As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I rock my 200mm to compensate for the [PHOTO]

• Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    bombardier wrote: »
    I've always been against buying new camera stuffs. The stuff that is 2+ years old is still pretty damn good compared to the latest and greatest. The average pro-sumer probably won't run into any limitations with a used model that the new model has a feature that solves that specific issue.

Who here has been shooting and thought "Man, at 3fps I just can't get /the/ shot but with 4.5 fps I totally would have it." or "If only my camera would go up to ISO 25600 instead of /only/ 12800 I would have been able to take a picture of a bat in that pitch dark cave" or "If the processor managed to save images to the card 50ms faster I would be so much better off!"

Am I the only person that doesn't take ten thousand photos in a row to try and get "the" shot? Maybe I don't shoot enough moving stuff, but I carefully plan and shoot and usually only take one shot, maybe two if the exposure sucked.

Yeah the only time I am making use of the FPS limit is if I'm taking a picture of someone running or something like that. Even when I was shooting the air show I was not machine gun shooting.

When I'm shooting people I've certainly gotten better at planning the shot and the lighting in my head and then taking less photos.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    bombardier wrote: »
    I've always been against buying new camera stuffs. The stuff that is 2+ years old is still pretty damn good compared to the latest and greatest. The average pro-sumer probably won't run into any limitations with a used model that the new model has a feature that solves that specific issue.

Who here has been shooting and thought "Man, at 3fps I just can't get /the/ shot but with 4.5 fps I totally would have it." or "If only my camera would go up to ISO 25600 instead of /only/ 12800 I would have been able to take a picture of a bat in that pitch dark cave" or "If the processor managed to save images to the card 50ms faster I would be so much better off!"

Am I the only person that doesn't take ten thousand photos in a row to try and get "the" shot? Maybe I don't shoot enough moving stuff, but I carefully plan and shoot and usually only take one shot, maybe two if the exposure sucked.

I pretty much leave my camera on continuous drive since I usually take 3-4 shots of any particular thing. I have fairly unsteady hands, so if I want pixel level sharpness, the first one usually isn't good enough. Specially at events with people which is where I do most of my shooting, since you never know if someone blinked or looked away or any manner of thing during the VF blackout.

If you're taking pictures of stuff in a studio or with carefully controlled conditions, then yea, probably don't need as many. But for what I do, basically everything is a multi-shot burst.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    my camera is also on continuous burst, because 4/5 of my lenses are manual focus and manual aperture control. Basically if I ever get something completely in focus and properly exposed on try 1 it is a miracle.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Considering you don't lose anything by taking multiple pictures (yayayaya no more film) I don't feel bad about taking multiple pictures of everything. I can sort it out later no problemo.

• Options
    Aldo wrote: »
    Considering you don't lose anything by taking multiple pictures (yayayaya no more film) I don't feel bad about taking multiple pictures of everything. I can sort it out later no problemo.

If you are shooting a relatively static subject, I feel like shooting a ton is a bit of a crutch. You aren't really wasting anything other than culling time, but I feel like I've gotten a better eye by actively trying to shoot less. If you are shooting a ton and then picking out the best one that is just partially using luck. So when you try and take photos down the road you are continually relying on luck to get the best photo of a set instead of actively thinking more about composition, angles, DOF, etc.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »

If you are shooting a relatively static subject, I feel like shooting a ton is a bit of a crutch. You aren't really wasting anything other than culling time, but I feel like I've gotten a better eye by actively trying to shoot less. If you are shooting a ton and then picking out the best one that is just partially using luck. So when you try and take photos down the road you are continually relying on luck to get the best photo of a set instead of actively thinking more about composition, angles, DOF, etc.
    That is true, which is why I am a newbie and you are miles ahead of me with regard to skill, technical knowledge and artistic vision. All I got is the realization that something is worthy of a picture and I am slowly learning about all the things that come naturally to you (and I often forget stuff I should have learned by now).

• Options
    edited September 2012
    I don't mean to get down on you. All I'm trying to say is you should strive for shooting less and thinking more. Even if it does take you more shots to get something right, when you go through the photos in post you should look at the settings, angle, composition you used on your best photo of a set. Then try and think about why those worked well compared to the other photos and then store that info in your mental repertoire for later use.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    not filling up memory cards is what my film camera is for. When each shot costs me ~$1.00, I'm a little more careful about my metering.

My problem is that in order to have a second-nature understanding of what my manual settings need to be for a certain time of day / subject / etc. I need to have taken a whole lot of pictures.

• Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    I wish I could say I don't shoot a shitload of photos. Unfortunately that'd be a lie. I find myself tweaking the angle at which I shoot constantly to adjust the composition. In the photos below I shot half a dozen similar photos just trying to get the right mix of mountain, lake and rectangular rock.

This shot frustrated me to no end. I spent about 2 hours shooting either this shot or a couple others while reading/eating on the shore. I was able to get a good reflection, interesting light on the peak or interesting light on the clouds but never in the same photo.
    8016953116_dd426aea41_c.jpg

sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    7934554520_31c120bfbe.jpg
    Urban Jumble by hazmato, on Flickr

Shot from around this time last year in Korea; I think this could probably be re-cropped to highlight some of the foreground detail, but I love the way the stack of buildings just goes up.. and up.. and up.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Clicking the "order now" button on this cart soon, hopefully by the end of the week.

E6Ucb.jpg

Only things not listed here are the case that I mentioned in a previous post which should be arriving in a few days, and I'm undecided on a soft release and a thumb grip.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Is that a digital rangefinder? It doesn't look like the viewfinder is hooked up to anything and the amazon reviews seem to say that there is absolutely no information displayed there and you can't focus from there.

• Options
    Is that a digital rangefinder? It doesn't look like the viewfinder is hooked up to anything and the amazon reviews seem to say that there is absolutely no information displayed there and you can't focus from there.

Nope, not digital.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited September 2012

Nope, not digital.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rangefinder_camera IE the viewfinder is in no way attached to the lens so you can't see changes in focus or anything else. Even when you zoom in you don't see anything zoomed in the viewfinder.

It certainly looks like a digital camera. :P

CommunistCow on
  • Options

Nope, not digital.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rangefinder_camera IE the viewfinder is in no way attached to the lens so you can't see changes in focus or anything else. Even when you zoom in you don't see anything zoomed in the viewfinder.

It certainly looks like a digital camera. :P

Right...you asked if it was a digital rangefinder and I said nope, not digital...

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    So you were just being pedantic and you actually understood my question?

• Options
    I'm so confused.

You asked:
    Is that a digital rangefinder?

I answered:
    Nope, not digital.

There's no alterior motive here. I answered your question, but you continued explaining as if I hadn't.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Sorry for the confusion, but in my mind "Nope, not digital" would imply that it is a film camera and not a digital camera. So your answer made no sense to me since it is obviously a digital camera. I'm guessing you thought I meant to use digital as a modifier describing the viewfinder, but in my mind that also makes no sense because rangefinder describes the type of viewfinder that is not getting an image through the lens.

Anyways moving on...

• Options
    I guess the x100 would confuse you even more Cow :p

• Options
    edited September 2012
    removed.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    Knight Of AwesomeKnight Of Awesome Registered User regular
    I took this photo with a Canon 450D I borrowed. Now I want to get an old film SLR for terrestrial and astrophotography purposes.
    7965650924_3d9c623748_c.jpg

lastfm_red_small.gif 4jGb8.jpg
  • Options
    Any recommendations on memory cards in brand or capacity?

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Did a pretty awesome hat trick of backpacking over the last three weeks. The Narrows in Zion NP, Royce Lakes in the Sierra NF and now I spent a night up on the summit of Mount Whitney in Sequoia NP. Mount Whitney is the highest point in the lower 48. Here's sunrise from just below the summit:
    8041613006_084077c2c8_c.jpg
    My friend, who hauled up his 5D MKII, tripod and filters probably got a better shot but then again it almost totally gassed him.

sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    Any recommendations on memory cards in brand or capacity?

I would just check amazon/newegg reviews. All I can say is I've had both Scandisk and Kingston cards and my Kingston card had lots of issues.

@Gafoto Unless you guys were shooting before sunrise why would your friend need a tripod? Or were you guys doing waterfall/stream pictures at some point?

• Options
    vn0G3.jpg

Ordered.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    So I'm looking to get educated on a bunch of tech stuff, since I have a bottomless desire to be smarter than my gear.

IR lenses: what exactly do they do to an image?

I'm familiar with the idea of sensors modified to remove the IR filter, and typical screw-on type selective pass filters. I understand that IR and visible light move differently through lenses and prisms, so the focal plane may not be aligned as expected when you're shooting for IR. What I don't understand is what exactly an "IR" lens means. Is this lens coated to make the IR focus point the same as visible light? Can such a lens only be used with an IR-modded sensor?

Image Stabilization. My GF2 has no in-body stabilization, so I'd need to find to stabilized lenses to take advantage of it. My question is, why don't all lenses do this? It seems to only be common in zooms; is the OIS compensation for smaller apertures, which necessitate slower shutters?

Exposure compensation in video: How is this commonly handled in DSLRs?

• Options
    edited October 2012
    @Gafoto Unless you guys were shooting before sunrise why would your friend need a tripod? Or were you guys doing waterfall/stream pictures at some point?

He shoots at a tiny aperture with GNDs. He's extremely anal about the sharpness of his photos too. I'm obviously a little more of a casual photographer. I <3 IS.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    So I'm looking to get educated on a bunch of tech stuff, since I have a bottomless desire to be smarter than my gear.

IR lenses: what exactly do they do to an image?

I'm familiar with the idea of sensors modified to remove the IR filter, and typical screw-on type selective pass filters. I understand that IR and visible light move differently through lenses and prisms, so the focal plane may not be aligned as expected when you're shooting for IR. What I don't understand is what exactly an "IR" lens means. Is this lens coated to make the IR focus point the same as visible light? Can such a lens only be used with an IR-modded sensor?

I've never heard of them until now and what I gather from a few seconds of googling is some lenses have hot spots in places when shooting IR and others don't. So I think it would be more accurate to say that all lenses work for IR, but some just work better than others. If you want to do IR photography you either need to have a camera that you've ripped the IR filter off the sensor or you need to shoot IR film.
    Image Stabilization. My GF2 has no in-body stabilization, so I'd need to find to stabilized lenses to take advantage of it. My question is, why don't all lenses do this? It seems to only be common in zooms; is the OIS compensation for smaller apertures, which necessitate slower shutters?

IS/VR is just another feature and it adds to the cost of producing lenses. There are at least a few more IS/VR lenses on the cheaper side. So my guess is they want to make some lenses cheaper than others and thus no-IS/VR.
    Exposure compensation in video: How is this commonly handled in DSLRs?

No idea on this one; I don't do video.

• Options
    Gafoto wrote: »

He shoots at a tiny aperture with GNDs. He's extremely anal about the sharpness of his photos too. I'm obviously a little more of a casual photographer. I <3 IS.

I figure shooting at f/11 or so even with a GND would be sharp enough, but I'm not much of a nature photographer so I'm probably wrong. Have you really noticed any big differences between his photos and yours in terms of sharpness? Does he do anything with them like make super large prints where it would be noticeable?

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I don't have a high quality camera - though I do want one at some point - so instead I've been playing with my new iPhone and some of its photography apps. I just like going for walks and easily snapping pictures at anything that interests me. I'm having fun. I thought I'd share a few of the ones I took this morning.

First up is an early morning panorama. I was playing around with AutoStitch and a few filters and enjoyed the colors.

jbb1WZjvMUl8JH.jpg

And then I took a picture of our little outside Fall figure.

jboswrKCC7idus.jpg

Edit: I took some more pictures and uploaded them to Instagram, which I feel lowers the image quality a little bit but I think they still turned out okay.

18b6a6f80f0311e282fd22000a1e8a9e_7.jpg

And then I entered the leaf phase of photography:

67111e260f0f11e2807c22000a1fba57_7.jpg

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    http://gizmodo.com/5950207/the-way-kids-used-machines-100-years-ago-is-shocking-compared-to-today?post=53364444

Is it terrible that the only thing I got out of this article was that people banging silver-nitrate rocks together in the dark (that's how you took pictures in 1911 right) could take better pictures than me

• Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular

IS/VR is just another feature and it adds to the cost of producing lenses. There are at least a few more IS/VR lenses on the cheaper side. So my guess is they want to make some lenses cheaper than others and thus no-IS/VR.

IIRC IS/VR also doesnt work too well on shorter focal lengths, so its mostly long-mid to tele lenses have it, where the system really shines.

In other news I finally figured out an easy way to quickly digitize my 35mm film. Now I gotta find one for my 120mm stuff.

8073432539_4d08f307e0_z.jpg
    Untitled by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

• Options
    KrubixCubeKrubixCube JapanRegistered User regular
    Man food is hard to photograph. You got a few successful ones in there though, the first one especially.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Gafoto wrote: »

I figure shooting at f/11 or so even with a GND would be sharp enough, but I'm not much of a nature photographer so I'm probably wrong. Have you really noticed any big differences between his photos and yours in terms of sharpness? Does he do anything with them like make super large prints where it would be noticeable?

He's printing up to 40x60. My camera is fairly decent in terms of how sharp it shoots but then again I'm not printing anything that size. I had a few 8x12s run off and they look fantastic though.

sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    Went to the Mist of Pandaria WoW launch in Irvine CA. Here's someone looking like a panda

tumblr_mbhsdcnKZ11rftw5vo1_1280.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2012
    muninn wrote: »

IIRC IS/VR also doesnt work too well on shorter focal lengths, so its mostly long-mid to tele lenses have it, where the system really shines.

This too. I've heard that on things like the 70-200 IS you get about an extra 2 maybe 3 stops of focus ability with IS but on something like the 18-55 IS you get about 1 stop.
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    http://gizmodo.com/5950207/the-way-kids-used-machines-100-years-ago-is-shocking-compared-to-today?post=53364444

Is it terrible that the only thing I got out of this article was that people banging silver-nitrate rocks together in the dark (that's how you took pictures in 1911 right) could take better pictures than me

Those are some pretty good pictures. I think the other take away is kids are lazy these days and they should be contributing to household income. Their tiny hands are like unused gold mines!

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    Found a set of photos I took about 3/4 years ago that I never processed. All from a concert and shot on a rebel. Pretty neat to go back and see what I did. It was like past me and future me working together. I like a bunch, but here is one I have hosted on tumblr.

tumblr_mbqy3ytMyT1rftw5vo1_500.jpg

• Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    PHOTODUMP! :D

_MG_5337.jpg
    _MG_5323.jpg
    _MG_6438.jpg
    _MG_6280.jpg
    _MG_6556.jpg
    3322c5w.jpg
    55lbsw.jpg
    20axlco.jpg
    19rryo.jpg
    IMG_4679_Creek_County_Fire_080412%2528hero%2529.jpg

Sorry if that was too many for one post. Let me know what you masters of photography think.

• Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    Here are a few more for you....

IMG_4257_creek_county_fire_080312.jpg
    IMG_4310_creek_county_fire_080312.jpg
    IMG_4313_creek_county_fire_080312.jpg
    IMG_4339_creek_county_fire_080312.jpg
    IMG_4579_Creek_County_Fire_080412.jpg
    IMG_4381_creek_county_fire_080312.jpg
    IMG_4346_creek_county_fire_080312.jpg
    IMG_4417_creek_county_fire_080312.jpg
    IMG_4021_fire_080212.jpgIMG_4263_creek_county_fire_080312.jpg
    IMG_4149_creek_county_fire_080312.jpg
    fu2geq.png
    34jc1mx.png
    5etr2f.png
    b821bp.png
    2pr5wgi.png
    207upeb.png
    tumblr_m6zxy5luiq1rahkxfo1_1280.png

Okay, I'm done fore now.

• Options
    Well I may have been drunk when I was trying to play photog at Oktoberfest but I still managed to get some so-so shots while there and here they are!
    (Note: this post is best viewed while listening to this: http://youtu.be/kX1nJVvaSZ4 )

_MG_6668.jpg
    _MG_6677b.jpg_MG_6689.jpg
    _MG_6773.jpg
    _MG_6821.jpg
    _MG_6841.jpg_MG_7172.jpg
    _MG_6894.jpg
    _MG_6958.jpg_MG_6945.jpg
    _MG_6960bw.jpg
    _MG_6963.jpg
    _MG_6964.jpg
    _MG_6982.jpg
    _MG_6988.jpg_MG_6990.jpg
    _MG_6992.jpg
    _MG_7000.jpg_MG_7003.jpg
    _MG_7012.jpg
    _MG_7044.jpg
    _MG_7049.jpg
    _MG_7048.jpg
    _MG_7049.jpg
    _MG_7080crop.jpg_MG_7047.jpg
    _MG_7053.jpg
    _MG_7080.jpg
    _MG_7110.jpg
    _MG_7178.jpg_MG_7277bw.jpg
    _MG_7187.jpg
    _MG_7189.jpg
    _MG_7190.jpg
    _MG_7291.jpg
    _MG_7323.jpg
    _MG_7391.jpg
    _MG_7424.jpg_MG_7425.jpg
    _MG_7335.jpg

There we go! The day light pictures were taken with 1/2 of a pitcher of beer. The rest were with another half and some more of beer in me. So much so that I forgot to use my speed light and a lot of photos blurred as I got wobbly. I finally gave up and went on to party the last 4 hours I was there. The guys in the sombrero are from Munich. They said our Oktoberfest was the best they had ever been to outside of Munich and was better than many of the ones in Germany! :D

(Cross posted from the SE++ thread.)

This discussion has been closed.