As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Conan to be on TBS: Very Funny?

• Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Cade wrote: »
    This wrote: »
    Cool, I liked it. Nothing revolutionary or crazy, just Conan & Co. doing their thing but really that's all I need because I like their thing. They seemed really comfortable.

Some critics bashed the show for this very thing, that they didn't do anything new or take a whole brand new direction. Also after the election where all is about jobs and employment some criticized him making the NBC jokes saying he was lucky to have a job.

I don't know about the whole job/economy angle, but I did think the jokes about the nbc situation were excessive. we all know what happened. it just came off as bitter and it would have been nice to start the new show on a more positive note. but also it was the first episode and I guess he just wanted to get a little more off his chest. I just hope it's the last we hear of it.

also, love the return of andy.

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    Letterman STILL makes jokes about being screwed out of the Tonight Show.

Because they're always funny.

I think he used enough and didn't make the whole episode center around NBC.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Jokes about NBC and the tonight show are like red meat to Conan's audience. Everyone, except Leno and NBC, knows Conan got screwed, and everybody, especially Conan's audience, likes to stick it to the man.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah I think those critiques are dumb. It was funny. It would have been weirder I think if he'd avoided joking about it.

This on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My personal favorite of the night was the mask for "Ex Talk Show Host."

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Conan till have a gag order on NBC stuff tho no?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I must say, I just love Conan being back on the air even if the premiere didn't blow me away. I did love Conan playing and singing, though.

Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • Options
    DraperDraper __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    The NBC jokes are usually funny but they will get stale if he keeps it up, only for the chance that it could ever possibly even smell like self-pity, which he's done a good job at avoiding throughout the entire drama. He's rich as fuck and does not have to worry about anything, even if he retired now.

Draper on
    lifefinal3.jpg
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I don't find it distasteful at all to be taking digs at NBC now, given that Conan was making the NBC jokes even when he was ON NBC. He was always making jokes about NBC being last in the ratings, or treating him poorly, or having silly executives, and mostly in good humour. It didn't seem any more vindictive or whatnot to me, and Conan's been incredibly positive about the whole ordeal.

hippofant on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Just caught the first ep online; it's Conan. Exactly what I expected, no more, no less. And it is good.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Houn wrote: »
    Just caught the first ep online; it's Conan. Exactly what I expected, no more, no less. And it is good.

TBS are much smarter people. The episodes go up almost immediately, are intelligently catalogued for the segments, and it appears old episodes won't be rotated out.

Where as you had to wait 1 or 2 weeks before a Conan show would be up on NBC.com, and you had to seek around to find the segment you were looking for.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »

TBS are much smarter people. The episodes go up almost immediately, are intelligently catalogued for the segments, and it appears old episodes won't be rotated out.

Where as you had to wait 1 or 2 weeks before a Conan show would be up on NBC.com, and you had to seek around to find the segment you were looking for.

Wasn't last year the height of Hulu fighting with everyone, though?

Also: Damn at his ratings last night. I hope he can hold onto it for a bit, just to rub it in... but I'm sure people will go back to what they were watching before.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »

Nah. I remember watching a few episodes and they had them broken up by segment the very next day.

Adrenaline on
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Is the laughing in the opening bit from the audience? It's really distracting, and feels canned.

I'm just watching clip by clip, and that was the first thing that jumped out.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, you can always hear the audience when they run video like that.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    LavaKnight wrote: »
    Is the laughing in the opening bit from the audience? It's really distracting, and feels canned.

I'm just watching clip by clip, and that was the first thing that jumped out.

That seemed really odd to me too. Nothing else really jumped out like that though.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Second episode, Conan's starting to push things a little more.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The standards and practices thing was pretty funny.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    That "Mr Falcon" dub always bothered me

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    DoomSong8DoomSong8 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    "Taking Grandma to Applebee's" had me in stitches.

DoomSong8 on
    578991-5FHNJ36.jpg
    XBL:Gravity MD PSN:Gravity1204 Steam:Gravity1204
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Conan does a surprisingly good George Takei

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    So who was saying the background was very blue-screen ish?

Athenor on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Tokyo Sandblaster. That is all.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Draper wrote: »
    The NBC jokes are usually funny but they will get stale if he keeps it up, only for the chance that it could ever possibly even smell like self-pity, which he's done a good job at avoiding throughout the entire drama. He's rich as fuck and does not have to worry about anything, even if he retired now.

Conan is not rich as fuck, as you say. He could probably retire, but he'd live most likely a middle class existance. He's not hobknobbing with Puffy and Donald Trump.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Jokerman wrote: »

Conan is not rich as fuck, as you say. He could probably retire, but he'd live most likely a middle class existance. He's not hobknobbing with Puffy and Donald Trump.

...what? He got $45,000,000 to walk from NBC. With that and whatever he's earned from hosting forever he's got to be close to $100m.

Adrenaline on
  • Options
    ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    even small time hosts make a good 2-3 million dollars a year. Roger Ebert and Co made that sort of bank back in the days of "At the Movies" and that's the kind of show you'd think they'd only make maybe 500k or so.

ANTVGM64 on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Conan does a surprisingly good George Takei

Crazy good.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Whoever mixed Soundgarden tonight should be disappointed in themselves.

Gim on
  • Options
    Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Adrenaline wrote: »

...what? He got $45,000,000 to walk from NBC. With that and whatever he's earned from hosting forever he's got to be close to $100m.

He had to move from NYC area to LA during the middle of a housing crisis. Also, that $45 mill included a lot of money he passed directly on to his staff to keep them from being fucked over in the interim.

He may have some money saved, but the circumstances of the move and having to help out his staff may have left him more tapped than you'd naturally assume.

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • Options
    CrownAxeCrownAxe Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Those crazy fans...

CrownAxe on
    AwesomeSig.jpg
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Gim wrote: »
    Whoever mixed Soundgarden tonight should be disappointed in themselves.

Yeah

Just... yeah

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    There doesn't seem to be as much discussion about Conan this morning, of course, but I do see the guys on Morning Joe here basically calling last night's show cute and kinda downplaying it, especially because it is on cable. I'm sure they don't take cues on what to say from the network execs, but it still seems like they are trying to marginalize him. They apparently didn't like what Conan did to Tom Hanks.

Athenor on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Athenor wrote: »
    There doesn't seem to be as much discussion about Conan this morning, of course, but I do see the guys on Morning Joe here basically calling last night's show cute and kinda downplaying it, especially because it is on cable. I'm sure they don't take cues on what to say from the network execs, but it still seems like they are trying to marginalize him. They apparently didn't like what Conan did to Tom Hanks.

That was a bit. As in it was staged and rehearsed. How could anyone not know that?

Also iirc Conan got his employees a severance package in adtion to his own.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There doesn't seem to be as much discussion about Conan this morning, of course, but I do see the guys on Morning Joe here basically calling last night's show cute and kinda downplaying it, especially because it is on cable.

Well there's your first problem: Morning Joe isn't actually a news program.
    They apparently didn't like what Conan did to Tom Hanks.

Uh, wut?

There's a 0% chance that Tom Hanks wasn't in on that gag. Conan didn't "do" anything to him because Tom was in on it the whole time.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

that is pretty naive

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Man I hated Andy Richter on the Tonight show... he and Conan didn't mesh at all. It felt like he was screwing up the pace of the show and almost never got a laugh out of me.

But MAN, Andy's got his shit together now! I haven't seen last nights episode yet, but in Monday's show he was awesome. I think I laughed more at Andy's jokes then Conan's.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    There doesn't seem to be as much discussion about Conan this morning, of course, but I do see the guys on Morning Joe here basically calling last night's show cute and kinda downplaying it, especially because it is on cable.

Well there's your first problem: Morning Joe isn't actually a news program.
    They apparently didn't like what Conan did to Tom Hanks.

Uh, wut?

There's a 0% chance that Tom Hanks wasn't in on that gag. Conan didn't "do" anything to him because Tom was in on it the whole time.

Oh god. It's like those idiots that were screaming that Conan was an asshole for wasting NBC's money with those "How much money can we spend" skits in his last week.

Oblivious that they were fucking skits

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    conan-bugatti-veyron-mouse.jpg

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    SnowblindvictimSnowblindvictim Flying casual Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    "Taking Grandma to Applebees"

That slayed me.

Also Monorails

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEZjzsnPhnw

Snowblindvictim on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Adrenaline wrote: »

He had to move from NYC area to LA during the middle of a housing crisis. Also, that $45 mill included a lot of money he passed directly on to his staff to keep them from being fucked over in the interim.

He may have some money saved, but the circumstances of the move and having to help out his staff may have left him more tapped than you'd naturally assume.

Not to mention NBC was where he buttered his bread for years, but since he took his stand he'll probably never work for them again. I mean he's probably missing out on some good money by taking the stand he did, which is doubly impressive when you stop to remember he's a family man with wife and kids.

Jokerman on