As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Buying a Wii, no idea what games to get. Help?

citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizenI'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
edited March 2010 in Games and Technology
So my wife convinced me to work a Wii + Wii Fit into our budget so she can use it as part of her exercise routine, like her friends do.

After she's given up and the balance board is collecting dust in the closet, I'll have a perfectly good game console connected to my TV, and I have no idea what sort of games I should get for it.

I'm a PC gamer, and most of what I do now are racing games and RPG's. That said, I'm pretty open to anything that's good regardless of genre.

I do own a DS (phat) that my 5 year old son has mostly taken over in the last month or so, but beyond that I don't have much experience with Nintendo products as the only console I ever owned before was an Atari 2600. New Super Mario Bros. and Mario Kart are probably the most-played on the DS.

So...suggestions? What games should I get in order to get the most value out of this system?

(apologies if there are existing wii recommendation threads - I didn't have a lot of luck searching the forum)

citizen059 on

• BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'd look into LoZ: Twilight Princess and Okami for action-rpgs. Definitely get Mario Galaxy.

Don't discount the virtual console. There are tons of excellent past generation games on there, such as Paper Mario.

Blurbl on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Games every Wii owner should have:

Twighlight Princess
    Super Mario Galaxy
    New Super Mario Bros Wii
    Metroid Prime Trilogy
    Super Smash Bros Brawl
    Mario Kart Wii
    Wii Sports Resort

Some that personally enjoy:

Geometry Wars Galaxies
    Tatsunoko vs Capcom
    NPC Pikmin
    Excitebots

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Super Smash Bro's I guess? We've had a Wii forever and we pretty much never use it. If your thing is RPGs and racing games....yeahhhhh.

electricitylikesme on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Super Smash Bro's I guess? We've had a Wii forever and we pretty much never use it. If your thing is RPGs and racing games....yeahhhhh.

Yeah, which is why I came here. I looked at the available racing titles and other than maybe Mario Kart there isn't anything else that I'd consider, just based on what I've seen.

But I want to get some use out of this thing, which is why I'm open to just about anything. :lol:

Appreciate the suggestions so far - forgot Geometry Wars was on the Wii as well, I have Galaxies on my DS and it took up a fair chunk of time back when I got it.

citizen059 on
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I had a lot of fun with Super Paper Mario.

For multi go with Smash Brothers Brawl or Warioware Smooth Moves is fun.

No more Heroes if you like over the top action.

Bedlam on
  • FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'll have to second Mario Galaxy, it is definitely a contender for the best 3D Mario title. If you liked NSMB on DS, the Wii version is even better, but I'd get Galaxy first unless you expect to have enough other players around to put serious time into the NSMB Wii co-op (which is great).

Metroid Prime Trilogy sounds like it might be a good option for you, but it's out of print so expect to pay more than retail for it. Maybe give it a rental (or just prime 3) before you drop that kind of cash without knowing if you'll like it. If you do try it, be sure that before you even start you go in and set the pointer sensitivity to Advanced, it's kind of sluggish otherwise.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • CullenCullen Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Excite Truck is a extremely good arcade racer. It got criticism at launch for not having much content, but it took me about 25 hours to 100%, and all of that time was shear enjoyment. There's very little fat on it, just a great racer. It's single player is miles better than Mario Kart, but obviously most people buy that for the multiplayer.

It makes me sad Excitebots never made it over here.

Cullen on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Mario Galaxy is by far my favorite Wii game. Unfortunately mine got stolen, so I'm waiting for the second one to come out, but by god it's beautiful and fun.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii is also pretty great, and a fantastic party game.

KalTorak on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Mario Kart DS is a lot better than Mario Kart Wii, so you might want to just stick with the DS version. Did you have a gamecube? The Pikmin games are the best games available on either system.

PolloDiablo on
  • Hockey JohnstonHockey Johnston Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You want: Boom Blox, Tiger Woods 10 (or the new one in a month or two, but 10 still rules and is probably pretty cheap), Wii Sports Resort, and Mario Galaxy.

Zelda's nice, but it was already last gen when it came out -- so, only if you're a fan.

/edit: oh, and Wii Ski and Snowboard is almost a must have if you already have a balance board. Ain't nothing like it on any of the other systems, and it's weirdly fun for friends who come over. It's probably 20$ by now.

Hockey Johnston on
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Mario Kart DS is a lot better than Mario Kart Wii, so you might want to just stick with the DS version. Did you have a gamecube? The Pikmin games are the best games available on either system.

Or get the New Play Control version of Pikmin for the Wii.

Ditto ExciteTruck for a racer. It's the only one on the Wii I've played, and really the only one I've played in a long time, but it is a lot of fun. Yeah, the multiplayer options are a bit disappointing, but the single player is fantastic. The game should be cheap these days, especially if you buy used, so it's not like you're wasting a lot of money on it.

Also look into the ExciteBike WiiWare remake. I've not played it personally, but I hear it's pretty good.

All the major Nintendo titles are pretty much a given, though I personally didn't care much for Super Paper Mario.

I've heard great things about Muramasa. I keep meaning to pick it up but just haven't yet for whatever reason.

I always recommend MadWorld, but admittedly it's not for everyone. You run around good sized arenas shoving as many things as possible into people and kill them in creative ways for big points. The boss battles are great (Frank's a pain in the ass) and have great final blow cutscenes. The commentary provided by Greg Proops (Who's Line) and John DiMaggio (Bender, Marcus Fenix) is hilarious. Actually the whole game is rather funny given how over the top it is.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If your an old PC gamer Zack and Wiki is a point and click puzzle game in the flavor of the 'Goblins' series.

Also, Resident Evil 4...I owned this previously for the gamecube but the new wii controls made this a whole different ball of fun.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Baroque is a fairly sadistic roguelike, and it's always different each time. It kind of has a dark PC RPG feel to it.

And Castle of Shikigami 3 is my favorite Wii game($9.99 at most!), but it's not for everyone, and involves rampant bullet hell.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If you're into 2-d beat-em-ups with a little crafting/RPG thrown in I cannot praise Muramasa: The Demon Blade enough.

I would second Zack and Wiki if you can find it. Great old school adventure style game.

Monster Hunter Tri will be out in a couple of months as well and could be pretty good.

Mr Obersmith on
    Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Other than the obvious Nintendo titles, I'm going to say think about getting

Boy and his Blob
    Muramasa
    Boom Blox

Also, Shiren is coming to the Wii soon, right?

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You could give SRPG Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn a look.

WotanAnubis on
  • BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This thread has a shocking lack of Punch-Out!!.

Billmaan on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    For RPGs there is Tales of Symphonia already out and Monster Hunter 3 coming out in the next couple weeks I think.

Who has the link for the Slash signal?

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Also, Shiren is coming to the Wii soon, right?
    Its been out for a couple weeks.

Bedlam on
  • EeveelutionEeveelution Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've been playing Monster Hunter 3 Demo ( the guy at gamestop who knows me gave me a copy of the demo when I bought my pokemon heart gold). Looks like a solid RPG style game.

Eeveelution on
    PS3 Tag: cryptzicle Cryptzicle the DK
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Baroque and Shiren are definitely games you're going to want to rent before you buy. You'll either love or hate Baroque, and I've not heard good things about Shiren Wii.

Two games that should have been mentioned already:
    Little King Story - Delightfully quirky and wicked little action/strategy/difficult-to-categorize game
    De Blob - A platformer where you literally paint the town (with your butt!). Very fun, and has an amazing soundtrack

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Another for ExciteTruck. It's a racing game that actually does new things, and has a new take on the genre. It takes a little getting used to, but it's fun as hell. It's probably the game I've played most on my Wii. I haven't tried out ExciteBots yet, since I'm trying to clear out my backlog before buying anything new.

People have covered most of the other things I'd recommend, Smash Bros, No More Heroes, Geometry Wars. I haven't played the Wii Fire Emblem, but the gamecube one is pretty fun.

As far as WiiWare, Lost Winds is also damn good, at 4-5 hours or so is just long enough to be enjoyable without overstaying its welcome, and bit.trip is hard as crap but also fun as hell, and very rewarding when you get better at it.

And there's lots of virtual console stuff to choose from as well, I won't even get into all that, since I don't know what consoles you've owned in the past.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    A lot of good suggestions above but don't overlook Silent Hill Shattered Memories.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sin and Punishment 2 comes out soon, and it's probably the best wii game, so you should buy that.

I like Super Mario Galaxy but it's pretty toned down/casual friendly.

Silent Hill Shattered Memories is somewhat novel and a pretty decent game overall.

Shiren the Wanderer is all right if you are into roguelikes. I like the idea of randomly generated things more in platformers (Spelunky) than in RPGs but it's a pretty cool experiment. It's something every Wii owner should check out, I think. It might be harder to enjoy if you look to video games more for entertainment than challenges, though.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • BackstopBackstop Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The Shining Force series is on the virtual console, as well as Secret of Mana and Ogre Battle. You said you hadn't owned a system since the 2600 so you might get a hundred hours of enjoyment out of those.

Backstop on
  • SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You're into RPGs and Virtual Console has access to most of the Super Nintendo library.

This is everything you need to know.

Sipex on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Definitely some things to check out - thanks all!

citizen059 on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Not enough mention of Little King's Story.
    For shame, thread.
    By far the best (and most substantial) third-party release on the system. Basically Pikmin and Zelda rolled into one. Get it.

Xagarath on
  • SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's good but I didn't think it fit the RPG or Racing bits he so enjoys.

Sipex on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's in the same semi-rpg bracket as zelda.

Xagarath on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sipex wrote: »
    You're into RPGs and Virtual Console has access to most of the Super Nintendo library.

But sadly, the Virtual Console is still missing most of the good SNES RPGs. You can currently get FF4, BoF2, SMRPG, Secret of Mana, and Zelda and that's pretty much it.

RainbowDespair on
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sipex wrote: »

But sadly, the Virtual Console is still missing most of the good SNES RPGs. You can currently get FF4, BoF2, SMRPG, Secret of Mana, and Zelda and that's pretty much it.

It makes up for it with all of the Genesis era Phantasy Star games. I may be biased though...

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • CrewMember169CrewMember169 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Games every Wii owner should have:

Twighlight Princess
    Super Mario Galaxy
    New Super Mario Bros Wii
    Metroid Prime Trilogy
    Super Smash Bros Brawl
    Mario Kart Wii
    Wii Sports Resort

The amusing thing is that some of those games can't be bought anymore. Twilight Princess and the Metroid Prime Trilogy can't be found in stores. It's laughable how few good games there are for the Wii.

CrewMember169 on
  • Hockey JohnstonHockey Johnston Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

The amusing thing is that some of those games can't be bought anymore. Twilight Princess and the Metroid Prime Trilogy can't be found in stores. It's laughable how few good games there are for the Wii.

They are both right down the street from me.

Hockey Johnston on
  • CrewMember169CrewMember169 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Gamestop told me that the closest shop with a copy of Twilight Princess (new not used) was almost 250 miles way. Where exactly did you see these games?

CrewMember169 on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Last I checked there were more than 80 good games for the Wii. But I guess if you're one of the people who wouldn't buy games like A Boy and his Blob or Muramasa: The Demon Blade, then yeah, I can see where you might be the type to only buy Nintendo's titles without even attempting to look elsewhere.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited March 2010
    Boy and his Blob really wasn't very good, outside of the background art. Way too slow and clunky, with not enough interesting puzzles.

Trauma Center was possibly the best Wii game at launch - a fun Action/Puzzle medical game that really uses the Wii controls well - and Trauma Team is coming out in a few weeks so I'd recommend picking up Trauma Center used for dirt cheap and if you like it, pick up Trauma Team when it comes out.

RainbowDespair on
  • LeetfulLeetful Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Gamestop told me that the closest shop with a copy of Twilight Princess (new not used) was almost 250 miles way. Where exactly did you see these games?

I'm gonna introduce you to a site that will change your life. And you don't even need to drive.

Leetful on
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Mentioned in the OP, but New Super Mario Bros. Wii is great. It's like Super Mario Bros. 3 and New Super Mario Bros. merged and added a penguin-suit power-up.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited March 2010
    Man, I wished that Nintendo did some sort of Greatest Hits line. I'd kind of like to replay Twilight Princess, but there's no way on earth that I'm spending $40-$50 on it.

RainbowDespair on