As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Custom Built Computer Freezing

OtistheGuardOtistheGuard Registered User regular
Ok so I built a computer about a month ago. The computer started freezing at random from the beginning. However, since I started gaming about 2 weeks ago I've been seeing crashes fairly frequently.

Specs:
DVD BURN SAMSUNG | SH-S222A BK % - OEM
Hard drive 250G|SAMG 16M SATA HD253GJ % - OEM
Video card VGA SAPPHIRE 100287VGAL HD5670 512M - Retail
WIN HOME PREM 7 64-BIT ENG 1PK DSP - OEM
Motherboard GIGABYTE|GA-MA785GM-US2H RT - Retail
CPU AMD|ATH II X3 435 AM3 R - Retail
MEM 2Gx2|GSK F2-6400CL5D-4GBNT
PSU TT | W0070RUC 430W RTL - Retai
CASE TT|VJ60001N2Z BK RT - Retail
Netgear WLAN USB adapter

What will happen is the screen will go black and the sound will continue for a little bit, until I assume the sound file duration ends. I do not get any error messages. Then the sound will become distorted like a DJ on a record. I have not noticed one program alone do this. I've gotten crashes right after windows loads, while browsing in firefox, and while playing games. I'm not sure if my computer crashes only when my wireless is being used, but it certianly feels like it. When I unplugged my wireless adapter to play single player I had no problems.

I've attempted to look at the event viewer, but I have yet to notice a pattern except for this: Audit events have been dropped by the transport. 0. I have googled it but found no leads from that.

I have a crash log that I've written down. The only leads I get from that suggest that crashes happen when I am loading something, they never happen while idle. Later tonight I'm going to go on a driver updating spree, but I was wondering if any of you guys had some suggestions.

EDIT: I forgot to mention. It never actually crashing while I'm playing, only when I'm loading maps, looking through menus, and the like.

SC2: Cleomenes.943
XBL: Aspis 9
Lotro (Landroval): Cleomenes [Champion], Ilithano [Captain]
OtistheGuard on

• Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Sounds like it is over heating. The cpu.. Did you put too much thermal paste?

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Nope, the CPU Processor and Heatsink already had paste on them. It said it the manual.

As of right now, after just turning on my computer SpeedFan says I'm at 32 Degree Celsius. I have only one fan, running at 1790rpm.

However, if my problem was overheating wouldn't my computer be more likely to crash when I'm in the middle of the game, instead of the menus?

OtistheGuard on
  • Options
    hjparcinshjparcins Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Could have a bad RAM. I had some wacky shit happen to my computer (like booting up, getting to windows and immediately rebooting over and over again, random crashes and freezes, blue screens...) and it turned out I just had a bad stick of ram.

Take em out one at a time and see what happens.

hjparcins on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yea I did consider doing a mem test, but I'd have to find some rewritable CDs so I can run the memtest on start up. At least, the memtest86 looks like it works that way. If bad memory is my problem, which I've felt could be the problem, would the test notice?

OtistheGuard on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yea I did consider doing a mem test, but I'd have to find some rewritable CDs so I can run the memtest on start up. At least, the memtest86 looks like it works that way. If bad memory is my problem, which I've felt could be the problem, would the test notice?

Absolutely it will. Memtest86 is great for checking stability, but if you have bad RAM, it's going to be popping up errors pretty quick (at least it has in my experience).

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ok so I built a computer about a month ago. The computer started freezing at random from the beginning.

Just some friendly advice for the future. Next time you build a system and this happens, troubleshoot it immediately. Every time your system hard locks and you have to ungracefully power it down you risk file corruption. Also, bad memory can lead to file corruption. The worst part is: you may not find out about til long down the road. Go to open your archived tax return, corrupt. Go to open the backup, corrupt, because you have been backing up the corrupt file for so long any good copy is long gone.

travathian on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yea I've definitely procrastinated on this one, but luckily I have nothing but games on this computer so any corruption is not a problem. All of my school and personal files are on my laptop.

Update later tonight after I run the memtest.

OtistheGuard on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ok I spent about 30 minutes trying to get memtest86 working, when I stumbled upon a memory test as part of Windows 7. It ran it and found no errors. Is this reliable? Or should I continue trying to figure out why my computer won't boot using the memtest cd?

I was messing around with some other things and noticed something. There is a program for my USB adapter, WPN111. It was going crazy, like it was opening and closing constantly. However, Windows 7 was hiding the icon from me down in the taskbar. I've stopped booting it on startup, because I've always felt my symptoms were internet related. I'm going to try this for the rest of the night and get back to work tomorrow.

OtistheGuard on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I have had memtest not find any errors before and still have bad ram. Try running the computer with 1 stick of ram. If you have no more problems then you know its the ram.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Just crashed, here are the events right before the crash:

Unloading the performance counter strings for service WmiApRpl (WmiApRpl) failed. The first DWORD in the Data section contains the error code.

The performance strings in the Performance registry value is corrupted when process Performance extension counter provider. The BaseIndex value from the Performance registry is the first DWORD in the Data section, LastCounter value is the second DWORD in the Data section, and LastHelp value is the third DWORD in the Data section.

WLAN AutoConfig service has successfully stopped. ---- Only a warning

Can anyone decode that to English?

OtistheGuard on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Other people are having the same problem.. Can't find solution..

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/28902-42-wlan-autoconfig-service-successfully-stopped

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    0blique0blique Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You could try running Linux on it and see if you can duplicate the crashes. Then you would be able to determine if it more of a hardware or a software issue.

0blique on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ok well I took both memory sticks out, got crashes with both in. Now I installed them in channel 1, so that may be the overall problem, but I was under the impression you have to use channel 1 first.

So I'm looking for other ideas. Linux is a good idea, but I'm not certain how to install it and use it properly.

EDIT: In fact, I AM looking for other ideas. Duh.

OtistheGuard on
  • Options
    0blique0blique Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The easiest way is to download a distribution like Knoppix that you just burn on a DVD and boot off of it. You don't have to install anything, but it should still let you browse the web and do other basic tasks to see if you can crash your computer with it.

0blique on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ok well I took both memory sticks out, got crashes with both in. Now I installed them in channel 1, so that may be the overall problem, but I was under the impression you have to use channel 1 first.

So I'm looking for other ideas. Linux is a good idea, but I'm not certain how to install it and use it properly.

EDIT: In fact, I AM looking for other ideas. Duh.

Yeah some mobos have the pairs go in..

Channel 1 and 3
    Channels 2 and 4

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I read the manual, memory works 1-3 and 2-4. Can I put my sticks in Channel 2 to see if the connection for channel 1 is the problem?

OtistheGuard on
  • Options
    1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If you want, try installing the RAM in only slot 1, then only 2, then only 3, then only 4. If everything runs OK that way, repeat with the other stick (only put one in at a time).

There are better ways to test memory but without access to a specific tester (expensive) this is the easiest way to check the hardware without software to confirm.

That said, I seem to remember installing memtest, then it rebooting and running before start without a CD

1ddqd on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Hmm well tomorrow I'm dedicating my free time to troubleshooting this, so I'll try it again. Maybe I'm trying the wrong memtest.

OtistheGuard on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    When a memtest has problems, it means the RAM is bad.

But when it DOESN'T have problems, that DOESN'T mean the RAM is good. It could still be bad.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010

But when it DOESN'T have problems, that DOESN'T mean the RAM is good. It could still be bad.

Yeah I hate it when memtest says the ram is good and the ram is bad.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Not trying to hijack the thread, but....

I'm having a very similar issue to the OP with a pre-built comp I bought off Newegg about a month ago.

Specifically this one. Linking these, too. Because I don't know if they can be a cause or not.

I have the same problem with the computer freezing (primarily) during games, except the screen doesn't go black. Just stay's on whatever screen I was looking at when it froze. Happened a couple times when I wasn't running a game.

Unfortunately I know nothing about computers. So I was kinda glad to see this thread show up so I could follow along. I decided to look for that memtest86, but then there's three options for d/l.

"Here is some pre-compiled distributions of memtest86+. Memtest86+ comes in three different way, first is a pre-build bootable ISO, second is a bootable binary and third an installable package for creating a bootable floppy. Third version are compressed in .zip and .tar.gz."

So, because I know nothing about computers, I don't know which I should get.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Burn the iso of memtest to a cd using cdxpburner or copy the file to a floppy and boot that.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Thanks!

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    EliteLamer wrote: »

I tried the memory sticks one at a time, but I suppose both sticks of memory could be bad.

Was stuck at the GFs today, so couldn't get to troubleshooting today. Maybe tomorrow.

Could not having a large enough power supply be causing this? Because I only have 430W.

OtistheGuard on
  • Options
    HoundxHoundx Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    WLAN AutoConfig service has successfully stopped. ---- Only a warning

Try running without the USB wifi adapter attached.

Houndx on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I tried the memory sticks one at a time, but I suppose both sticks of memory could be bad.

Was stuck at the GFs today, so couldn't get to troubleshooting today. Maybe tomorrow.

Could not having a large enough power supply be causing this? Because I only have 430W.

430 is kinda small.. Whats the complete specs of the computer?

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Specs:
    DVD BURN SAMSUNG | SH-S222A BK % - OEM
    Hard drive 250G|SAMG 16M SATA HD253GJ % - OEM
    Video card VGA SAPPHIRE 100287VGAL HD5670 512M - Retail
    WIN HOME PREM 7 64-BIT ENG 1PK DSP - OEM
    Motherboard GIGABYTE|GA-MA785GM-US2H RT - Retail
    CPU AMD|ATH II X3 435 AM3 R - Retail
    Memory 2Gx2|GSK F2-6400CL5D-4GBNT
    PSU TT | W0070RUC 430W RTL - Retai
    CASE TT|VJ60001N2Z BK RT - Retail
    Netgear WLAN USB adapter

If my memory serves me correctly, I've never had the computer crash when my USB WLAN was not plugged in. Further testing is required though.

OtistheGuard on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    A 5670 hardly needs power at all.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Alright well here is my game plan. I experience problems only when loading (windows, web pages, maps in games, etc) so I will start off with loading items w/o my USB wireless adapter card. After loading like 50 maps and restarting the computer a few times I'll document how many crashes occurred. Also I'll document which errors in event viewer come up with each crash.

Then I'll try the same thing with only one memory stick in slot 1, one memory stick in slot 2, and without my Video card in.

This process should theoretically test for memory problems, power problems (because the video card is out), or the wireless USB causing the problem.

Note: I did experience some crashes with similar symptoms before I bought the WLAN. I keep wanting to blame the USB WLAN because its been acting weird since I got it. If I leave the USB plugged in on startup it won't connect to the wireless, and I have to unplug and plug it back in. Along with the symptoms already mentioned in this thread.

OtistheGuard on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ok so I tried the following:
    • No WLAN USB
    • Either Memory Stick in slot 1 or 2
    • Tweaking settings in the BIOS
    • Disabling the onboard VGA
    • Reformatting

Right now I'm downloading everything after the reformat. However, after I installed the WLAN USB adapter my computer crashed. This time the computer output a blue screen of death. The screen wasn't there long enough for me to write down.

So... I'm gonna download stuff and try it again tomorrow.

OtistheGuard on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Does device manager show any conflicts?

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Nope. The WLAN USB adapter is working properly. No other devices are messed up.

It also crashed and restarted while I was downloading my video drivers. I wasn't at the computer when it happened, and I can't open the error report file in notepad. I'll just wait for the next crash to get info.

EDIT: Ok found an event that seems like the error report.

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000001e (0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 040510-32604-01.

I've looked into the error, seems I'm missing some info. I'll get back to this tomorrow.

OtistheGuard on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    After googling that error, all signs point to bad memory. The manufacturer does allow returns, so I think I'll attempt to get my sticks swapped out. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, I saw bad reviews on newegg saying they had to replace the memory. You just never think it would happen to you...

OtistheGuard on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That chipset is a little finicky both with USB loading (if you've got too many USB devices, especially ones that transfer data) and with memory compatibility. You might want to hop into the BIOS and make sure memory interleaving (can't remember what they call it in those, something stupid and non-obvious... you'll probably have to look it up) is disabled / lower the memory speed / increase memory latency (do one thing at a time) to see if that helps out.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Is it DCTs mode? I have two choices, ganged (single dual-channel) and unganged (two single channels, Default).

I have a memory clock option. There is Auto (default) and these choices:
    X2.00
    X2.66
    X3.33
    X4.00
    X5.33

I have a large section of DDRII timings, all set to auto:
    CAS# Latency
    RAS to CAS R/W Delay
    Row Precharge Time
    Minimum RAS Active Time
    1T/2T Command Timing
    TwTr Command Delay
    Trfc0 for DIMM1
    Trfc2 for DIMM2
    Trfc1 for DIMM3
    Trfc3 for DIMM4
    Write Recovery Time
    Precharge Time
    Row Cycle Time
    RAS to RAS Delay

Here's a link to the manual, in case Interleaving isn't above.

I have 3 USB devices: mouse, keyboard, and USB WLAN adapter.

OtistheGuard on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Pretty sure it's ganged/unganged, give unganged a try if it's not already set that way (you might have to move one of your sticks over.)

Try that before messing with any of the memory clock speed or latency stuff.

For Memory latency, you'll have to look up the stats on your stick, and then adjust the core ones (CAS Latency, RAS to CAS Delay, RAS Precharge, and active-to-precharge (offhand I'm not sure which of your options represents active-to-precharge) to something just a little bit slower than their specs to see if it helps.

Also, I should have thought of this first, but: those motherboards don't come with chipset fans, just a heatsink. Pop open your case and have a look at the heatsink between your video card and your CPU HSF.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128394

If you expand a picture of the board, it's a black heatsink with a blue 'gigabyte' plate, between the PCI-E slot and the CPU socket. I assume yours likewise won't have active cooling: try adding a little fan to that heatsink and see if your problems don't just go away, before even touching memory settings. If you don't have a little fan, a big house-fan works as a temporary solution for testing. EDIT: I've seen this firsthand on similar boards, and your symptoms fit pretty well. This might be all it is, with your system instability getting worse as the weather gets nicer and ambient temperature goes up a bit. Definitely find a way to try this as a fix.

Those CPUs aren't prone to overheating (you can check your temperature settings with HWMonitor anyway) so I doubt that's the issue. Ditto with the video-card. But I see a lot of freezes/turn offs/reboots on those chipsets when there isn't active cooling.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ok so I should pickup a fan that blasts on that heat sink? Or can I just install a fan on the front of the case? There's a spot for an extra 120mm fan on the front of the case.

My CPU temps are usually around 45 degree C.

OtistheGuard on
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    430 is kinda small.. Whats the complete specs of the computer?

Go check any number of online PSU calculators to see just how wrong you are.

travathian on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ok so I should pickup a fan that blasts on that heat sink? Or can I just install a fan on the front of the case? There's a spot for an extra 120mm fan on the front of the case.

My CPU temps are usually around 45 degree C.

Yeah that's totally fine as a CPU temp.

I'd definitely first try a fan blowing directly on the chipset HSF first to see if that's all that's doing it (and really there's a good chance it is,) use a house-fan if you've got one with the side of the case off to test it. At 45C it's not the CPU, and with a 5xxx it's unlikely the GPU (though if you want, check the ATI overdrive portion of the catalyst control panel, and tell us the heat.)

I build a fair number of systems each year, and usually (not always) the people who buy them want fast but mostly cheap, so I pick speedy motherboards on the cheaper side of things (yours would qualify,) and as a general rule the lower-end motherboards omit fans for the chipset. I've found it to cause problems often enough that I always add them myself now, before even selling one.

If you've got a house-fan somewhere, you can take the side of the case off and test it, and then you know you've got an easy fix without spending any money. At worst, you'll have to stick a fan on the 'gigabyte' branded heatsink, and an exhaust fan for your case. Really not an expensive fix.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    QuantuxQuantux Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So the end result was:

usb wifi dongle = BSOD
    No dongle = Everything's fine

You have a bad device there, or as others have said, a picky mobo. If it all works until the driver is loaded, my bet would be bad device as it's pulling power from the mainboard as soon as it's plugged in. But who knows, maybe the first step in the driver is "crank the radio power to 11" and your mainboard's chipset is wonky enough to not like more than the standard 5v over usb. Either way, the best option is to used a wired connection. If thats not practical (hiding 25' of CAT5 is easier than you think) then get a pci card. And be sure to test lots of random usb devices (drives, cameras, printers, gamepads, etc) to definitively rule out the mainboard usb controller.

Quantux on
    PSN/Steam - Quantux