As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My [chat] is too big

• Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Passer: since it's crisis, there are all sorts of different kinds of committees going on; some are historical (King Henry VIII, Roanoke, Trojan War, KGB)

Now I really want to know Henry VIII's stance on the Trojan War.

He wants to marry Helen?

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    OH HAI HAKKS

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    okay hakkes I don't get your model UN

it sounds like a live reenactment of Medieval Total War more than the UN

cause it's crisis

what does that even mean

what has that to do with the papacy

it MEANS it's not a normal committee structure

it means i am a historical character

it means I can send communiques back to the pope and ask for things

...but you're in the UN?
    no

there is no UN

we're all completely seperate from each other

the only committees that have to do with one another are the joint Trojan committees

one is the Trojan Council, one is the Achaean League

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Thom wtf are you talking about

In 1960 Nikita Khrushchev who was then Premier of the USSR appointed himself the head of their UN delegation and came to NY for a visit. During a speech criticizing the USSR, he took off his shoe and began to bang it on his desk, demanding to speak.

yeah but it's not the UN delegation

it's Khameinei's private council

It was a joke based on it being the model UN.
    what does that even mean

Given the time period, it wouldn't be odd to for a Papal Nuncio to sit on ruler's councils. The Church played politics and played it hard during that time.

that time?

WHAT TIME?

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Actually meat tenderizer's what works on sea urchin and jellyfish stings. Ambulances in Hawai'i carry it specifically for those times that panicked tourists call about little Susie stepping on a wana or little Brian not leaving the big colorful man'o'war alone.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    okay hakkes I don't get your model UN

it sounds like a live reenactment of Medieval Total War more than the UN

cause it's crisis

what does that even mean

it MEANS it's not a normal committee structure

it means i am a historical character

it means I can send communiques back to the pope and ask for things

...but you're in the UN?
    no

there is no UN

we're all completely seperate from each other

the only committees that have to do with one another are the joint Trojan committees

one is the Trojan Council, one is the Achaean League

well why the hell did you call it a model UN then

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    We had a game in sixth grade similar to this whole thing, but it played more like a paper and stats based game of Civilization. And it ended with my group violently taking over all the other's land.

So there never was much talking going on.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ...but you're in the UN?
    "Model UN" is just a catch-all term for committee-style political/historical debate.

I'm sure the General Assembly is the main attraction, but every host likes to spice things up a bit and include something interesting, especially for people who aren't political science majors, but have backgrounds in history, religion, etc.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    [Chat] lacks anime, hippies, vegetarians, hipsters, or any other approved groups that work Will into an octogenarian rage.

That said, Hi Passer! I like your [chat]!

i told you i don't mind hipsters

frankie dislikes hipsters though

Man, Frankie is a hipster.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Chat moves too fast for my connection in the stupid convention center. Damn Sprint aircard...

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Actually meat tenderizer's what works on sea urchin and jellyfish stings. Ambulances in Hawai'i carry it specifically for those times that panicked tourists call about little Susie stepping on a wana or little Brian not leaving the big colorful man'o'war alone.

Now this was an interesting discussion to stumble upon.

Echo on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Passer: since it's crisis, there are all sorts of different kinds of committees going on; some are historical (King Henry VIII, Roanoke, Trojan War, KGB)

Now I really want to know Henry VIII's stance on the Trojan War.

He wants to marry Helen?

Man, who doesn't?

... Though I have heard that she's easy, so you might want to be careful there.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    that time?

WHAT TIME?

1525!

Hakkekage on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Henry VIII would have married a hole in the ground if he'd have gotten a good lay out of it.

Echo on
  • Options
    thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Podly wrote: »
    [Chat] lacks anime, hippies, vegetarians, hipsters, or any other approved groups that work Will into an octogenarian rage.

thanks podly. someone had to say it.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Mang you are like some super hipster prototype

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

thanks podly. someone had to say it.

:lol:

Arch on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    that time?

WHAT TIME?

1525!

1525 must have been eventful

with the iranian elections, the trojan war and this papal intrigue

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    except even as a Papal Nuncio, I have little power

Cardinal Wolsey is there! He is a cardinal, and Henry's right hand man!

Although what I don't get about him is that he's pro-France, even though France is all athreatin' Rome

You have power. It's just a very subtle power. Spain should still be a strong ally of the Church at the time, and they had a lot of power. Given the pressures being put upon Catherine to produce an heir, it could be suggested that Spain may be more willing to take less of an issue with a divorce if the Church suggested it was in their best interest. To work your power you need to be subtle. No threats, but more suggestions about how much easier life is if they work with you rather then against you.

And you're a Papal Nuncio. Wolsey in theory out ranks you, but your an Ambassador and have more actual power then he does. Your word is binding on the Pope, and you have the power to make treaties.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

It's funny to watch the look of disgust and dismay on the parent's faces when the EMT whips out the bottle and pours it onto the wound.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    No one hates hipsters quite as much as other hipsters.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I have taken a blurry picture of my WIP test model by means of holding it in front of a web cam with too much light on it washing out all the carapace colors!
    Photo%2015.jpg

I really need a new charger for my real camera.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    No one hates hipsters quite as much as other hipsters.

They're like Jews.

Or Neo-Cons and gay people.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    huh? There was no UN in 1525? What kind of shenanigans is this?

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Guys, this zelda game is making me feel dumb. Damn it.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Didn't there use to be model-UN games going on in this forum?

Honk on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

Although what I don't get about him is that he's pro-France, even though France is all athreatin' Rome

You have power. It's just a very subtle power. Spain should still be a strong ally of the Church at the time, and they had a lot of power. Given the pressures being put upon Catherine to produce an heir, it could be suggested that Spain may be more willing to take less of an issue with a divorce if the Church suggested it was in their best interest. To work your power you need to be subtle. No threats, but more suggestions about how much easier life is if they work with you rather then against you.
    So Hakkes is basically the consiglieri for the Don in the Vatican?

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The model UNSC taught us alot about how the UN works alright but probably not what the arrangers wanted to teach us

it taught us that firstly, everything in the general assembly is a pointless waste of time, everything is done in the back rooms, and nothing important ever gets done

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    reposting lasercorgi for great justice

tumblr_kzw6uzp1a31qzhtwso1_500.jpg

Arch on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    BobCesca wrote: »
    scanning stuff is boring.

Super late:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpSpDXBnlVs

Winky on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Arch your corgi laser is very cute.

Echo, your hands look exactly like mine. Combined with your long hair and our generally similar features and coloring this is somewhat disconcerting.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Why is the man-o-war called man-o-war, when it does not look like a man of war?

It looks like a jellyfish.

Honk on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Podly is the best troll and the worst troll.

TL DR on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

It's funny to watch the look of disgust and dismay on the parent's faces when the EMT whips out the bottle and pours it onto the wound.

My concept of a meat tenderizer is a big ass wooden mallet with spikes on the side.

Which would be far more hilarious in this case.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    edit: Wtf is wrong with the forums and double posting today.

Honk on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

And you're a Papal Nuncio. Wolsey in theory out ranks you, but your an Ambassador and have more actual power then he does. Your word is binding on the Pope, and you have the power to make treaties.

Spain is being roundly defeated in their battles with France. Charles V of the Holy Roman Empire is abed with syphilis. Communications with the Pope are cut off, on account of France murdering our envoys.

CRISIS!

Hakkekage on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

My concept of a meat tenderizer is a big ass wooden mallet with spikes on the side.

Which would be far more hilarious in this case.

See, this is what I was thinking.

"Jellyfish sting! Quick, grab my hammer!"

Echo on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hum. The kokoro scan trailer is, like way funnier if you have no idea what it's about. English subtitles ruin it.

Winky on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

So Hakkes is basically the consiglieri for the Don in the Vatican?

Yes. She pretty much has that level of autonomy. Ambassadors in the period didn't do a lot of back and forth communication simply because it took too long. So they were people who's judgment was trusted by their rulers. It's why she shouldn't worry about Wolsey, but Wolsey should very much worry about her. He may be a Cardinal but she has the ear of the Pope.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh my god. So I finally got it by just throwing wave after wave of my men at it. Plus side: gunpowder, constantly at war foe no longer has one easily defended city in my side. Time to tech like crazy.

electricitylikesme on
This discussion has been closed.