Options

You Get One Superpower. Which is it?

• Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    People who are picking Reality manipulation are forgetting one piece of crucial information:

THE POWER OF REALITY MANIPULATION CARRIES A SIGNIFICANT RISK OF COLOSSUS HITTING YOU WITH A CAR

I'd still love to have Kitty Pride's power. Just walking through work I realised how annoying it is that I have to walk around the counter, instead of through. And one hit kills on anything you feel like, by phasing stuff through their brain, whilst simultaneously being (nearly) totally invulnerable.

EDIT: I also get all my conversations written by Joss Whedon.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I just realized that the wish thing works really well with consumables. If I wished for food, ate it and crapped it out then I can wish for something else and since the food was consumed then it's not like it could be nullified and I'd be hungry again.

So wishing for money would be great, except for the lack of a paper trail. Hello IRS!

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    NinjaSquirrelNinjaSquirrel Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Suds wrote:
    I just realized that the wish thing works really well with consumables. If I wished for food, ate it and crapped it out then I can wish for something else and since the food was consumed then it's not like it could be nullified and I'd be hungry again.

So wishing for money would be great, except for the lack of a paper trail. Hello IRS!
    Simple way around that is to wish for gold or diamonds or other precious minerals that can be traded for money.

NinjaSquirrel on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Krosius wrote:
    The power to be insanely lucky. Like that guy in X-Men (name?) whose eyes go gold and something incredibly lucky and improbable happens. His attack being spontaneous rips in time and space, or repeated lighting strikes.

And for you super speed folks out there: A small tectonic shift causing a super dense material to form and shunt up 1 inch from the surface, right in front of your foot, tripping you and sending you flying at whateverthefuckhighspeed with a broken foot.

That sounds kind of like Lester Girls. Although he was just incredible lucky all the time by everyone else's standards. Poor bastard just wanted to live a normal life.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    InxInx Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    one of the following:

1) As I call it, Stoplight. When I glow green, time goes normally. When I glow yellow, time slows. When I glow red, time stops. However, this is a cycle I cannot control, and I never have more than a few seconds (up to 30, depending on my luck) in any one state. People wouldn't KNOW about my red form, as they couldn't see it, so everyone would think I'm a super speedster. Though It'd be pretty annoying having to deal with slowed and stopped time every minute or so.

2) The proportional abilities of an ant. Enhanced senses, GREATLY enhanced durability (resist forces that would normally crush a human), lift 100x my own weight, enhanced speed, and a powerful wall and cieling climbing ability. If I were in the marvel universe, I could make an appearance as one of the New Paramounts, as I could neither use the best name for my abilities (Ant Man), nor would people take me seriously - they'd just assume I was some kind of spiderman ripoff, while I was in actuality far more of a powerhouse.

Inx on
  • Options
    BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Telekenisis, but only if it's on par with Nate Grey (X-man). Flight, move stuff, make your punches a zillion times more powerful, force fields, etc.

Yup. Or maybe telepathy with mind control. Nothing like walking into a bank, convincing them to give you thousands of dollars, then convincing the police to arrest someone else when they come to arrest you.

I think the real question is "Would you be a supervillain or a superhero?" Most of us can pick a power easily, and we joke about what we would do. But, honestly, if you woke up one morning with any superpower, would you take the Peter Parker "Great Responsibility" path or would you use your power only for personal gain?

EDIT:
    I want Cypher's powers. They're kind of useless compared to other powers but they would be totally rad in a real world setting.

Also a very good choice. You could make a nice living with this power, and never have to worry about working too hard. Not glamorous, but being the world's best translator would have some incredible job security.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RonnieWooWoo!RonnieWooWoo! Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Briareos wrote:
    I think the real question is "Would you be a supervillain or a superhero?" Most of us can pick a power easily, and we joke about what we would do. But, honestly, if you woke up one morning with any superpower, would you take the Peter Parker "Great Responsibility" path or would you use your power only for personal gain?

I think most people would be able to find a happy "real world" medium. I can't see many people going the "I must always do what's right" Superman type route, but I can't see many people going completely apeshit evil and splattering people, Carnage style. I would assume most people would do whatever the hell they wanted, to the benefit of their friends and family, and at the expense of people they didn't like, or people that annoyed them.

RonnieWooWoo! on
    Woo!
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Personal gain doesn't have to involve crime and doing the right thing doesn't have to involve crime fighting.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    robosagogo wrote:
    Personal gain doesn't have to involve crime and doing the right thing doesn't have to involve crime fighting.

Well, I don't want to burden this thread with a lot of philosophical mumbo jumbo, but take the superpower out of the equation: if a doctor witnesses an accident, sees an injured person, and can tell that the injured person needs immediate medical attention, does that doctor have a moral obligation to assist the injured person?

It's true that doing good doesn't necessarily mean crime-fighting. It's true that personal gain doesn't necessarily mean committing a crime. The question I'm asking isn't "Would you commit crime or fight crime," it's "Would you use your power for the greater good or solely for selfish purposes?"

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Briareos wrote:

I think most people would be able to find a happy "real world" medium. I can't see many people going the "I must always do what's right" Superman type route, but I can't see many people going completely apeshit evil and splattering people, Kid Miracleman style. I would assume most people would do whatever the hell they wanted, to the benefit of their friends and family, and at the expense of people they didn't like, or people that annoyed them.

As much as I loath the expression... fix'd.

I think the Miracleman series pretty much showed what would happen if a seriously unbalanced individual gained Superman-esque powers. Which, let's face it, would be inevitable in a world with superhumans.

Red or Alive on
  • Options
    InxInx Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Briareos wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

Well, I don't want to burden this thread with a lot of philosophical mumbo jumbo, but take the superpower out of the equation: if a doctor witnesses an accident, sees an injured person, and can tell that the injured person needs immediate medical attention, does that doctor have a moral obligation to assist the injured person?

It's true that doing good doesn't necessarily mean crime-fighting. It's true that personal gain doesn't necessarily mean committing a crime. The question I'm asking isn't "Would you commit crime or fight crime," it's "Would you use your power for the greater good or solely for selfish purposes?"

A doctor is kind of a bad example - they take an oath to help people. Most doctors I've met are all really generous people.

'cept this one surgeon, Dr. Stephen Strange. He was kind of a dick.

Anyway, personally? I'd probably start out trying to do the heroic thing, take the right path, smash evil, etc, but eventually fall to the dark side due to a mixture of my own laziness, greed, and the fact that I'm easily manipulated.

Such is why I should only ever be given small-scale fightey powers.

Inx on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Noh-varr has some cool powers.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    CaptainApocalypseCaptainApocalypse Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Briareos wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

I would employ a healthy mixture of both.

CaptainApocalypse on
    SO FATE DEMANDS!
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    robosagogo wrote:

If I had to pick a power for a career path I'd go with teleportation - I'd make a killing as a courier.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    For a more down to earth power, excluding god-hood, I'd pick telepathy. It's use is undetectable so you aren't labelled a freak to be captured and studied, it allows you access to vast stores of knowledge, including the ability to totally dominate the financial market, and a way with the ladies.

And if you were to take it to an larger degree, I guess it'd include mind control, though I was always hazy if that's specifically a part of telepathy or not.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Septus wrote:
    For a more down to earth power, excluding god-hood, I'd pick telepathy. It's use is undetectable so you aren't labelled a freak to be captured and studied, it allows you access to vast stores of knowledge, including the ability to totally dominate the financial market, and a way with the ladies.

And if you were to take it to an larger degree, I guess it'd include mind control, though I was always hazy if that's specifically a part of telepathy or not.

I agree, but it would have to be selective telepathy. Not the kind that the cop from Heroes has. If I have no control over it, I would go nuts from one busride.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, go with Xaviers style of mental power. He can control it..or hear anyone in the world he wants.

But yeah i'd enslave the entire world and work my way up to the universe just because i'm an evil megalomanical egotistical bastard. Sorry guys.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Heres a good question: So you have your power, do you go public with it? Do you even tell those closest to you about it? Imagine all the people out there that would want to write a book or screen play based on you, or worse, would want to use you and your power for their own gain.

You have to sleep sometime(unless your power is to not sleep), and if the CIA hears that you can move mountains (literally) with just your mind they will most likely come for you and begin with the "medical testing!"

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I would not tell anyone if I had any sort of powers, not even my wife. If word got out somehow that I could manipulate time like Zoom (the power I picked) I could see some criminal hurting my family in order to get me to do what they wanted.

Marathon on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Marathon wrote:
    I would not tell anyone if I had any sort of powers, not even my wife. If word got out somehow that I could manipulate time like Zoom (the power I picked) I could see some criminal hurting my family in order to get me to do what they wanted.

I definitely agree. No one needs to know what I can do, unless for some reason we are part of a crime fighting force, and they also have powers. Even then, secret identities are a must.

CaptainApocalypse on
    SO FATE DEMANDS!
  • Options
    the_greatest_hero_everthe_greatest_hero_ever Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Marathon wrote:

I definitely agree. No one needs to know what I can do, unless for some reason we are part of a crime fighting force, and they also have powers. Even then, secret identities are a must.
    I would definitely keep my power a secret...most likely because I would be greedy and use it to get 1,000,000 chicks in bed with me or rob fort knox etc...and I guess I'd be pretty embarassed if people found out that it was me.

the_greatest_hero_ever on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Because after sex with a million women you wont be able to keep your herpes and various other diseases a secret. Might as well keep your power under wraps.

Marathon on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Marathon wrote:
    Because after sex with a million women you wont be able to keep your herpes and various other diseases a secret. Might as well keep your power under wraps.

thats why you go for disease immunity man. its perfect.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'd want the powers of The Spot. Yeah, he got bitchslapped by Spidey on a regular basis, but the ability to create and manipulate dimensional portals would be awesome.

see317 on
  • Options
    cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Excluding reality control, I think Blink's style of offensive teleportation would be pretty awesome. No lame "line of sight" or "teleporting into mountains" restrictions of Nightcrawler.

Plus, you could teleport bad guys into orbit. Or the Marianas Trench. :shock:

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Just thought of one that might be entertaining.

The ability to alter reality, but limited to what you can put on a pen and paper RPG character sheet that represents yourself. Yeah, based on Red Mage from 8-bit theatre, but could make for an interesting set of circumstances.
    "Wait a second, I can pick that lock, just need to give myself 10 levels in locksmithing and write in an expert lockpick kit in my pouch..."

Of course, if the sheet is ever lost, destroyed or captured by the local supervillian geeks...
    "I woke up this morning knowing how to knit. I don't remember taking levels in knitting..."

see317 on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    see317 wrote:
    Just thought of one that might be entertaining.

The ability to alter reality, but limited to what you can put on a pen and paper RPG character sheet that represents yourself. Yeah, based on Red Mage from 8-bit theatre, but could make for an interesting set of circumstances.
    "Wait a second, I can pick that lock, just need to give myself 10 levels in locksmithing and write in an expert lockpick kit in my pouch..."

Of course, if the sheet is ever lost, destroyed or captured by the local supervillian geeks...
    "I woke up this morning knowing how to knit. I don't remember taking levels in knitting..."

I want that. Now.

CaptainApocalypse on
    SO FATE DEMANDS!
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    see317 wrote:
    I'd want the powers of The Spot. Yeah, he got bitchslapped by Spidey on a regular basis, but the ability to create and manipulate dimensional portals would be awesome.

What a retarded villain. I mean the power is damn cool but his execution just sucks.

Why not have Spidey fall into a portal and have him appear deep under water in the middle of the ocean. Even if Spidey can reach the surface in time to not drown he'll probably get the bends. And even then he'll be in the middle of know-where.

Or you know, you could just portal people into Space.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Marathon wrote:

Given the power I'd choose, I doubt I'd ever have anyone close to me. How could I be sure that I wasn't subconsciously using my telepathy to manipulate someone into caring for me?

I would keep it a secret. Well, except that everyone in the world would believe, that I, El Grande Presidente Fantastika, am the just and righteous ruler of all Earth.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Suds wrote:
    see317 wrote:

What a retarded villain. I mean the power is damn cool but his execution just sucks.

Why not have Spidey fall into a portal and have him appear deep under water in the middle of the ocean. Even if Spidey can reach the surface in time to not drown he'll probably get the bends. And even then he'll be in the middle of know-where.

Or, just toss a portal into his chest, reach in and pull out his still beating heart out and slap spidey across the face with it.
    Messy yeah, but can you imagine reading the autopsy report? No wounds, no signs of violence, just a missing heart. The Spot could have been an awesome villian.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    see317 wrote:
    Suds wrote:
    see317 wrote:

Or, just toss a portal into his chest, reach in and pull out his still beating heart out and slap spidey across the face with it.
    Messy yeah, but can you imagine reading the autopsy report? No wounds, no signs of violence, just a missing heart. The Spot could have been an awesome villian.

Yeah, really he's got one of the best powers ever. And yet he sucks ass.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Maybe he's just got a weak stomach. It'd suck, for instance, if you had the power to make people explode but were morally opposed to murder.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I bet ya ten bucks that Buddhist monks in Nepal can make people's heads explode... but never do it.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I bet ya ten bucks that Buddhist monks in Nepal can make people's heads explode... but never do it.

Good thing they have those pesky morals to encumber them while the rest of us conquer the world.

CaptainApocalypse on
    SO FATE DEMANDS!
  • Options
    edited January 2007

Good thing they have those pesky morals to encumber them while the rest of us conquer the world.
    Buddhist monks make peoples heads explode all the time. But people are too stupid to realize it's the monks, so they blame it on roving bands of ninjas instead.

see317 on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Pray that Doom doesn't become head of their order, then.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    FierceDeity666FierceDeity666 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    one that would be equal parts retarded and awesome:

costume mimicry.

basically, if you wear a costume of anyone(or anything), you obtain any special abilities that whatever you're dressed up as has. ANY being with a distinctive outfit or appearance can be mimicked using this power.

the only real drawback is the astounding and earthshaking lameness of this ability, as you basically become a larper.

which is an extraordinarily large drawback.

FierceDeity666 on
  • Options
    MajidahMajidah Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I immediately thought that you meant being able to immediately mimic any superhero's COSTUME. Which would be a dynamite talent for getting into secret meetings and ladies undawears.

Unless of course you were a grossly overweight acne-ridden fanboy type. Then I think most people would be able to tell the difference.

Majidah on
  • Options
    vicevice Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I want to have x-ray vision, but not so much that i will see through people's clothes AND skin because that would be really weird, I just want to see through their clothes. in addition to being able to see through ladies clothing I can also size up other men. Maybe there would be an option that would also allow me to see through their skin, just out of morbid curiousity I suppose.

vice on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    My super power would be the ability to summon forth an army of ninjas from seemingly nowhere at any time.

There are so very many people I would like to see dead.

Regina Fong on