As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Alpha Protocol: Old Thread

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited May 2010
    Silpheed wrote: »
    Didn't you also had particularly shitty luck with some other broken games

Yeah, I got a gamebreaker halfway through Arcanum and didn't think the game was good enough to warrant restarting.
    Out of curiosity, what kind of gamebreaker did you encounter, Tube?

The quickload menu would pop up every time the game loaded for anything, so even just running ten feet down the road would cause an "are you sure you want to load" message which then had to be clicked away. I could theoretically have finished the game if I was the most patient man in the world.

Tube on
  • Options
    General_WinGeneral_Win Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Bloodlines never broke for me either. Doesn't seem plausible that I just have amazing bug-free runs.

I played Bloodlines a couple years after release. I probably got it off of steam. I don't remember any bugs that made me restart the whole game.

There may have been places where I had to reload a save though.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Edcrab wrote: »
    This game has more bugs and "technical niggles" than either Dark Messiah or VTM: Bloodlines ever did

I definitely got some enjoyment out of it but awarding it a 9 seems a pretty rosetinted view of things
    . If you're paying attention you should pretty much know the tack you want to adopt long before the other party's finished speaking.

You might think so, but when I'm offered "leave" and "stay" as two options and it's not made explicit whether it means stay with you rather than staying behind in the safehouse, then I think clarity is an issue

I'm assuming that's later on. Still just a couple of missions into Moscow, which is the last of the opening three areas for me.

But yes, so far I would definitely rank the writing here over anything Bioware have ever done, slipups aside. Mass Effect 2 was a huge improvement over the first game, but far too much of it was still a lot of talking about Very Big Issues and not engaging enough with the individual human side. Good as it was it never went quite far enough (the game forcing you to either be a dick or uninterested on Mordin's loyalty mission, or never being able to outright confront Tali or the Quarians over their conflict with the Geth, or never really exploring the impact of Jack's Big Reveal on her psyche, etc., etc.).

And no, I don't think I'd give it a nine or a ten or any kind of glowing praise. Obsidian definitely deserve a sharp slap on the wrist for their continuing inability to, to... discipline themselves, I guess. The art design's bland at best, the graphics look like Virtua Cop (the same otherworldly primary-coloured sheen over everything), the animation's godawful more often than not (couple of nice routines, but precious few), the gameplay is just throwing things at a wall and seeing what sticks while never checking the little things... the writing's a lot more human and believable than most videogames ever get, but the world and the way you interact with it, Jesus, couldn't be further away.

But I am enjoying it. Must have played for near four hours straight today, and I still want to see more.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Actualy there was one bug in AP. It only happened in 2 places but when I reloaded a save, he'd be firing his dual uzis and wouldnt stop until I switched weapons, so it wasted ammo and alerted people in te area.

Though in the 2nd place I used it to my advantage.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Bloodlines never broke for me either. Doesn't seem plausible that I just have amazing bug-free runs.

I played Bloodlines a couple years after release. I probably got it off of steam. I don't remember any bugs that made me restart the whole game.

The CTD has been patched out since release. In an unpatched game it will unavoidably CTD 100% of the time on a certain section of the game.

Tube on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Silpheed wrote: »
    Didn't you also had particularly shitty luck with some other broken games

Yeah, I got a gamebreaker halfway through Arcanum and didn't think the game was good enough to warrant restarting.
    Out of curiosity, what kind of gamebreaker did you encounter, Tube?

The quickload menu would pop up every time the game loaded for anything, so even just running ten feet down the road would cause an "are you sure you want to load" message which then had to be clicked away. I could theoretically have finished the game if I was the most patient man in the world.
    Wow, I've completed Arcanum several times and encountered several bugs but that one was new to me.

In other news I've finally ordered a new PC so I'll be getting down with the PC version of AP soon. It'll be interesting to see on what side on the fence I'll end up in regarding the general quality of the game.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm the same as you.

It's funny listening to the opinions of this game(positive and negative) have made it a even bigger day one purchase for me out of sheer morbid curiosity.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Dragon don't expect it to get really good until you leave Sauidi, thats where the dialogue missions come more often and your choices become more evident. Saudi is like the training mission.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hmm see with Dark Messiah and VTM:BL I missed out on a lot of the bugs people mention, but Alpha Protocol is the exact opposite: in this playthrough (yes I am firing it up again for some reason) I seem to be encountering every bug or glitch that people have mentioned before

I accidentally kicked a ladder during a brawl and got my goddamn foot stuck on it. How does that even happen.

"Ah... fuck... guys, wait, stop hitting me, I got my boot caught between these rungs!"

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Edcrab get on steam so I can mock you

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So how awesome is this game? I dont have time to read the entire thread but it looks pretty sweet.

Someone throw me some comparisons and analogies.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    darkmayo wrote: »
    So how awesome is this game? I dont have time to read the entire thread but it looks pretty sweet.

How about you go ahead and read the thread?

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah...just go back like 10 pages. It's worth it.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Faffel wrote: »

Hmm snark doesnt make me want to pickup the game, anyone else.

It looks like Mass Effect except better combat and chalk full of spy goodness, is that an accurate assessment.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Not really, no. Combat is pretty clumsy and so are the controls over all come to think of it.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I'm the same as you.

It's funny listening to the opinions of this game(positive and negative) have made it a even bigger day one purchase for me out of sheer morbid curiosity.

Certainly not 40 dollars worth of curiosity.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'm confused are we talking about ME1 combat or ME2 combat.

@cooljammer: I'm a college student on break with no responsibilities pass phone bills and car insurance. I've got money to burn.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I'm confused are we talking about ME1 combat or ME2 combat.

Mentally I am thinking ME2.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

The CTD has been patched out since release. In an unpatched game it will unavoidably CTD 100% of the time on a certain section of the game.

Unless you were Nosferatu. They ignored that bug and so I was wondering what people were complaining about (as my first playthrough was as a Nosferatu).

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Well, as someone who has read most of the thread...

It's a love-or-hate, with some cherishing every moment of it (or at least, cherishing every moment of story and choice/consequence of it) and others despising it with every fiber of their being.

general concensus seems to be that the writing is good, the choices and consequences are there, and all of that is almost unversally praised, but combat is painful if your unwilling to conform to what it wants, which isn't what is normally expected for third-person shooters.

On top of all that, people have been running into some frustrating bugs, despite all the extra time this game got thanks to delays...

In all? wether you'll like it or not seems to be a crapshoot. :P

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The only really bad bug I've had was enemies disappearing when I reloaded, and as I said, I think that only happened in Saudi. Haven't seen it for quite some time. It was also very annoying that while several missions start with you safely in cover, and enemies conveniently turned away from you, reloading that first checkpoint frequently sticks you out in the open and with people staring right at you. Also had the game spawn double guards at one point, two of them stuck inside each other on the same patrol route, which made it near impossible to avoid setting off the alarms.

Mostly it's been terrible ragdoll physics (any Thorton death is good for a chuckle) and horrible animation glitches. I've lost count of how many times I've ended up with Mike in a standing position, one knee up with his foot resting on an invisible ledge and jiggling about in the air while I wait in cover. It's hardly a gamebreaker, but it's bloody distracting.

And the animation of his crouching walk is hysterical. Mega64 or someone should take the piss out of that post-haste.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So how awesome is this game?

So awesome.

If you can look past the flaws.

Which are... well, let's say they can't be counted on one hand. Or two hands. You might have to use your feet here.

But it's so awesome.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So what are the romance options in this game? Because if I heard correctly, there's an achievement for sleeping with everyone.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Scarlet, Mina, Sie and Sis. Not sure if Madison counts, not even sure how you achieve it considering I never saw most of them.

And I agree with whoever said that a repeat playthrough is harder because you play initially as the person you would play, possibly to take into a sequel. Replaying is generally playing against how you'd play to see whats different, so I'd execute everyone and be a Rambo.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Scarlet, Mina, Sie and Sis. Not sure if Madison counts, not even sure how you achieve it considering I never saw most of them.

And I agree with whoever said that a repeat playthrough is harder because you play initially as the person you would play, possibly to take into a sequel. Replaying is generally playing against how you'd play to see whats different, so I'd execute everyone and be a Rambo.

I don't think Sis is one. At least, she never showed up in any previews about the romance options, and isn't a seperate acheivment like the other 4 (Scarlet, Mina, Sie, and Madison) are.

Then again, I won't start finding out one way or the other until tommorow.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Faffel wrote: »

Hmm snark doesnt make me want to pickup the game, anyone else.

It looks like Mass Effect except better combat and chalk full of spy goodness, is that an accurate assessment.

It's not snark. It's the fact that discussion of the game's balance and gameplay has all that's been happening in the last 10 pages and if you had taken 5 minutes to read the thread you might have gotten all the information you need, you silly goddamned fucking goose.

That was snark.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Hey guess what, we don't need you to tell people how to post.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I fucking hated Mass Effect 1, terrible game. I do not hate this.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sis isn't romancable.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Then why is she so hot?

Must be something there since you can build a relatonship with her. Madisons ...Im note ven sure why shes there.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    If Sis is the one with the hoody, then I really hope she is.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    An earlier interview stated that she was a teenager (though it seems this has been changed) and not romancable. At this rate she is becoming Alpha Protocol's Tali.

Tertiee on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Tertiee wrote: »
    An earlier interview stated that she was a teenager (though it seems this has been changed) and not romancable. At this rate she is becoming Alpha Protocol's Tali.

Don't say that. I like Sis, I don't want that to happen to her.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Tertiee wrote: »
    I can see why. Sis is one of the more likeable and (apparently) complex women in the game, even though she... You know what, let's not spoil it. :P

And while her exact age is never stated, she's at least of technically legal age.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah. She was my romance option until I found out she wasn't one. For age reasons and all that.

Now I'm looking at Ming.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    And suddenly, Sis fanfiction.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Ming is fugly. I was sad I ended up with her out of politeness.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    oh god, gametrailers did a video review, they do some of the best in the industry, it has made me very sad about this game :(

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

All of your opinions are now suspect.

Though I still want to get AP at some point.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    CarbonFire wrote: »

All of your opinions are now suspect.
    I really quite enjoyed Mass Effect 1. I also really quite enjoy this game.

How's that, then?

WotanAnubis on