Options

Dwarf Fortress: Is that a legendary sock?

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Aquifers sound like way too much hassle for my lazy self, so I've avoided them like the plague. Why not just settle somewhere without one?

I've finally managed to keep a fortress running for more than a few seasons, up to 86 (was 88) dorfs now. I've even struck some adamantine, praise the miners! However, there seems to be a distinct lack of bad dudes. I've had a number of goblin ambushers, but nothing that's really tested my squad of legendary axedwarves. Although one has been laid up in hospital with a busted toe for a season or two now. I think euthanasia might be the only option at this point...

I'm 3 or 4 years in now, and have had all 3 layers of caves open for most of the last two, should I be expecting mega beasts imminently?

Campy on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Just had my first fun attack: a dragon killed by two axedwarves and a stray dog. I expected more!

Captain K on
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I humbly volunteer for dorfing. make me a carpenter or crafter or something boring and less lethal.

Depressperado on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    What task do I need to set in order to have this dragon corpse butchered?

Captain K on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hummm... hows this for a super weapon.

dig down a few levels, make a huge room. put some food stockpiles in it, and load them up, then remove the stockpile tiles. dig a route to the surface from this room, barred by a door.

Put all your cats in the room.
    seal it up.

When your invaded by a legendary beast, open the door leading to the surface. See how it likes hundreds of cats and kittens attacking it!

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    SulSeekerSulSeeker Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So this is where dorf Leader Buttcleft decided he'd stop our wagon... Somwehere between a desert and a forrest.

Nothing higher than an ant hill for miles... days.

/facepalm

So we get our assigned tasks...

Lots of mining and tree felling the first three months... and we cleared out most of the area for the farms... should have that finished by Mid summer. Waiting on a lever to be hooked up to the floodgate. Then the farmers can go nuts and I can work on mining out the rest of the home.

(Big List of dorfs)
    Assigned Neckbeards
    Saphier - Miner - Done
    SulSeeker - Miner - Done
    Buttcleft -Expidition Leader - Done
    WaveCutter - Woodworker - Done
    Lux782 - Stoneworker - Done
    EndlessInfinity - Farmer - Done

Unassigned Neckbeards
    Farmer Job

Awating Neckbeards
    Ilmmad - Hunter -
    SithDrummer - Miner -
    Art Vandelay - Architect -
    TheKoolEagle - Medical -
    Nosalt - Engraver -
    Juc - Soap maker -
    Firmus - Armory Dorf -
    Verdian - Captain Guard -
    Marken - Sword Dorf -
    MuddBudd - Butcher -
    Kris_xk - Dog Dorf? -
    Bliss101 - Cheese maker/Milker -
    Tiphareth - Female Soldier Dwarf -

SulSeeker on
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Captain K wrote: »
    What task do I need to set in order to have this dragon corpse butchered?

You need a Butcher's workshop and a dwarf with Butchering set. In addition, you may need for the corpse to be in a refuse stockpile; try designating a one-tile refuse stockpile directly under the corpse. If that doesn't do the trick, make another refuse stockpile near the butcher's shop and adjust the settings to forbid the Item Types and Body Parts categories (leaving just Corpses), then set it to take items from the stockpile under the dragon's corpse.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    MonarchMonarch Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Campy wrote: »
    Aquifers sound like way too much hassle for my lazy self, so I've avoided them like the plague. Why not just settle somewhere without one?

I like a challenge. I've had multiple 100+ dwarf forts and have only had two forts fail. I have a few patients awaiting water in the hospital as well. The water that I have is apparently salt water, but I am 98% finished with my wood wall/floor cistern/fishing hole.

For those that don't know, pumping salt water will desalinate the water into fresh water, as long as it is pumped into a constructed wall/floor area. If the water touches a natural rock/sand/etc wall/floor that has been dug out, it will turn back into salt water.

My embark spot is a volcano/mountain that is an island. Volcano Island yo.

Monarch on
    Hail to the king baby!
    I WILL CROWN YOU!

My computer use and advice blog:
    http://www.examiner.com/x-41452-Oklahoma-City-Computers-Examiner~topic715649-Computer-Use-and-Assistance
    View and comment please! Thanks!
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    SulSeeker wrote: »
    So this is where dorf Leader Buttcleft decided he'd stop our wagon... Somwehere between a desert and a forrest.

Nothing higher than an ant hill for miles... days.

/facepalm

So we get our assigned tasks...

Lots of mining and tree felling the first three months... and we cleared out most of the area for the farms... should have that finished by Mid summer. Waiting on a lever to be hooked up to the floodgate. Then the farmers can go nuts and I can work on mining out the rest of the home.-

Can I be dwarfed please? :)

Monarch - Weaponsmith/Armorsmith

Monarch on
    Hail to the king baby!
    I WILL CROWN YOU!

http://www.examiner.com/x-41452-Oklahoma-City-Computers-Examiner~topic715649-Computer-Use-and-Assistance
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ah, the horror!

The bustling community of Blazewaters, home to some 46 dwarfs and dwarfen children was subject to not 1 but 2 goblin ambushes at nearly the same time. One an ambush of axegoblins, the other of crossbow goblins.

Now only four dwarfs remain, one of which never left his bed as he had a previous injury from a Giant Olm. So three functional dwarfs are alive.
    The majority of the tamed animals were all cut down as well.

The blood covers nearly 7 levels of the Fortress.

I had a rather ill-equiped Squad that was cut down rather quickly. Looking at the reports, they were cut down by bolts mostly.

I suppose I should look into building better defenses next time, that was just a slaughter.

Selner on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Can I be dwarfed as that one dwarf (you know, that one) that refuses to stay inside during a siege when you got your defenses and traps all set up no matter what and gets killed, then other dwarves run out to get his corpse and then your population goes from 80 to 12

override367 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Every wiki article about coal says you find it in the sedimentary layer, but there's no more advice on where to look.

Where's the sedimentary layer?!

Captain K on
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Every wiki article about coal says you find it in the sedimentary layer, but there's no more advice on where to look.

Where's the sedimentary layer?!

are you playing the latest version K? honestly bituimous coal is urrrrrwhere

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    yeah but keep in mind I don't really know what I'm doing

I'm just digging a huge mine shaft now, maybe I'll find it

Captain K on
  • Options
    DracoGriffinDracoGriffin Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    yeah but keep in mind I don't really know what I'm doing

I'm just digging a huge mine shaft now, maybe I'll find it

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Sedimentary

You might've embarked on a location without one however.
    Chalk*, chert, claystone, conglomerate, dolomite*, limestone*, mudstone, rock salt, sandstone, siltstone and shale layers are sedimentary.

(* These also function as flux.)

The name of a sedimentary layer appears white on the embark menu.

DracoGriffin on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Is there any way to check the layers on my map now that I'm already in the game?

Captain K on
  • Options
    Extreme UnctionExtreme Unction Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Monarch wrote: »
    Ok so I'm stuck.

I apparently have an aquifier or a map wide river 4 z-levels down. I have tried dropping a few squares of each layer above into the water to fill it up, but the collapse doesn't fill the plug that I created. I channeled out a square, and then mimic'd that square up a few z-levels, then channeled the top one off and let it collapse all the way down.

Didn't work. I tried a pumping scenerio where I pumped and attempted to dig down while the water was low right next to the pump. Also didn't work.

What are your favorite ways to get past the underground sea?

I feel your pain, my brother. I ran into the same thing trying to get through an aquifer. I tried the cave-in method and could never get it to work. Questions about it on various forums usually went like this:

"I'm trying to get past this aquifer using the cave-in method, and it's not working. Any tips?"
    "Are you sure you're doing it exactly like it says on the wiki?"
    "Yep."
    "Dunno, man. It always works for me."

I finally got it to work a time or two, but frustratingly enough, I'm not sure what I did differently between the times it worked and the times it didn't.

My best suggestions (which you may already be implementing):
    • Make sure the hole you're trying to plug is at least 3x3. If it's 2x2, it won't work.
    • Make sure you're dropping whole tiles and not just floors.
    • Make sure you're dropping at least 2 z-levels into it. If you can do 3 z-levels, that's probably even better.

Good luck.

Extreme Unction on
    Have you found yourself reading Dwarf Fortress threads and thinking to yourself "Gosh! I would love to play this game! But the default ASCII graphics make me want to claw my eyes out and pour quartic ammonia into the bloody, empty sockets!"?

Well today may be your lucky day...
  • Options
    Extreme UnctionExtreme Unction Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Is there any way to check the layers on my map now that I'm already in the game?

See what kinda rock you've got the most of, and check the DF wiki to see what layers they show up in.

Extreme Unction on
    Have you found yourself reading Dwarf Fortress threads and thinking to yourself "Gosh! I would love to play this game! But the default ASCII graphics make me want to claw my eyes out and pour quartic ammonia into the bloody, empty sockets!"?

Well today may be your lucky day...
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

See what kinda rock you've got the most of, and check the DF wiki to see what layers they show up in.

There was a tool that let you do that in 40d, but not sure if there is one yet for 2010.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ok so I'm stuck.

I apparently have an aquifier or a map wide river 4 z-levels down. I have tried dropping a few squares of each layer above into the water to fill it up, but the collapse doesn't fill the plug that I created. I channeled out a square, and then mimic'd that square up a few z-levels, then channeled the top one off and let it collapse all the way down.

Didn't work. I tried a pumping scenerio where I pumped and attempted to dig down while the water was low right next to the pump. Also didn't work.

I feel your pain, my brother. I ran into the same thing trying to get through an aquifer. I tried the cave-in method and could never get it to work. Questions about it on various forums usually went like this:

"I'm trying to get past this aquifer using the cave-in method, and it's not working. Any tips?"
    "Yep."

I finally got it to work a time or two, but frustratingly enough, I'm not sure what I did differently between the times it worked and the times it didn't.

• Make sure the hole you're trying to plug is at least 3x3. If it's 2x2, it won't work.
    • Make sure you're dropping at least 2 z-levels into it. If you can do 3 z-levels, that's probably even better.

Good luck.

Any chance it will freeze in the winter? that at least would give you time to maybe boar through the bad level and wall off everything around the stairs.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    wavecutterwavecutter Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Looks like Saberclam has lots of sand. Time to build glass walls!

wavecutter on
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Since when do elves care whether you drag your finished goods to the depot in wooden bins, even if you don't attempt to sell the bins themselves?

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    SulSeekerSulSeeker Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Need to get down to the magma before I do that... not too much wood to go around and make charcol out of...

but yes... the above ground portion is going to have some glass bunkers, watchtowers and whatnot.

Autumn is posted here

Edit: 19 days in and another 8 dwarves, total of 24 now.
    Assigned Neckbeards
    Saphier - Miner - Done
    SulSeeker - Miner - Done
    Buttcleft -Expidition Leader - Done
    WaveCutter - Woodworker - Done
    Lux782 - Stoneworker - Done
    EndlessInfinity - Farmer - Done
    Nosalt - Engraver - Done
    MuddBudd - Butcher/brewer - Done

Unassigned Neckbeards
    Farmerx2
    Bowyer
    Fisherman
    Milker
    Siege Operator
    Peasant

Awating Neckbeards
    Ilmmad - Hunter -
    SithDrummer - Miner -
    Art Vandelay - Architect -
    TheKoolEagle - Medical -
    Juc - Soap maker -
    Firmus - Armory Dorf -
    Verdian - Captain Guard -
    Marken - Sword Dorf -
    Kris_xk - Dog Dorf? -
    Bliss101 - Cheese maker/Milker -
    Tiphareth - Female Soldier Dwarf -
    Monarch - Weaponsmith/Armorsmith -
    override367 - Bait Dorf -

SulSeeker on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Bummer, looks like my mountain doesn't go above the igneous layers at all. No coal for me? :(

Captain K on
  • Options
    DracoGriffinDracoGriffin Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bummer, looks like my mountain doesn't go above the igneous layers at all. No coal for me? :(

Coal isn't a huge deal if you have a ton of wood to chop.

Otherwise, just request it from the caravan. Or dig for magma. There are always solutions!

DracoGriffin on
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    SulSeeker wrote: »
    Need to get down to the magma before I do that... not too much wood to go around and make charcol out of...

But....you have a ton of trees waiting to be cut down.
    I suppose if you don't have a glass maker or bags then it's kind of pointless.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Otherwise, just request it from the caravan. Or dig for magma. There are always solutions!

I do have a ton of wood to chop.

I just remember back in the days of 2-D (the last time I dabbled in Dwarf Fortress) it was a cardinal sin to use wood for charcoal. I'm finding that my heavily forested map is regrowing trees pretty steadily, so I guess I shouldn't worry about it!

Captain K on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I do have a ton of wood to chop.

I just remember back in the days of 2-D (the last time I dabbled in Dwarf Fortress) it was a cardinal sin to use wood for charcoal. I'm finding that my heavily forested map is regrowing trees pretty steadily, so I guess I shouldn't worry about it!

You're a lot safer now because wood is much more plentiful. You'll find it when you hit caverns, merchants start to bring tons of it, you don't have to worry too much about having plenty of wood.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    azith28 wrote: »
    Ok so I'm stuck.

"Yep."

Good luck.

Any chance it will freeze in the winter? that at least would give you time to maybe boar through the bad level and wall off everything around the stairs.

I've already gotten through winter, no freezing. Hot biome. You may be thinking of the map I abandoned with the freezing ocean.

I was indeed collapsing dug out floors!! So how do I go about dropping undug squares? channel out a square AROUND undug area? Hrm. Might work. Crazy enough it might just work!!! lol

Monarch on
    Hail to the king baby!
    I WILL CROWN YOU!

• Options
    edited April 2010
    So, if my best-trained-and-equipped squad of axedwarves killed a dragon with no losses (only two of ten even got to it before it died) should I be safe to dig for some caverns?

Boy, I'm just full of questions today.

Captain K on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So, if my best-trained-and-equipped squad of axedwarves killed a dragon with no losses (only two of ten even got to it before it died) should I be safe to dig for some caverns?

Boy, I'm just full of questions today.

I generally like to wait until I'm packing some decent grade weaponry and some fairly skilled soldiers before I go cave exploring. Unless the dragon was severally underpowered I'd say it you're safe to do some more exploring.

If "Losing is fun" is the first rule of Dwarf Fortress, the second rule is probably "Ask a ton of questions"

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Combat is still pretty random. You should always be wary.

My woodcutter chopped off a trolls leg and killed it in a few swings, when at other times those buggers punch whole squads into bloody pulp.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    No, the second rule is implement every idea that pops into your head, and when it fails, make a hilarious forum post about the consequences.

edit - such as:

I had a fort going yesterday where I did a 70 floor deep staircase to get to the magma. In the process of this, I tapped into the roof of an underground cave. Didn't think much about this early on, and let it sit. Even had a forgotten beast show up who was unable to do anything because he couldn't reach the hole in the floor where my staircase was.

Fast forward a couple years, and a second forgotten beast shows up. "Eh, he can't get to me." He was pretty far away from my staircase so I ignored him too. A year later, he wanders directly under my staircase, and reveals to me that he has wings. Dude flies up into my fort and starts slaughtering everything. I had a backup plan for this event, three nearly completed walls that would seal my fort off from the underground. Except when I un-suspended the construction, the beast showed up and killed all my masons.

Five minutes later, everyone's dead! Beast had a bruised foot, and he's a little tired. Otherwise perfectly healthy.

It's okay, that fort was getting dull.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    xzzy's suggestion is an excellent one.

I think bronze is the best grade material I'm going to be able to wring out of this map, so I'm not going to wait for anything better.

Captain K on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That reminds me, I still gotta remake Rapture.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    That reminds me, I still gotta remake Rapture.

Don't we all, man.

TheOtherHorseman on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Sweet, just hit my first cavern. Time to save the game and go to work. :P

Captain K on
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Update on Sazir Mafoloddom, Working Mom, now known as Super Mom:

I had my main axedwarf squad, with giant war eagles, waiting for the Mountain Titan that was attacking my fortress, with the police force (including said working mom/captain of the guard) standing behind them ready to sacrifice themselves in a glorious last stand if the axedwarves fail.

What does Sazir do? She charges past the axedwarves and war eagles and engages the titan in a duel to the death, managing to dodge all of its attacks while still holding her two babies. A lot of hacking and wound-twisting follows, after which the titan is literally in pieces while Sazir and her babies remain unharmed, even if covered in blood. Now she's ecstatic because she "took joy in slaughter".

My favorite part:
    warbaby.png

It's a true family of warriors. Her hubby is part of the axedwarf squad now too.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    that's legendary

Captain K on
  • Options
    wavecutterwavecutter Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    Update on Sazir Mafoloddom, Working Mom, now known as Super Mom:

I had my main axedwarf squad, with giant war eagles, waiting for the Mountain Titan that was attacking my fortress, with the police force (including said working mom/captain of the guard) standing behind them ready to sacrifice themselves in a glorious last stand if the axedwarves fail.

What does Sazir do? She charges past the axedwarves and war eagles and engages the titan in a duel to the death, managing to dodge all of its attacks while still holding her two babies. A lot of hacking and wound-twisting follows, after which the titan is literally in pieces while Sazir and her babies remain unharmed, even if covered in blood. Now she's ecstatic because she "took joy in slaughter".

My favorite part:
    warbaby.png

It's a true family of warriors. Her hubby is part of the axedwarf squad now too.

I've been playing since the 2D days and have never found how to access the detailed battle reports. How do you get them?

wavecutter on