Options

Dwarf Fortress: Is that a legendary sock?

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Peewi wrote: »
    Could my wine being in the kitchen cause it not to be counted in the status screen?

The wine in your kitchen is a result of a meal having been made entirely out of liquid and then immediately disintegrating as a result. It's unrecoverable and will clutter up the kitchen until you destroy it.

Garthor on
  • Options
    chipmanchipman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    For those missing wine, check your stock for barrels of wine. There's a bug where a soldier will pick up a barrel and end up carting it around with him, holding it with one of his multitude of hands. You can recover it by setting a zone to garbage, finding the barrel, setting it to dump, then un-forbidding it (reclaiming) it from the garbage pile

I thought it was very suspicious when my recruits were all in the barracks with barrels of ale insisting they were doing "individual combat drill".

chipman on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Check out this metafilter thing.

http://www.metafilter.com/91329/April-Ascii-Fun#3057578

The dwarves were LAUGHING.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Amazing, put this one in the OP as well

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Garthor wrote: »
    Could my wine being in the kitchen cause it not to be counted in the status screen?

The wine in your kitchen is a result of a meal having been made entirely out of liquid and then immediately disintegrating as a result. It's unrecoverable and will clutter up the kitchen until you destroy it.

Good to know. The kitchen has been slated for removal and I'm waiting for a dwarf to remove it.

Peewi on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Man, that's amazing.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Apparently the wine wasn't in barrels, as pools of dwarven wine was left behind. I think I had around 40 in there. Oh well, at least I can get an uncluttered kitchen.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Apparently the wine wasn't in barrels, as pools of dwarven wine was left behind. I think I had around 40 in there. Oh well, at least I can get an uncluttered kitchen.

I always turn off booze as an ingredient anyway, as I want them to drink it.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    QuetzatcoatlQuetzatcoatl Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think I've recovered from my no food situation. Some migrants arrived and one of them was a hunter. Now I have meat.

I guess that hunter was going to feed the dwarves one way or another.

Quetzatcoatl on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I think I've recovered from my no food situation. Some migrants arrived and one of them was a hunter. Now I have meat.

He caught a couple of mountain goats, but now I have an idea for what to do if I run low on food again.

Peewi on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    what do you do if your map has no water -_-

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    wavecutterwavecutter Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Make sure you have plenty of booze and that no one gets hurt (injured dorfs only drink water)

wavecutter on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Dig for those caverns

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    kdrudy wrote: »

Dig for those caverns

i did and they just have

mud :(

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    I'm confused. On the status (z) screen it says I have 10 drink, but if I enter kitchen from there I have two entries for dwarven wine, one with 10 and the other with 46. What's up with that?

I've noticed the same inconsistency between Stocks and Kitchen. It might be that the stocks window doesn't list items that have hauling jobs assigned to them, dunno.

Another potentional issue here is that the Stocks screen lists stuff that doesn't belong to you. It's been pointed out before that Spider Thread will appear in the Stocks screen, but located in the Caverns.

The same goes for fish and meat that is scattered around the map. If a human or elf dies somewhere, their inventory will also be listed on the Stocks screen.

If you press the Tab button on the Stocks screen it will split out the entries. The ones that don't belong to you will show up in a yellow/orange color with an F (for forbidden) next to it. You can even zoom to it to see where it is.
    i did and they just have

mud

As mentioned, you can check your Stocks menu for Fish. Fish that are in water somewhere will show up. You can zoom to them (press Tab to split out the list to individual entries) and figure out where the underground water is, if there is any. There is a water bug that kills all the fish though, so this may not work in the current version.

Selner on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    kdrudy wrote: »

Dig for those caverns

i did and they just have

mud :(

Well, then you can at least grow crops and make booze to drink.

Dig to the next caverns, there should be some with water in 'em.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010

He caught a couple of mountain goats, but now I have an idea for what to do if I run low on food again.

Tame them, breed them.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    SulSeekerSulSeeker Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    SulSeeker on
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Looks like I've finally managed to get hunters working reliably.

One of the key elements to making that happen is to have an arsenal dwarf with a high Organizer skill, so he can always keep the available ammo list up to date. Making one dwarf both Manager and Arsenal dwarf is helpful, as he'll get skillups from both.

If you have a hunter refusing to pick up ammo, turn off his hunting labor and do the following.

Go to (m)ilitary, and the ammo section (f). Hunters should be listed there as a 'squad'. Assign the ammo you want them to use (I just picked bolts with 'any material'; looks like they'll use the best ones available). Then wait until the arsenal dwarf has done his thing and go back to the military screen. You should now see a list of ammo reserved for the hunters, like this:
    hunterammo.png

Then reactivate the hunting labors. It should work properly after that.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

That was incredible.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    TigTig Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ha. Ok. Since I started reading about DF, I've been marvelling at the enormous tracts of time I thought players invested in making a half-decent fortresses.

Now I just tried turning on the framerate counter, and I learned this: my game has been running at 7 fps.
    :lol::rotate: :(
    Silly goose etc.

Surely my three-years matured Athlon X2 Dual 6000+ isn't that shite?
    No. If I had to guess... It might be something to do with my gfx card being screwed and running without drivers? Maybe?
    Le sigh.

(Though it says something for DF that it's still really entertaining played at 1/5 speed...)

Tig on
  • Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If you have not done so, open up init.txt in [df folder]/data/init/ and change:
    [PARTIAL_PRINT:NO:2]

to something like:

[PARTIAL_PRINT:YES:100]

100 being just above whatever your set FPS is if I recall.

edit:

Also disabling TEMPERATURE and WEATHER in that same init.txt helps quite a bit. Embarking on a smaller square (say 3x3) helps, and genning a smaller world can also make a difference surprisingly.

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Tig wrote: »
    Ha. Ok. Since I started reading about DF, I've been marvelling at the enormous tracts of time I thought players invested in making a half-decent fortresses.

Now I just tried turning on the framerate counter, and I learned this: my game has been running at 7 fps.
    Silly goose etc.

No. If I had to guess... It might be something to do with my gfx card being screwed and running without drivers? Maybe?
    Le sigh.

(Though it says something for DF that it's still really entertaining played at 1/5 speed...)

You need (opengl) drivers for the card. It'll be a massive boost. I had a similar problem when I tried to play on my mom's computer which is brand new.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Tig wrote: »

Silly goose etc.

Le sigh.

Issues with video cards and DF are not unheard off.. try disabling graphics mode and see if you get a FPS boost. If not, it's entirely your processor. Disabling temperature and caveins will probably give the biggest bump in performance.

Other than that, capping population to 50 or 80 will help. And keep stray pets in cages, saves the game from having to do a bunch of pathfinding.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    What's the deal with turtles? I have a fishery guy at a fishery, set to prepare raw fish. He does fish but not turtles. What am I doing wrong?

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    TigTig Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Thanks for the help folks.

When the time comes that you need to spend money on your PC in order to run an ASCII game, then the time truly has arrived to spend some goddamned money on the PC

Tig on
  • Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    DF is a very very demanding game, its single threaded, and mega complex. The game keeps track of nerves and veins and whatnot in EACH dwarf, no real way to optimize that much.

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well, it's not the nerves that cause framerate problems.. it's the fact that you can have tens of thousands of items in the game, tens of thousands of tiles for units to path around in, and bits of code that try to update temperature and weather for every single tile.

xzzy on
  • Options
    SaphierSaphier Aka Errant Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Idoliside wrote: »
    What the hell, I start another fort, get things moving along quite nicely. Then my first migrants arrive and get slaughtered by trogladytes, leading them back to my fort and killing all my helpless dwarves. I was just getting my forge setup too.

I suppose it was a saving grace, the only damned rocks I could find was Chalk.

What I'd give for some chalk right now. I requested it along with other fluxes and all I got was one single stone.

Saphier on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    Looks like I've finally managed to get hunters working reliably.

One of the key elements to making that happen is to have an arsenal dwarf with a high Organizer skill, so he can always keep the available ammo list up to date. Making one dwarf both Manager and Arsenal dwarf is helpful, as he'll get skillups from both.

If you have a hunter refusing to pick up ammo, turn off his hunting labor and do the following.

Go to (m)ilitary, and the ammo section (f). Hunters should be listed there as a 'squad'. Assign the ammo you want them to use (I just picked bolts with 'any material'; looks like they'll use the best ones available). Then wait until the arsenal dwarf has done his thing and go back to the military screen. You should now see a list of ammo reserved for the hunters, like this:
    hunterammo.png

Then reactivate the hunting labors. It should work properly after that.

Thats a good idea doubling up manager and arsenal dwarf.

My hunter still complains about no ammo every now and then, I just toggle hunting off and back on on him and then he'll pick up bolts and continue on his way.

Saphier on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Nevermind about the turtles, he eventually got around to them.

I've finished my first spring. Things are going pretty well. We've got a little burrow, I'm going to dig out individual rooms next, I think. I think we're food and booze stable at the moment. I was a little too zoomed in at the beginning, so the mountain I thought I was digging into turned out to be a small hill next to a mountain. I don't mind so much, if I ever get the hang of things I'll just turn it into a barbican and expand into the nearby mountain. I've got the Stronghold soundtrack going while I play. Good times.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    SulSeekerSulSeeker Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Rerolling... who wants to be dorf'd in Sabercalm?

SulSeeker on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    xzzy wrote: »
    Well, it's not the nerves that cause framerate problems.. it's the fact that you can have tens of thousands of items in the game, tens of thousands of tiles for units to path around in, and bits of code that try to update temperature and weather for every single tile.

I'm very aware, it was just a reference to one of the many, many intricate systems in DF.

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ooh pick me! I call dibs on miner. ;)

Question: I started on an obsidian rich map (but sadly no magma thus far...) and set my stoneworker to make some stone swords... but the swords he churned out are ashen or oaken. Are they really obsidian (ie steel quality) ?

Saphier on
  • Options
    ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dorf me, cap'n.

I'll go with a hunter if possible. They have badass deaths.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If you have a second miner, count me in.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    BrianBrian Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    dorf me
    architect
    art vandelay

Brian on
  • Options
    EndlessInfinityEndlessInfinity Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'll be a dwarf if I can - I don't care what profession

EndlessInfinity on
    MH3 ID : Gernot 92TE9P
    SC2: Zwillinge
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    can i be the chief medical dorf?

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    can i be a peasant who doesn't do anything but smooth stone and eventually become a legendary engraver?

INeedNoSalt on