As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

But then [Mass Effect] began to smell my greatness!

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Orca wrote: »
    Quick, someone convince me why I should get ME2 and not a pair of prescription sunglasses.

Prescription sunglasses don't include Mordin.

I never understood why there is no dialog option to even COMMENT on that singing. Its just like, oh hey, that was cool.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    what words are there?

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    -Tal wrote: »
    what words are there?

"Can I get an autograph?"

Orca on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That Shepard is terrible.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Reading that guy's writeup was illuminating.

So apparently I've been doing it wrong, missing every single shotgun damage upgrade, not charging around like a horny bull on meth, etc.

I may have to restart.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hearing people talk about pure Paragon runs, and pure Renegade runs has got me thinking, how do most of you like to play your Shepard's?

It seems to me a pure run would be annoying, because if you play pure Renegade, you end up being a needlessly cruel dick, and if you play pure Paragon, you end up being a naive spineless pussy.

I like to play my Shepard as a Paragade.

Ad astra on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ad astra wrote: »
    Hearing people talk about pure Paragon runs, and pure Renegade runs has got me thinking, how do most of you like to play your Shepard's?

It seems to me a pure run would be annoying, because if you play pure Renegade, you end up being a needlessly cruel dick, and if you play pure Paragon, you end up being a naive spineless pussy.

I play my Shepard as a Paragon in it for the lulz.

Orca on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I tend to play my Shepard as a mix, with the "off" alignment mostly coming from interrupts.

I'm sorry, but I don't care how much of a Renegade you are, if you let Tali cry without hugging her you're a bad person.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I tend to play my Shepard as a mix, with the "off" alignment mostly coming from interrupts.

I'm sorry, but I don't care how much of a Renegade you are, if you let Tali cry without hugging her you're a bad person.

No you're not. Do you know where she's been?

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

mostly Renegade, minus the human-first mentality and overall dickishness

at least to people I like anyway

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

It's not her fault what her fan-base has become, but she will pay for it anyway.

Orca on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Reading that guy's writeup was illuminating.

So apparently I've been doing it wrong, missing every single shotgun damage upgrade, not charging around like a horny bull on meth, etc.

I may have to restart.
    yeah, that'll do it

for what it's worth, the vanguard is my favorite class by far but I played my entire first run like you, just kind of sticking to cover and unloading Tempest magazines on people

it wasn't until the second go at it that I figured out how to handle the class

I know it's discomfiting to spend a lot of time out of cover at first, but if I can (eventually) take out a Geth Colossus one-on-one without cover on hardcore, it becomes clear that survivability isn't as big an issue as it would appear

make sure you do the N7 mission in the D____ system of the Pylos nebula ASAP; it should be your third damage protection upgrade and open up Hard Shields, majorly increasing your defense

the other protection upgrades don't show up until waaaay later, after you get booted out to a mission the second time

as trite as it is, though, your best defense is offense; charge in, shotgun someone's face, find the next person to shotgun, charge when you can to refill your shields, and hope they die before you

I actually don't spend much time looking for cover after a charge

Elendil on
  • Options
    Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Elendil wrote: »

mostly Renegade, minus the human-first mentality and overall dickishness

at least to people I like anyway

I like to think that my Shepard is tough, but fair, he's kinda like a John Wayne character in space.

Ad astra on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    as trite as it is, though, your best defense is offense; charge in, shotgun someone's face, find the next person to shotgun, charge when you can to refill your shields, and hope they die before you

Pretty much this.
    I actually don't spend much time looking for cover after a charge

I went straight from Normal Infiltrator to Insanity Vanguard (well, after an aborted and boring Insanity Sentinel), so I've gotten used to running for cover after killing a few people. It's pretty sweet when it all flows together though. On Hardcore I can charge into a group of 4 or 5 guys and vaporize all of them without taking any real damage these days. Getting a handle on the Krogun reload bug makes life a lot easier. And more abusive. It's also fun to run at a boss and just shotgun them to death without ducking for cover.

Orca on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, I assume insanity's going to be a little more stringent on the "look for cover thing"

I like hardcore, but I've had my fill of that difficulty

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, I assume insanity's going to be a little more stringent on the "look for cover thing"

I like hardcore, but I've had my fill of that difficulty

Yeah, same. I like hardcore. Insanity still feels too much like work, though I do enjoy the occasional end-run on Insanity.

Orca on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Pancake wrote: »
    Goddamnit Pancake. :evil:

What? It's the game's fault.

Do we need to stage an intervention?

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Goddamnit Pancake. :evil:

What? It's the game's fault.

Do we need to stage an intervention?

Quick, someone do a photoshop of that comic!

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    So I just spent Grunt's and Tali's loyalty missions playing vanguard "right".

It's definitely completely different. It also appears to be a damn good way to get yourself frakked.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

It's definitely completely different. It also appears to be a damn good way to get yourself frakked.

Vanguard is the definition of getting frakked.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Well charge is basically useless for Grunt's loyalty mission and Tali's tends to have a lot of swarming

otherwise, what shotgun are you using?
    what's your skill build?
    have you gotten the appropriate upgrades (biotic recharge, shotgun, and damage protection are the ones you'll want most)?

I wish I could see when exactly you were using charge and on whom, but that's a bit much

the best targets are

1. somewhat isolated
    2. in the rear (excepting situations where there's an influx of reinforcements)
    3. at least somewhat shielded (the knockback is kind of disadvantageous)

edit: you'll also want to keep on the ball with regard to cooldowns; chain your charges as often as possible, and try to keep your health from being whittled down overmuch, as it's your buffer

after a charge is a good time to micromanage your teammates powers too, and a well-timed throw or slam can save your ass if things get hairy

Elendil on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    charge is never useless, not even in Grunt's loyalty

i can headbutt those klixen all day

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    also

charge is SUPER useful on tali's loyalty

that one room just before the room where you hug her

charge them as soon as the door opens

melee, run through OH HEY CUTSCENE BATTLE OVER ALL GETH DISAPPEAR <3

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I really do love how often this thread changes titles

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    oh man

just did mordin recruitment as an adept on veteran

stripped a krogan of his armor

hit him with a pull

the fans caught him and he went sailing across the top of the giant room until he hit the wall on the opposite side

it was awesome :D

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Well.
    masseffect2201004232349.jpg

I'm still not happy with the face, but I soldiered on.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well.

The smugness

it is overwhelming

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    For some reason I've never liked that hairstyle.

The new title's a Grunt quote right? I know it's a Krogan one.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Volus quote.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well.

...8-)

<3

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    TomInKoreaTomInKorea Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Utsanomiko wrote: »
    Volus quote.

Volus crackhead quote, to be more accurate.

TomInKorea on
    92054393.jpg
  • Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Holy crap. Re: Garrus' loyalty:
    I just heard Emily Wong say Sidonis handed himself in for the murder of ten men. Too bad Omega doesn't have a government. I had no idea there was some kind of ulterior resolution to the paragon ending.

envoy1 on
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Choosing the Paragon in that situation just seems....wrong.

Also, the renegade interrupts are awesome. I don't think I've seen one I haven't liked yet. Garrus loyalty and Miranda loyalty interrupts are tied for greatest.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Docshifty wrote: »
    Choosing the Paragon in that situation just seems....wrong.

Also, the renegade interrupts are awesome. I don't think I've seen one I haven't liked yet. Garrus loyalty and Miranda loyalty interrupts are tied for greatest.

Miranda loyalty is the best.

Orca on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    All just snap.

I can't do a Paragon shep. I have thermal clips and people to shoot.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Well charge is basically useless for Grunt's loyalty mission and Tali's tends to have a lot of swarming

otherwise, what shotgun are you using?
    what's your skill build?
    have you gotten the appropriate upgrades (biotic recharge, shotgun, and damage protection are the ones you'll want most)?

I wish I could see when exactly you were using charge and on whom, but that's a bit much

the best targets are

1. somewhat isolated
    2. in the rear (excepting situations where there's an influx of reinforcements)
    3. at least somewhat shielded (the knockback is kind of disadvantageous)

edit: you'll also want to keep on the ball with regard to cooldowns; chain your charges as often as possible, and try to keep your health from being whittled down overmuch, as it's your buffer

after a charge is a good time to micromanage your teammates powers too, and a well-timed throw or slam can save your ass if things get hairy

Tali's you have to be careful and ready to withdraw to cover shortly after charging (and there is at least one fun area you can charge to where I don't think you're supposed to, as the area behind the door isn't marked as cover and the door isn't manually openable. But oh well). And watch the crossfire! There's several areas where either reinforcements come in in an overwatch position, or there's an inaccessible catwalk that provides hostile geth with a good covering position. Make sure you account for those before you start chargin', or the crossfire will tear you up even after you've eliminated everyone in front of you.

Grunt's it's still handy; just try to knock down one of the klixen pairs before charging in and taking the other. If you trash them fast enough, you can take them down 2 at a time and not get swarmed by the 4 that get dropped. Same goes for the varren, though at least those don't detonate on you. If you can drop one of their defenses, a concussive shot will knock it on its ass, you can set your teammates on it, while you take down the other one. Just keep track of what's going on around you. If you go Grunt + Kasumi, she can easily knock out anything that's had most of its defenses stripped.

Play around with the shotguns. I prefer the maximum instantaneous damage, eg the Eviscerator or the Krogun. Others prefer different ones. IIRC curly haired boy likes the Scimitar, which boasts the highest raw DPS, even if it has the lowest instant damage. Figure out what works for your style.

OptimusZed, where are you running into trouble? Not killing fast enough? Getting ripped apart after killing one or two dudes? What's going right and what's going wrong?

Orca on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Well.

...8-)

<3

Really, though, I don't get the hate for the goggles. I think they look goofy mostly on male Shepard. And cool people don't play male Shepard.
    masseffect2201004232331.jpg

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Well.

...8-)

<3

Really, though, I don't get the hate for the goggles. I think they look goofy mostly on male Shepard. And cool people don't play male Shepard.
    masseffect2201004232331.jpg
    9_movie_0909.jpg

Orca on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    They're stuck inside!

Man this reference gets creepier the more you think about it.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

I play 85% paragon and use a few renegade interrupts. Both ME1 and ME2 I've tried playing renegade for shits and giggles but it's mostly shit and no giggling. I'll do it, just to see the alternate dialogue, but I don't enjoy it.
    I know there are exceptions to this rule, like Enyala in boob-asari's loyalty quest, or even better Jacob's loyalty quest, but by and large I just don't enjoy space-dick shepard. Period.

envoy1 on