As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Beer of the Week

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Darmak wrote: »
    Sheri wrote: »
    Also, I do not like wine, it has a weird aftertaste to it.

Except mead, that stuff is pretty good.

Ugh I bought 3 bottles mead off of woot.com once (it came that way for el cheapo and Mom and I split the cost)

I think two of the bottles are still in the house somewhere and we trashed the one that we opened.

I'll take them off your hands if you'd like, it's hard to find mead here. :P

I don't know as much about mead as I do about other wines

How long does it stay good :P

Sheri on
  • Options
    XyyzXyyz Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I did not say that all wine tastes the same.

I'm just saying that all wine tastes like slight variations on fermented grape juice, and that no wine has ever tasted of 'rose petals, lychee, wet stone, and ripe pineapple'.

Xyyz on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I had some mead one time. It was bad. Really bad.

I would describe the taste as a mix of pine tree and headache.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Xyyz wrote: »

I'm just saying that all wine tastes like slight variations on fermented grape juice, and that no wine has ever tasted of 'rose petals, lychee, wet stone, and ripe pineapple'.

To you

I've had wines that have tasted (or smelled) to me like all of those, and tobacco, leather, peaches, etc.

Usagi on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Also, I do not like wine, it has a weird aftertaste to it.

Except mead, that stuff is pretty good.

Ugh I bought 3 bottles mead off of woot.com once (it came that way for el cheapo and Mom and I split the cost)

I think two of the bottles are still in the house somewhere and we trashed the one that we opened.

I'll take them off your hands if you'd like, it's hard to find mead here. :P

I don't know as much about mead as I do about other wines

How long does it stay good :P

I'm not sure, I don't know much about mead either other than it's hella easy to make and that I like it.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Incorrect

I have had distinct flavors hit my nose and tongue while drinking wine

It didn't happen as often when I first started drinking it, but the more you try, the more flavors you get

Sometimes I think they're reaching a bit with the tasting notes, but usually wines DO taste like a variety of things. Just because YOU don't taste them doesn't mean that others don't, either.

'No video game has ever had a moving, meaningful character because they're all just a bunch of 1s and 0s in a computer'

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    I had some mead one time. It was bad. Really bad.

I would describe the taste as a mix of pine tree and headache.

Yeah, we weren't a fan

We didn't even bother opening the raspberry mead D:

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Maybe I just really, really like the taste of honey. :D

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, I don't think anyone is arguing that you can't tell the difference between wines. They are arguing that you can pull every tiny flavor out of each one. As a matter of fact...

http://scienceblogs.com/cortex/2007/11/the_subjectivity_of_wine.php

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    iamthepiemaniamthepieman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Usagi wrote: »

To you

I've had wines that have tasted (or smelled) to me like all of those, and tobacco, leather, peaches, etc.

I wonder how this guy's tasting notes read.

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm pretty mad that you can't ship alcohol to/from PA, damned outdated laws.

You've got to admit that there's some hokey bunkum that goes into wine tasting, like this.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, I don't think anyone is arguing that you can't tell the difference between wines. They are arguing that you can pull every tiny flavor out of each one. As a matter of fact...

Article says that the taste of wine is subjective

And that's what I'm saying?

I'm saying that just because you can't taste it doesn't mean others can't and that you shouldn't be making blanket statements about such things?

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I knew it!

Wine tastes like goddamn wine!

Xyyz on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Hell Raij, the last part of that article is more about how our subjective brains react to outside influences while trying to describe input from just one sense (label translates to taste, when taste is what should be described alone).

If you had them taste the exact same wine twice, from a set of unlabeled bottles, and the same person came back with drastically different tasting notes, that might be kind of interesting.

Sheri on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I'm saying that just because you can't taste it doesn't mean others can't and that you shouldn't be making blanket statements about such things?

How about I run it through the GC-Mass Spec and tell you if there are any comparable compounds to things like rose petals, pineapple, leather, tobacco, mouse piss, turpentine, peaches, or whatever? I can do that you know.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I knew it!

That's not really it at all, actually.

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Hunter wrote: »

How about I run it through the GC-Mass Spec and tell you if there are any comparable compounds to things like rose petals, pineapple, leather, tobacco, mouse piss, turpentine, peaches, or whatever? I can do that you know.

That would actually be really cool, but that still doesn't mean that just because it has a compound similar to peaches, that I will taste peaches and not, like, pears. I dunno. Palate is subjective, and this silly goose is suggesting that everyone says that their palate tells them something other than 'fermented grape juice' is lying about it.

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Hey, we should stop talking about whether or not wine tastes like bull piss and leather and hobo sweat and instead talk about beers we like (or if wine and/or whiskey are you thing, those too).

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Hunter, if you do this, I will brew a beer just for you.

hints of grass, chipmunk, tarmac, burnt oatmeal.

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Hey, we should stop talking about whether or not wine tastes like bull piss and leather and hobo sweat and instead talk about beers we like (or if wine and/or whiskey are you thing, those too).

What are you, the content police? :P

EDIT: I don't wanna drink beer that tastes like chipmunk D:

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

How do you know? Have you ever tasted chipmunk?

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

No, I just didn't want to read y'all arguing for another few pages. :P

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010

That would actually be really cool, but that still doesn't mean that just because it has a compound similar to peaches, that I will taste peaches and not, like, pears. I dunno. Palate is subjective, and this silly goose is suggesting that everyone says that their palate tells them something other than 'fermented grape juice' is lying about it.

No, there are known organic compounds that give banana the taste of banana, and a similar yet different compound would clearly be peach or apple or whatever. Now you're right that some people may taste pear as apple or peach as nectarine due to how similar those would be, but I assure you they would be unique. Unless you're fucked up you won't taste strawberry as something like banana.

Hunter on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ah, behatted teenagers were having a party next to my house. The Lord God himself sent a thunderous hail storm and me to watch.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Ah, behatted teenagers were having party next to my house. The Lord God himself sent a thunderous hail storm and me to watch.

Hahaha

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I knew it!

That's not really it at all, actually.

Well the guy makes an effort to go for the 'subjective experience' cop-out in the last paragraph, the studies he quotes seems to indicate that wine critics pull all this nonsense about leather and violets out of the ether.

You know what isn't bollocks though? Whiskey critics, or at least the good ones.

When they say a whiskey tastes of peat, that's because it actually has goddamn peat in it.

Xyyz on
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I like beers that taste like fresh bread. Also, dark beers (Sam Adams Cream Stout is pretty good, sometimes I get a bottle that tastes exactly like coffee, but then sometimes I also get a bottle that tastes like pennies. WTF Sam Adams???)

Peccavi on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Peccavi wrote: »
    I like beers that taste like fresh bread. Also, dark beers (Sam Adams Cream Stout is pretty good, sometimes I get a bottle that tastes exactly like coffee, but then sometimes I also get a bottle that tastes like pennies. WTF Sam Adams???)

They are really inconsistent. Their oktoberfest last year was just abominable.

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Young's Chocolate Stoudt is fantastic.

Also, friends and I are getting together and beginning to brew our own stuff. Should be delicious and hilarious all at once.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I looked on the back of the bottle of wine I was drinking last night and it said it tasted of "leather and a hint of dung".

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Peccavi wrote: »

That coppery taste is skunked beer. When the hops break down in beer during the processing, you get compounds called isohumulones. When exposed to UV light over time, those can break down even farther to form intermediates of all kinds. Certain of those intermediates when combined with sulfur produce specific aromatic compounds that are quite the same as the chemicals skunks spray in self defense.

EDIT:

Sam Adams is a very hop filled beer, and they use multiple types depending on which recipe. Even in amber glass, if exposed to enough light or just old, it will get that bitter, nasty copper taste. The company actually addresses it well and tries to only keep fresh stuff on market.

Hunter on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dark beers are the best, hoppy beers are the worst.

I thought Sam Adams' Oktoberfest was bad this past year too, I thought I was just wrong.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I looked on the back of the bottle of wine I was drinking last night and it said it tasted of "leather and a hint of dung".

Ahahah I love that

Sheri on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    I figure if you give most people a bottle of wine and tell them how it tastes like peaches most people are going to agree it tastes like peaches because they don't want to seem stupid.

This doesn't really have to do with the discussion at hand, I'm just saying most people are idiots.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I used to really like Magic Hat beers. Recently though, it seems like they just make the blandest beers. I can't tell if it's because I've started drinking hoppier and fuller flavored beers or if they have just started making crap.

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ah! I've been trying to remember the name of a single malt I had a while back since someone mentioned whiskey and it's finally come back to me. It's called, I kid you not, 'Keith Richards meets Socrates'. Great stuff, smokey as hell and had a kick to it like a goddamn Clydesdale horse.

Xyyz on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ah! I've been trying to remember the name of a single malt I had a while back since someone mentioned whiskey and it's finally come back to me. It's called, I kid you not, 'Keith Richards meets Socrates'. Great stuff, smokey as hell and had a kick to it like a goddamn Clydesdale horse.

Hints of being kicked by a horse, with a touch of being dumped by your girlfriend. Notes of despair and epiphany.

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    If I was going down that road, I'd probably say it had subtle hints of Tyrannosaurus on the palette.

I mean seriously, I had a couple of glasses and then couldn't smell or taste anything other than whiskey for hours.

Xyyz on
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Speaing of smokey as hell, I'm going to put forward that the south of the isle of Islay makes the best whisky in the world.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm starting my MBA tonight. That is, Masters of Beer Appreciation. There is a bar nearby that has a buttload of beers from all over. If you drink all of the ones on the list, you get a discount for life, your name on the wall, and probably a free session of addiction counseling with Dr. Drew.

Dr. Frenchenstein on