As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How can I play Front Mission?

TheManTheMan Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Games and Technology
: (

TheMan on

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    You may want to take a look at the rules thread.
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=6754

Specifically;
    2 ) Piracy and emulation :

* These may still be discussed as news issues, but any passing mention to methods, techniques or resources is strictly not allowed. Any violation of the above rule is grounds for immediate banning. Just don't do it.

To answer your question, you would need to buy a japanese ps2/import a copy of the game in order to play it.

Morkath on
  • Options
    IconoclysmIconoclysm Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Emulation and piracy aren't necessary, there is a DS remake available, about $20 on auction sites.

Iconoclysm on
    t=54717
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, I can't help ya with FM5. I would like to play it too, especially since from all I've read FM5 is one of the best in the series. That just adds insult the injury really. :(

In the meantime, you can play FM4 or FM3 if ya can find a copy. I think FM3 is way better then FM4 though.

FM3 has two different scenarios. Each one a different story, with different characters, battles, and even CG movies. Each scenario is easily 80-100 hours long and all on one PSOne disc no less! Plus the "internet" in FM3 is one of the more cooler things I've seen in a game. For a PSOne game, FM3 had an absurd amount of stuff in it.

Damn shame the next Front Mission is a third-person action game. :(

edit- Can we make this a general "We love Front Mission" thread? I was actually thinking about making one anyway. :P

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So, Front Mission Evolved. What's going on there?

Also, I never really got into FM3. By which I mean, I'd start it, play the hell out of it for like a week because it was awesome, forget about it for several months, and need to start over, which I've done several times now. I really need to beat this at some point.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Truth be told in FM3, I only beat the dude's Sister's scenario. I got stuck on the USN scenario. Unfortunately my disc seems to be KIA now :(.

All I know about FM:E is what is on the wiki.
    Front Mission Evolved is an upcoming third-person action video game developed by Double Helix Games and published by Square Enix. It is the latest in the Front Mission series of games and is scheduled to be released for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

The game is reportedly set in the year 2171, 50 years after the events of Front Mission 5: Scars of the War. The human race has started a massive push for space exploration through orbital elevators. However, tension rises when one of the elevators being built in USN North America is destroyed by unknown forces. Engineer Dylan Ramsey finds himself involved in a new war brewing between the OCU and the USN.

Not really excited about it being third-person action. I mean, it may turn out fun and all, but TBS games (and ones dealing with mechs even more so) are rare enough as is.

edit- Ugh, Double Helix's track record leaves much to be desired.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Iconoclysm wrote: »
    Emulation and piracy aren't necessary, there is a DS remake available, about $20 on auction sites.

That's front mission 1, unless I am horribly mistaken and they have also done a FM5 ds port, which I doubt.

Morkath on
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ugh.

The E3 trailer for Front Mission Evolved looks bloody awful. Like, Robot Jox meets Haze, with some of the worst parts of the old Battletech animated series into the mix.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Front Mission 5: The game absolutely nobody was asking for.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Page- wrote: »

Front Mission 5 was called Scars of the War, it was a turn-based strategy game like the rest of the series, but was never released outside Japan. A lot of people wanted it, badly.

Evolved just looks like crap from that trailer. It's a shame, I really hoped it would be good enough to hold us over until the developers, lawyers, and executives behind the Mechwarrior reboot get their heads out of their asses and finish that game.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Front Mission Evolved looked really meh when it was first being shown but there was a recent trailer that looked good except for the awful generic western big breasted woman character design.

I guess I prefer my big breasted women to be anime styled. Or preferably not fucking exist in a war drama.

JJ on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    HAHA, I knew this would be a piracy help request before even clicking. They ALWAYS word it as "How can I play _____?" for some reason.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Page- wrote: »

Front Mission 5 was called Scars of the War, it was a turn-based strategy game like the rest of the series, but was never released outside Japan. A lot of people wanted it, badly.

Evolved just looks like crap from that trailer. It's a shame, I really hoped it would be good enough to hold us over until the developers, lawyers, and executives behind the Mechwarrior reboot get their heads out of their asses and finish that game.

Whops. Don't know why I typed 5 instead of Evolved.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Front Mission: Gun Hazard was one of the better games for Super Famicom that never got released here. It's worth checking out if you have the means, it really is. It's a side scrolling platformer, but with tons of weapon customization (there are different mechs, but you can't part them out, and every one you get is better than the previous one). You can aim in any direction while moving and jumping around. It can be pretty hard, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRjZLH1J4wk

Gameplay starts at 3:40 or so.

By the end of the game you've got your standard rockets, homing missiles, lasers, grenades, flamethrowers, shotguns, vulcans, mech-punches...

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Having played both, I don't miss it over Cybernator.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    You know, I thought I noticed really strong similarities, but I only played Cybernator for maybe 15 minutes. Is it the same engine? Cybernator was a Konami game, so I think I dismissed the similarities at the time.

Edit: Wikipedia to the rescue! Apparently both were developed by Omiya Soft.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Front Mission: Gun Hazard was one of the better games for Super Famicom that never got released here. It's worth checking out if you have the means, it really is. It's a side scrolling platformer, but with tons of weapon customization (there are different mechs, but you can't part them out, and every one you get is better than the previous one). You can aim in any direction while moving and jumping around. It can be pretty hard, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRjZLH1J4wk

Gameplay starts at 3:40 or so.

By the end of the game you've got your standard rockets, homing missiles, lasers, grenades, flamethrowers, shotguns, vulcans, mech-punches...

WTF....

why the hell does that look like a reskinned Cybernators?

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Check out the edit to my post.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    DusT_HounDDusT_HounD Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    @Delzhand: Gun Hazard looks pretty sweet! Thanks for putting up the vid!
    How can i play it? (I kid, i kid.)

I remember when i was a young'un, back in the dark ages of the 1990s, i saw a feature on Gun Hazard, in one of the UK's SNES mags, Super Play, and being completely stoked, even though i'd likely never get to play it. They were really Japanophile, and always had cool import features, particularly if mecha were involved. Ollie Barder, who is behind the mech news site, Mecha Damashii, was a regular contributor to that mag, i believe. When the review came out, they didn't think it was particularly amazing, but that vid really makes me want to hit ebay and track down a cart.

DusT_HounD on
  • Options
    HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm skeptical along with everyone else about FME. Hopefully they'll put out a demo like Transformers before launch, to at least give us an idea of what we're looking at.

And yea, Front Mission 3 is my favorite so far, 4 wasn't bad, but I didn't put nearly the amount of time into it like I did with 3.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Problem with Gun Hazard vs Cybenator specifically is that Gun Hazard tries too hard to emulate the worst parts of RPGs in order to pad the game length, The majority of levels you play are just flat ground that you run across with a spattering of boring enemies. There's just no focus. The weapons are also really tame compared to Cybernator. And it all makes the game feel slow.

Page- on
    stream