As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Why can mods make fake announcements?

• Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Keith wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    Herby wrote:
    Personally, I think offtopic is great and we need more of it.

That's a great idea. We should have a whole off-topic forum!
    One that doesn't piss all over people who don't fit into the clique, even.

There have been people that have joined in the last week and posted in SE++ and haven't had a problem.

If you're getting shit on, it generally means you're being retarded
    I guess, but it often seems like posting there is like walking through a minefield of unwritten rules on how to be not-retarded in SE's eyes. And if you do place a foot wrong, you get rammed up the ass so hard you won't be able to shit for a week.

The two keys to posting successfully in SE are lurking for a little while to get a feel for it, and having a thick skin if you do happen to get flamed. While both are more necessary there than on other subforums or messageboards, those are good things to do/have anywhere.

Smasher on
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Smasher wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    Herby wrote:
    Personally, I think offtopic is great and we need more of it.

That's a great idea. We should have a whole off-topic forum!
    One that doesn't piss all over people who don't fit into the clique, even.

There have been people that have joined in the last week and posted in SE++ and haven't had a problem.

I guess, but it often seems like posting there is like walking through a minefield of unwritten rules on how to be not-retarded in SE's eyes. And if you do place a foot wrong, you get rammed up the ass so hard you won't be able to shit for a week.

The two keys to posting successfully in SE are lurking for a little while to get a feel for it, and having a thick skin if you do happen to get flamed. While both are more necessary there than on other subforums or messageboards, those are good things to do/have anywhere.
    i've lurked in SE++ and I can tell you that it is just not for me. Not that I'm complaining or anything, but I know some people just don't and won't fit in there.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited January 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Just because you can label a thread as a chat thread, it shouldnt go in SE++. Perhaps another 'ontopic chat forum' is needed. More rules and such than SE++ but with the freeroaming style of chat threads. I mean I can chat about my most recent game purchase, or my favorite shooter, and general 'poll thread' titles for ages, but you even go to SE++ and it is so surreal, so tight nit that any outsider just finds it repulsive and leaves it alone.

An interesting idea, but I think having an "on-topic" chat forum would eventually just lead back to a SE--/SD split, with the new SE having far less redeming value than the current one (however much or little you happen to think that might be). Granted, part of the reason for SD was that it was actively advertised there was no moderation whatsoever, but even if that weren't the case I'm pretty sure there would be a trend in that sort of direction as time went on.

Smasher on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Goomba wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:
    Monoxide wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:
    Monoxide wrote:
    I've never jailed someone for making an off-topic post or two.

You, uh... you just said that you'd ban Pika if he made an offtopic post.

Pika. Not anyone else. Just Pika.

He doesn't count as someone?
    I'm pretty sure that he said that because instead of Pika enjoying the thread for what it was he decided to complain that it was like a chat thread. Personally, I'm confused as to why people that posted in the chat thread complained that it was like chat thread. Are you guys so intent on proving how utterly terrible the mods are that you'd rather make a silly attempt to prove how wrong they are rather than enjoying a goofy thread?

After 7 pages of people being confused, I asked the quetion in a place where it could be answered. I could have replaces all instances of 'chat' with 'goofy' in my opening post. I did use 'chat thread' as an overexageration, the same way I used to compare everything to Nazis killing Jews. I shouldn't have used 'chat thread' because this is becoming a "bitch about the chat thread" thing.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Another, "Not SE++" chat forum is a terrible horrible idea that will never happen in a million years.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    PikaPuff wrote:
    Goomba wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:
    Monoxide wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:
    Monoxide wrote:

I'm pretty sure that he said that because instead of Pika enjoying the thread for what it was he decided to complain that it was like a chat thread. Personally, I'm confused as to why people that posted in the chat thread complained that it was like chat thread. Are you guys so intent on proving how utterly terrible the mods are that you'd rather make a silly attempt to prove how wrong they are rather than enjoying a goofy thread?

After 7 pages of people being confused, I asked the quetion in a place where it could be answered. I could have replaces all instances of 'chat' with 'goofy' in my opening post. I did use 'chat thread' as an overexageration, the same way I used to compare everything to Nazis killing Jews. I shouldn't have used 'chat thread' because this is becoming a "bitch about the chat thread" thing.
    Well, it was going on and on through most of the thread. By then I think he was sick of it.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    But the idea that SE++ can simply become the chat forum was a little retarded. There is chat then there is SE++ chat, where no matter what your OP is, however relevant, funny or humiliating, the first page is quite literally 'cocks, dicks or kill yourself'.
    Yeah, because SE++ totally doesn't have a rule against this :?

TFS, why do they hate us so? You guys act like there's not twenty decent conversations that progress in a normal fashion (IRL) in SE++ right now.

And seriously, I don't know who revolve is or what he did, but I know a weird joke in poor taste when I see one. Lighten the hell up, people; it's a forum for a webcomic.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    But the idea that SE++ can simply become the chat forum was a little retarded. There is chat then there is SE++ chat, where no matter what your OP is, however relevant, funny or humiliating, the first page is quite literally 'cocks, dicks or kill yourself'.
    Yeah, because SE++ totally doesn't have a rule against this :?
    SE++ has been a much better place after that rule was implemented. People are still thinking of the old SE++, though, and don't know it's a bit more tolerant to outsiders now. There's still way too many clique rules so I don't post in 99% of the topics there, but it's a lot more fun to read now.

edit: one problem with SE++ though is that cartoon wangs are allowed there so you have to tread carefully.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Regarding SE++, it seems to be less reliant on in-jokes and clique-clickery lately.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Goomba wrote:
    i've lurked in SE++ and I can tell you that it is just not for me. Not that I'm complaining or anything, but I know some people just don't and won't fit in there.

Quite true. I was aiming more for "how to post in SE without continually getting flamed" rather than "how to enjoy SE"; either you do or you don't.

Smasher on
  • Options
    Anime OwnsAnime Owns Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    A mega thread for events, like CES, should also be good.

I'd just like to say that the thread on Apple's conference recently was quite a success with a fair amount of good discussion.

Anime Owns on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    seriously, please, won't somebody think of the children and just lighten up? it was a joke, it was well-received by some, poorly-received by others. I hope it's not the last time someone tries that; we need humour around the place (as this thread is evincing). We don't need a SE/G&T debate, and we don't need a Chat Thread debate.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Lighten the hell up, people; it's a forum for a webcomic.
    I always hate this arguement point.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Smasher wrote:
    Goomba wrote:

Quite true. I was aiming more for "how to post in SE without continually getting flamed" rather than "how to enjoy SE"; either you do or you don't.
    That's a good point. I was more or less explaining to certain far sides why not everyone likes SE++.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    What the fuck is a clique rule please explain this to me
    Keith wrote:

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    PikaPuff wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:
    Monoxide wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:
    Monoxide wrote:

I haven't counted as someone ever since Aeolist posted the cake picture and I reacted accordingly.

Aeolist posts a hentai picture censored by slices of crumbcake. I reply by also posting a hentai picture censored. I was jailed by Orikae with the final reason being he likes Aeolist and not PikaPuff.
    i hate you both and wish you would stop posting

that was a year and a half ago

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited January 2007

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    darleysam wrote:
    seriously, please, won't somebody think of the children and just lighten up? it was a joke, it was well-received by some, poorly-received by others. I hope it's not the last time someone tries that; we need humour around the place (as this thread is evincing). We don't need a SE/G&T debate, and we don't need a Chat Thread debate.
    You hope it's not the last time that a mod makes an announcement to laugh at people that don't know what's really going on?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2007
    PikaPuff wrote:
    Keith wrote:

So a clique rule is "don't do something that's unaccepted by the general populace"?

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited January 2007
    Well this has gone spectacularly off topic. We don't need a G&T vs SE or BRING BACK THE CHAT THREAD debate.

My view on it is that mono made a funny (to some, not to others, boo hoo) thread. A funny thread every few months won't kill anyone, and the advantage of a mod doing it is that they can theoretically be trusted not to do it every five minutes and get silly over everything. For anyone who cried "OH SO YOU THINK MODS GET TO DO THINGS WE DON'T" bear in mind we also get to lock threads, split threads, edit thread, edit post, jail users, ban users, and all sorts of other shit. It's not worth making a fuss because (horror!) a mod tried to do something fun. If you DIDN'T find it fun, I'd question why you kept going back to it. It's not something that happens every day, so just ignore it.

Now I have to go, I rented an ambulance and a paramedics uniform because I figure it'll help me pick up morbidly drunk chicks and rape them under sedation. Toodles.

Tube on
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Keith wrote:
    PikaPuff wrote:
    Keith wrote:

So a clique rule is "don't do something that's unaccepted by the general populace"?

The problem with SE is that most of its denizens textually pound the shit out of newcomers, even if they've done nothing wrong.

SeñorAmor on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    PikaPuff wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:
    Monoxide wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:
    Monoxide wrote:

I haven't counted as someone ever since Aeolist posted the cake picture and I reacted accordingly.

Aeolist posts a hentai picture censored by slices of crumbcake. I reply by also posting a hentai picture censored. I was jailed by Orikae with the final reason being he likes Aeolist and not PikaPuff.
    i hate you both and wish you would stop posting

that was a year and a half ago
    You've proven time and time again that you're a cool guy (outside of the chat thread >.> <.< >.> ). I'm sorry for bringing up that stupid shit again and again trying to deface you.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    PikaPuff wrote:
    darleysam wrote:
    You hope it's not the last time that a mod makes an announcement to laugh at people that don't know what's really going on?
    I'm sorry the mean people forced you all to post in a thread that you had no idea about. Since it was clear that it wasn't for you, you could have gone back to your normal business.

But if you did that you couldn't whine about something as unimportant as a thread to have fun in, could you?

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    The problem with SE is that most of its denizens textually pound the shit out of newcomers, even if they've done nothing wrong.

bingo

maybe something to make a topic about. This thread is locked at page 6.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    PikaPuff wrote:
    darleysam wrote:
    if you're gonna phrase it like that, well, sure, why the hell not.

it made me laugh. I don't hate fun.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007

bingo

Split it into a new thread. Y'know, using those awesome powers you were just bragging about. :P

SeñorAmor on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Well this has gone spectacularly off topic. We don't need a G&T vs SE or BRING BACK THE CHAT THREAD debate.

My view on it is that mono made a funny (to some, not to others, boo hoo) thread. A funny thread every few months won't kill anyone, and the advantage of a mod doing it is that they can theoretically be trusted not to do it every five minutes and get silly over everything. For anyone who cried "OH SO YOU THINK MODS GET TO DO THINGS WE DON'T" bear in mind we also get to lock threads, split threads, edit thread, edit post, jail users, ban users, and all sorts of other shit. It's not worth making a fuss because (horror!) a mod tried to do something fun. If you DIDN'T find it fun, I'd question why you kept going back to it. It's not something that happens every day, so just ignore it.

Now I have to go, I rented an ambulance and a paramedics uniform because I figure it'll help me pick up morbidly drunk chicks and rape them under sedation. Toodles.
    are you going to be burt reynolds in cannonball run?

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    PikaPuff wrote:
    Lighten the hell up, people; it's a forum for a webcomic.
    I always hate this arguement point.

It's trite, Pika, but it's true. I can appreciate the necessity for keeping things SFW; I can appreciate keeping pedophiles out of our little online community. What I can't wrap my head around is the sheer indignation of what's old versus what's new. Were things better back before I joined? I dunno. Are they fun and informative now? Yes, I think so. That's pretty much how I define most of life: if it's not enjoyable, and it's supposed to be entertaining, don't participate. Problem solved.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    edited January 2007

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited January 2007

bingo

one tends to assume if people post with a "Joined Today: TIME" in their join date, that they did not lurk, therefore they are ripe for the flaming
    That seems an odd thing to assume.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2007

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited January 2007

bingo

one tends to assume if people post with a "Joined Today: TIME" in their join date, that they did not lurk, therefore they are ripe for the flaming

or maybe DUH DUH DUH they lurked before they made their account. Or maybe they didn't lurk but are doing fine anyway. It's a stupid excuse. Flaming people just for being new is pathetic.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited January 2007

I think the point here is that mods are supposed to lead by example. A mod breaking a rule (infrequent and funny as it may be) echoes much much louder than a regular forumer breaking a rule.

SeñorAmor on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Goomba wrote:
    PikaPuff wrote:
    darleysam wrote:
    I'm sorry the mean people forced you all to post in a thread that you had no idea about. Since it was clear that it wasn't for you, you could have gone back to your normal business.

But if you did that you couldn't whine about something as unimportant as a thread to have fun in, could you?
    If it wasn't for G&T then why was it put in the G&T forum? I know who revolve is so I wanted to know if it was true or not. After finding out it was a joke thread I wanted to know if joke threads were allowed in G&T. So I made a thread in the Monkey Den for a clarification on the rules. I shouldn't have reposted my OP in the original thread, though. I thought it would lead people from posting off topic in the Revolve thread and talk about it in a proper place, like the monkey den.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Goomba wrote:

bingo

That seems an odd thing to assume.
    Eh, I don't see why

people who lurk tend not to post within their first 24 hours of joining

What about those who lurked before they registered?

*Edit*
    Dammit, Tube.

SeñorAmor on
  • Options
    edited January 2007

I think the point here is that mods are supposed to lead by example. A mod breaking a rule (infrequent and funny as it may be) echoes much much louder than a regular forumer breaking a rule.
    I think G&T's color scheme should be grey and dark gray. Emoticons will be light grey. This will tone down any color intake and thus allow it to become the worst place to post in ever.

Pika, it was for G&T. You and the other people are not the only ones from G&T. You guys seem to have a hard time understanding that.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2007

no, i'll go with what CT said, that it's better when a mod does this kind of thing, since you know they're not going to spam it into the ground or whatever. As has been said, some found it funny, some did not. This is not cause for an inquisition.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    i checked out the thread shortly after it had been made, understood it was a joke between mono and revolve/maybe some others,

shrugged, and went about my business

I can only see myself getting uppity if there were several announcements of that sort often clogging up the front page, but this basically never happens so who cares

Deusfaux on
This discussion has been closed.