As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Alpha Protocol: Old Thread

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited May 2010
    has anyone tried
    siding with halbech

Tube on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    has anyone tried
    siding with halbech

Im almost interested in knowing this but I think Id like to find out how it goes for myself, I spoiled enough reading those above.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    And just a reminder, the console versions are on sale for $45, and the PC version is significantly cheaper in the UK too, 18 pounds to get it shipped (though the only place that seems to be in stock there is amazon.co.uk, so you'd probably need to get someone to reship it) and 25 pounds at DD, including gifting through steam

I was going to try and get it gifted through Steam since it's $36 equivalent, but I see D2D has it available for worldwide purchase on the British version for the same. So...would that work fine and be able to play it today, instead of tomorrow? Could I have been playing this on Friday? Never used D2D, but I see they offer redownloading later, like Steam. Maybe I'll just give it a try.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Raoulduke20Raoulduke20 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    has anyone tried
    siding with halbech

Im almost interested in knowing this but I think Id like to find out how it goes for myself, I spoiled enough reading those above.

I'm starting my second playthrough now with the intention of taking this route. I'm also going soldier to see if it's my pistol/shotgun/shitloads-of-gadgets combo that's making the shooting so disproportionately enjoyable for me.

Raoulduke20 on
    signatureih.jpg
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Is the lockpicking minigame supposed to be done with pressure sensitive triggers? Or do I just tap the button and hope they lock in place?

I have to use an emulator to get my gamepad to function. Unfortunately, the emulator only assign the triggers as buttons instead of sliders.

Morvidus on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I had the chaingun happen.

Rocket launcher? What?

I need to play this game a few more times.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I just watched the Giant Bomb Quick Look of this game. More like Alpha Proctocal, right?

...right?

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I just watched the Giant Bomb Quick Look of this game. More like Alpha Proctocal, right?

...right?

No.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    And just a reminder, the console versions are on sale for $45, and the PC version is significantly cheaper in the UK too, 18 pounds to get it shipped (though the only place that seems to be in stock there is amazon.co.uk, so you'd probably need to get someone to reship it) and 25 pounds at DD, including gifting through steam

I was going to try and get it gifted through Steam since it's $36 equivalent, but I see D2D has it available for worldwide purchase on the British version for the same. So...would that work fine and be able to play it today, instead of tomorrow? Could I have been playing this on Friday? Never used D2D, but I see they offer redownloading later, like Steam. Maybe I'll just give it a try.

Yes you could have bought in on Friday through D2D UK. That's exactly what I did and it worked great. :)

I've been really enjoying it so far, got through the first hub and headed to Moscow now.

The tech is rather 2006, but the writing and choices are the best I've seen this type of branching story done so far. It's fluid and cool.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

...right?

I don't know. Sure?

(Your username is good)

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    It would depend how they tackled a sequel and if they took note of some of your choices but I could definintely see Mike setting up a mini spy organisation with people like Heck.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Morvidus wrote: »
    Is the lockpicking minigame supposed to be done with pressure sensitive triggers? Or do I just tap the button and hope they lock in place?

I have to use an emulator to get my gamepad to function. Unfortunately, the emulator only assign the triggers as buttons instead of sliders.

Yeah - you're pushing against the resistance of the spring with the left trigger, and locking it in place with the right trigger. A nasty side-effect of the 'Games for Windows' branding is that it essentially cripples non-360 pad support. The KBAM version of the minigame obviously doesn't use analogue triggers though.

I seriously dislike what Microsoft's done to PC gaming over the past few years (arbitrarily OS-locking DirectX, enforcing 360 controller use, packing automatic unrevokable install limits and savegame encryption with GFWL), but I ultimately just bit the bullet and got a wired 360 pad a while ago - it renders some unplayable ports perfectly palatable.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    brynstar wrote: »
    Yes you could have bought in on Friday through D2D UK. That's exactly what I did and it worked great. :)

It is monstrous that this information was not in the thread title on Friday.

Downloading now!

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I have no idea if I hate or like this game.

So confused.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Kagera wrote: »
    Tube's posts about the game have convinced me to cancel my preorder and wait for the game to come down in price.

Although to be fair I was thinking about it anyway because I don't really have the funds available to be purchasing games right now.

Eh, it's not like it's a multiplayer title. It'll still be the same game 6 months from now, barring bug fixes and such.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You really are distracted by other little things like not getting killed to worry about the crouch animation. I only noticed it because everyone kept complaining about it. There really are good things here, the crouch should not make the game for you anymore than the running animation in Fallout 3 made it for anyone.

CRIPES FINE I'LL BUY THE STUPID GAME.

I guess if I just get it on the PC and don't like it as-is, I can just put it aside until mods fix my gripes.

Gah don't buy it on my say-so, you'll end up hating it and blaming me.

The negative reactions are overblown, you can say you don't like spy stories or that the shooting isn't great but to label them dealbreakers or to call the plot poor is just lying. Its not as deep as KOTOR 2 or Torment but thats because spies tend to not seek their true place in the universe very often.

For all that, you really are constantly called on to think about what Thorton's ultimate objectives are in all this, just what he's trying to achieve and why.

First playthrough I went through as stealth-pistol-and-martial-arts guy. When the going got tough, the tough usually suffered a broken nose from a flying knee to the face.

This is something that did not get old.

Anyway, figuring on a veteran run, and I'm wondering what to go with. Assuming I get a decent weapon skill with either the shotgun or rifle, subtlety is largely out the window unless I take Stealth and aim for silent takedowns. Or possibly focus on gadgets and make use of plenty of shock-traps to take people out unawares.

I won't deny, having a pistol only for ranged combat made me wish more than once I'd gone with the rifle for range and stopping power. Of course once I'd pumped up martial arts to the max, I was laying the beatdown even on the bosses (er... once I reached them). Plus silenced pistol + tranq darts made it a lot easier to avoid "unwanted" casualties. Which makes me tempted keep either stealth or martial arts for those occasions.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The only boss you can't spam martial arts on is BRayko. Anyone else and they're done for the second you start swinging.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The only boss you can't spam martial arts on is BRayko. Anyone else and they're done for the second you start swinging.

I think you can do Brayko as well, you just need to start running when he gets the knives out. After a bit his adrenaline rush (or whatever it is he's doing) wears off and you can get a few good hits in. Although not too many, so it might take a while if you're doing pure martial arts.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Actually now I think of it, you cant melee Sis either, she moves too fast and shoots as she runs.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Actually now I think of it, you cant melee Sis either, she moves too fast and shoots as she runs.

No she does engage you in martial arts if you try, I've tried it. Although at the time I didn't have many skillpoints in that area so it didn't really work out, probably not the best idea to challenge a boss with a low skill in that area.

Last playthrough I learned almost nothing about G22 and its motives. Might have to fix that this time around. I feel as if even understanding the choices I made, there was still more going on in the background than I realised and which might be revealed on an additional playthrough.

Of course there's a chance that Albatross might try to break my heart and kill me, but that's par for the course.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I didnt learn much either, I had them as allies but my points with them were too low to select them as a handler.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm probably going to end up being pretty selective with my allies(I know I'm going to kill Byakko) so hopefully I'll be able to get in further with them.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I didnt learn much either, I had them as allies but my points with them were too low to select them as a handler.
    I took Zie on the embassy mission. Maybe not as practical, but certainly a lot more funny. Especially when you factor in her "assistance" at the start of the mansion mission . :lol:.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I only executed one person right at the end, I wish I'd executed another
    Shaheed

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Bioptic wrote: »
    Morvidus wrote: »

Yeah - you're pushing against the resistance of the spring with the left trigger, and locking it in place with the right trigger. A nasty side-effect of the 'Games for Windows' branding is that it essentially cripples non-360 pad support. The KBAM version of the minigame obviously doesn't use analogue triggers though.

I seriously dislike what Microsoft's done to PC gaming over the past few years (arbitrarily OS-locking DirectX, enforcing 360 controller use, packing automatic unrevokable install limits and savegame encryption with GFWL), but I ultimately just bit the bullet and got a wired 360 pad a while ago - it renders some unplayable ports perfectly palatable.

I guess switching to KBAM when I pick a lock, then back to pad is working out decently for now.

Morvidus on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Honestly, this is the game Heavy Rain pretended to be, I can't think of a game that comes close to having this level of choice and reaction and if has to be a little rough around the edges I can live with that.

Atmosphere wise its not as good as Bloodlines but thats because I prefer vampires and bloodsucking to spies. But its a great game and I firmly believe it'll be a cult hit one day.
    Like Hitman 2.
    Not really

Though hopefully this one will get a sequel since its their own IP

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Honestly, this is the game Heavy Rain pretended to be, I can't think of a game that comes close to having this level of choice and reaction and if has to be a little rough around the edges I can live with that.

Atmosphere wise its not as good as Bloodlines but thats because I prefer vampires and bloodsucking to spies. But its a great game and I firmly believe it'll be a cult hit one day.
    Like Hitman 2.
    Not really

Yeah, I imagine that in a few years people will speak very fondly of the game, but unfortunately the lack of advertising and large number of negative reviews will probably mean it sells next to nothing.

Another thing the game also does an excellent job at is making you second guess decisions you've made. There was one choice in particular that I wasn't proud of during my first playthrough. The consequences of doing what you think is right can be pretty bad and leave you wondering how things could have gone. That's something that I've honestly never gotten out of a game before. I didn't even consider redoing the section, I enjoyed sympathizing with my character and justifying my actions. They've taken a step away from the typical good/evil choice dichotomy most games work. This may largely be because it's harder to read characters in AP than is typical, so it's harder to tell what consequences your choice may have. Regardless, I enjoy thinking about reaction rather than just whether I want to save the old woman's box of kittens or blend them into a fine paste and force her to drink it.

Raoulduke20 on
    signatureih.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Like Hitman 2.
    Not really

Blade Runner (adventure game from long defunct Westwood Studios) tried for this approach as well. There was quite a lot of diversity in how things could end up playing out, quite a few different endings. Although that was a much shorter game.

Still hope they get that put up on GOG some day.

EDIT: Also, what Raoulduke20 said. The fact that you're making these decisions means you have to accept what are usually fairly natural consequences arising from those choices. Some of those choices were pretty brutal and I kept second-guessing myself over them all the way through the game, long after I'd made them. The choices aren't ones of "pure good vs pure evil". There's no freaking "Good/Evil/Light/Dark/Paragon/Renegade" bar (something which was ill suited even to Planescape: Torment, but they had to keep it since it was D&D). The closest the game gets to that is that some people like you, others don't, and they do so for logical reasons given their respective backgrounds and situations. Instead you're constantly asked (indirectly) what your motivations are, how far you're willing to go and how that should define your actions.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    subedii wrote: »

Like Hitman 2.
    Not really

Blade Runner (adventure game from long defunct Westwood Studios) tried for this approach as well. There was quite a lot of diversity in how things could end up playing out, quite a few different endings. Although that was a much shorter game.

Still hope they get that put up on GOG some day.

EDIT: Also, what Raoulduke20 said. The fact that you're making these decisions means you have to accept what are usually fairly natural consequences arising from those choices. Some of those choices were pretty brutal and I kept second-guessing myself over them all the way through the game, long after I'd made them. The choices aren't ones of "pure good vs pure evil". There's no freaking "Good/Evil/Light/Dark/Paragon/Renegade" bar (something which was ill suited even to Planescape: Torment, but they had to keep it since it was D&D). The closest the game gets to that is that some people like you, others don't, and they do so for logical reasons given their respective backgrounds and situations. Instead you're constantly asked (indirectly) what your motivations are, how far you're willing to go and how that should define your actions.

Part of the reason this works so effectively, I think, is that they only give you a short time to answer questions, so you can't just stop and consider what choice to make or alt tab to look up which choice leads to which branch, you just have to answer as the character your playing would. In that regard it forces more roleplaying and gut decision making instead of the metagaming that's so easy with most branching rpg's. At first it was a bit annoying because I wasn't used to it, but once I got to some big conversations with weighted questions I liked that I didn't have five minutes to consider each choice in the middle of a heated conversation. I think there's a lot to be learned from the way they've implemented conversations.

Raoulduke20 on
    signatureih.jpg
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    For those of us stateside, I just got an email from FYE telling me that AP is $54 tomorrow. It's not super cheap, but it looks like it's definitely not coming in at the highest 360 pricing.

Somebody said KMart was selling at $45, as well.

I'm definitely picking it up tomorrow at one of those prices. The $200 my mother in law gave me for my birthday today kind of sealed the deal.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, someone mentioned $45 at K-Mart, and that's what I saw when I was checking sites for prices earlier today.

Also, I guess Windows's unzip capabilities have a size limit, because I got a weird error message when trying to extract the D2D zip.
    1073r7a.jpg
    6...petabytes? o_O This game is huge!

(7-Zip worked)

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This seems like the perfect game to get during a price drop. I'm betting that the low review scores will not only lower initial sales from people unsure of a purchase, but those who were going to purchase it anyways now delaying their purchase looking for the inevitable price drop. I'm flat fucking broke right now, so there's no reason I should dip into my savings and buy this game.

In any case, I don't understand why people are so divided on the skill vs. stat derived shooting. It's just two different mechanics that different games will use. I prefer skill-based because I have no problem with aiming, but I can tolerate stat-based mechanics as well.

What I really hate is how some people on this thread have called ME1 innovative while calling ME2 derivative. The innovative part of the series is how your choices are carried over between games, everything else we have seen before.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Except that nothing much comes from carrying over, at least not in ME2. Now if you want to talk about games where your choices matter, there's this little game that you might have heard of....

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    finnith wrote: »
    What I really hate is how some people on this thread have called ME1 innovative while calling ME2 derivative. The innovative part of the series is how your choices are carried over between games, everything else we have seen before.

It's not really innovative, though

qfganth.jpg

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    What are the chances this will actually unlock in 15 minutes like it says? (Steam)

KiTA on
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Very low given the European release didn't release at the exact time Steam said it would.

Tertiee on
  • Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    100%...
    minus 99%
    +95%
    ....-95%

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    But really, when has steam actually ever released a game exactly when the counter says? Plus, it's memorial day. Plus, it's after working hours, even on the west coast

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    But really, when has steam actually ever released a game exactly when the counter says? Plus, it's memorial day. Plus, it's after working hours, even on the west coast

I've never understood why that would even be an issue. Shouldn't this shit just be set to some kind of timer?

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    None of these things you're saying involve me playing this game. I would appreciate it if you said things that involve me playing this game.

Monger on