As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trading cards vs. Button exchange? (Updated OP)

cafeganeshacafeganesha Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in PAX Archive
It has been decided that we will do buttons for Prime and trading cards for East. I'm editing the OP so there's no confusion for those new to this thread. Now the current issue at hand is deciding who will be in charge of starting and maintaining the official Buttoneers thread, since redhalo would like to hand it off to someone else this year.

Here's my old post:
Has it been completely decided forever and ever that PAX Prime will do buttons and East will do cards? I'm really, really hoping that maybe we can exchange cards for Prime this year instead of buttons if possible.

Here are my arguments in favor of cards:

1. As the number of PAX attendees grows exponentially, it becomes really expensive to have custom buttons made if you want to have enough to trade with absolutely everybody. I'm sure that you could get a lot more cards made for the same price, and then would be able to trade with many more people. Those who have a very small budget could still participate by printing out their own cards at home.

2. Buttons get really, really heavy. Both years I've attended, I've spent the entire weekend with extremely sore shoulders from constantly carrying around so much metal. Cards would be far easier and less painful to carry around.

3. Although it was really fun to be try to spot button traders by their bag/lanyard/etc being covered with 5000 buttons, after PAX (at least for me?) nearly all of them ended up just being shut away in containers for the rest of time. Cards could be slotted into those clear card holder pages for binders, and act as a way to trade contact info.

4. At PAX 09 there was a huge number of vendors handing out buttons, much more than I remember at PAX 08. I don't know if the vendors had caught wind of the button exchange and were just trying to get in on the fun, but I actually found it a little hard to spot button traders last year since so many non-button-traders were covered in vendor buttons.

Any thoughts on this? I apologize if this has already been debated a million times, but I feel I must plead my case, at least for the welfare of my lean wallet and sore shoulders!

@cafeganesha on PAX Twitter
cafeganesha on

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2010
    I don't think there's any real savings cost-wise with trading cards over buttons. The purpose of trading cards was to do something different for PAX East. I'm pretty sure everybody is still set on doing buttons for prime. The only reason that thread hasn't gone up yet is because redhalo hasn't been around recently.

Also, if you think it was hard finding people with buttons last year. Finding people with trading cards was next to impossible. As it is, I need to send Peasant Dave a stack of my cards in exchange for a stack of random cards that get sent to him, because I only ended up with about 10.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    heelsheels Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Buttons rule.

heels on
    < devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
  • Options
    ninjownedninjowned Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I didn't do trading cards at East because the list of people doing them was so small, but definitely doing buttons again!

ninjowned on
    ninjowned!
  • Options
    SrolSrol Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I agree, although I wouldn't be too harsh on the trading cards, since this was the first year. I gave a ton out to strangers I met and a lot of people weren't aware of them and were interested in doing it for next year, so I wouldn't be surprised if you see a lot more cards next year at PAX East.

Plus, Paul and Storm recognized my Twitter avatar on the back of mine and wrote "I know you from teh Twitterz," on it.

But yeah, buttons are definitely the Prime thing. You will have a harder time avoiding buttons then finding them. They're everywhere.

I'm still going to bring my leftover PAX East cards, just because even after leaving a giant stack with Dave at the end of PAX East, I still have quite a lot left over. Plus, they were a great icebreaker and way to exchange Twitter/Gamertag info.

Srol on
  • Options
    RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think more and more people will do trading cards with each PAX East but I am personally looking forward to making buttons for Prime.

I like that there are two different things like this and not just the same at both PAXes.

Hopefully someone can talk to redhalo cause people are foaming at the mouth for a button topic haha.

Rdr on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I thought the trading cards were dumb :P I might actually do buttons again this year.
    I wish I could line my cape with buttons but then the cape wouldn't function properly when its super weighted down.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    AlphonsisAlphonsis Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I would think that if you started at the shoulders and worked your way in and down, you would be able to maintain the fluidity of the cape. It would start to look like pauldrons if anything, which might be cool ^_^

Alphonsis on
    vhkbviT.png
  • Options
    BrennaCeDriaBrennaCeDria Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm definitely in for buttons, but I'm going to have to go with a super-limited set cause I'm broke. Also, I'm having trouble getting my avatar to fit the template on Purebuttons without getting warped, so I'm not sure what to use so far. :(

BrennaCeDria on
  • Options
    Lynx_Lynx_ Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think op's made a lot of good points, though I've never done buttons before and don't have an emotional attachment to them. I think it sounds like fun either way, but I do like the added "info exchange" bonus of the trading cards and the fact that you can store them more efficiently than buttons post-PAX. I have enough clutter around in my house and probably don't need to add a bunch of buttons to that. It sounds like buttons are here to stay for Prime, but I would also be willing to be part of a smaller contingent that does cards :P

Another possible alternative, just throwing it out: stickers? I think they're a little cheaper, but they're also not reusable, and they need to be stuck to the right surface or they'll fall off. Not perfect, but I thought I'd suggest it. *shrug*

Lynx_ on
  • Options
    WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I would much much prefer to stick with buttons. I'm really into each PAX having their own 'thing' and the buttons were really fun. I would be very sad if people started doing trading cards at Prime.

Wormdundee on
  • Options
    MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    BigRed wrote: »
    I thought the trading cards were dumb :P I might actually do buttons again this year.
    I wish I could line my cape with buttons but then the cape wouldn't function properly when its super weighted down.

Woahhhhh that's a great idea. Maybe I'll wear my cape one day just to showcase my buttons!

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I would also prefer to stick with buttons. I like the showing-off function of them for one and it was pretty funny walking up to people and asking if they were a buttoneer only to have them say "What the fuck is a buttoneer?"

beta_angel on
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Alright, sounds like buttons it is. Can we all try to do 1" size buttons then? This way you can cram more buttons onto whatever you're covering with buttons and it's slightly less metal.

cafeganesha on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    afaik button size is up to the individual person

If i have the money im going to get like 3.5" buttons made :P

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Not official info, but close enough:

We will be doing buttons again at Prime. Trading cards will remain an East thing, this is mostly "by popular demand".

That said...

Trading cards were substantially cheaper, smaller, and lighter. Finding people was harder than buttons, but many traders did just as good as buttoneers in the past. The largest obstacle was the time/skill it takes to create a card vs a button.

PeasantDave on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Not official info, but close enough:

We will be doing buttons again at Prime. Trading cards will remain an East thing, this is mostly "by popular demand".

That said...

Trading cards were substantially cheaper, smaller, and lighter. Finding people was harder than buttons, but many traders did just as good as buttoneers in the past. The largest obstacle was the time/skill it takes to create a card vs a button.

PeasantDave on
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It's hard to buck tradition. I think you'll have a revolution on your hands if you try and campaign for something other than buttons.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Of course I will be doing buttons again, and I think 1.5" is the perfect size for a button. I did a few 1 inch ones in the past for bonus buttons, but I felt there just wasnt enough room. Also, how much did it cost for cards at east? I was originally planning on doing them, but somebody PMed me saying it cost around 50 bucks for a hundred, and I just didn't have the money when it came down to it. If it really was 50 bucks for a hundred, then how is that cheaper than buttons? 100 Buttons are like $26 + Shipping - like 15% off for a coupon...

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • Options
    ninjownedninjowned Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I was excited for the trading cards at East, but I just didn't get around to it. My lack of motivation stemmed from the fact that not enough people were doing it (imo).

I'll definitely do cards next year... if I can make it out to East again!

ninjowned on
    ninjowned!
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Regardless of what others do, I will be making more buttons. I'll have them both for Liger and KnittedSteel.net, and the KS buttons will be limited to those who buy lanyards from me leading up to Prime.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I will be doing buttons as well. I think this year, I'll be doing 5 different designs. All of the MI1 sword fighting insults.

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
  • Options
    Rogue_hunterRogue_hunter Breaks Through Brick Walls Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I have all my buttons from last year as they shipped late, but I'll be doing bonus buttons for those that I got buttons from last year.

Rogue_hunter on
    PlayStation Network: Rogue_hunter
    Steam: Rogue_hunter
    Games for Windows Live: Roguality
    Google+
    Twitter
  • Options
    de4dmeta1de4dmeta1 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    We better be doing the buttons again. I still have my big bag o' buttons from PAX '09 that arrived /after/ PAX.

de4dmeta1 on
  • Options
    macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    My card order came in under $30 w/ discounts + shipping for 100. They actually shipped me about 175.

macrogeek on
  • Options
    eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, I like buttons for Prime, cards for East. The buttons are a hassle to collect and carry around, but they're also super fun! Plus we've gotten it so popular that some of the media guests are starting to notice. i.e. Wil Wheaton did buttons last year.
    Lynx_ wrote: »
    Another possible alternative, just throwing it out: stickers? I think they're a little cheaper, but they're also not reusable, and they need to be stuck to the right surface or they'll fall off. Not perfect, but I thought I'd suggest it. *shrug*

I don't mean for this to sound rude, but stickers are a very bad idea. We would get banned from the convention center and probably most of the hotels from people sticking them everywhere.

eye-shuh on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    eye-shuh wrote: »
    I don't mean for this to sound rude, but stickers are a very bad idea. We would get banned from the convention center and probably most of the hotels from people sticking them everywhere.

I had the exact same initial response. Stickers would not go over well...not only would people stick them on things they shouldn't, they tend to unstick from clothing, they'd get on the floor and it would be badness.

As mentioned prior, buttons can be cumbersome but it's something that's going to last you as a memory for a *lot* longer than stickers plus, they're just fun to have!

beta_angel on
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    EvilBadman wrote:
    TF2 Hatpack
  • Options
    Lynx_Lynx_ Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    No problem, I kind of felt the same way about the stickers. I have a couple that have been stuck to my DS since the beginning of time, but they're usually more troublesome/annoying/easily lost than fun or collectible. The only reason I thought of it was because I tend to decorate surfaces and consoles much more often than I do clothing, accessories, or bags. I could just get a PAXbag that's intended to be covered in buttons though :P

Lynx_ on
  • Options
    ploogleploogle Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm personally a huge fan of the button swap idea, although I don't think we should be limited to just using our forum avatar. Any design or phrase of ours we put on it should be good, imho. I'd rather swap buttons for things that I might actually put on a backpack.

ploogle on
    If you can't handle me at my Worcestershire, you don't deserve me at my Bestershire.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'm going to be making a bunch of INFRACTION! buttons maybe with a few banhammers mixed in for fun.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited April 2010
    ploogle wrote: »
    I'm personally a huge fan of the button swap idea, although I don't think we should be limited to just using our forum avatar. Any design or phrase of ours we put on it should be good, imho. I'd rather swap buttons for things that I might actually put on a backpack.

It has never been restricted to avatars. The general idea though was to make one button that represents you, and has your forum name on it, so that when you make the actual swap, people can put a face to the name. Since it is easy to remember peoples avatars, that is a commonly used picture, but it's not necessarily the requirement. Also, some people decide to make some "bonus" buttons which could be absolutely anything, and sometimes they require some sort of pre requisite to obtain.

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • Options
    tektek meh... WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've already got my first batch of buttons, figured I'd use the discount code card thingie PureButtons gave.. I haven't decided on my 2nd button, or if I'm just gonna order more of my first design.

tek on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Has anybody tried to contact redhalo to see if he's still going to be heading up this year's thread?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited April 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Has anybody tried to contact redhalo to see if he's still going to be heading up this year's thread?

I just sent him a message on twitter, since it seems he still uses it. Someone with an Xbox or Facebook want to try the other links on his contact page?

cafeganesha on
  • Options
    ploogleploogle Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    LTAcosta wrote: »
    It has never been restricted to avatars. The general idea though was to make one button that represents you, and has your forum name on it, so that when you make the actual swap, people can put a face to the name. Since it is easy to remember peoples avatars, that is a commonly used picture, but it's not necessarily the requirement. Also, some people decide to make some "bonus" buttons which could be absolutely anything, and sometimes they require some sort of pre requisite to obtain.

Gotcha. Is there a dedicated meetup for these things? What times?

ploogle on
    If you can't handle me at my Worcestershire, you don't deserve me at my Bestershire.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    ploogle wrote: »
    Gotcha. Is there a dedicated meetup for these things? What times?

Usually, there is one final meetup at the end of PAX right outside the doors of the convention center. Otherwise, there's the Pre-PAX dinner, the Pub Crawl (among others) and of course, the floors of PAX!!

beta_angel on
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    EvilBadman wrote:
    TF2 Hatpack
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hey all you cool cats who blasted my twitter and phone asking whats up. First I apologize for not being around in the off season as I was unable to make it to PAX East and reading the forums would have depressed me. Second, I am unsure at this moment if I am going to Prime, next East, or both. I will do one, but not sure on which yet. That said, I would love to hand over the reigns of buttoneering to someone else this year if I could. I personally plan on bringing a bag of buttons to either (or both) PAX's that I may be attending in addition to whatever is planned. Would anyone like to volunteer for the new Buttoneer thread?

edit: JonXP and associated crew, I know you had future plans for buttoneering. You know you have first shot at this, if you like.

redhalo on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    redhalo wrote: »
    Hey all you cool cats who blasted my twitter and phone asking whats up. First I apologize for not being around in the off season as I was unable to make it to PAX East and reading the forums would have depressed me. Second, I am unsure at this moment if I am going to Prime, next East, or both. I will do one, but not sure on which yet. That said, I would love to hand over the reigns of buttoneering to someone else this year if I could. I personally plan on bringing a bag of buttons to either (or both) PAX's that I may be attending in addition to whatever is planned. Would anyone like to volunteer for the new Buttoneer thread?

edit: JonXP and associated crew, I know you had future plans for buttoneering. You know you have first shot at this, if you like.

Hrm... I wonder which neurotic buttoneer blasted your phone?

If no one picks up the reigns I will likely be able to do it, but my free time is limited.

PeasantDave on
  • Options
    BrennaCeDriaBrennaCeDria Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

If no one picks up the reigns I will likely be able to do it, but my free time is limited.

Hopefully he just has his Twitter tied into his mobile?

BrennaCeDria on
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Hopefully he just has his Twitter tied into his mobile?

That too, but I did get a couple of sms's.

redhalo on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    redhalo wrote: »

I have an idea! Choose prime now, then impulse choose east when it comes around! But if you really have to choose only one, I'd choose Prime...

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
This discussion has been closed.