As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Week o Games, 4/18: Monster Hunter Tri, Breath of Death VII is Available NOW (XBLIG)

13»

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Any plans of bring BoD to the PSN/WiiWare/Steam/whatever?

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Zython wrote: »

It was asked somewhere (maybe this thread), but basically no.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Loving the game, Rainbow and Slash -- I'm a big RGC fan, so I was pretty sure I'd love it even before, but its a cool blend of old and new. What's the main difference between normal and hard, btw? I'm midway through the first real dungeon, but wondering if I should move to hard, as it's quite easy so far. At 80 points this is thte deal of the century. :D

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hey, guys! We're on the front page of Destructoid! Our first article on a big site!

http://www.destructoid.com/breath-of-death-vii-seems-an-amusing-novelty-171844.phtml
    Lunker wrote: »
    Loving the game, Rainbow and Slash -- I'm a big RGC fan, so I was pretty sure I'd love it even before, but its a cool blend of old and new. What's the main difference between normal and hard, btw? I'm midway through the first real dungeon, but wondering if I should move to hard, as it's quite easy so far. At 80 points this is thte deal of the century. :D

Two differences. In Hard, enemy HP, Strength, and Magic all get a 25% boost. Also, in hard, you regain less MP after winning battles.

Hard:

1 round = 6 MP restored
    2 round = 3 MP restored
    3 round = 2 MP restored
    More than that = 1 MP restored

Easy:

Starts at 6MP and goes down by 1 with each additional round.

Personally, I'd recommend playing the game through its entirety on Normal mode first since the game does get harder later on. Hard is really designed for second playthroughs when you have a better idea of enemy stats, map layouts, what kind of LV-Ups are the best, etc.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    GibbsGibbs Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ok, now I'm excited. I've got the day off and plenty to do. Fortunately, I think a new 8-bit-ish RPG comes before responsibilities.

Gibbs on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I've got a bad case of lovin' you.
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    BoD bought'd!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    GibbsGibbs Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ok, my extremely early review:

I flippin' love this game. I've been wanting a new, good RPG for so fricken long and this is exactly what I wanted. I'm so picky when it comes to RPGs that I generally just tell people I don't like them because otherwise they'll start asking which Final Fantasy is my favorite.

Anyway....
    Extremely minor spoilers ahead!
    I'm really digging the combo system. It makes me actually think about these little fights. (Now, how can I kill this Lizardman in one blow...) I find it funny that I didn't know the perk to multi-hit moves until right after I chose Fireball over Fire Flurry. Nice timing on that one.

I did notice a typo in the second fight. Built should be Build.

I do agree with what was said about the overworld map looking a little busy. Lots o' mountains and trees everywhere. Makes me glad whenever I see that little patch of green to walk in.

I love the fight anywhere option. Oh and the humor is great. I'm bound to not catch several of the references but I still laughed out loud the first time I had Dem and Sara chat. (Ok, a Zelda reference and a Resident Evil reference within 30 seconds of each other is awesome.)

After about 3 fights the victory music grew on me. I like it, even though it initially seemed a little out of place.

This game is definitely a grade A.

If this is the kind of quality you two can put out together, I'm already looking forward to your next game. I would be awesome if the sales you get from BoD could justify the two of you creating several RPGs. And I'm not even asking for a line of Breath of Death. I just dream of the day where I can actually look forward to a developer's next RPG again.

Gibbs on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I've got a bad case of lovin' you.
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    slash000 wrote: »
    I don't know the details exactly, but here's what I'm pretty sure of: Your game starts to sell. Then every quarter of the year, MS tallies up the sales. MS takes 30% of the sales revenue. The rest goes to the developer. I believe they just send a check, but I'm not sure on that.

Only 30%?

Wow, that's lower then I thought it would be.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Pata wrote: »
    I don't know the details exactly, but here's what I'm pretty sure of: Your game starts to sell. Then every quarter of the year, MS tallies up the sales. MS takes 30% of the sales revenue. The rest goes to the developer. I believe they just send a check, but I'm not sure on that.

Only 30%?

No they don't send checks, I had to set-up direct deposit/wire transfer (this could be for non-us thought). Go to the buisness section of the creators site and fill up your info.

And yes 30% is good, the payment has always gone through and they sent me all my tax info properly too. Microsoft's buisness side is pretty solid it seems.

Handkor on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Handkor wrote: »

Only 30%?

No they don't send checks, I had to set-up direct deposit/wire transfer (this could be for non-us thought). Go to the buisness section of the creators site and fill up your info.

And yes 30% is good, the payment has always gone through and they sent me all my tax info properly too. Microsoft's buisness side is pretty solid it seems.

OK, I wasn't sure on the check thing since I've never recieved payment from MS before. Direct-Deposit makes a heck of a lot more sense.

I find 30% fair. I don't know what the average is between PSN/Mini/WiiWare/DSiWare/XBLA though.

I will say that 30% is very fair considering the relatively low cost barrier to entry. They give you all this stuff for a $99 membership, and then they host and distribute your game on the service. Can't complain too much when they ask for 30%.

slash000 on
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Handkor wrote: »

Only 30%?

OK, I wasn't sure on the check thing since I've never recieved payment from MS before. Direct-Deposit makes a heck of a lot more sense.

I find 30% fair. I don't know what the average is between PSN/Mini/WiiWare/DSiWare/XBLA though.

I will say that 30% is very fair considering the relatively low cost barrier to entry. They give you all this stuff for a $99 membership, and then they host and distribute your game on the service. Can't complain too much when they ask for 30%.

I'll be picking up BoD VII tonight :)

Will you be releasing your sales info? I'd be really interested in seeing how well it does. (hopefully really well)

solsovly on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yah, this is amazing so far. I found the combat to easy until I got to the second town, and found the second "treasure dungeon" (the dungeons scattered around that aren't part of the story).. The ogres in there kicked the ever living crap out of me.

The retro RPG feel of the game is great, but I really love how you kept some modern trappings in: After battle regen and the run button being the specific modern RPG trappings that I appreciated. I also like the way that every area has a battles count, and once you reach 'None!' you no longer hit random encounters, but can still fight if you choose. Makes exploring a large dungeon MUCH less tedious.

I think the graphics are also good for what they are. My only issue there is that the "treasure dungeon" tile set "flickers" on my LCDTV. As you move around, the basic floor tiles shift between white and gray details based on whether I am moving or not. Only that tileset displays the issue.

The biggest surprise to me, honestly, was the quality of the music. Other than the battle victory theme, all the music has been absolutely top notch. It fits the theme, the setting, and the meta-goal of being retro. Great, great music choices.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Gibbs wrote: »
    Ok, my extremely early review:

I flippin' love this game. I've been wanting a new, good RPG for so fricken long and this is exactly what I wanted. I'm so picky when it comes to RPGs that I generally just tell people I don't like them because otherwise they'll start asking which Final Fantasy is my favorite.

Anyway....
    Extremely minor spoilers ahead!
    I'm really digging the combo system. It makes me actually think about these little fights. (Now, how can I kill this Lizardman in one blow...) I find it funny that I didn't know the perk to multi-hit moves until right after I chose Fireball over Fire Flurry. Nice timing on that one.

I did notice a typo in the second fight. Built should be Build.

I do agree with what was said about the overworld map looking a little busy. Lots o' mountains and trees everywhere. Makes me glad whenever I see that little patch of green to walk in.

I love the fight anywhere option. Oh and the humor is great. I'm bound to not catch several of the references but I still laughed out loud the first time I had Dem and Sara chat. (Ok, a Zelda reference and a Resident Evil reference within 30 seconds of each other is awesome.)

After about 3 fights the victory music grew on me. I like it, even though it initially seemed a little out of place.

This game is definitely a grade A.

If this is the kind of quality you two can put out together, I'm already looking forward to your next game. I would be awesome if the sales you get from BoD could justify the two of you creating several RPGs. And I'm not even asking for a line of Breath of Death. I just dream of the day where I can actually look forward to a developer's next RPG again.

Thanks for the kind words! I just fixed that typo you found so it'll be fixed whenever we post a new version of the game. That bit of text was one of the last things we added (since some of the playtesters were missing the point of the combo system) so I guess I forgot to doublecheck it.

We're definitely planning on making some more RPGs. With any luck, Breath of Death VII will sell well enough that I can make games full time instead of just part time. We already have some preliminary ideas for our next few games and I think people will be very pleased when we announce them.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Just finished the Graveyard of BoD and it's well nifty. I'll have to go back through it again though as my dungeon instincts failed me and I picked the fastest path through at every junction, no doubt missing piles of loot on the way.

I reckon you could have quite a sizeable hit on your hands here.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bought this, tried it this morning, here's my input.

Graphics: It's 8bit hence I wasn't surprised to find everything as 8bit. The sprites look good though and look like what you expect them to represent. Overall it feels like I'm playing a classic DW game which is good.
    One thing I didn't like are the character portraits, they seem lacking somehow and too hand drawn. Almost like they're missing the finish professional illustrations have.

Music: The music is good, not something I'm going to stick on an MP3 player but it fits the game well without looping too often or being annoying. It's actually better than some of the music larger studios have put out.

Gameplay: I've just reached the savepoint in the graveyard on normal so things are still easy but I like the innovative ideas put forth. The combo system is interesting and works well and the recharge system is also very convenient. Branching level-up paths is an interesting concept that I'm liking as well. I also like the reputation idea.
    I'm not fond of inventory management but on the other hand there isn't much of an inventory to manage so I can see why you did it this way.
    Keeping track of who is attacking when is sometimes confusing as well and makes it hard to track HP sometimes. This doesn't harm the game overall since there are breaks in between rounds but it is confusing when the round flies by. For instance, I used firestorm one battle and had trouble confirming that it actually hit everything. Attack animations might help this.

Story: So far the story is a bit above standard fare for an 8bit RPG. I'm not expecting it to be revolutionary as that's part of the 8 bit charm after all.
    To be honest though, the dialog bugs me. Several of the jokes aren't funny and seem forced almost. This might be a clash of humour preference vs style, I don't know. It might also be because I've only played a bit of the game so far. I'm also a bit confused at what's happening right now as the dialog from our 2nd party member explaining it kind of blew past me.

Overall?

Pretty good, especially for the value. I wouldn't go so far to say it's better than the latest installment of a popular game because if it was selling $60 I wouldn't buy it. This doesn't make it a bad game in any sense, you are two guys who promised a parody 8 bit RPG and delivered just that.

Sipex on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I don't think anyone would pay $60 dollars for a six hour long, retro style 2D RPG. That doesn't mean the gameplay itself isn't awesome. I am enjoying it far, far, FAR more than I did FF13, which I did pay $60 bucks for, and haven't played in weeks.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    UbuRoiAAUbuRoiAA Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm buying this as soon as I get home. Screw Dragon Age and my stupid dwarf with a shield!

UbuRoiAA on
  • Options
    nessinnessin Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    To show support for the crew I'll be buying it when I get home, even though I don't have an XBox 360 anymore. Maybe I'll be able to borrow one from a friend. Either way I'll shell out a buck to support people who make excellent indie games, let alone excellent indie games I'd love to play.

nessin on
  • Options
    UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'll definitely be falling off the wagon of the backlog challenge to pick BoD VII up this weekend. I've been eagerly anticipating if for a while ... I love parodies, and I love old school RPGs, so it sounds like it is right up my alley. It is also nice to support fellow PAers :)

UreshiiAkuma on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Zython wrote: »

It was asked somewhere (maybe this thread), but basically no.

:(

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well Xbox is the only one to even have a dedicated Indie games system, though WiiWare might also work.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Putting it on any other console would require them to shell out for a devkit for said console, so there's no way that's going to happen unless they get rich from BoD and can afford the thousands of dollars it costs for devkits.

Opty on