As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New comic for Tuesday April 20, 2010

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    Wimble wrote: »
    I think any creative endeavour results in art

what meaningful art is however, I make up my mind about on a case by case basis after having explored it

this is the only sensible way to look at it, i feel

categorical taxonomy of art aint' getting anyone anywhere

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Blaket wrote: »
    Can I ask the opposite question?

What isn't art?

Because at the end of the day everyone can argue that something is art and more often that not it is more, what worth does it have as art?

Is there anything that can clearly classified as not art?

your face

L|ama on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    man I said that like a hundred years ago wimble

droppin' my old ass truth bombs like they fresh out yo' b-52

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Doctor LivingstoneDoctor Livingstone Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    In order correctly to define art, it is necessary, first of all, to cease to consider it as a means to pleasure and to consider it as one of the conditions of human life. Viewing it in this way we cannot fail to observe that art is one of the means of intercourse between man and man. Art is a human activity consisting in this, that one man consciously, by means of certain external signs, hands on to others feelings he has lived through, and that other people are infected by these feelings and also experience them.

Doctor Livingstone on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I would definitely say that pure mathematics is a creative endeavour, but I wouldn't call it art
    intercourse between man and man

oh come on someone else was going to do it anyway

L|ama on
  • Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    hey I just thought of a phrase

something about truth bombs and fresh b-52 yo-yos wait can you repeat that

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i think we have to perceive art as an attainable state of being for the very best products of creativity, or we wouldn't be motivated to work on making our output as good as it could be at all. i wouldn't anyway.

really art is more like a design philosophy

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    bsjezz wrote: »
    you took my second, concessionary point about how the things it's trying to say are said poorly and turned that into my primary argument. it's not. my primary argument is that whatever it's saying is put aside and made virtually redundant by focusing the viewer/reader/audience's experience on repeatedly solving mechanical puzzles. the puzzles themselves are really traditional video-game puzzles, not subversionist at all. it's like echochrome. there's a new bent, sure, but all games need new bents to make them new games

i could probably concede that braid is bad art, if that would make you feel better. but i really think creating art is about having all elements work into a gestalt, and i don't see how that happens with braid. it's a quirky puzzle game and as a puzzle game it would have been more pointed and satisfying if all those counterproductive layers of framing context were shed

not no more to add, nothing left to take away etc. etc.

Well, based on Speed's description, it sounds like the puzzles are intentionally traditional at the beginning to ground the subversion that takes place over the course of the game, and by your own admission you haven't finished it, so, I dunno.

I still think it's more important that you're pinning the status of art on the success of the effort rather than the effort itself. I think this invests an unreasonable amount of responsibility in the audience over the artist.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    man I said that like a hundred years ago wimble

droppin' my old ass truth bombs like they fresh out yo' b-52

I think it's also more or less where my intuition is going when I say "If you really have to ask, then the answer is yes."

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    more important than defining whether something is or isn't art

i think it's important to stop declaring that things like say, video games aren't art, as a way of shitting on them.

which is what Ebert has been doing for years out of ignorance about the nature of the vidya games

whether video games are art or not is obviously debatable, and is probably best judged on a game-by-game basis

but let's not confuse what Ebert and other fellows like him are really doing here: shitting on video games as a medium. by conclusively saying "video games are not art" Ebert's trying to silence all debate on the subject and relegate video games to some kind of childish "art-ghetto"

hilariously enough, Ebert's a huge proponent of animated film as art and the idea that animation shouldn't belong in some "cartoons are for kids" box.

yet he is doing the same thing to video games

this is nonsense

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    i think we have to perceive art as an attainable state of being for the very best products of creativity, or we wouldn't be motivated to work on making our output as good as it could be at all. i wouldn't anyway.

All art is quite useless.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Can I ask the opposite question?

What isn't art?

Because at the end of the day everyone can argue that something is art and more often that not it is more, what worth does it have as art?

Is there anything that can clearly classified as not art?

Nature.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    For me personally that would be the first thing I would classify as art.

Blake T on
  • Options
    RinderRinder Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Annie's ability to play devil's advocate is an art form.

Rinder on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

then the word 'art' is useless and we should redefine it.

i've been thinking about this today. whatever ebert thinks, whatever i or you guys think, videogames will be accepted as a new art and increasingly it will be an important one; maybe moreso than film and literature.

but 'art' means different things in different places. i work off a literary definition because i know literature. you guys, orikae maybe, might use a broad sociological one; others might use a very specific one that's more akin to what we see as 'visual art'. ie. representative imagery on a page, canvas or wall. lots of spheres have lots of uses of the word art.

if we are to truly say, 'this game is art', we need to decide what that means. it becomes an ethical question almost: what should the best videogames be doing? what is it right to value in creating them? where does this interactive medium need to move?

i do not accept 'art is everything' or 'art is nothing'. if that's the case then it's time to reclaim the word. the good news is it's our job to reclaim it; at the forefront of this medium, who else is having this discussion? not a lot of people. not to this extent. if we were to forget our horn-locking selves for a bit and agree on what videogames need to do to be held high, to advance the medium, to communicate perfectly and challenge implicitly, and understand that we can define that as the art of videogames... well, we never could, i suppose. maybe it could never happen. but if there was a verifiable 'art' to aspire to i think we'd see it a lot more often

edit: christ i'm still at work. i'm supposed to be doing the money

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    To be honest I kind of prefer to think of art as any manufactured object that provokes a strong feeling of deliberate meaning, rather than a category. That art is almost more that feeling than it is a complex abstract concept. It's been working okay for me so far I think.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    For me personally that would be the first thing I would classify as art.

Nature is the furthest from art you will ever come. Art is the result of a concious creative effort. In its essence, it is giving new form to natural materials.

Why do you think of nature as art?

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If 100 artists working for 5 years means that their final product is art then that means because I worked with 500 other artists for 6 months on this-
    alvin-and-the-chipmunks-the-squeakquel.jpg
    Is also art.

Yes artists worked on it, I was one of them.

Yes artistic skill was involved in making it.

Is the final product art though?

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sure. Art doesn't mean it's good art. And the Squeakquel had nude female chipmunks in it, which those downtown art galleries would consider art of a sort.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If 100 artists working for 5 years means that their final product is art then that means because I worked with 500 other artists for 6 months on this-
    Is also art.

It is art, that just doesn't mean it's good art.

Brolo on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The whole art debate is super subjective. I think Ebert is completely wrong, however, on the grounds that he clearly has no idea what video games even are and has no desire to find out. This was touched on earlier in the thread but he pigeon-holes games into a narrow definition that doesn't fit the vast majority of modern games. He is just almost entirely ignorant on the matter and is content to stay that way.

I do think heavy rain was art. I got heavily emotionally invested in it, which I believe is an important aspect.

He is right though that there aren't really any games that can be compared to the old masters of various other art forms. But I am going to go ahead and use the argument that video games are, at most, 40 years old. All of those other art forms had to grow quite a bit before the masterworks showed up.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Sure. Art doesn't mean it's good art. And the Squeakquel had nude female chipmunks in it, which those downtown art galleries would consider art of a sort.

Don't god damn remind me.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Is also art.

A calculated product lacking originality. Call it art if you want. Doesn't make it any better.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Rolo wrote: »
    Is also art.

For some reason I never think that way. Don't know why. I don't think I'm an art snob, but maybe I am. I guess I have an internal threshold of quality something has to cross.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010

then the word 'art' is useless and we should redefine it.

i've been thinking about this today. whatever ebert thinks, whatever i or you guys think, videogames will be accepted as a new art and increasingly it will be an important one; maybe moreso than film and literature.

but 'art' means different things in different places. i work off a literary definition because i know literature. you guys, orikae maybe, might use a broad sociological one; others might use a very specific one that's more akin to what we see as 'visual art'. ie. representative imagery on a page, canvas or wall. lots of spheres have lots of uses of the word art.

if we are to truly say, 'this game is art', we need to decide what that means. it becomes an ethical question almost: what should the best videogames be doing? what is it right to value in creating them? where does this interactive medium need to move?

i do not accept 'art is everything' or 'art is nothing'. if that's the case then it's time to reclaim the word. the good news is it's our job to reclaim it; at the forefront of this medium, who else is having this discussion? not a lot of people. not to this extent. if we were to forget our horn-locking selves for a bit and agree on what videogames need to do to be held high, to advance the medium, to communicate perfectly and challenge implicitly, and understand that we can define that as the art of videogames... well, we never could, i suppose. maybe it could never happen. but if there was a verifiable 'art' to aspire to i think we'd see it a lot more often

If you know literature, then you should know why my quote rejects your premises before your argument.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    frankly i don't know what you're talking about

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

The film had a bland enough storyline that, while screening it, that's really the only thing that stood out. Chipmunks breaking into synchronized song at any opportunity, slapstick pratfalls from a Home Alone movie. cartoonishly stereotypical sleazy agent guy, and then WHOA what is this you are doing here in a kids film why didn't they tumble out of the bag with shirts on?

SabreMau on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

The film had a bland enough storyline that, while screening it, that's really the only thing that stood out. Chipmunks breaking into synchronized song at any opportunity, slapstick pratfalls from a Home Alone movie. cartoonishly stereotypical sleazy agent guy, and then WHOA what is this you are doing here in a kids film why didn't they tumble out of the bag with shirts on?

And yet Jeanette had glasses already.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Oscar Wilde, art for art's sake, &c.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Is also art.

A calculated product lacking originality. Call it art if you want. Doesn't make it any better.

There is a such thing as just really bad art

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    edited April 2010

i understand

i never was much a wild fan of him (ahah hah) and even less so that philosophy. for me art is primarily message-bearing and revelatory; it exists to help us understand people and see the world better, in a way that plain language and direct imagery cannot.

or, i say, that's what art should be. in reality we can see the word has more or less been slaughtered. bring on a new one

superart

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think that computer games are art in multiple forms. Not just the writing of the story and dialogue, or the graphics, or the level design. Whilst the code the game is built with is an artform itself, the end-user experience is also art. And it is different for every player, much like every reader may take a different experience away from a classic poem.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Too many arts!

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Why is everybody talking about me so much today?

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Whoa
    I thought your name was Atreus

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

i understand

i never was much a wild fan of him (ahah hah) and even less so that philosophy. for me art is primarily message-bearing and revelatory; it exists to help us understand people and see the world better, in a way that plain language and direct imagery cannot.

or, i say, that's what art should be. in reality we can see the word has more or less been slaughtered. bring on a new one

superart
    i'm not sure why this has to be the definition of art, rather than one possible function of art.

but if you do need a specific term, it seems like 'high art' is pretty close to what you're talking about maybe?

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    A surprising number of people do. Which is kind of weird, especially since most people refer to me either as art or fartreus.

Artreus on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Rolo wrote: »
    Is also art.

For some reason I never think that way. Don't know why. I don't think I'm an art snob, but maybe I am. I guess I have an internal threshold of quality something has to cross.

So you're saying it's only art if it's good?

I guess I can see that.

sarukun on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Houk wrote: »

i understand

superart
    i'm not sure why this has to be the definition of art, rather than one possible function of art.

but if you do need a specific term, it seems like 'high art' is pretty close to what you're talking about maybe?

I've had the art argument about a million times. I stick by the old "art is a matter of perspective".

Which is just a fancy way of saying it's art if you think it is.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    for me art is primarily message-bearing and revelatory; it exists to help us understand people and see the world better, in a way that plain language and direct imagery cannot.

superart

I mean, I got this already. This is the art pussy I was talking about. I think where the artist's intent might be grossly subjective, the audience's appreciation is more so. I think the art is in the aspiration and the intent and not in the completion or the success. I don't think the word has been slaughtered. I think it adequately encompasses the base concept of art. I think if anything risks slaughtering a word, it is the subjective success you're insisting on.

And I don't think art for art's sake obviates the communication or revelation of art. It just lets the air out of the critical analysis of that revelatory experience.

Aneurhythmia on
This discussion has been closed.