As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Why can mods make fake announcements?

• Options
    IncendiusIncendius Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Captain K wrote:
    Incendius wrote:
    AND OH MY GOD I CANNOT BELIEVE I AM ARGUING WITH SOME FUCKTARD BECAUSE SOMEBODY MADE A THREAD IN ONE PERFECTLY SUITABLE PLACE INSTEAD OF A DIFFERENT SUITABLE PLACE.
    Take it easy with the ad hominem. It's not appropriate for this forum.

If you're having such a hard time dealing with this thread, just stop reading it.

Nah I'm cool, I'm just making the point that its dumb to get irritated that somebody made a post that was suitable in one place because it wasn't posted in an equally suitable place.

Get me? Or Am I talking crap?

Incendius on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Incendius wrote:
    Captain K wrote:
    Incendius wrote:
    AND OH MY GOD I CANNOT BELIEVE I AM ARGUING WITH SOME FUCKTARD BECAUSE SOMEBODY MADE A THREAD IN ONE PERFECTLY SUITABLE PLACE INSTEAD OF A DIFFERENT SUITABLE PLACE.

If you're having such a hard time dealing with this thread, just stop reading it.

Nah I'm cool, I'm just making the point that its dumb to get irritated that somebody made a post that was suitable in one place because it wasn't posted in an equally suitable place.

it's not your point that is the problem, it's the method of delivery

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Resonant wrote:
    Incendius wrote:
    Resonant wrote:
    Incendius wrote:
    Resonant wrote:
    Mai-Kero wrote:

Let's look at what D&D stands for.

I'll give you a hint. The second "D" is not "debate" because "Debate & Debate" would be kind of a dumb title for a sub-forum.
    Webster wrote:
    Discourse: Verbal expression in speech or writing.

Now, can't that apply to SE++ too? Why shouldn't the Rome thread be in there?

Because it would probably stray offtopic? By putting it in D&D its ensured it stays as a Rome thread.

I see where you are trying to go with this. There are a lot of on-topic threads that I see in SE++. The Second Life thread is one of them.

...what do you mean you see where I'm going? I'm hardly obfuscating it with smoke and fucking mirrors. There are also a lot that have strayed from the original topic - in D&D this hardly ever happens. Also as Mai-Kero said there can be a thread in both places.

I just went and got ready for work, and I was looking at the sink while brushing my teeth and I thought why the fuck I'm arguing about this.

Seriously, slamming my penis against the wall seems like a better idea. Fuck guys, it's a thread. Let's all get back to our manlove.

Totally man, you're right. No offense meant, lets all secks and make up.

Incendius on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Incendius wrote:
    Captain K wrote:
    Incendius wrote:

it's not your point that is the problem, it's the method of delivery

It was supposed to come off jokingly, but I fucked that up :oops:

Incendius on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Incendius wrote:
    It was supposed to come off jokingly, but I fucked that up :oops:

It's cool, man. It happens.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Monoxide wrote:
    Herby wrote:
    Monoxide wrote:
    mtvcdm wrote:
    Joke threads are one thing, Monoxide, but you've got to know where the line is. If it was something like "Kaz Hirai demos PS3 with live ferret attachment, charges $2,000", that'd be fine by me. but the death of a forumer... no. Just no. Think twice, post once.

Read the thread. I never said he died. Not once.

The forum just assumed he did and ran with it.

If you don't mind me putting you on the spot, let me ask you this. Obviously, you think that G&T should be able to have some fun or else you wouldn't have made a joke thread. The fact that many people thought it broke the rules of the "new" G&T is pretty telling, don't you think?

I mean, do you think maybe in light of this it means that the rules of a strictly onfocus G&T have gone a bit too far and maybe loosening up the reins might be in order? I'd love for it to be back where your thread would have been enjoyed and excepted as just a good time being had.

Personally? Yes. I've always thought that. Any internet forum should be a place for fun, except for ones that serve specific purposes, like H/A. There's obvious reasons you can't fuck around in there. But for a large forum about video games, it's pretty obvious that a bit of fun isn't going to disrupt anyone's ability to chat about video games.

Before someone relates this post to the chat thread, just don't. It isn't coming back and it's possible to have fun threads without having designated places to do it in.

It's in the hands of the forumers, though, because I can't force people to lighten up. The balance between serious and fun posts is something the community itself regulates, the mods can just give it a nudge in the right (or wrong) direction every once in a while.

Users have a hard time lightening up when casual off-topic posting is frowned upon, and even gets to be a jailable offense.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    cj iwakura wrote:
    Users have a hard time lightening up when casual off-topic posting is frowned upon, and even gets to be a jailable offense.

It's frowned upon because of the mentality of the community. I think if anything can be done, it's that the mods need to work together better, and come to a greater consensus over what is and isn't allowed. Things are too spotty to enforce any sort of standard.

I've never jailed someone for making an off-topic post or two. If it derails an entire thread that still has discussion left in it, I'll post like, hey guys, get this thread back on topic. That's all it usually needs.

If other mods are jailing instead of taking this action, okay. Maybe they're wrong, or maybe I'm wrong. I'm not really sure, because I'm not the sole decider of how you can or can't act around here. I might even be in the minority. We've never really talked about it, to be honest, and that's probably not a good thing.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    i was confused as anyone by it, but i would hate for a backlash like this to discourage mod-humour. Confusion reigned, but at least that thread made me laugh.

edit: mono, just me being a dick here, but you jailed me for posting AAAAA in the chat thread once..
    i still love you though :)

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    darleysam wrote:
    i was confused as anyone by it, but i would hate for a backlash like this to discourage mod-humour. Confusion reigned, but at least that thread made me laugh.

edit: mono, just me being a dick here, but you jailed me for posting AAAAA in the chat thread once..

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA I hate that meme. :wink:

Monoxide on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2007
    Monoxide wrote:
    cj iwakura wrote:

It's frowned upon because of the mentality of the community. I think if anything can be done, it's that the mods need to work together better, and come to a greater consensus over what is and isn't allowed. Things are too spotty to enforce any sort of standard.

I've never jailed someone for making an off-topic post or two. If it derails an entire thread that still has discussion left in it, I'll post like, hey guys, get this thread back on topic. That's all it usually needs.

You, uh... you just said that you'd ban Pika if he made an offtopic post.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The problem I have is that this it was a Kaufmanesque joke. The original poster had fun while annoying and laughing at the audience, which was G&T.

A Kaufmanesque joke at the expense of G&T is not fun for G&T. It's fun for people not in G&T. This defeats the original purpose, as witnessed from the response from G&T.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Monoxide wrote:
    darleysam wrote:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA I hate that meme. :wink:
    and so it was duly discouraged!

is it ironic that a joke that attempted to lighten the mood has sparked outrage?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Aroduc wrote:
    Monoxide wrote:
    cj iwakura wrote:

Pika. Not anyone else. Just Pika.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Monoxide wrote:
    cj iwakura wrote:
    It's frowned upon because of the mentality of the community.
    I feel that this implies that you are not a part of the community. Or that you are better than the community, being able to make such a topic correctly, while the cummunity cannot.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ah screw it, let's just hug and move on. No need to linger on one ill received joke thread.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    PikaPuff wrote:
    The problem I have is that this it was a Kaufmanesque joke. The original poster had fun while annoying and laughing at the audience, which was G&T.

A Kaufmanesque joke at the expense of G&T is not fun for G&T. It's fun for people not in G&T. This defeats the original purpose, as witnessed from the response from G&T.

<DaySleeper> thread of the day
    <DaySleeper> and by day i mean year
    <DaySleeper> O you are going to get kicked out of the mod club
    <thepassenger> BAYOU BILLIES
    <thepassenger> sorry, i just had the urge to say that
    <DaySleeper> mono
    <DaySleeper> this is probably the most fun i've ever had in g&t

:whistle:

Monoxide on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2007
    Monoxide wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:
    Monoxide wrote:
    I've never jailed someone for making an off-topic post or two.

He doesn't count as someone?

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Monoxide wrote:
    PikaPuff wrote:

<DaySleeper> mono

A search for Daysleepers posts shows that his only posts in G&T are in the revolve thread. Some in H/A, then 3 pages of SE++.

Therefore, I will say he is a part of the "people not in G&T" group. This chat log you provided is more evidence towards my point that this was not fun for the forum of G&T, but fun for forums outside of G&T.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Monoxide wrote:
    PikaPuff wrote:

<DaySleeper> mono

Who's DaySleeper?

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Monoxide wrote:
    PikaPuff wrote:

<DaySleeper> mono

Who's DaySleeper?

SE++ poster

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    PikaPuff wrote:
    A search for Daysleepers posts shows that his only posts in G&T are in the revolve thread. Some in H/A, then 3 pages of SE++.

Therefore, I will say he is a part of the "people not in G&T" group. This chat log you provided is more evidence towards my point that this was not fun for the forum of G&T, but fun for forums outside of G&T.
    i'm not sure what we're debating here.. but i'm a G&T regular and i enjoyed it

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Aroduc wrote:
    Monoxide wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:
    Monoxide wrote:

I haven't counted as someone ever since Aeolist posted the cake picture and I reacted accordingly.

Aeolist posts a hentai picture censored by slices of crumbcake. I reply by also posting a hentai picture censored. I was jailed by Orikae with the final reason being he likes Aeolist and not PikaPuff.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2007
    PikaPuff wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:
    Monoxide wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:
    Monoxide wrote:

I haven't counted as someone ever since Aeolist posted the cake picture and I reacted accordingly.

Aeolist posts a hentai picture censored by slices of crumbcake. I reply by also posting a hentai picture censored. I was jailed by Orikae with the final reason being he likes Aeolist and not PikaPuff.

You both should've been jailed because, fuck, at least get a good fetish.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't know about the whole cake thing, but I think everyone is severely overreacting. I think they are overreacting due to the somewhat too rigid G&T rules, which is a valid issue, but overreacting nonetheless.

The reason Pika got singled out is because he kept saying it was off topic so it's only fair if he complains about the need to remain on topic that he be held to that standard. Personally, I think offtopic is great and we need more of it.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Herby wrote:
    Personally, I think offtopic is great and we need more of it.

That's a great idea. We should have a whole off-topic forum!

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Keith wrote:
    Herby wrote:

One that doesn't piss all over people who don't fit into the clique, even.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Keith wrote:
    Herby wrote:

I think we're good with the ones we have. We just need more fun in the non-trainwreck forums.

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Keith wrote:
    Herby wrote:

i can see this is a discussion with potential!

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I think you're all overreacting. As for Pika basically calling Monty a hypocrite, he kinda has a point.

So shame on you and stuff.

Meiz on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Keith wrote:
    Herby wrote:

There have been people that have joined in the last week and posted in SE++ and haven't had a problem.

If you're getting shit on, it generally means you're being retarded

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Kaseius wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    Herby wrote:

I think we're good with the ones we have. We just need more fun in the non-trainwreck forums.
    If G&T is a non-trainwreck forum, I have fun in that forum. I don't understand what you mean.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Keith wrote:
    Herby wrote:

Honestly I think of the forums more as a vegetable or fruit platter than a community nowadays. It's more fun when you just sample the different areas instead of trying to separate them into distinct communities. If you look, most of them even bleed together.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It's a fucking webforum, jesus, grow up, it's not a fucking stock exchange or something. Lighten up and quit acting like everyone hates you. They don't.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I thought it was amusing. But then I don't see everything as some kind personal attack against me and my way of life, so whatever. Though I will say that the only G&Ter I've seen get pissed all over in SE was Cronyx and he was an idiot (or was that just his LARP character?).

Invisible on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Keith wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    Herby wrote:

There have been people that have joined in the last week and posted in SE++ and haven't had a problem.

If you're getting shit on, it generally means you're being retarded
    I guess, but it often seems like posting there is like walking through a minefield of unwritten rules on how to be not-retarded in SE's eyes. And if you do place a foot wrong, you get rammed up the ass so hard you won't be able to shit for a week.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Uh, I read and posted in the announcement, and I read this entire thread and I still don't have a clue what's going on with revolve. The best I can guesstimate from the posts in here is that he moved to some other country?

Second, while your intentions might have been noble, Mono, the whole thing was just...downright weird, particularly considering the rules.

Third, and it isn't my intention to insult you here but I don't know how else to word this, I'm not sure you even understand the concept of "on-topic" anymore, at least from what I've seen lately. Like, in the EB/PS3 thread, where everyone was posting about the EB PS3 advertisement, and then you come in telling people (well, me) to fuck off and began threatening to lock the thread because people were posting off-topic stuff, which just wasn't true. Maybe they weren't posting what you wanted them to, but on-topic doesn't mean everyone agrees with everyone else, or that everyone has a positive outlook on things. If people are discussing the thread's content, then they are posting ON-TOPIC. I think that is somewhat relevant here, and I don't think you are the only person that misunderstands the concept, but I think your behavior in that thread was uncalled for, and considering this announcement thread, I'm really fucking confused altogether.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Aroduc wrote:
    Monoxide wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:
    Monoxide wrote:

I'm pretty sure that he said that because instead of Pika enjoying the thread for what it was he decided to complain that it was like a chat thread. Personally, I'm confused as to why people that posted in the chat thread complained that it was like chat thread. Are you guys so intent on proving how utterly terrible the mods are that you'd rather make a silly attempt to prove how wrong they are rather than enjoying a goofy thread?

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited January 2007
    Keith wrote:

There have also been people who've joined in the last week and done nothing wrong that have been shit on by elitist retards.

Let's not pretend SE doesn't have it's fair share of stupidity regarding new people.

Tube on
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Goomba wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:
    Monoxide wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:
    Monoxide wrote:

I'm pretty sure that he said that because instead of Pika enjoying the thread for what it was he decided to complain that it was like a chat thread. Personally, I'm confused as to why people that posted in the chat thread complained that it was like chat thread. Are you guys so intent on proving how utterly terrible the mods are that you'd rather make a silly attempt to prove how wrong they are rather than enjoying a goofy thread?

For the record, I don't think that thread had anything goofy in it. It was rather stale. God knows I've made my fair share of them to recognize one when I see it.

Meiz on
  • Options
    ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It wasn't a good thread.

Just Mono dicking about and having a kind of fun 'offtopic' thread in G&T for a change.

In my opinion since the chat threads have gone in GT it has become much better. I fully support that decision.

I do feel that megathreads should come back. If only to collect up the smaller tiny threads for very simple problems that get locked after 1 page (eg at one point we had like 3 concurrent Baldur's Gate 2 threads).

A mega thread for events, like CES, should also be good.

But the idea that SE++ can simply become the chat forum was a little retarded. There is chat then there is SE++ chat, where no matter what your OP is, however relevant, funny or humiliating, the first page is quite literally 'cocks, dicks or kill yourself'.

Plus, there are a few SE++ guys who feel they somehow own the forum and shun newbies. I migrated there a bit from GT which I almost exclusively read, and it was apparent so quickly.

In my opinion, megathreads should come back to G&T, ones like 'Zelda' or 'Steam/Source' are great, and collect everything nicely. Console megathreads obviously should be phased out. Chat threads in GT were an abomination though, and good riddance. But SE++ is by no means an alternative. It is not in any way a chat thread, as much as a very cliqued personal forum for about 20 regulars.

Just because you can label a thread as a chat thread, it shouldnt go in SE++. Perhaps another 'ontopic chat forum' is needed. More rules and such than SE++ but with the freeroaming style of chat threads. I mean I can chat about my most recent game purchase, or my favorite shooter, and general 'poll thread' titles for ages, but you even go to SE++ and it is so surreal, so tight nit that any outsider just finds it repulsive and leaves it alone.

ToadTheMushroom on
This discussion has been closed.