Options

Dipshit NY Assemblyman wants to ban salt, tasty food.

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited March 2010
    i dated a girl whose family had dietary restrictions and were kind of hippies back in high school. they used no salt in their cooking, and I ate over at her house pretty much exclusively for a several weeks.

it tasted bland as hell, and i really only coped by putting cayenne pepper on everything. eventually, though, i started to taste aspects of the food that i had never really been able to taste before - like there were a lot of interesting and good flavors in there that the salt i was used to had been washing out.

of course it took about one or two super-salty mcdonalds meals to get me back to the point where i couldn't taste anything that wasn't really salty again.

anyhow, this is ridiculous legislation.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Well, if the gun control threads have taught me anything, it's that no matter how other people might feel about something, if it's dangerous it should be banned.

Do not drag gun control in here or I will blast you with a shotgun loaded with rock salt.

This would be a dealth penalty offense in NY, if the athiest state legislatures cared more about executing their death row inmates instead of gay marrying each other like gays.

In closing, abortion.

(please dont shoot me)

Deebaser on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The thing is that most people just plain don't care. Places (in my area, at least) are required to provide nutritional information, and a lot of places around here have that information right on the table and obviously labeled. But nobody gives a shit, because they don't want to give up their Bloomin' Onions and Triple Chocolate Death Cakes and Cheesy Pasta In Cheese Sauce Sprinkled With Cheese And Oh Hell Just Go Swim In The Mozzerella Vat Already.

A lot of information is ignored by a lot of people, often to their detriment. I myself tend to avoid eating our largely because I can't count the damned calories.

--

I very rarely put salt on my food, though of course I eat a lot of packaged food so much of it is pre-salted. But vegetables and rice is just fine without adding salt to taste.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    psychotix wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind a LIMIT to salting things, if there was a practicable way to enforce it.

And again, that's just silly, there is a natural limit in this. Using an unhealthy amount of salt makes things taste better, this is known. But turning your prime rib into jerky will cause your business to fail.

The reality is that people prefer salty food. Trying to put limits into place, for "their own damn good", isn't a good idea.

It's not practicable, anyways.

I prefer the notion of them being made to inform customers about basic nutrition facts, more than anything, but again, not practicable.

The thing is that most people just plain don't care. Places (in my area, at least) are required to provide nutritional information, and a lot of places around here have that information right on the table and obviously labeled. But nobody gives a shit, because they don't want to give up their Bloomin' Onions and Triple Chocolate Death Cakes and Cheesy Pasta In Cheese Sauce Sprinkled With Cheese And Oh Hell Just Go Swim In The Mozzerella Vat Already.

The reality is that everyone is already aware that those things are bad for them (except maybe the parents of those michelin man kids, but they're probably beyond help anyway.) As nice as it is to see that a whopper has 1000 calories in it or whatever, by the time I've decided I want fast food the specifics are pretty unimportant to me.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This stands no chance in hell of passing, right?
    Well, if the gun control threads have taught me anything, it's that no matter how other people might feel about something, if it's dangerous it should be banned.

Do not drag gun control in here or I will blast you with a shotgun loaded with rock salt.

El Jeffe, are you a Hunter? ohdearh.png

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well, baking is all chemistry. If you don't have an ingredient, then chemical reactions won't work correctly.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ElJeffe, I don't think mozzarella comes in vats.

MozzaDairyAP_800x517.jpg

tasty!

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
  • Options
    psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Dyscord wrote: »
    ElJeffe, I don't think mozzarella comes in vats.

MozzaDairyAP_800x517.jpg

tasty!

That's a lot of balls in a whitish liquid:winky:

psychotix on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited March 2010
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Well, baking is all chemistry. If you don't have an ingredient, then chemical reactions won't work correctly.

I'm currently trying to master baking, and it's fun learning what different ingredients do. It's like, "Oh, so that's the difference between baking powder and baking soda."

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    when you say baking, you mean, with the goal of someday producing food?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited March 2010

The reality is that everyone is already aware that those things are bad for them (except maybe the parents of those michelin man kids, but they're probably beyond help anyway.) As nice as it is to see that a whopper has 1000 calories in it or whatever, by the time I've decided I want fast food the specifics are pretty unimportant to me.

They probably know that the chicken parmigiana is bad for them, but I'd wager few of them know how truly awful it is if they haven't specifically looked into it. I mean yeah, sure, cheese and cream sauce is obviously bad for you. But I've yet to meet someone who wasn't shocked to discover that their favorite dish is, like, 2500 calories and 120 grams of fat, or something. It's counter-intuitive to think that a single entree has more than your RDA of calories and fat and sodium and whatnot.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Food without salt is fucking disgusting.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Just think of what would happen to salads.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Oh, no no, I'm just trying to make new and exciting IEDs.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited March 2010

Also baking is one of the best ways to anneal metals!

Don't need salt for that, no sir!

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

ITT Jeffe cooks up some Improvised Emetic Dishes.

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I'm currently trying to master baking, and it's fun learning what different ingredients do. It's like, "Oh, so that's the difference between baking powder and baking soda."

D:

I don't want to imagine what came out of that experiment....

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sounds well intentioned.

If it wasn't for the inherent culinary impossibility of it, I think you could make a straight faced argument it was a good idea.

Speaker on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I guess the point could be made that if you make all the food in the state taste like bland garbage then people will eat less of it and might not be as obese.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Lets ban fats as well!

Then we can have a stick of butter at the table and rub it on our food.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Salt is the oldest spice, seasoning, curing agent, etc. known to man. To craft a law such as this that unequivocally suggests it is a bad thing for you is like trying to draft a law that bans restaurants from serving any sort of grain products because you subscribe to the Atkin's Diet and believe that carbs are evil and the source of our nations fatties.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    ueanuean Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I welcome the day we no longer have to worry about any of this and simply take our food-tablets like the obedient gerbils we are.

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Some people need to watch more Good Eats. Salt isn't just some to make food taste better, it IS what makes food taste better or good period. That's one of its chemical functions.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Apperantly, salt is optional in matzo. Figures.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Scalfin wrote: »

Just in case you can't find any salt that's kosher.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I thought it was because it tastes bad enough without salt intensifying it. I was also unaware that it was possible for salt not to be kosher without containing pig blood, as the term "kosher salt" really means "kosherifying salt."

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I thought it was because it tastes bad enough without salt intensifying it. I was also unaware that it was possible for salt not to be kosher without containing pig blood, as the term "kosher salt" really means "kosherifying salt."

Ah yes. I forgot, no one can make a simple joke without it being over-analyzed here.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The latest episode of Good Eats was all about how salt can be used to enhance the flavor of sweetness and even remove the bitter taste of, say, grapefruit. It made me more excited for salt. The episode after that was about pretzels. <_<

Someone's lifestyle (diet) should not be made into law, this is fucking silly goosery.

Henroid on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It sounds like a backhanded protest of the banned extra-bad fat thing.

It's not.

Also, he's in favor of a tax on soft drinks.

Apparently health-related legislation is his thing. It's just that this proposal crosses the line from "good idea" to "that might have possibly been a good idea at some point but wow, it's not one now".

Lawndart on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    EDIT- It also does not melt ice. It raises the freezing point to help prevent it from refreezing.

It does melt ice. Learn chemistry noob.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    ProsperoProspero Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    DHS wrote: »
    Some people need to watch more Good Eats. Salt isn't just some to make food taste better, it IS what makes food taste better or good period. That's one of its chemical functions.

Tell that to McDonalds.

Prospero on
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Prospero wrote: »
    DHS wrote: »

Tell that to McDonalds.

Yeah... not even close to being relevant or witty. It isn't fairy dust, if it's bad food it's bad food. Plus, the type of salt matters, Iodized salt tastes funky and that's what is used most common. Also the quantity, obviously too much salt will make things taste bad.

Same token, if you hate McDonalds as it is, without salt you'd hate it more.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Pickles are bad, McDonald's uses them.
    Bread is bad, McDonald's uses it.
    Meat is bad, McDonald's uses it.
    Chicken is bad, McDonald's uses it.
    Lettuce is bad, McDonald's uses it.
    Onions are bad, McDonald's uses them.

Edit - editing to be less of a needless slam against someone / misunderstanding

Henroid on
  • Options
    TaGuelleTaGuelle Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I can't imagine a single chef not saying "What the fuck is wrong with this fucking guy, what the fuck does he know about cooking?"

Honestly, he sounds like the country club members I used to cook for when I worked at a country club. They would demand no butter, no salt, and over cooked eggs for their omlettes but then complain that it didn't taste good. They were just so missinformed on health and diet it was incredible. They wouldn't eat scallions because three years ago there was a case of ecoli from a batch of scallions.

Bah, these types of people make me crazy.

TaGuelle on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    this is excellent
    i support this legislation
    i hope he bans fire next, fucking flames always burning the shit out of things

That damn water, always drowning people.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    TaGuelle wrote: »
    I can't imagine a single chef not saying "What the fuck is wrong with this fucking guy, what the fuck does he know about cooking?"

Honestly, he sounds like the country club members I used to cook for when I worked at a country club. They would demand no butter, no salt, and over cooked eggs for their omlettes but then complain that it didn't taste good. They were just so missinformed on health and diet it was incredible. They wouldn't eat scallions because three years ago there was a case of ecoli from a batch of scallions.

Bah, these types of people make me crazy.

You can make an omelette just fine with oil instead of butter.

As for salt... the last omelette I made was with whatever I had in the cupboard.

All I really had was anchovies.
    It was better than it sounds.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    EDIT- It also does not melt ice. It raises the freezing point to help prevent it from refreezing.

???

No it doesn't. It lowers the freezing point once the ice starts melting - preventing it refreezing.

Ice is solid - salt won't penetrate or do anything to it, it's not energetic enough. All it does is stabilize that thin layer of water as it melts.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2010

???

No it doesn't. It lowers the freezing point once the ice starts melting - preventing it refreezing.

Ice is solid - salt won't penetrate or do anything to it, it's not energetic enough. All it does is stabilize that thin layer of water as it melts.

It'll melt it, very very slowly. For a better example, if you have a mixture of two crystal types, they melt at a lower temperature than a pure one, even though they're both solid. Same thing with ice, only since it's a block instead of a bunch of tiny crystals, it takes freaking forever.

So, everyone's right?

And wrong.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010

???

Hmmm. I think you may be right if you could somehow isolate pure ice, but in reality, there are small phase fluctuations at the surface of ice, so there is some liquid present, which the salt then mixes with. However, I believe once you get some water mixed with salt surrounding the ice, then there's some stuff with the equilibrium that gets thrown out of whack which causes more ice to melt.

I'll admit that I don't fully understand it, but god damn it, I remember doing this experiment. Take a sheet of ice, put it in a environment slightly below freezing (say -1°C) and then sprinkle salt on it and it will melt.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    The latest episode of Good Eats was all about how salt can be used to enhance the flavor of sweetness and even remove the bitter taste of, say, grapefruit. It made me more excited for salt. The episode after that was about pretzels. <_<

Someone's lifestyle (diet) should not be made into law, this is fucking silly goosery.

I've actually tried this before and it did indeed make the grapefruit taste sweeter. Just be sure to use very little salt.

Cervetus on