Options

Just Cause 2: This game is still awesome

• Options
    hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, I played around trying to get monster base jumps around there in the demo and I kept tobogganing down the mountain.. sans toboggan. The ragdoll physics are great but watching Rico bounce morosely down a mountain side and not being able to do ANYTHING for a good five minutes was kinda annoying. So now I just don't go near mountainsides.

The easiest way is definitely from on top of the balloons in the Mile High Club, but I'm sure there's less cheap ways. Also, I don't think it counts grapple launches for base jumping purposes either. Otherwise you could grapple onto a jet and let go, or grapple from one cliff face to an object above you then cancel the grapple and get a height and speed boost.

I really need to get an unbreakable grapple rope mod, because my attempts to cause boat and chopper mayhem are always foiled by the rope snapping as soon as I attach it. Or right afterward.

I wanna see if I can grapple a car to a 747 and use that as a wrecking ball.

Hardest part is getting the right sized car close enough to a jet and having time to get everything hooked up and taxi out to the runway and stuff, without getting exploded.

I really should have played on Casual. Even normal is getting to be too hard and I only have four heat levels.

Maybe infinite health is something I should look into for random explodey sprees. The missions tend to be fairly easy, it's the running around blowing stuff up that gets you dead really fast. The mission I had the most trouble with was the one with Karl on the freeway in the beginning. Had to do that two or three times. Finally I figured out the fastest way was to just shoot out the tires.

As for the checkpoint system, for normal non-mission gameplay, there's really not checkpoints as much as it autosaves every time you do something significant, and if you die, and hit continue you go to the nearest conquered stronghold (or Karl's house) and don't lose any progress, have full health, and the amount of ammo you died with. In missions, you go back to the start of the segment you're on with the amount of health and ammo and things done/exploded you had at that point.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    Have you guys like... actually tried to buy multiple things from the black market at once? If you call the black market guy immediately after the item drops, it goes straight into the black market menu. You really wouldn't save any time buying multiple things at once. At best, you would save a few button presses.

Or they could have just let you buy multiple things at once by bringing up the menu once, just like every other game on Earth does.

And no mods for me, I was given a console release.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Is there a good, reliable mod that gives me all the money and unlocks?

All I want is to spawn in a crap load of stuff :(

Icemopper on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Icemopper wrote: »

there are mods that unlock all BM stuff and make them free.
    But I warn you that it's the kind of thing that kills games.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    dmaurodmauro Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

And I should warn you not to believe this guy. That's the way to make the game even better.

dmauro on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    dmauro wrote: »

And I should warn you not to believe this guy. That's the way to make the game even better.

Sure, just like IDDQD and IDKFA... RUINED DOOM FOR ME...
    boohooohoo D:

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm ok with "ruining" this game. I wouldn't do it to some others, but I want big guns and fast jets, and I don't want to wait or have to hunt for them.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I just showed the Bolo Santosi video to a friend who grew up in Singapore. His verdict was that yeah, it's basically an authentic accent but she's still overpronouncing it.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I haven't had time to really test it/observe it (7 hours in), but for the purposes of taking over a town (a la the old game), does eliminating all the military presence count?

I noticed that in one of the larger sections of Panau City (the first one the story really takes you to) I was popping 1 - 2% per water tower/pickup, and as my completion percentage grew there were more random encounters with the gang forces and the military. Has anyone else observed this? Perhaps this is in the manual that I neglected to read. /ponder

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Pete0rPete0r Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Eurogamer News...
    Square Enix has announced plans to release a pair of downloadable add-ons for Just Cause 2 - one at the end of April and another at the end of May.

The two packs will be £1.99 and 160 Microsoft Points apiece on PlayStation Network and Xbox Live respectively. A PC version will also be sold through Steam for £1.99.

The first, the Black Market Aerial Pack, is due out on 29th April and introduces the F-33 Dragon Fly Jet Fighter (a plane with twin missiles and quad-mounted mini-guns), the Multi-lock Missile Launcher (laser-guided auto-lock on up to four targets) and the hopefully self-explanatory Parachute Dual Thrusters.

The Black Market Boom Pack, meanwhile, is out on 25th May and offers up the Quad Rocket Launcher, Cluster Bomb Launcher and Air Propulsion Gun. The latter's apparently useful for sending enemies and vehicles skywards.

Pete0r on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I haven't had time to really test it/observe it (7 hours in), but for the purposes of taking over a town (a la the old game), does eliminating all the military presence count?

I noticed that in one of the larger sections of Panau City (the first one the story really takes you to) I was popping 1 - 2% per water tower/pickup, and as my completion percentage grew there were more random encounters with the gang forces and the military. Has anyone else observed this? Perhaps this is in the manual that I neglected to read. /ponder

People don't count towards a town completion percentage. It's crates and chaos only. You may just have been in a huge area.

I spent a lot of time this morning bombing around the skull island in the centre of the map. A chopper showed up and handily destroyed a load of silos for me. Then I hijacked it and took out a bunch of SAM
    sites.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Pete0r wrote: »
    Eurogamer News...
    Square Enix has announced plans to release a pair of downloadable add-ons for Just Cause 2 - one at the end of April and another at the end of May.

The two packs will be £1.99 and 160 Microsoft Points apiece on PlayStation Network and Xbox Live respectively. A PC version will also be sold through Steam for £1.99.

The first, the Black Market Aerial Pack, is due out on 29th April and introduces the F-33 Dragon Fly Jet Fighter (a plane with twin missiles and quad-mounted mini-guns), the Multi-lock Missile Launcher (laser-guided auto-lock on up to four targets) and the hopefully self-explanatory Parachute Dual Thrusters.

The Black Market Boom Pack, meanwhile, is out on 25th May and offers up the Quad Rocket Launcher, Cluster Bomb Launcher and Air Propulsion Gun. The latter's apparently useful for sending enemies and vehicles skywards.

Can we now all shut up about how they're going to release all speculated DLC for free? Thanks.

But seeing as these are clearly Black Market items, I'm not so stoked. I hate how expensive shit is on the Black Market. In mercenary mode, your Black Market items should be like 90% off.

Why is there a time sink in this game with how slowly money trickles in and how quickly it can trickle out? Sure, you can farm money doing short races, but you shouldn't have to. This is a sandbox game, and the point is to fuck around and have fun. They've created a fantastic world in which to do that and fantastic mechanics, but by making Black Market items so expensive, it makes the player weary of buying that cool shit just the fuck around.

Right now, I purposely keep a seperate save game for fucking around. Once you've beaten the game and are only working toward percentage completion, that shouldn't be necessary.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »
    I mentioned being able to do that in the last thread and was mocked. I shall be the better man and not stoop so low.

Wankers.

Go give it a try.

It's a glitch that it counts as a base jump. Other people have used the air balloon on youtube for a base jump, but they've had to drag it up with a helicopter first.

The game tries to make base jumps count front land/buildings only (excluding the mile high club, which apparently counts as a "building."

I specifically said it was possible only with glitching, and it is.

Silly goose.

Figgy on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Figgy wrote: »
    I mentioned being able to do that in the last thread and was mocked. I shall be the better man and not stoop so low.

Wankers.

Go give it a try.

It's a glitch that it counts as a base jump. Other people have used the air balloon on youtube for a base jump, but they've had to drag it up with a helicopter first.

The game tries to make base jumps count front land/buildings only (excluding the mile high club, which apparently counts as a "building."

I specifically said it was possible only with glitching, and it is.

Silly goose.

I simply said it was possible to do it, I never said it wasn't a glitch. And the MHC only counts as basejump-able as it's stationary..... or something. I dunno, the ruling on it within the framework of the games coding is really lose.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Eurogamer News...

Can we now all shut up about how they're going to release all speculated DLC for free? Thanks.

But seeing as these are clearly Black Market items, I'm not so stoked. I hate how expensive shit is on the Black Market. In mercenary mode, your Black Market items should be like 90% off.

Why is there a time sink in this game with how slowly money trickles in and how quickly it can trickle out? Sure, you can farm money doing short races, but you shouldn't have to. This is a sandbox game, and the point is to fuck around and have fun. They've created a fantastic world in which to do that and fantastic mechanics, but by making Black Market items so expensive, it makes the player weary of buying that cool shit just the fuck around.

Right now, I purposely keep a seperate save game for fucking around. Once you've beaten the game and are only working toward percentage completion, that shouldn't be necessary.

There are mods for all that too.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    You sound like the guy in those annoying Iphone ads, "There's an app for that!".

Anywho, those DLC items were revealed by Gibb or whatever he's callin himself back when the demo was released. H'd gotten into the demo code and found a reference list that contained not only the items in the retail version but future DLC too.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Anywho, those DLC items were revealed by Gibb or whatever he's callin himself back when the demo was released. H'd gotten into the demo code and found a reference list that contained not only the items in the retail version but future DLC too.

It's Gibbed. He's also responsible for the suite of modding tools I use for Saints Row 2. The guy outputs an incredible amount of work for a large variety of games. :^:

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I was close! I just remembered mention of him from the official JC forums is all.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    You sound like the guy in those annoying Iphone ads, "There's an app for that!".

I never saw any apple ads
    and what I say is true
    and Gibbed is fucking awesome.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    He had a mod out for the demo within three days. The list of all the DLC, even those just announced days ago before the demo was five days old. And his post retail release game mods are everything the fans wanted. Yeah, he's alright.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    DaSniper91DaSniper91 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Eurogamer News...

Races give you tons of cash. You can repeat the easy ones too.

DaSniper91 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    He mentions the races pretty clearly.Also, why does nobody mention the Quad Rocket Launcher? Its a shotgun/rocket launcher. It is s the best idea ever.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Installing the game now. A little wary of how much time this game could possibly eat up, further strengthening my backlog.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    DaSniper91 wrote: »
    Eurogamer News...

Races give you tons of cash. You can repeat the easy ones too.

I said exactly that, and how the hell is $20,000 "tons of cash" when that's not even enough for a single supply drop?

I don't want to have to farm cash for this game. Repeating easy races over and over is doing exactly that.

It's silly.

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    So what difficulty do you guys recommend? Is it like Red Faction Guerrilla, where Easy is the only way you'll enjoy the game?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So what difficulty do you guys recommend? Is it like Red Faction Guerrilla, where Easy is the only way you'll enjoy the game?

I would definitely recommend easy, because by endgame the enemies get ridiculously tough and accurate and you die in three seconds. Put it on a harder difficulty for a later playthrough, maybe, but if you want to 100% it (or just 75% or whatever) you'll want to do it on easy.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I just don't get this mentality. RF:G was only hard for the first hour, until you learned how to play the game sneaky-sneaky and GUERRILLA-LIKE and it became almost embarrassingly easy. JC2 is the same. Use the tools you have - grapple around the map and you won't get shot. Pull enemies off their feet and you won't get shot. Hijack helicopters instead of trying to shoot them and you just won't get shot. If you play either of these games like a standard 3rd-person-shooter, you'll find it difficult. If you play with the tools you're given, it becomes childishly simple.

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    hmm. I"m playing on Hardcore, and there hasn't really been much in the way of problems so far. of the 282 kills I've made, 92 of them have been on elites, and I spend the majority of my time on foot anyhow. o_O I don't think that will change, even as more helicopters seem to come. Been using the DLC sniper rifle and really just fighting from a distance/hit and runny.

what's been killing my enjoyment of the game is the civilian AI... it's such a downer when you're driving up the street (or fighting or whatever) and you observe one of the following happening:

1) you turn to avoid hitting a civilian, they jump under the car as a result.
    2) a civilian kills himself by jumping into a brick wall.
    3) a civilian crouches in place instead of running away when I shoot the at the ground.
    4) a civilian crouches in place instead of running away when I honk my horn while driving in the middle of a park. o_O

then there's the civilian pipeline workers, who yell "Don't kill me", but also don't run when I'm about to blow the damn thing up. then there's the people who decide to camp out at gas stations... or near anything that can explode. :T

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I once jumped from an oil rig with full health. There was an enemy on a lower level who couldn't seen me until I fell past him. He still managed to shoot me dead before I hit the water.

I've killed around 3000 guys, and more than half of them were elites (someone needs to explain the definition of 'elite' to these guys), and while it's fine at the start, towards the end their damage and accuracy scale up so much that you can grapple to a point and open your parachute halfway through, and the one machinegunner will just keep hitting you anyway.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    hmm. I"m playing on Hardcore, and there hasn't really been much in the way of problems so far. of the 282 kills I've made, 92 of them have been on elites, and I spend the majority of my time on foot anyhow. o_O I don't think that will change, even as more helicopters seem to come. Been using the DLC sniper rifle and really just fighting from a distance/hit and runny

That's a low kill count, so I'm assuming you are very early on in the game. By the time you get further in, you'll see what we mean. It's not impossible, but it's frustrating when a shotgun blast can kill you in one hit from 50 meters away.

And that's after over 100 armour pieces.

Figgy on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    No, the best thing are enemies that spawn inside an inaccessible building and shoot you from inside.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

Easy and BOLOpatch for unlimited ammo was a sweet spot I found.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    No, the best thing are enemies that spawn inside an inaccessible building and shoot you from inside.

haha yeah motherfuckers.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    What's hard, hijacking a plane?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    DaSniper91DaSniper91 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    flying w/o yaw

rofl

DaSniper91 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Is it possible to get the not-harrier to hover?

My only major complaint about this game is how stupid hard it is to land planes.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, I had a little problem with that too. Turns out trying to land a plane in a firefight on the edge of a building is a problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa4uXWoV47A

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited April 2010
    hmm. I"m playing on Hardcore, and there hasn't really been much in the way of problems so far. of the 282 kills I've made, 92 of them have been on elites, and I spend the majority of my time on foot anyhow. o_O I don't think that will change, even as more helicopters seem to come. Been using the DLC sniper rifle and really just fighting from a distance/hit and runny

That's a low kill count, so I'm assuming you are very early on in the game. By the time you get further in, you'll see what we mean. It's not impossible, but it's frustrating when a shotgun blast can kill you in one hit from 50 meters away.

And that's after over 100 armour pieces.

Well firstly, I generally avoid killing people unless I absolutely have to. Extended duration firefights just spawn more guards which raises heat which spawns more guards and choppers and jeeps and lol-dead. That count was about halfway through the story missions (got up to ~500 though since I need 750 kills for the achievement). shotgun blasts do have reach, but I'm just not seeing any problems between now and mercenary mode.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, I had a little problem with that too. Turns out trying to land a plane in a firefight on the edge of a building is a problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa4uXWoV47A

private

Nuzak on