As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Our dearest national pastime

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Weaver on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited April 2010
    I don't even know what "true intention" is supposed to exhonerate

A lot of people have had good intentions in mind when they've done evil actions

Blair and Bush thought they were building a better future for Iraq, Stalin thought he was building a better future for humanity, Hitler thought he was doing humanity a favour by risking the world of those pesky Jews (before anyone complains, no I'm not saying that these things are all equivalently good or bad).

If the intention is built on shitty reasoning to begin with, it's not any kind of defence of abhorrent actions. "True intention" only has traction when it's a good intention.

bongi on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    SimBen wrote: »
    I'm a little bit too far on the cynical side to think that the church genuinely cares about saving any souls but their own, but fair enough.

I feel this way about the Vatican sometimes but not the entire church. They have good people that work for them that do good things.

The current pope sucks ball though. JP2 was much better and much more understanding.
    neville wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    there are kids born with aids in africa, but I guess you knew that?
    It's perfectly possible to not practice premarital sex and still get HIV

Of course but less sex with less partners would help reduce the spread of HIV.

Again, I don't support the church lying about contraception or even their proposed solutions to the problem. Just explaining their true intentions.

So the ends justify the means?
    What could go wrong...

If you believe you're saving them from hell I suppose it would but you and I certainly don't.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So today I had massive chest pains and called some nurses line from my insurance company and I was all like yeah so my chest feels really tight and I feel nauseous etc.

And she's like so do you want me to call an ambulance

And I'm like no I am pretty sure I can drive myself by which I mean I'm pretty sure I don't want to pay for an ambulance

So I get there and they run all sorts of blood tests and put me on oxygen and so forth

And it turns out I had acid reflux for the first time

they gave me a lollipop and told me not to feel dumb because chest pains are serious business.

But I still felt dumb.

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i liked jp2. there was a man who felt like a pope. benedict is too scary lookin.

satansfingers on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    If you think of him as Pope Benny he's not that intimidating.

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    psychoticdreampsychoticdream Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Weaver wrote: »

geezus

what the hell is with that family

psychoticdream on
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm a little bit too far on the cynical side to think that the church genuinely cares about saving any souls but their own, but fair enough.

I feel this way about the Vatican sometimes but not the entire church. They have good people that work for them that do good things.

The current pope sucks ball though. JP2 was much better and much more understanding.
    neville wrote: »
    there are kids born with aids in africa, but I guess you knew that?
    It's perfectly possible to not practice premarital sex and still get HIV

Of course but less sex with less partners would help reduce the spread of HIV.

Again, I don't support the church lying about contraception or even their proposed solutions to the problem. Just explaining their true intentions.

So the ends justify the means?
    What could go wrong...

If you believe you're saving them from hell I suppose it would but you and I certainly don't.

My point was true intentions don't matter, if your methods are flawed.
    Would it be ok to kill children if it meant it might allow them to create a cure that would cure millions? If not, how about billions?

Also, the Palins are fucking stupid.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Zoel wrote: »
    So today I had massive chest pains and called some nurses line from my insurance company and I was all like yeah so my chest feels really tight and I feel nauseous etc.

And I'm like no I am pretty sure I can drive myself by which I mean I'm pretty sure I don't want to pay for an ambulance

So I get there and they run all sorts of blood tests and put me on oxygen and so forth

they gave me a lollipop and told me not to feel dumb because chest pains are serious business.

But I still felt dumb.

Bad acid reflux feels a lot like a heart attack

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010

But I still felt dumb.

well thank god it wasn't anything serious

how much would it have cost to get you taken by ambulance anyway

psychoticdream on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited April 2010
    Imagine I baked you a cake, and put nuts in, without knowing that you're allergic to nuts.

And then you're like "you fucker why did you put nuts in, you know I'm allergic"

And I'm like "I didn't know you were allergic!"

And you're like "oh okay well don't do it again you nearly killed me"

The intention was to be nice!

But if I bake you a cake and I fill it with poison and kill you because I believe that if you are poisoned by a cake then you get into like a special member's section of heaven that is even sweeter,
    then "good intentions" doesn't really cover it.

bongi on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    panic attacks always feel like a heart attack for me

i'm fucked if i ever get a heart attack, though, because i'd probably just assume it was anxiety-related chest pains

satansfingers on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Lord Dave wrote: »

But I still felt dumb.

Bad acid reflux feels a lot like a heart attack

In fact, over the course of my whole cancer treatment I'm pretty sure the only time I genuinely felt like "oh my god I am going to die right the fuck now, goodbye world" was the first night I got the bad indigestion

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm not saying their intentions absolve them I just found your characterization of their actions to be inaccurate, bongi.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    JP2 was much better and much more understanding.

Man JP2 wasn't that great. I mean yeah it's nice that they brought back Jeff Goldblum but really how stupid were the bad guys? And what the fuck Vince Vaughn. Every single character was a stupid over-the-top caricature of a one-line stereotype.

Overall, JP1 was way better.
    I regret nothing.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    phujckphujck Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Is the church okay with contraception when it's a priest with deaf children, or does he still have to go without?

phujck on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    those children could totally hear if only they applied themselves and tried harder

Faricazy on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    phujck wrote: »
    Is the church okay with contraception when it's a priest with deaf children, or does he still have to go without?

Priests shouldn't be having kids.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited April 2010

it's funny because catholic priests are all pedophiles, get it?

do you get it?

I get it

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    oh is that what he meant?

TheStig on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    speaking of pedophiles, i work with an 18 year old who is dating a 14 year old.

what's up with that?

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Come on now.

Let's stop focusing on the negative.

Let's think about all the good things the Catholic church has done.

They commissioned and saved a lot of great art!

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Cloudman wrote: »

what's up with that?

You should call the cops on him and ruin his life forever.

TheStig on
  • Options
    phujckphujck Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You think it's funny that the catholic church is full of predatory sex fiends on the hunt for anyone untainted by puberty? I think that's more scary than funny.

And a little funny.

phujck on
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Come on now.

They also ruined masterpieces by ridding them of all their dicks.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    TheStig wrote: »

what's up with that?

To be fair it's possible they aren't having sex.

But I kind of doubt that.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Come on now.

They also ruined masterpieces by ridding them of all their dicks.

they were full of jealousy

psychoticdream on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

do you get it?

I get it

nah i don't think that's it

satansfingers on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

do you get it?

I get it

is it because he's holding a glass of milk?

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Come on now.

with naked men in it

grody

Nuzak on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm not saying their intentions absolve them I just found your characterization of their actions to be inaccurate, bongi.

And I am saying it makes a difference to the sum of slightly less than a single iota.

bongi on
  • Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    TheStig wrote: »

what's up with that?

Maybe not. I think there are a couple states where the age of consent is 14.
    Anyway you know what is the worst? Those girls from high school who dated guys who were in college and then they were all uppity about it. "I'm so mature blah blah blah."
    Bitch you realize in order to date a 16 year old your 23 year old boyfriend has to be an immense fucking loser, right?

YoSoyTheWalrus on
    tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010

do you get it?

I get it

what is the deal with you and milk

satansfingers on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

do you get it?

I get it

what is the deal with you and milk

that is an exceptionally old forum joke, and the same one I named MilkGlass after

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    t Lord Dave thanks man that makes me feel better and less dumb about going to the hospital.
    You think it's funny that the catholic church is full of predatory sex fiends on the hunt for anyone untainted by puberty? I think that's more scary than funny.

And a little funny.

For what it is worth Pope Benny has done more to punish pedophiles than his predecessor. Albeit only as pope.
    Father Maciel was one of these sort of charismatic figures who was very skilled at generating a following, and very skilled at ingratiating himself in senior levels in Rome.

For several decades, there had been sex abuse allegations lodged against him. One case filed under church law came from a handful of ex-members. And it went to then-Cardinal Ratzinger's office at the Vatican in the mid-'90s, where, essentially, the Vatican set on the allegation until 2001. After 2001, with this change I've described in Cardinal Ratzinger's attitude to this issue, they re-launched the investigation against Father Marcial. Even so, it was widely believed that nothing would happen to him, because Father Marcial was protected at the most senior levels of the church, all the way up to and including Pope John Paul II.

So that when Benedict was elected, a matter of just months after his election, in effect, the hammer came down. Father Marcial was taken out of priestly ministry and was instructed by the new pope to go live a life of prayer and penance. This is widely taken to be a finding of guilt. And, essentially, the conclusion that Catholic insiders drew from that episode is that even someone as prominent and well connected as Father Marcial - if even that guy is not safe under the new pope, then no one is. I mean, in other words, the conclusion was there's a new sheriff in town.

Zoel on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Benny Ratz: Sheriff Pope

This Fall on CBS

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    but jean paul was so ollldddd and hollyyyyyy

Meissnerd on