As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Total Netflix of the Heart

• Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    the second season of party down is starting and it's great

the whole first season is on instant and they're putting up each episode of the second season the same day it airs (fridays)

so everyone should watch that show

satansfingers on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited April 2010
    Been whittling through my Instant Netflix queue.

Down Periscope is far too enjoyable for a movie that is essentially just to whore out Kelsey Grammer's 15 minutes of fame. It's supposed to be shitty and awful, like every Tim Allen movie I've seen! But in actuality, it's just as funny as I remember when watching it like a decade and a half ago. More probably, since I get most of the jokes now.

Peggy Sue Got Married was pretty dang good. Interesting feel-good movie with a slight twist that turned out pretty well.

this better not be dissin' on galaxy quest

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Down Periscope is good

I like Kelsey Grammar though so

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh man, I knew mentioning Tim Allen would backfire on me. I was thinking about stuff like Jungle 2 Jungle.

No, Galaxy Quest was a fantastic movie.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    TLHTLH Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Tim Allen was also in Toy Story.

I know this because I have made the same dis-Tim Allen mistake. In fact, I was sent back in time to warn you. Got caught up in that camera whore thread though. Apologies.

TLH on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Big Trouble was good but definitely not because of Tim Allen.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Faricazy wrote: »
    spono wrote: »
    some of us don't have HBO, Mr. Fari Fancypants

there's this thing called the internet you may have heard of it

what the fuck is the internet

spono on
    640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    some of us don't have HBO, Mr. Fari Fancypants

there's this thing called the internet you may have heard of it

what the fuck is the internet

it is a torrent of information

Faricazy on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It's a series of tubes!

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    it's a cool place for kids to just hang out and be themselves

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    it's a cool place for kids to just hang out and be themselves

naked

Faricazy on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    YaYa wrote: »
    oh for fuck's sake

so, in the second week of my cinema studies course we watch this experimental french film called La Jetee, which is about time travel fuckery and ends with a pretty massive twist

I sit down to watch 12 Monkeys, see "inspired by La Jetee" in the credits in the first three minutes, and I'm immediately able to work out the entire plot

thanks, higher education
    I think this is your problem more than it is anything else's.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I haven't seen La Jetee or 12 Monkeys

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Well apparently you only have to see one or the other.

TLH on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh man, I knew mentioning Tim Allen would backfire on me. I was thinking about stuff like Jungle 2 Jungle.

No, Galaxy Quest was a fantastic movie.

It was mostly because of Segorne Weaver, Tony Shalub and Sam Rockwell though.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    see 12 Monkeys

La Jetee's nice and all but 12 Monkeys is a great movie

YaYa on
  • Options
    RobchamRobcham The Rabbit King of your pantsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Tell me more opinions about Galaxy Quest

Robcham on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Robcham wrote: »
    Tell me more opinions about Galaxy Quest

Alan Rickman in bad alien makeup. You really should watch it.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Alan Rickman is hilarious.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    RobchamRobcham The Rabbit King of your pantsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I have already watched it and enjoyed it forever

Robcham on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Galaxy Quest was a much better film than I thought it'd be

I wouldn't consider it great

Alan Rickman is wonderful in it though

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wait, Sam Rockwell was in Galaxy Quest?

He wasn't Guy Fleegman, was he?

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Wait, Sam Rockwell was in Galaxy Quest?

He wasn't Guy Fleegman, was he?

yup

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    ohhhh

HBO might possibly do this to promote the new mad men season:

Mad-Men-NY-underground-m%C3%A9tro-ambient-marketing-alternatif-street-HBO-s%C3%A9rie-don-draper-600x400.jpg

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Why is HBO promoting Mad Men...?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    sorry

amc

:3

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    ohhhh

Mad-Men-NY-underground-m%C3%A9tro-ambient-marketing-alternatif-street-HBO-s%C3%A9rie-don-draper-600x400.jpg

I lived in a town with a major transit line. Chicago. I would so very much doubt this. Only because this show is doing fine. And transit adds cost a lot, for how many people they actually reach, on a wide scale.

TLH on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    the MTA has whored out for less

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    sorry

amc

:3

Oh thank God

Thought maybe it switched or something

I was getting myself ready for a hideously overpriced Mad Men Season 4: Volume 1 on DVD

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    they're putting up each episode of the second season the same day it airs (fridays)

Holy shit

FUCK YES

Party Down is my favorite comedy
    Except it's tied with Community and 30 Rock

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    By the way dudes, why the fuck am I not hearing anything about Treme on here? It's excellent.

Must I start a thread

i watched the first episode over the weekend, definitely something ill follow.

its annoying that TWC has no HBOHD on demand

Aretè on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    YaYa wrote: »
    oh for fuck's sake

so, in the second week of my cinema studies course we watch this experimental french film called La Jetee, which is about time travel fuckery and ends with a pretty massive twist

I sit down to watch 12 Monkeys, see "inspired by La Jetee" in the credits in the first three minutes, and I'm immediately able to work out the entire plot

thanks, higher education
    I think this is your problem more than it is anything else's.

I still say 12 Monkeys is supposed to be ambiguous as to the
    are they just fucking lunatics

question

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Popularity of 3D affecting how scripts are written
    LA Times wrote:
    When Matt Pitts, a writer on "Fringe" and a former assistant to J.J. Abrams, recently began shopping his first film script to movie studios, he knew he had a marketable idea on his hands. The title of his screenplay, after all, was " Spring Break Zombie Cruise" and its storyline followed, well, just that. But the prospect of flesh-eating creatures stalking beautiful young bodies wasn't his script's main hook. The element to catch a studio mogul's eye? A plan to shoot the project in 3-D. "In my mind it just added that extra ounce of fun," Pitts says.

Whether it's young writers trying to sell their first movie or established filmmakers trying to make their 10th, there's no savvier move these days than packaging your project as a 3-D film. Movie studios, even more than in two previous 3-D eras, have gone mad for the form, which in recent months has significantly boosted their box-office grosses. If you think we've already been inundated by 3-D with "Avatar" (which was shot in 3-D) and "Clash of the Titans" (which was converted later), get ready for a full-on deluge: nearly every big-budget holiday movie next year will be in 3-D, as will future films as diverse as the " Spider-Man" reboot, the Taylor Lautner action- comedy "Stretch Armstrong" and Martin Scorsese's children's-book adaptation "The Invention of Hugo Cabret."

But even as Hollywood goes z-axis crazy, many directors and writers are questioning the stampede. While they express a general enthusiasm for the form, they say executives don't always grasp all the complexities of adding that extra dimension. As the 3-D storm continues to gather, they point out that 3-D will affect much more than whether a filmgoer picks up a pair of glasses: It will change what films get made, and even the very nature of cinematic storytelling.

"You build sequences differently when you know things have to pop out and jump at you," says Kieran Mulroney, who with his wife, Michele, is writing the "Sherlock Holmes" sequel, which has been the subject of a number of 3-D conversations at studio Warner Bros. "I fear that if every movie becomes spectacle for the sake of spectacle, where does that leave the intimate conversation across the dinner table?"

Some high-profile filmmakers have been famously concerned about conversion, which takes footage that was shot in 2-D and turns it into 3-D. When New Line initiated several conversations about converting "A Nightmare on Elm Street" to 3-D, "we pushed back," says director Samuel Bayer. "This was shot in 2-D and was meant to be shown in 2-D." He added, "Just like I don't want to see a lot of great movies remade" — alluding to the other Hollywood vogue — "I don't want to see a lot of them in 3-D." Michael Bay, whose company produced "Nightmare," has also been dubious of the conversion process, expressing skepticism about using it for his next "Transformers" picture. "The good 3-D movies will be the ones that are constructed that way in the first place," says Bay producing partner Brad Fuller. (In a script for a potential "Friday the 13th" sequel, for instance, a kill scene was written involving a body on a zipline because the idea of a body sliding full-speed toward the audience was deemed particularly effective in 3-D.)

But the concerns go beyond conversion. There is much that is technically tricky about shooting in 3-D, including the clunky size of the cameras, which can make shooting in small spaces difficult. That's the kind of aspect that directors — even those shooting in 3-D — worry that studios are missing. "A lot of the film community is underestimating how challenging this is," says Neil Marshall, director of the acclaimed 2005 horror hit "The Descent," who is now directing his first 3-D movie, "Burst," which will be produced by Sam Raimi and Lionsgate. "It's not just a gimmick you can slap on to sell a few more tickets."

Even if it can be pulled off, creative types know that audiences will see their work differently. To watch a 3-D film is to experience a movie at a higher pitch, with objects and people flying off the screen. Even within genres that lend themselves to 3-D, such as horror, filmmakers worry about the sub-genres that are more 3-D-resistant, like a subtle ghost story. In a 3-D-crazed era, they fear that these movies will get made the wrong way or not be made at all.

"3-D continues to speak to the elimination of the middle creatively," says Justin Marks, the writer on Disney's former "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" project and Sony's action film "Shadow of the Colossus." "If you don't have an action tentpole that can conceivably be thought of in 3-D, you may as well make small indie movies because the studios aren't going to be that interested."

Meanwhile, even the films suited to the immersiveness of 3-D could wind up assaulting audiences instead of pleasurably drawing them in. "I'm a little leery of what's to come," says Marcus Dunstan, who with partner Patrick Melton has written the past three movies in the "Saw" franchise and is writing the next one — which will, of course, be in 3-D. "Watching someone get punched repeatedly in the eye is going to be nauseating in 3-D." (And when a "Saw" creator is worried about nausea, you know it could really turn your stomach.)

Dunstan, who worked on one of the first of the modern 3-D movies, the 2009 remake of "My Bloody Valentine," also is concerned that a host of inferior movies get made simply because they can accommodate some 3-D shots. "When 'Pulp Fiction' came out, we suddenly saw all these movies with fractured narratives. We saw pale imitations. And I'm afraid we're going to see that with 3-D."

Dunstan and others remain, on balance, enthusiastic about the new possibilities 3-D opens up. If nothing else, they're willing to give it a shot — few filmmakers these days will stand on ceremony if a studio is prepared to greenlight their movie. As Marks says, "3-D can draw enthusiasm for a project the studios might not have otherwise paid much attention to."

It's of course understandable why studios are obsessed with 3-D. As television screens get bigger and studio releases hit DVD and video on-demand sooner, executives believe it's imperative to keep the theatrical experience one step ahead (even as 3-D blockbuster "Avatar" seeks to elevate the home-viewing experience with its Blu-Ray release last Thursday). They're drawn to the idea of a movie that puts a filmgoer practically inside the screen.

And creating opportunities for immersion is quickly becoming second nature to some screenwriters. "Just like a sitcom writer tries to have three laughs per page, I tried to have a 3-D moment every 8-10 pages," Pitts says of his method for writing the "Spring Break" film.

Those 3-D moments may be even trickier to pull off in other genres, but it hasn't stopped some from contemplating it. At least one major studio has said privately it would consider making a romantic comedy in 3-D. That represents a kind of dimensionality creep that particularly concerns some directors, who say movies in many genres are best watched at a remove. "I don't want to watch 'Precious' in 3-D," director Marshall says. "That's a movie that's hard enough to watch in 2-D."

QuestionMarkMan on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    novelty and the american psyche part 2: the bacon zombies strike back in 3-D

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    TLH wrote: »
    ohhhh

I lived in a town with a major transit line. Chicago. I would so very much doubt this. Only because this show is doing fine. And transit adds cost a lot, for how many people they actually reach, on a wide scale.

The only reason you don't see those kinds of ads on the CTA is because they don't allow it. Only in the past 10 years or so have they allowed the full-car exterior ads (like so), and they're still mulling over allowing Apple to have "station domination" advertising within the interior of North and Clybourn on the Red line.

Though with how broke the CTA and RTA are, I wouldn't be surprised to see full-car interior ads soon as well. They really need all the money they can get, and it's kind of absurd that they're limiting interior ad-space to the roof prints and wall banners for no apparent reason.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    remember when people were saying that CGI would be the death of cinema and that afterward movies would only be created for the sake of spectacle as spectacle?

me too

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    remember when people were saying that CGI would be the death of cinema and that afterward movies would only be created for the sake of spectacle as spectacle?

me too

http://vimeo.com/5552957 They're still saying it.

TLH on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    hahaha that's amazing

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'll be fucked if I'm paying $15 for 3D movies on the regular

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png