pickled veggies, salted fish, soy sauce, etc.

The Japanese life expectancy is also one of the longest on Earth. The Japanese obesity rate is one of the lowest on Earth. Perhaps the problem lies elsewhere. Possibly that people scarfing down salty fries at McDonald's also think that a quarter-pound of beef is an appropriate size for a hamburger, if not on the small end.

The good japanese diet is the okinawa diet, which is rather different then what most eat.

psychotix on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Are you guys daft?

Well, actual ramen is awesome - but also not that cheap.

Exactly, this whole 'SALT IS BAD' thing is nonsense. Salt is not bad, salty foods tend to be FATTY foods. It's no shock that all the 'health problems' seemingly caused by excessive salt intake are also caused by excessive fat intake. In japan, salty foods are not fatty foods. Salt is fine.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    And how much actual food is in the case of Ramen? Not much. Processed shit is never cheaper than the real thing in the long run because you're paying somebody else to work for you, yet we still have people crying that it (or the damn dollar menu) is the only thing poor people can afford. I stopped watching Food, Inc, when they took at face value that stupid family's claim that they could only afford the dollar menu, to the point of cutting to them at the groceries and bitching that oh shit a pound of pears costs a whole dollar. But they spent $3 on soda at the drive through!

And of course we're talking about the microwave ramen not the real thing. :P

Coinage on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah I know I was being facetious, sometimes, though, vendors and processors will eat the cost of an increase. But always enough for them to still be profitable.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Also all the corn and soybean subsidies make it easy to perpetuate the "processed foods are CHEAP!" illusion.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »
    This thread is reminding me of that recent commercial from the Big Soda lobby.
    Something to the effect of "Congress is proposing raising taxes on soda. They say it's only pennies but those pennies add up when you're trying to feed a family."

I can't link to the ad at work, but i remember the first time I saw that I audibly raged at the TV "So then why are you feeding your family shit with no nutriotional value you dumb bitch!"

Edit: Yes I yelled at a recording of an actress paid to say dumb shit by a lobbying group. It wasn't my finest moment.

YES. I love (hate) that commercial. "How am I going to feed my family if you add 5¢ to the cost of soda and juice drinks?!?" And the actress is super-outraged. And every time it comes one I yell, "You don't need to buy soda and "juice" drinks to feed your family, you stupid bitch!" My wife loves this little routine. Haven't seen it in a while though, so maybe they realized how dumb it was.

Totally unrelated, but my second favorite commercial lately is the one for the fibromyalgia drug in which the actress, playing someone with fibromyalgia, seems extremely suspicious of whether the disease actually exists. "Fibromyalgia is thought to be caused by (pause) overactive nerves (accompanied by palm-up universal symbol for "who knows?").

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

Waitafuckingminute.... the CORN Lobby has a "You people are stupid for complaining about the shit we put into your body" ad and I didn't here about it?

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Waitafuckingminute.... the CORN Lobby has a "You people are stupid for complaining about the shit we put into your body" ad and I didn't here about it?

They ran pretty liberally about a year and a half ago I think.

Then they just stopped after the majority of the public said "eh whatever" and downed a pint of pure HFCS.

bowen on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

It's pretty awesome. This chick is like, have a popcicle, honey. And he's all like, "no way bitch, it has HFCS!" And she's like, but HFCS is made from corn, and corn is natural, and HFCS is delicious.

It's really not a fair commercial, because who would turn down a popsicle?!? Popsicles are awesome.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Didn't our fore bearers kick the ruling people out of the country for something similar to this?

Something to due with taxing tea and revolutions?

You know, the reason the right to bear arms is so high on the list.

Salt tax..... soda tax..... wtf is next? can Americans even get angry anymore?

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    Didn't our fore bearers kick the ruling people out of the country for something similar to this?

You know, the reason the right to bear arms is so high on the list.

Salt tax..... soda tax..... wtf is next? can Americans even get angry anymore?

Ummmm.. you seem to be forgetting the second part of the slogan.

"No taxation...without representation."

KalTorak on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Well, baking is all chemistry. If you don't have an ingredient, then chemical reactions won't work correctly.

I'm currently trying to master baking, and it's fun learning what different ingredients do. It's like, "Oh, so that's the difference between baking powder and baking soda."

I'm surprised this whole thread has gone by without a single reference to ElJeffe masterbaking.

For shame, D&D, for shame.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Fun Fact: The 'Tea Act' that prompted the Boston Tea party did not raise taxes on Tea.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Fun Fact: The 'Tea Act' that prompted the Boston Tea party did not raise taxes on Tea.

It made it cheaper. Cheaper than pirated tea. Much of which the economy of this country was running on at the time. This pissed off the pirates and most of them were the founding fathers and took a significant chunk out of their coffers.

So, they staged a rebellion. Viola the US of A is born.

bowen on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    psychotix wrote: »
    Are you guys daft?

The good japanese diet is the okinawa diet, which is rather different then what most eat.

Japanese life expectancy by prefecture, 2000:

Men
    1. Nagano 78.90 yrs
    2. Fukui 78.55
    3. Nara 78.36
    4. Kumamoto 78.29
    5. Kanagawa 78.24

Women
    1. Okinawa 86.01
    2. Fukui 85.39
    3. Nagano 85.31
    4t. Kumamoto 85.30
    4t. Shimane 85.30

While Okinawa leads the world in centenarians, it's not single-handedly dragging the rest of salt-loving Japan's health numbers upwards.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEbRxTOyGf0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVsgXPt564Q

These ads are absolutely hilarious AND there are a few awesome (and a shitload of less than awesome) parody videos.

Thanks Bowen!

Deebaser on
  • Options
    KevinNashKevinNash Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

HFCS propaganda

These ads are absolutely hilarious AND there are a few awesome (and a shitload of less than awesome) parody videos.

edit: And I can't tell if you're being sarcastic

HFCS tastes vile compared to real sugar and it's also artificially cheaper because of subsidies and trade embargoes.

So yeah, it's not some kind of dangerous sweetener, but it's pretty much strictly worse than sugar in terms of taste.

Mind you I drink diet soda 99% of the time.

edit: and everyone already commented on this one page earlier to my johnny come lately.

edit: and also salt bannings are fucking retarded. The politician proposing this should be forced to simultaneously stuff 9 saltines into his mouth and then whistle. Fuck that guy.

KevinNash on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    The only difference between HFCS and sugar is HFCS has 5% more fructose and so is slightly sweeter. It's the same thing, and you can't make ice cream without some form of sugar. The problem is when people put it in everything and in larger quantities because HFCS is cheap.

Actually, several members of this forum can taste it in a blind taste test, and most chefs know to watch out for it because it behaivs differently from sugars that don't likely come from a worm's anus.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    psychotix wrote: »
    Are you guys daft?

Japanese life expectancy by prefecture, 2000:

Men
    1. Nagano 78.90 yrs
    2. Fukui 78.55
    3. Nara 78.36
    4. Kumamoto 78.29
    5. Kanagawa 78.24

Women
    1. Okinawa 86.01
    2. Fukui 85.39
    3. Nagano 85.31
    4t. Kumamoto 85.30
    4t. Shimane 85.30

While Okinawa leads the world in centenarians, it's not single-handedly dragging the rest of salt-loving Japan's health numbers upwards.

You have to remember that they eat a lot of famously salty things, but I'd be willing to bet that they don't eat much more salt than us because it's less ubiquitous (we have salt in the most unlikely things and eat a lot more bread) and they eat a lot of fresh fish. On top of that, they eat nothing bad but salt, so their bodies don't have to deal with other crap.

I doubt that cooking needs salt anywhere close to how much you guys think it does, as we've had to go without for most of our history without chefs committing suicide in mass numbers.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.