As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[RIFT] "All the beta keys you can eat"

• Options
    ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm glad I got my VIP-key ages ago.

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So Nvidia sent me a beta invite key, and I did all it said to do.

Dont see a place to download client however, also it said my application was under review.

Touch confused right now.

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think on the previous page it says they send you an email within a day after you enter the key with download details.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's on, ladies and gents. Father Hartsman loves you.
    RIFT™ SET TO LAUNCH MARCH 1, 2011

Retail and Digital Pre-Order Start Today

REDWOOD SHORES, Calif. – January 4, 2011 – Trion Worlds, a global publisher and developer of premium online games, today announced that the upcoming MMORPG Rift™ is scheduled to launch in North America on March 1st and in Europe on March 4th. Today also marks the start of the game’s pre-order program through both digital and retail channels.

“The launch of Rift is the culmination of our tireless efforts over the past several years to bring players the most complete, full-featured, and dynamic online game they’ve ever experienced,” said Lars Buttler, CEO of Trion Worlds. “Through the dedication, creativity, and incredible track record of our veteran development team, we’ve been able to create an exceptionally polished and immersive online world filled with adventure, surprise, and beauty. We can’t wait to share Rift with players around the world.”

Beginning today, customers who pre-order Rift receive their choice of one-of-three exclusive in-game pets, and are eligible to participate in the head-start period anticipated to begin February 24th. Pre-order customers will also be granted access to play in all remaining closed-beta events. Beta details, including a regularly updated event schedule, are available at http://www.RIFTgame.com/beta.

Available for purchase online and at select retail outlets, the Standard, Digital Collector’s and Retail Collector’s Editions of the game will sell for $49.99, $59.99 and $79.99 USD, respectively. The standard monthly subscription rate for the game will be $14.99 USD.

Rift will also offer a limited-time “Founder’s Pricing” for players, featuring a $9.99 USD/month price for a multi-month subscription. For more information on Founder’s Pricing and subscription details, visit http://www.RIFTgame.com/subscriptions.

For all info on the Collector’s Editions, pre-order incentives, and subscription plans, please visit http://www.RIFTgame.com/preorder.

Rift is rated T for Teen by the ESRB with the following content descriptors: Alcohol Reference, Blood, Mild Language and Violence.

For the latest info on Rift, please visit http://www.RIFTgame.com/.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    So pretty much standard pricing then.

Founder's pricing is a bit crappy though, isn't $9.99/month what you pay for every other MMO on the market when you get multi-month subscriptions?

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Shanadeus wrote: »
    So pretty much standard pricing then.

Founder's pricing is a bit crappy though, isn't $9.99/month what you pay for every other MMO on the market when you get multi-month subscriptions?

No. It was with Lord of the Rings, but most MMOs do not go as low as 9.99 per month.

God, I can't wait for this.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm so torn on this so far. I haven't snagged any beta keys, but people I respect have come down on both sides in their criticism of it thus far. I've heard both 'bah, another subpar wowclone, nothing to see here,' but I've also heard 'no, it's different, finally, something that feels both new AND professional!'

It feels like it's going to be a long wait for GW2 and SWTOR (SW moreso), so it certainly would be pleasant to see this do well. I guess we'll see soon enough, because I can't fathom Cataclysm holding players nearly as long as previous expacs (not, of course, that everyone is snared by that vile beasty).

Straygatsby on
  • Options
    EllthiterenEllthiteren Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Launch date has been announced to be March 1.

Pre-order info is up here, and gets you into the remaining beta tests. I will be getting the collector's edition. I'm not sure if my guild will have an official branch, but at least some of us definitely will be playing in one guild or another.

Ellthiteren on
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Everything all said and done, I might try this later, but not at launch if it's in March.

That is the month Fear 3 comes out.

And I am a total horror game addict. And I like to restrict myself to one game a month (or else I go out of control and spend spend spend (THANK YOU STEAM HOLIDAY SALE grumble)). So depending on the TOR launch, we'll see about after that (because I am also a Bioware addict).

Astale on
  • Options
    SimpsonsParadoxSimpsonsParadox Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Been browsing the Rift website and assorted gameplay videos, and it's becoming harder and harder to refuse to impulse pre-order this without playing this. WoW without, well, WoW with intelligent multiclassing and polish? Yes please!

SimpsonsParadox on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I got in the beta, played around for a few hours and was bored out of my skull and have no had the desire to try it again since.

Graphics and music are nice, but outside of that it feels like WoW with a new paint job. Been there done that, didnt like it either. I was hoping to see something more fresh than yet another generic fantasy themed MMO. I'm sick of generic fantasy MMO's that all copy the basic gameplay of WoW. I'll be passng on this one for sure.:v:

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    YOU ARE LATE TO THE PARTY ELIMINATION

I keed I keed, but yeah, what he said is what 90% of people are going to see. The game could be made of awsomesauce but honestly, the timing, genre, and real lack of exposure (that doesn't make it look like a mediocre WoW clone) are probably going to leave this one twisting in the wind.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be proved otherwise, I'm just saying that's what it looks like at the moment.

Astale on
  • Options
    tricontricon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well it is true that trion did not create the next mmo version and sometimes the "stole" a little to much from other games but if you play MMOs since 97 you really don't see much different stuff anyway..

My first impression on the defiant side was, uhh this looks like the chaos warhammer side. After I got out at lvl 6 it was more uh cool the got the gnolls from EQ2 but change the names. ;-)

However after a few hours I like it, one thing this game has that other MMOs last year missed 3 month from launch was polish. Look at STO, FE, MO, FFXIV or DC.
    So far it seems at last in a much better shape then the other games atm.

I do like the the soulsystem to change your class a little and it was easy to go from the cleric base class to full heal spec, tank or dps when you switch out the souls.
    Or turn out you mage from a single dps pet class to a full aoe one, the system has some good synergy between the souls...
    Even changing your main mage from Elementalist(20)/Dominator(6) to Dominator(20)/Elementalist(6) offers new game tactics even when both use the same tanking pet.

The rift systems start more or less out of the basic warhammer public quest system but add in invasions (the last beta event was quite cool) and that this little invasion can go down and kill
    your quest npc or take over small outpost it adds more dynamic to the game.

But yeah if you want a absolute new gameplay try DCO if you like console gaming or maybe Tera will more suits you.

tricon on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Alright, I gave in and pre-ordered this. Is there any form of PA guild up for the beta events/planned for the beta events/release?

SimpsonsParadox on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Got two physical copies pre-ordered at Gamestop, and one digital copy pre-ordered online. I'm good to go for this.

Simpsons, I don't think many people are going to be picking this up, so I'm not sure if a PA guild is going to work out well.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm tempted to pick this up, but I'm kind of torn. The gameplay really didn't grab me, but I like the setting/story playing as the rebel faction, and the character models are beautiful. Her animations were kind of odd, though, so that did concern me.

Artereis on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Artereis wrote: »
    I'm tempted to pick this up, but I'm kind of torn. The gameplay really didn't grab me, but I like the setting/story playing as the rebel faction, and the character models are beautiful. Her animations were kind of odd, though, so that did concern me.

It's all about story and setting for me. It might turn out to be the same for you.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The Sneak! wrote: »
    Simpsons, I don't think many people are going to be picking this up, so I'm not sure if a PA guild is going to work out well.

Hmm. Are you able to create user made channels in game at least?

SimpsonsParadox on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There were approximately 30 billion channels in the channel options last CB, so I believe that is a yes to there being user created channels.

Also I got myself a Digital Collector's copy so I am golden for Rift making's for the next few beta event's with PA homps.

Transporter on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    There's apparently been quite a lot of ruckus about the European pricing in the RIFT forums.

Prices in question (bolded the relevant):
    * Monthly
    * $14.99/month
    €12.99/month
    £8.99/month
    * $14.99 / € 12.99 / £8.99

Billed every month

* 3-Month
    * $11.99/month
    €10.99/month
    £6.99/month
    * $35.97 / € 32.97 / £20.97

Billed every 3 months

* 6-Month
    * $9.99/month
    €9.99/month

£5.99/month
    * $59.94 / € 59.94 / £35.94

Billed every 6 months

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The presence of a EQ Magician type class has nearly sold me.

If I just wasn't so burned out on MMORPG's altogether. Somebody really needs to do something different.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah € vs $ is still a little fubar but if you count in tax the price seems fair.

The was a post in the riftforums today http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?19960-Rift-20-off-at-D2D for a little trick to save cash on the box price even for europeans.

If you use the US d2d and not the uk shop and add the coupon from the rift forum post you save 20% on the $ price, add in your local country tax and you will end
    <40€ compare this to the steam or £ d2d (uk) deluxe digital version. :shock:

tricon on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    tricon wrote: »
    Yeah € vs $ is still a little fubar but if you count in tax the price seems fair.

The was a post in the riftforums today http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?19960-Rift-20-off-at-D2D for a little trick to save cash on the box price even for europeans.

If you use the US d2d and not the uk shop and add the coupon from the rift forum post you save 20% on the $ price, add in your local country tax and you will end
    <40€ compare this to the steam or £ d2d (uk) deluxe digital version. :shock:

That's not really what the fuzz is all about, the problem is that the euro price is for the first month and the three month package lower than the US dollar price:
    * Monthly
    * $14.99/month
    €12.99/month
    £8.99/month
    * $14.99 / € 12.99 / £8.99

* 3-Month
    * $11.99/month
    €10.99/month
    £6.99/month
    * $35.97 / € 32.97 / £20.97

But when it comes to six months they suddenly turn it around and put it at the same price:
    * 6-Month
    * $9.99/month
    €9.99/month
    £5.99/month
    * $59.94 / € 59.94 / £35.94

So you can't really chalk it up to vat, because if so - why wasn't the prices the same for the montly and 3-monthly price?

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Ah sorry was looking only at the one monthly. You are right the 3 month and 6 month looks fishy.

I have no idea why, maybe abo data mining eu vs us says otherwise or the company crystal ball says: the European currency will crash in summer thanks
    to Portugal and Spain or in autum the US economic will suffer even more after the trade war starts with china....... :wink:

tricon on
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Maybe it's just a typo?

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Beltaine wrote: »
    Maybe it's just a typo?

What, assuming basic human ignorance and fat fingers/long nights before evil conspiracy meant to keep the Euro down? What type of internet citizen are you?

That being said, the emails for beta 4 are being sent out now. I hope I get mine sometime today so I can download the content on my good internet over the night instead of on my crappy apartment internet.

SimpsonsParadox on
  • Options
    Blinks77Blinks77 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Already got mine. Really rather looking forward to putting the PvP through it's paces. Not that i'm expecting rainbows and sparkles but there's only so much Badcompany 2 i can take without wanting to kill people in something else.

Blinks77 on
  • Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I got sent a beta thing by nvidia, and now nothing, not even a client download link.

Seriously, Im not buying a game I havent tested or at least had a demo of.

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    MrIamMe wrote: »
    I got sent a beta thing by nvidia, and now nothing, not even a client download link.

Seriously, Im not buying a game I havent tested or at least had a demo of.

Did you activate that key on your account? If you did, just wait. They're still sending out emails to everyone, and probably will be up until Friday morning (the servers open at 10 AM PST tomorrow). If they still don't, you should be able to contact CS (which it seems is pretty on the ball with this stuff).

SimpsonsParadox on
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just got mine and am downloading it while I head off to work! 7.43 gigs!

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Maybe it's just a typo?

Perhaps it is, but you'd think they'd have said so by now.
    Or maybe they're gauging people's reaction and wondering if they can get away with this typo being the actual price.

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Cooome on servers, get up already.

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    HartsmanHartsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Maybe it's just a typo?

Or maybe they're gauging people's reaction and wondering if they can get away with this typo being the actual price.

Just asked our pricing/finance/international currency folks about it.

We'll get an answer to this up on the forums today.

Hartsman on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm in! So sweet.

Can't wait to mess about with this this weekend. I was considering pre-ordering JUST to get in on the beta, but then I realized that this was foolery.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What server are we messing about in this on?

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Hartsman wrote: »
    Maybe it's just a typo?

Just asked our pricing/finance/international currency folks about it.

We'll get an answer to this up on the forums today.

Good stuff!
    MrVyngaard wrote: »
    What server are we messing about in this on?

I'm on the PVP-RP server, can't remember the name right now but I think there's only just one.

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Rolled Defiant, went Paladin/Warlord/Paragon.

Like the atmosphere so far.

Name's Divada.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So, how do I go about getting into the beta? I've pre-ordered the CE on Steam, applied the CD Key to my Trion account, but I don't see anything about a beta key anywhere.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    MrVyngaard wrote: »
    Rolled Defiant, went Paladin/Warlord.

Like the atmosphere so far.

Name's Divada.

You're in for a treat.

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm in. Rawr. Feels like WoW with higher resolution graphics. Assassin/Riftstalker/Nightblade so far.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
This discussion has been closed.